USMNT 2019

Napoleon

5 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Dest looks the part. But he could still play for the Dutch. 

Dest would more likely play LB than RB with the USMNT, so he might hold off committing until after the Olympics*.

*Not that we’ve qualified for the Olympics in over a decade. 

On 8/7/2019 at 10:39 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

cp preseason reel

great compilation, stupid music does not add dramatic effect

EPL debut at Old Trafford - 10:30 am central on Sunday. 

Then they have Pool on Wednesday - guessing he starts one of those games but probably not both. 

Yedlin's probability of featuring 39 months from now is low, but it is possible.  So I would rather see him take as much time as possible to recover from anything to the point of playing as few games as possible while remaining with a top 5 league side.  He's not going to dramatically improve from what he is now, which is a serviceable full international starter for a side ranked outside the global top 25.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

If Pulisic becomes Arjen Robben, we're in for a real treat  

1) Pulisic can also use his right foot, which really makes things difficult for defenders.

2) I don't think that he is as fast or as big as Robben, but he might be quicker due to weighing about 130 lbs.

3) We will need to play someone else in the middle to take advantage of Pulisic on the wings. He's not going to get those streaking opportunities playing the #10 for the USMNT. (He can keep the jersey, but needs to move outside.)

7 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

is nagbe even in the official pool? fuck Gerg for not calling him up this summer and just fuck Gerg in general.

Nagbe is such a whipping of a player to watch. 

He's got good ball control and he is great for drawing fouls, but he is like a ventilated dual disc brake with ABS when it comes to moving the ball from the defense to the forwards. The ball goes into him and then you wait and watch in slow motion and he dribbles a bit with his head down and then slowly turns to look up field... if he doesn't pass off to someone to the side or behind him. I can't recall of another player who plays with his head down as much as Nagbe.

On 8/15/2019 at 5:40 PM, Napoleon said:

1) Pulisic can also use his right foot, which really makes things difficult for defenders.

2) I don't think that he is as fast or as big as Robben, but he might be quicker due to weighing about 130 lbs.

3) We will need to play someone else in the middle to take advantage of Pulisic on the wings. He's not going to get those streaking opportunities playing the #10 for the USMNT. (He can keep the jersey, but needs to move outside.)

Yeah, Robbed was 5’11” and like 175 with world class speed that could run right at defenders. His second goal vs Spain in 2014 is still one of my favorites, and I think still one of the fastest runs FIFA has recorded. 

On 8/15/2019 at 6:40 PM, Napoleon said:

Nagbe is such a whipping of a player to watch. 

He's got good ball control and he is great for drawing fouls, but he is like a ventilated dual disc brake with ABS when it comes to moving the ball from the defense to the forwards. The ball goes into him and then you wait and watch in slow motion and he dribbles a bit with his head down and then slowly turns to look up field... if he doesn't pass off to someone to the side or behind him. I can't recall of another player who plays with his head down as much as Nagbe.

Nap is right.  Nagbe is about as quick with the ball as I am.  

6 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

I would rather have our USMNT leaders make a deal with our U-23 studs that they won’t be called in for worthless friendlies this fall so that they can help the team qualify for the Olympics (if Qualifying is during an international break. 

I'm extremely happy for Miles Robinson. He spent two years in Atlanta working and getting little playing time or spending time in the USL before de Boer put a lot of faith in him and he's delivered this year. Atlanta United took a while to round into form this year, but Robinson has been the most consistent player on the team this year. He's been arguably the best CB in MLS and has earned a look with the National Team.

I can't help but wonder if they brought some of the U23 players to get them some time together before Olympic qualifying in the spring. U23 players on the roster: Cannon, Dest, Robinson, McKennie, Pomykal, Yueill, CP and Sargent. CP won't play in Olympic qualifying. Schalke has been hesitant to release McKennie to youth tournaments. 

8 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

No Bradley, But Zardes

Where are Weah and Jozy?  Injured?

