Applewhite Out

deech

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Nothing pissed UH off. Their AD made comments about winning 10 games being the expectation at Houston and then Applewhite couldn't meet those expectations. They were dumb expectations when you look at Houston's history. 

I think this all comes back to Texas. After Texas took Herman they were pissed off and tried to act like they were a big boy program. Instead they backed themselves into a corner with unrealistic expectations because their AD, donors, and president are idiots. 

Herman is certainly part of it - but I'm sure that there is still some resentment over how they were perceived in the Big12 'expansion search' - and thats carrying over in how they're dealing with a couple of less than 10 win seasons.

UH is a clusterfuck right now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I assumed they fired Applewhite because Tilman had already committed big dollars to Dana or someone else.  24 hours later and not one leak about a coach already lined up leads me to believe they fired Applewhite without a plan in place to replace him - thats fucking nuts.

Dana's buyout goes down on 1.1.19. If Dana is not announced by 1.2.19, then I agree it is nuts. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jacob McCandles said:

Dana's buyout goes down on 1.1.19. If Dana is not announced by 1.2.19, then I agree it is nuts. 

Didn't know that about the buyout.  Going to be interesting.  I'm assuming the KK stuff was mostly bullshit - they might have gauged interest but they had to know he wasn't taking it.

If UT-PB can start up a football program, UT-RGV can do it as well.  Shit, they're talking about starting one again up between UT-Arlington and UT-Dallas and there's serious money behind those propositions.  

Would that guy really leave WVU for Houston though?  I don't get the angle.  

26 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If UT-PB can start up a football program, UT-RGV can do it as well.  Shit, they're talking about starting one again up between UT-Arlington and UT-Dallas and there's serious money behind those propositions.  

I think the angle may be that WVU and Holgerson both might decide its time to go their separate ways.  WVU had a vary talented Senior-laden team and they finished with 8 wins.  I know that there are definitely fans who think Dana's teams have under-performed the last couple of years.  That team next year, with all of those Seniors and Grier leaving - might be dog shit.  Dana might not be as hot a property after next season - he could be looking to get as much guaranteed cash as he can now - before the shine is gone.

He also, allegedly, loved Houston and would be willing to go back. 

I get the feeling Holgo has never really been happy in Morgantown and WVU was not really happy with him playing hardball over an extension. If they both move on from each other, so be it.

I don’t think this helps UH that much and WVU will move on to another O driven guy like Troys N. Brown 

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Nothing pissed UH off. Their AD made comments about winning 10 games being the expectation at Houston and then Applewhite couldn't meet those expectations. They were dumb expectations when you look at Houston's history. 

I think this all comes back to Texas. After Texas took Herman they were pissed off and tried to act like they were a big boy program. Instead they backed themselves into a corner with unrealistic expectations because their AD, donors, and president are idiots. 

much worse

it was the university president that said it a very short time after Major was hired

and they are pissed about Briled to Baylor, Rummy to A&M and then finally Herman to UT and they let tilman tell the world that UH was going to make sure that no coach could just come there and leave in a couple of years without a huge buyout and that UH was not going to promise huge money to a coach for being fired.....and all the top coaches and coordinators said PASS

12 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

I can't see him going back there they are a lot of their idiot fans that are pissed he left and do not trust he would stay long if he came back.....he saw first hand what the buyout bullshit was like for Major to deal with along with the 8 win mandate and he knows what their talent and schedule is next year and they would absolutely demand a massive buyout for him if he did come back

he could have stayed for one more year and probably taken over after Major was hired if he thought that the job was his and the offense was not the reason they were losing.....and at FSU if the offense is decent he has just as good of a chance to take over there if everything else is shit like special teams, clock management and defense......or if everything is good he has every chance to move on for a head coaching job that does not involve tilman and renu and even more so one that will allow him to have his dad creep back into the picture

he knows how to play the game he was with Kiffen a year, moved to UH and then to FSU he is moving onward and upward ASAP not returning to shit shows especially one that distrust his family already

