Tesla

AeroHorn

16 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Yesterday Musk tweeted "Giga Texas" and apparently he changed his Twitter location to Austin.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/speculation-flies-after-tech-entrepreneur-elon-musk-changes-twitter-bio-location-to-austin/

Does this mean anything?

https://www.teslarati.com/elon-musk-ponders-tesla-gigafactory-texas/

When the battery truck comes out and has been around for a few years (I think Ford is playing with one?) I may buy. However, I am so ocd with battery operated devices I may lose my mind. When my phone is under 60% I get oddly nervous. No idea why. I can be under an eighth of a tank of fuel and I am fine because I know I can be back at 100% in 4 minutes.

15 minutes ago, markstanco said:

When the battery truck comes out and has been around for a few years (I think Ford is playing with one?) I may buy. However, I am so ocd with battery operated devices I may lose my mind. When my phone is under 60% I get oddly nervous. No idea why. I can be under an eighth of a tank of fuel and I am fine because I know I can be back at 100% in 4 minutes.

You'll get over it.  We all have it at first.  But yes, Ford is coming out with an F-150 electric and I think it is going to dominate.  I think Elon missed a huge opportunity by coming out with something ridiculous for his truck instead of something that would appeal to the masses.  That said, he's a billionaire for a reason.

• Like 2

You'll get over it.  We all have it at first.  But yes, Ford is coming out with an F-150 electric and I think it is going to dominate.  I think Elon missed a huge opportunity by coming out with something ridiculous for his truck instead of something that would appeal to the masses.  That said, he's a billionaire for a reason.
Probably. I am the perfect customer for one, 35 miles each way for my commute to work and seldom drive more than 75 miles where I couldnt get a charge. But driving to a distance of say 200 miles in the year 2020 to a hotel without a charge station is a no go. Probably 10 years out on this. Would be awesome to go to a hampton inn and pay a fee of $15 to charge your vehicle though.

Probably. I am the perfect customer for one, 35 miles each way for my commute to work and seldom drive more than 75 miles where I couldnt get a charge. But driving to a distance of say 200 miles in the year 2020 to a hotel without a charge station is a no go. Probably 10 years out on this. Would be awesome to go to a hampton inn and pay a fee of $15 to charge your vehicle though.

There are chargers everywhere these days. Many hotels have 1-2 now in their parking lot.

There are chargers everywhere these days. Many hotels have 1-2 now in their parking lot.
Oh, of course! I have seen them. Still, comparing them to gas stations is a non starter though. Most of the time people who drive and stay at a hotel drive 200+ miles to that destination. It doesnt work out for the typical road warrior.

Road trip from texas to florida with the family? Better have a gas car.

In 2020 a battery car is good for locals.

Oh, of course! I have seen them. Still, comparing them to gas stations is a non starter though. Most of the time people who drive and stay at a hotel drive 200+ miles to that destination. It doesnt work out for the typical road warrior.

Road trip from texas to florida with the family? Better have a gas car.

In 2020 a battery car is good for locals.

Yes we rent a suburban for those trips. We took the model S to New Orleans with the kids - not easy. We took it to Marfa without. That was easy. The key issue is kids. With kids it’s a no go, without easy breezy.

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

I was a big charging skeptic too, but it's proven to be a non-issue.  Just drove across 7 countries using exclusively the Tesla supercharging network and it was fine.  This excludes 3rd party fast- and slow- chargers that multiply the chargepoints by 10x.

Didn't even rely on hotel chargers.  I could charge it for 20 minutes at a nearby SC before going to bed.  Or park it at a charger in the morning while having coffee and cake in the same parking lot. 

It *sounds* like a chore, but in almost all of the stops, I found myself rushing back to the car from the McDonald's/cafe/whatever because it finished quicker than anticipated.

Thinking back to all the Houston/Dallas/Austin runs I used to make, and stretching my legs at a Buckees half way through the trip, 9 out of 10 times anyway, and the trip would not be materially different in a Tesla.  Unless you're a mobile doctor and every minute counts.

By the way this is with a 300mi+ rated car, meaning *actual* range is 200-240 or so.  Any electric car rated at 250mi or less (=most of them) is a complete no-go for anything except pure Urban duties.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

fwiw I listen to Jerry Reynolds (The Car Pro Guy) every Sunday on WOAI.

He's driven Ford's prototype and while not giving any details, he said that Elon is going to be extremely unhappy when it hits the market. His intimiation was almost word for word what you're saying here bout "missed a huge opportunity, etc".

With that said, Jerry is as big a fanboi of Ford as Tesla people are of their shiny objects, so again, fwiw.

Edited by Cajun

7 hours ago, 52-80 said:

a chore, but in almost all of the stops, I found myself rushing back to the car from the McDonald's/cafe/whatever because it finished quicker than anticipated.

What does this mean?  It doesnt just stop charging when full like your cell phone and you have to rush to not overheat the batteries?  

20 minutes ago, markstanco said:

What does this mean?  It doesnt just stop charging when full like your cell phone and you have to rush to not overheat the batteries?  

No, it does.  It stops at whatever level you've set it to.  I think "rushing" wasn't really the right word.  He's just saying it's a lot quicker these days, especially now that they are upgrading the superchargers to version 3.0, which gets you 500-1000 mph charging.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, markstanco said:

1.  Charging is much faster up to to ~70%, and slower beyond that.  So you're basically getting less "return" per minute spent.  You're better off driving to the next charger 60% away (distant equivalent), rather than top off the car to 100% and driving it to the next charger 90% away.