Tyler Adams and Yedlin are both out hurt, can't wait to see TA with this group.

7 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Berhalter said he didn't call up Bradley, Jozy and Omar Gonzalez because Toronto FC is chasing a playoff spot.

Praise Jesus for the stupidity of the MLS! So glad that those first two won't be in the squad.

Weah is injured.

Nagbe is done with the USMNT.

Dest needs to be cap-tied ASAP. (Ajax won 2-0 today, so 2-0 on aggregate and is in the Champions League group stage... with a 36 year-old Klaas-Jan Huntelaar as Ajax's #9 picking up an assist.)

52 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

I think there is still a spot on the team for Jozy.  I'd much rather have him than Zrades.

Jozy's ceiling is way above Zardes'.

Jozy's "average" game is below Zardes'.

Jozy's baseline is way, way below Zardes'. 

Jozy's likelihood of getting injured is extremely high, whereas Zardes' is almost non-existent. (Which is better depends on your opinions of these players and their backups.)

It will be a good day for the USMNT when neither Jozy, nor Zardes are a consideration for a call up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Weah is injured, which is a shame.  I really want to see a Weah - Sargent - Pulisic front line in action.  

Excited to see Pomykal and Dest called up for this.  

Weah and Sargent are both true strikers, but they should be our #1 and #2 9s somepoint soon. Keyword should, not that our dumbass org will make that happen. I don't see them featuring together unless Sargent develops into a true winger (which I don't think he will).

The fact that we need 2 players to be healthy for this team to do anything is fucking inexcusable and depressing, honestly. If Adams or Pulisic decide against ever lacing it up for us again we might be fucked for another 10 years. 

God I miss our 2010 squad. We really had a chance that year before shitting the bed against Ghana. That team had heart. 

Jozy's injuries are the biggest issue to me.  But when he is healthy and not playing with Bradley at the 10, and other "playmakers" like Zusi and Bedoya, he is a solid 9.

When he plays with some creative guys, he scores and his hold up play is solid.  When he was out there with Dempsey, they were a great duo.

I think Jozy, with guys like Pulisic, Weah, Weston, Adams, Boyd, would be really productive.  With injury concerns, let him play 60 amd bring in the Sarg.

You guys have some short-ass memories.

Jozy and Dempsey were terrible together aside from Deuce's penchant to take guys on and draw fouls because their lack of pace and activity put little pressure on opposing back lines. Either one has always been better when paired with someone speedy and energetic.

If your qualification for "Jozy should starts" is that he be 100 percent healthy and surrounded by only our best and brightest players, then what does it matter? Chris Wondo-fucking-lowski could be (and has been) productive in such situations.

Jozy has some skill, and his hold-up play has improved dramatically, but he's got zero pace, his work rate sucks, he can't stay healthy, and he gets no respect (or calls) from refs because he's massive yet plays like a pussy.

Everyone knows this. There are years of proof. But one decent showing in the Gold Cup and, suddenly, all of this is forgotten and he's a Starting XI fixture again.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Weah and Sargent are both true strikers, but they should be our #1 and #2 9s somepoint soon. Keyword should, not that our dumbass org will make that happen. I don't see them featuring together unless Sargent develops into a true winger (which I don't think he will).

Weah did not play as a true striker for the u23s (he was on the left with Soto in the middle).   So far this season he has played wide and as a #10 for his club.  I think his future with the US is likely on the wing.   

I have not watched Bremen enough to know why Sargent has been out on the wings lately.  But his skill set seems to be suited for a #9.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Weah did not play as a true striker for the u23s (he was on the left with Soto in the middle).   So far this season he has played wide and as a #10 for his club.  I think his future with the US is likely on the wing. 

Agree, Weah seems like a winger not a 9.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

y'all are saying Nagbe has essentially quit the USMNT? why?

Maybe he doesn't want to be involved with our dogshit organization. 

Not sure how much playing time he'd get anyway. Def not one of our best XI with everyone healthy. 

• Like 1