Kendal Briles fucked over Major hard. Major went out on a limb to help out his former teammate who was considered by most programs to have the stench of his father on him. Major stuck his neck out for him and Kendal true to his family legacy of being complete cunts bolts at the first opportunity. IMO, UH would have stuck with Major for another year had Kendal stayed. With both the OC and DC gone, it made it easier to rationalize to get rid of Major. Fuck the Briles’. Garbage family.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Holgo loved living in Houston. He was a big fan of Front Porch Pub from what I have heard. That place has the best bar food in Houston. UH is waiting for Holgo’s buyout to reduce from $2.5 to $ 1 million which is significant cash for a G5 program. I don’t get the attitude that UH should “know it’s place”. It’s a very expected and arrogant attitude to have which is to be expected from our fanbase. There is no reason for them not to try to achieve to be in consistently the Boise and UCF level.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1

I don't doubt that he'd move back guys, not my point.  Just given the landscape this particular off-season, it would surprise me a bit---that's all.  UH continues to baffle me.  It's at once the flagship of a system that the state wants to absorb into another system.  And at the same time, it's a crazy bastard that keeps outpunching its weight.  

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Kendal Briles fucked over Major hard. Major went out on a limb to help out his former teammate who was considered by most programs to have the stench of his father on him. Major stuck his neck out for him and Kendal true to his family legacy of being complete cunts bolts at the first opportunity. IMO, UH would have stuck with Major for another year had Kendal stayed. With both the OC and DC gone, it made it easier to rationalize to get rid of Major. Fuck the Briles’. Garbage family.

I agree it was a dick move, but Major knew what he was getting into

plus even if briles had stayed he could have fucked over Major next year simply by refusing to ever run a ball control offense and just lighting up the score board while UH got throttled and lost and then there would be calls for him to take over and find a decent DC

I think briles probably thought that was a possibility, but when he saw what a shit show UH really was and he saw FSU and Tennessee interested in him he decided the better move was to just get out

Major basically put his entire head coaching career on green 00 and the ball went to green 0.......it will be a decade before Major sniffs a head coaching job again and that probably includes trying to go to D1-AA

he knew he was fucked after the first year and briles was a long shot that Major could get to 9 wins this year and hold on for 8 wins next year and GTFO Houston for any job.....I meant it when I said it he should have jumped to Texas State it would have been huge news and if he had won 7 or 8 games there and took them to a bowl game he would be a hot prospect for a ton of places

43 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Serves him right for trusting a Briles.

backstab_38464.png

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Cougar high is more like and insta thot that makes you think she’s fucking hot because she flaunts her body, but without the makeup and camera angles and other window dressing, isn’t anything special, all while having zero personality and nothing of substance yet thinking she deserves all the attention. 

Edited by taybo20
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Cougar high is more like and insta thot that makes you think she’s fucking hot because she flaunts her body, but without the makeup and camera angles and other window dressing, isn’t anything special, all while having zero personality and nothing of substance yet thinking she deserves all the attention. 

2156695438_6c828c0051_o_d.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I don't think KK was all that great as an HC and he should of stayed an OC for a few more years to get some seasoning like many others (like Major) before jumping into the big boy coaching ranks.  Or they should of taken an FCS or mid major HC before jumping into a high profile HC job.  Assuming one wants to call Cougar High a high profile job in Major's case.

I will give KK credit for recognizing the need to improve Tech's defense and they made strides in the right direction in that area this season.   The lack of D is what kept Tech from really being taken seriously as a Big 12 title contender even under the great Mike Leach because everyone knew once Tech played the Horns or Ou Sucks,  Tech would simply get out scored eventually by several TD's and which both did to Tech during the balance of Leach's tenure.  

Yeah...because beating OU and Texas when they were consistently Top 10 caliber programs is a fair measure of success,  right?  The Big XII then was arguably better than the SEC overall now, and nobody is as good as the Big XII South was during that run.  

