Texas recruiting notes 2019

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Bummer about GW. I know he's dope but it's hard to get all that worked up about losing a WR with Texas' talent pool.

We say this about Texas' WR pool every year, it seems. Yet we have had just one WR drafted this decade. Either the pool is not nearly as deep as we all reassure ourselves it is, or we have been doing a really impressive job of recruiting the wrong wide receivers. Wilson is the type of offensive game-breaker we simply had to land.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

We say this about Texas' WR pool every year, it seems. Yet we have had just one WR drafted this decade. Either the pool is not nearly as deep as we all reassure ourselves it is, or we have been doing a really impressive job of recruiting the wrong wide receivers. Wilson is the type of offensive game-breaker we simply had to land.

Well we also have had bad lines and QBs - WRs get screwed by bad management in different parts of the roster.

E.J. Holland: Intel from important recruiting weekend

Texas is hosting a small but important group of recruits this weekend. Let’s start off with the official visitors. The Grayson (GA) duo of four-star defensive back Kenyatta Watson II and five-star outside linebacker Owen Pappoe arrived in Austin on Friday night, and I’m told they are both really enjoying their time on the Forty Acres. So far, the pair have toured the campus and the facilities, learned more about academics at Texas and spent time with coaches and players.

It’s safe to say Texas is making the biggest impact on Watson, who is set to make his decision shortly following his visit. From everything we have been able to gather, Texas has the clear edge over Notre Dame. This visit is only helping the Longhorns solidify themselves in the pole position. Texas, specifically Big 12 Recruiter of the Year Jason Washington, has done a tremendous job of recruiting both Watson and his father.

I am told that Watson’s father loves Texas and feels comfortable sending his son away from home. I have heard that a couple of other major programs have tried to jump in late, but the family is sold on Texas. While Notre Dame remains a finalist, there is no reason to believe that I will be switching my Crystal Ball away from UT.

In regards to Pappoe, this is an uphill battle. Look Texas is doing everything it can this weekend, but it would be a shocker if he sided with the Longhorns. It’s going to take a grand slam and then some as the weekend continues to run its course. Pappoe is also set to make his decision in coming days, and we still have reason to believe Auburn is in the driver’s seat.

There is another five-star recruit on campus in Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy. And yes, Texas is a legitimate player here. The fact that McCoy paid his own way down to Austin for an unofficial speaks volumes, and I’m told the visit this weekend couldn’t be going any better. On top of that Texas commit and friend, De’Gabriel Floyd, accompanied McCoy on his trip to UT.

Floyd has been working non-stop helping Texas recruit in California, and McCoy is arguably his biggest target. Another X-factor in McCoy’s recruitment is Texas Recruiting Director Bryan Carrington, who is spending extended time with him this weekend. Yes, USC remains the favorite for McCoy but if there is a school further away that can pull him away from the West Coast, it’s Texas. Expect him to make a return trip for an official visit in the summer or fall.

Lastly, four-star University Lab (La.) athlete Christian Harris did make it to Texas today for his unofficial visit. Harris has always been intrigued by the Longhorns and playing his college ball in the Lone Star State — he is also visiting Texas A&M this weekend. But from what I have been able to gather, Alabama and LSU are the heavy favorites in this recruitment. It’s going to take a great visit today and an official visit for the Longhorns to become true players in this one.

• Like 4

Sucks but next man up.  Seems like he made his decision at his official visit to osu.  We just need to fucking win at this point.  It’s that simple.  We should have some damn good prospects in Watson, NaNa, and Johnson commit next month.  This will be a solid class to build on our elite class last year.

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

Clearly I'm not the only one who thought this, or even the first one. But I'll bite. What would be your "angle"?

If being on the same 7 on 7 team has become the new standard for families to weigh to get a four year free education then fuck me.  7 on 7 sounds like the least option a family should consider when choosing a college to attend.   I must be a clueless dumbass.  

1 minute ago, lemonandaturd said:

If being on the same 7 on 7 team has become the new standard for families to weigh to get a four year free education then fuck me.  7 on 7 sounds like the least option a family should consider when choosing a college to attend.   I must be a clueless dumbass.  

It's just one out of many factors. But when Urban Meyer is the guy on the other side of the field, every possible advantage counts.

Everybody plays 7-on-7 with everybody, there's only a handful of top teams in the whole state. That shit rarely matters.

You want to be mad at somebody, be mad at Mehringer, he's useless as a coach, and if he misses out on two top WRs in his own backyard, then there's no fucking reason for him to be here.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

Everybody plays 7-on-7 with everybody, there's only a handful of top teams in the whole state. That shit rarely matters.

You want to be mad at somebody, be mad at Mehringer, he's useless as a coach, and if he misses out on two top WRs in his own backyard, then there's no fucking reason for him to be here.

Herman hired the motherfucker. 

And this has nothing to do with a WR coach. It has to do with wins. Wins help you get drafted higher. 

You could put a very easy to search spreadsheet together of all the highly ranked WRs that Texas has got drafted and all the highly ranked WR that Urban has got drafted in the past 8 years. It apps an easy sell 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Herman hired the motherfucker. 

And this has nothing to do with a WR coach. It has to do with wins. Wins help you get drafted higher. 

You could put a very easy to search spreadsheet together of all the highly ranked WRs that Texas has got drafted and all the highly ranked WR that Urban has got drafted in the past 8 years. It apps an easy sell 

Who says I'm not blaming Herman for that? He hired his buddies, Warehime and Mehringer are completely useless.

And you should have an advantage for guys in your own backyard, especially considering Herman was Urban's OC for that championship run.

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland just changed his CB pick for Elijah Higgins to cloudy.

Justin Wells' response: "Stanford, IMO".

I wonder if Texas is still pushing for Higgins? I would certainly continue to push. It's long day to Signing Day,and they'll need all the ammo you can get to land Wilson. 

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Or else what?   We can’t build a roster that can win the big 12 unless we landed this guy?

How many times have we watched the NFL Draft, seen an in-state stud go in the 1st round, and bemoaned that he didn't come here? Guys like Leal and Wilson are the kids we have to be landing to get back to the top. There are a limited number of these blue-chips in the country and when we lose out on two of the best in our own backyard, that's a problem.

So if we assume that Garret Wilson is going Buckeye and Elijah Higgins goes Cardinal, what is a realistic WR haul?

Jordan Whittington is in the fold. I think after that it would be Dylan Wright and Jake Smith. Am I missing out any realistic possibilities here?

I think Herman knows that there are major shortcomings in his coaching staff especially on the offensive side of the ball (Mehringer and Warehime). But it's not the easiest thing to just go out and find an elite WR coach that wants to leave his current situation and come to Texas where things are still unknown. Despite avoiding a total and complete disaster in his first season, he still has little option but to peddle a future that is bright. If you look at it from that view, Herman performed a coup in bringing Hand on board and at initial glance, it appears to be paying dividends in OL recruiting.

Keep the faith, Surly brethren. Texas will close with an elite class after the coming football season which will be an improvement on the last one. 

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

3 high end recruits right in our backyard or close to Austin ( Wilson, Higgins, Leal ) and we are looking at going 0-3.

Need to retaliate the Aggy way. Take an all district player from Columbus High, Palo Alto High, and A&M Consolidated. That'll show 'em. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis