Applewhite Out

deech

Just now, WBT said:

That's because they don't have fans.  They have casually band wagoners that will occasionally show up.  That's also why they'll never be invited to a Power 5 league.  Spending all that money on credit union stadium was ridiculous.

that was part of the PDF file the PAC 12 gave them of conditions for future membership 🤣🤪

6 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

You'd be surprised how many coaches are comfortable at $5 million per year.

They are, until something better opens up. 

I have no affinity for The Major after his time here and how it ended. But that's clown college shit to fire a guy in his 2nd year when he had a winning record. I hope their recruits and players bail on that program. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

Just now, BigOrange1 said:

surprised at the reaction here.  can only assume it's because major is a longhorn.  he is nothing more than a spare ass coach.  the decision to let him go is a fine one.  the timing is the worst part of all of it.

I actually agree he’s no Darrell Royal, but UH is a spare-ass college too. And you can’t fire a guy for 8-5 in year 2 with his best player out half the year.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

When are there not thousands of empty seats at a UH game? 

Gal I work with took her daughter to UH earlier this year for a tour of the campus and the UH homecoming football game. She posted some video on FB and holy shit, the place was deserted. For homecoming. Nobody who attended school there gives a shit and Houston the city sure as hell doesn't. I've got 2 relatives who got their post-grad degrees there and they don't give a shit.

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

surprised at the reaction here.  can only assume it's because major is a longhorn.  he is nothing more than a spare ass coach.  the decision to let him go is a fine one.  the timing is the worst part of all of it.

I think he is not great, but I am of the opinion that fans and especially administrations can become their own worst enemy

he never had support of a large contingent of their fans especially their fair weather spare fans and when the administration backs those fools up with talk about firing coaches for 8 wins it sets a shitty tone from day one and IMO that shit matters

there is a reason that places like Tennessee and Auburn can fall so far so fast and even at UT the fate of a coach can turn in a heart beat and once shit is piled against them it is hard to climb out of it

the fact is a program that does not pay a coach big money and that demands a large buy out to leave and that has now fired two coaches for 8 wins seasons is lighting their own dumpster on fire

they piled the combustibles in there with the demands on a coach for a buyout because they were pissed at UT for taking Herman and pissed with being made to suck the Big 12's dick with no membership and it resulted in being stuck with Applewhite and then they doubled down on it with 9 wins talk

it will be hard to climb out of this shit pile for them

• Like 6

1 hour ago, shakahorn said:
1 hour ago, Your Mom said:
Anywhere but Texas.  Seriously though, he'll be highly sought after as an OC.

Has he ever demonstrated excellence as the true, sole OC?

He is an ace recruiter. Unlike half of our current staff. 

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yeah like he's going to leave a program that can contend in a P5 conference for fucking Houston.

He probably should aim higher than Houston but it’s going to be rough next year for WVU. I would leave now if I were him. 

This is pretty much the Leach/Tech situation from a while back

not sure who the fuck U of H thinks they are

A 8-5 to 10-3 coach is EXACTLY the type of coach they need.... but instead theyll either hire a shittier coach or a coach that is gonna jump ship after 2 years a la herman

there has got to be more to this story behind the scenes, methinks

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

He probably should aim higher than Houston but it’s going to be rough next year for WVU. I would leave now if I were him. 

yea it will probably be rough for WVU next year, but look at the UH OOC so far.....OU that will be looking to kick the shit out of them for a few years ago, WSU and north Texas state plus an unknown

that could easily be 3 OOC losses and maybe a D1-AA win depending on who they bring in

their idiot fans love Holgerson, but he will cost them $4 million for 5 years easy and they can blame next year on Major all they want, but paying $2.5 million more for a coach to still go 1-3 in the OOC is probably not going to be real popular

1 hour ago, WBT said:

But yeah, the administration and "fans" seem to be 100% behind him so I guess it's the same thing

Both of 'em?

2 hours ago, Big Frog II said:

Houston is letting one donor run the athletic department.

oSu says hi.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Houston fired a coach that went 8-5 

That is pure insanity

They apparently believe themselves to be somebody different than they are.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

When are there not thousands of empty seats at a UH game? 

When they play UT.  So, it's been a while.

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

Right, cuz there is no other explanation for criticizing UH for firing a 2nd year coach after an 8-win season.

Dumb.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I don’t think Major will ever coach at Texas again. But he was actually decent as sole OC in 2013 working with Herp Derp and a putrid offensive line. I think he’d do okay as OC elsewhere.

That line was not putrid-it was the best we had from 2010 to this year (which is damning with faint praise, but still).

Major would have been much better off to stick with Harsin’s system, which we had recruited to and had become effective, with its personnel packages, shifts, and power running. Instead, he decided to do what he wanted to do and shift to a spread, hurry up offense. When we didn’t have the personnel for it and, compounding things, put our garbage defense in even more of a bind by possessing the ball less.

The icing on the cake is that the whole reason he had to work with “Herp Derp” is because he insisted on calling designed runs for his QB in a game that was already lost and got his brains scrambled.

He sucks.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Houston fans two years ago- screw Tom Herman. He's a lying snake who has no loyalty. We don't need him anyway, Major was the brains of this program any how.

Two years later- the brains are being shown the door and Texas is in the Sugar Bowl.

there new story is Herman won with Levine's recruits.....you know Levine the guy that went 5-7, 8-5 and 7-5 (and his DC won the bowl game for an 8-5 season) and Levine was fired before the bowl game for only winning 8 games two years in a row

Edited by ButtFumble

I’m sure Mack Brown can find some room for Major. Houston is sure full of themselves. 8 wins and we will fire your ass. Good luck getting a coach who will be looking at two years and they are fired if not playing for a MNC. I know Applewhite really shit the bed vs Army but U of H is to blame for hiring him as a HC in the first place