CSB -- We had our backyard redesigned a few years ago by Bo Burris, one of Yeoman's star QBs. He told us how the veer came about. I forget all the details, but as I recall, it was on a busted play in practice. Bo and one of the RBs fucked up a handoff and more or less a joke, Bo flipped the ball off to the other back, who took off for a long gain. Up in the tower Yeoman gets on his bullhorn and says "Do that again." And they did, this time on purpose, and then again and again and again, the rest of that day and for more than a decade after.  

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

Shit, Tilman may not be a gambler himself, but he knows that sometimes long shots pay off. And man would it be entertaining if he hired Kevin Kelley, that HS coach in Arkansas who almost never punts and kicks onside almost every time. And then you go out and build a no-huddle offense and win your nine-ten games a year by scores like 75-60 by just grinding the other team's D in the ground. 

Holy shit....I hadn't read this before just now, but like two days ago I was thinking that some coach ought to work on a way of bringing back downfield laterals to the game

Spoilered for length. 

Spoiler

Kevin Kelley, the head football coach at Pulaski Academy in Arkansas, has gained renown in recent years for his gonzo football philosophy. He is the coach who almost never punts and almost always kicks onside after scores. The strategy has made his teams consistently successful and provided him minor, cultish fame. He is 77-17 at Pulaski, with two state championship appearances. It’s weird. It also works.

Kelley is a rogue, just a high school coach, but his ideas are taken seriously. He’ll be featured next week, for the second time, on HBO Real Sports. Several NFL coaches have called to discuss his strategy, he said. At the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference this spring, Atlanta Falcons executive Scott Pioli asked to meet Kelley and picked his brain for an hour.

[The woman who throws touchdowns and catches killers]

Kelley’s philosophy hatched from his devotion to statistical analysis. The underlying math and probability made him believe that possession in football had been astonishingly undervalued, and that it was irrational to give the ball away when you had a chance to keep it. Only convention dictated normal punting and kickoff patterns. Imagine, he likes to say, if punting had never been part of football. What would fans think if a coach suddenly sent out a specialized player to kick away the ball after three plays?

At that Sloan conference this spring, another statistical insight led Kelley to another radical notion, which he plans to unleash this fall. It could be crazy. It could be genius. It’s probably a little bit of both. With football season around the corner, it’s definitely fun to contemplate.

“It might be horrible,” Kelley said. “But there’s a lot of thought that went into it.”

Kelley used an ESPN database to study college football history. He found that historically, there was no bigger indicator of victory than winning the turnover margin – teams that forced more turnovers than they committed won 80 percent of the time. But last season, Kelley said, a new trend emerged for the first time: Teams that recorded more plays of at least 20 yards won about 81 percent of the time.

It made sense to Kelley – bigger chunks of yardage meant scoring quicker and less opportunity to commit turnovers and drive-killing penalties. He became obsessed with finding a system designed for big plays. He found that on plays when two players touched the ball – a typical handoff or pass – teams gained 20 yards about 10 percent of the time. But when at least three players touched the ball – a trick play with a lateral involved – the percentage for gaining 20 yards rose to around 20 percent.

[Fantasy Football Cheat Sheet: Why study when you can cheat?]

“That got me thinking,” Kelley said. “How could we develop a system for more than two people to touch the ball?”

One day, watching television, Kelley stumbled across a rugby game. That was it. Rugby teams built designed plays despite constant movement, an intricate series of laterals. Teammates didn’t block for the ball carrier; they rushed to the right spot to receive a pitch.

And so Kelley instituted a new system. When he calls out “Rugby!” before an offensive series, his wide receivers change their assignment. Rather than blocking downfield, they rush toward the receiver who catches the ball. If they’re open, they yell the receiver’s name and which side they’re on. He tells his players only to pitch the ball when they’re sure it’s safe.

Essentially, Kelley’s offense will run the option – after a completed pass down the field.