2.  Chargers enforce an idle fee to discourage people from using them as a parking spot.  So it's really a matter of courtesy.

So in actual practice, I stop around 15-20% (to have some reserve) and charge to 75-80%.  That's around 120-160 miles driven. 

Translating to TX miles means starting Houston at 100% (because it was plugged in overnight), stopping at Ennis for 20 minutes, and then all the way to your final destination in Dallas with whatever you need to do.  Then you just plug it at home/hotel is that's the end of your trip. Or another 20 minutes if you're heading on back to Houston or whatever

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

1.  Charging is much faster up to to ~70%, and slower beyond that.  So you're basically getting less "return" per minute spent.  You're better off driving to the next charger 60% away (distant equivalent), rather than top off the car to 100% and driving it to the next charger 90% away.

2.  Chargers enforce an idle fee to discourage people from using them as a parking spot.  So it's really a matter of courtesy.

So in actual practice, I stop around 15-20% (to have some reserve) and charge to 75-80%.  That's around 120-160 miles driven. 

Translating to TX miles means starting Houston at 100% (because it was plugged in overnight), stopping at Ennis for 20 minutes, and then all the way to your final destination in Dallas with whatever you need to do.  Then you just plug it at home/hotel is that's the end of your trip. Or another 20 minutes if you're heading on back to Houston or whatever

Yeah, it really becomes second nature rather quickly.  You just figure out a stop or two for long road trips and it's not usually more than 20 minutes.  You also realize how little you actually need superchargers.  99% of charging is done at home.  Unless you are G650 I guess.

55 minutes ago, markstanco said:
1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:
Good god man.

Yea that is a beating. I used to drive 60k a year as well back in my road warrior days. Started buying diesel trucks so I could keep them longer.

Same here and in Ark/LA/MS.

Never again.

Miss the correct exit on the Atchafalaya Swamp Bridge and just settle in for a nice long fucking ride to the turnaround and back.

Edited by Cajun

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, it really becomes second nature rather quickly.  You just figure out a stop or two for long road trips and it's not usually more than 20 minutes.  You also realize how little you actually need superchargers.  99% of charging is done at home.  Unless you are G650 I guess.

People don't consider that chargers are basically for *road trips only*.  Outside of this trip I never charged on the road.  Car starts at 100% in the morning (actually, 80%), I do what I do all day in a typical day, and then plug it in at night.

At the start of a long trip, you're always setting off with full charge (250mi usable)  With a normal car, you might start with full tank (300mi), or you might start with half tank (150mi) or near empty.  So the built-in advantage makes it completely offsetting.

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

People don't consider that chargers are basically for *road trips only*.  Outside of this trip I never charged on the road.  Car starts at 100% in the morning (actually, 80%), I do what I do all day in a typical day, and then plug it in at night.

At the start of a long trip, you're always setting off with full charge (250mi usable)  With a normal car, you might start with full tank (300mi), or you might start with half tank (150mi) or near empty.  So the built-in advantage makes it completely offsetting.

Yep.  Mine is the long range battery, so my full is around 310-320 miles.  In Texas, there are still a couple of places that really need Superchargers though.  Lubbock and College Station for sure.  I'll also add Fredericksburg, since I go there a lot, but always have to take my ICE car.

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

How is the fishing down below that bridge?  I always see boats, but not sure what they are fishing for.

No idea, I never got down there to fish, but here's a post from an Atchafalaya Fishing board I look at now and then...

Goggel eye, magnolia crappie, goo, bream and buffalo, sho nuff mixed bag, congrats

Best when read in the voice of Coach O.

And I wouldn't go swimmin' in that brackish shit.  Aside from crockagators you dun got deez...

Shark-3-635X335.png

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

Charging is always the number one concern I hear from people when they ask me about my Tesla. But really it's such a non issue. You plug in your cell phone every night, right? Same concept with the car. You don't have to worry about the battery degrading the way it does in a cell phone though. The car wants to be plugged in. I think as long as you aren't traveling more than 200 miles a day and have at least 8 hours of sleep time to keep the car plugged in then it's perfect. So what if you have to find a supercharger for a road trip? Most of them are near restaurants so you can plan them around lunch time. Dallas to Austin is an extra 20 minutes for me but totally worth it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, markstanco said:
14 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
Ford's been trying to put out an ef150 for years. Since the late 2000s. At this point I'm not sure if Tesla doesn't beat them

They already did and it is hideous.

tesla hasn't started production and i fully expect them to be delayed by 1-2 years pushing delivery to 2022 or 2023.  the e-f150 could drop as early as late 2021.  but if they don't get their act together we might see cybertrucks on the road before them.

44 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

tesla hasn't started production and i fully expect them to be delayed by 1-2 years pushing delivery to 2022 or 2023.  the e-f150 could drop as early as late 2021.  but if they don't get their act together we might see cybertrucks on the road before them.

I see what your are saying about production delays with Tesla's track record, but with the new gigafactories coming online and just the overall streamlining of the process, I don't think we'll see delays like we used to.  The Model Y is doing first deliveries in a few weeks, about 6 months ahead of schedule.  That said, it also uses about 75% of the same specs as the Model 3, so maybe the truck will throw in some wrinkles.

Either way, I just don't think the cybertruck is going to reach a mass audience.  I mean, look at that thing.