But one potential glitch stands out. Trick plays usually gain more yardage because of deception rather than design. Would those plays gain 20 yards less often because the defense could prepare? Kelley understands the potential problem, but believes the defense’s expectation for a lateral would actually help his offense.

One of the hardest tasks on a football field, Kelley reasons, is open-field tackling. It’s why defensive coordinators tell their players to swarm to the ball. By changing his extra receivers from blockers to potential pitch men, Kelley hopes he’ll force extra tacklers to stay with them and give the pass receiver more space to operate.

The field would be stretched in a different way. Think about a basketball offense with strong three-point shooters stationed in the corner. Even if they never get the ball, their presence means more space for other players.

“Let’s say we could successfully complete a pitch three times a game,” Kelley said. “The guy with the ball is going to be in more one-on-one situations down the field. Even if it’s not working as well, I do think opposing coaches are going to have to change the way they defend the field.”

The other problem is that laterals will ratchet up the risk of turnovers. Kelley is even less concerned with that. If his players practice the plays, there’s no reason downfield laterals shouldn’t be precise and relatively safe.

“The downfield pass sounded risky at one time, too,” Kelley said. “Oh my gosh, you throw it in the air, whoever catches it, it’s their ball!”

Even if Kelley’s offense works this fall, it’s not going to change much outside of the Arkansas 5A-Central Conference. Despite his success derived from not punting, no copycats have sprung up at higher levels. Football coaches are too wedded to convention, scared by the knowledge that losing traditionally is safer than trying to win radically. Kelley is just fine with that.

“I don’t want anybody else doing this,” Kelley said. “With not punting and the onside kicks, I know I have a stat advantage. If this works, I want everybody thinking this is stupid, too.”

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Holgo loved living in Houston. He was a big fan of Front Porch Pub from what I have heard. That place has the best bar food in Houston. UH is waiting for Holgo’s buyout to reduce from $2.5 to $ 1 million which is significant cash for a G5 program. I don’t get the attitude that UH should “know it’s place”. It’s a very expected and arrogant attitude to have which is to be expected from our fanbase. There is no reason for them not to try to achieve to be in consistently the Boise and UCF level.

In 2015 UCF went 0-12 and in 2016 they went 6-7.  I'm not sure I would call them consistent.  

edit to add:

Edited by SDG

Those who think UH is crazy for not recognizing Major as being "at their standard" are kind of missing the point. With Major, they sold their souls to the Devil; who else would have hired tape-fingers?

And if you're going to sell your soul and still not win anything of value, then it's time to change course.

WVU thinking is there has been internal fighting over Holgorsen hire since he was hired. Holgerson has publicly said as much. They are about to go into rebuild mode after losing a lot of talent and reaching what was though to be "their year" in 2018.  Might as well regroup, quell the internal issues and get paid $1M while doing it.

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Dunno, if I were hiring a coach, I don't think "he loves to party in public" would be high on my list of resume bullet points. 

17 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Houston wants to hire a guy that has won 10 games in a season only twice in 8 seasons because they won’t accept anything less than 9-10 wins? Lolz. Fuck them and their idiocy

Holgo is 38-32 in the Big 12 and only has one season where he's finished ranked in the Big 12. They think they're hitting a homerun with this hire. 

I will say he's probably an upgrade over Applewhite. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Holgo and WVU have been on the outs.  He was signed sealed and delivered to Tech, but Hocutt said, "naw".

Holgorsen with one year of D'Eriq King could wreck shop in that conference.  On the other hand, WVU has mostly an unknown commodity at QB next year.  Allison could be good, but jury is still out.

32 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Holgerson would be an absolute homrerun hire for Houston 

That being said, Houston is a mid major commuter school. It’s in the middle of the ghetto. No one wants to go down there. That’s not arrogance, that’s reality. It’s a shithole. 

This is the truth.  My daughter thought about going there, but we didn't want her anywhere near that mess.