Texas recruiting notes 2019

Strategy with Marcus Banks is going to be interesting, now that he's scheduled an LSU OV a month after ours. Given that he's a guy who gets caught up in the moment, do we push a little harder than usual, get him to commit after his OV, and play defense? Or do we continue to play it slow and steady, hope to stave off the LSU post-visit high in June, and string things along until the end of the summer?

In ESPN article on commitment it mentioned that Grayson High now has prospects in the 2019 class committed to Auburn, Tennessee, Texas, Alabama, Michigan, Texas A&M, Florida State, North Carolina, Georgia Tech and Duke.Ā 

Don't know that I have seen so many different "named" programs in a single class from one school. You would also think that Georgia would be on the list??

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

In ESPN article on commitment it mentioned that Grayson High now has prospects in the 2019 class committed to Auburn, Tennessee, Texas, Alabama, Michigan, Texas A&M, Florida State, North Carolina, Georgia Tech and Duke.Ā 

Don't know that I have seen so many different "named" programs in a single class from one school. You would also think that Georgia would be on the list??

Watson Sr. (former coach)Ā and Kirby don't get along, apparently.

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Is it like IMG or is it a normal school?

Edited by Bevo14

38 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Only four dudes are SEC-good, though.

1 hour ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Get the vibe it'sĀ a different situationĀ than losing, say, Watkins last year.Ā  Seems to dig the ATX a whole lot.Ā 

Wasnā€™t Notre Dame the main competition too? Ā I donā€™t think staying close to home is that big of a deal for him.

E.J. Holland: Kenyatta Watson's commitment a sign of what's to come?

Itā€™s been a rough month for Texas recruiting. The Longhorns lost top defensive line target DeMarvin Leal to heated recruiting rival Texas A&M and fell just short with local five-star wide receiver Garrett Wilson, who announced his commitment to Ohio State. But as flowers bloom for spring and the thunderstorms cease, the Longhorns are set to get back on the right track on the recruiting trail.

The first domino to fall was four-star Georgia defensive back Kenyatta Watson II, who picked Texas over finalist Notre Dame. Texas cornerbacks Jason Washington, last yearā€™s Big 12 recruiter of the Year, did a tremendous job of recruiting both Watson and his family. In Watson, the Longhorns got another top out-of-state target as they continue to build their national brand. On top of that, Texas regained some much-needed momentum heading into what could be a monster month.

So whatā€™s next? California grad transfer running back Tre Watson is set to make his decision soon and is down to LSU, Texas and Texas Tech. LSU had him on campus over the weekend, but it appears the Longhorns are still the favorite. With this Watson, Texas would fill a position of need with an immediate impact player and close out the 2018 class with a bang.

Texas is also set to host several key targets this weekend, including guys like Marcus Banks, Tyler Johnson, Makiya Tongue and NaNa Osafo-Mensah. It wouldnā€™t be farfetched to say Texas is in the pole position for all four and could pull one earlier than expected with a strong official visit weekend. By the way, Osafo-Mensah is slate to make his decision on May 19. While Notre Dame remains a threat, that recruitment could very much end the same way Watsonā€™s did ā€” with Texas on top.

There has been a lot of chatter about panic. But as weā€™ve come to learn time and time again, Tom Herman and company deserve the benefit of the doubt.

There has been a lot of chatter about panic. But as weā€™ve come to learn time and time again, Tom Herman and company deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Not with anyone with half a brain, but that doesn't include your subs, does it EJ?

Edited by texifornia

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Not with anyone with half a brain, but that doesn't include your subs, does it EJ?

Horns 247 posters are the worst in all of Longhorn fandom. Poor writing, dumb questions to their mods, and a complete lack of recruiting or football knowledge. Plenty of stupid open letters to recruits like Orangebloods in the bad ole days.Ā 

bierce is the only good poster over there, but he's focused primarily on hoops.Ā 

I do think EJ is getting better, and Roach has always been somewhere near respectable.Ā 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Horns 247 posters are the worst in all of Longhorn fandom. Poor writing, dumb questions to their mods, and a complete lack of recruiting or football knowledge. Plenty of stupid open letters to recruits like Orangebloods in the bad ole days.Ā 

bierce is the only good poster over there, but he's focused primarily on hoops.Ā 

I do think EJ is getting better, and Roach has always been somewhere near respectable.Ā 

EJ is really getting into messing with Aggy though. Ya gotta give him.that.Ā 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Sure, and he doesn't take himself too seriously.Ā 

Eh, I remember the gnashing of teeth and passive aggressive digs when we took Roschon over Tisdale and Rondale Moore over Waddle. Maybe he's improved since then.

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

My understanding is that a bunch of them grew up playing on aĀ youth team together and were recruited to Grayson

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Eh, I remember the gnashing of teeth and passive aggressive digs when we took Roschon over Tisdale and Rondale Moore over Waddle. Maybe he's improved since then.

I don't think it's been discussed since the move; Roschon's commitment is one of the more alpha stories I've heard. That's some Billions level s*** right there.Ā 

I have high hopes for the young man.Ā 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Not SEC southeast good.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don't think it's been discussed since the move; Roschon's commitment is one of the more alpha stories I've heard. That's some Billions level s*** right there.Ā 

I have high hopes for the young man.Ā 

"Roschon we want to slowplay you for a bit to make sure that we want you instead of Tisdale... who is right over there."

"Yeah, sounds great Coach Herman, don't mind me just heading up to the stage and grabbing the mic real quick in front of everyone..."

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Sure, and he doesn't take himself too seriously.Ā 

This is a terrible take. Ā EJ Holland is an emo, hipster bitch who doesnā€™t know a fucking thing about the game and serves as a mouthpiece for various trainers. Heā€™s defended Will Lyles as a ā€œgood guyā€ on multiple occasions and hides behind his moderator handle and bawls at the moment heā€™s challenged. Fuck him and fuck that lazy take.Ā 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I agree with some of the points you're making. But at some point the coaching staff has to do independent evaluations while also managing their relationships with high school coaches. The Florida coaches did not "shit on Charlie" by sending him a package of flame outs. Those were talented players that the coaching staff failed to develop. That's on the Texas coaching staff. Not on the Florida high school coaches.Ā 

While I think Texas high school coaches are the biggest bunch of whiny primma donnas in all of the land, it's their job to advocate for their players and do everything they can to get those players scholarships to the best schools that will take them.Ā Charlie showed that you can still land quality players by communicating directly with the players and circumventing the coaches. But he consistently let the bulk of the top-10 players in the state go elsewhere. His best class was #10 in the nation. Good, but not not good enough to mitigate his and his staff's coaching deficiencies. If you want to fully capitalize on the in-state talent, and consistently land a large percentage of the state's top-10Ā players, I think you have to have a fairly good relationship with the majority of the coaches at the top high school programs in the state.Ā 

oh Mack Brown fucked off recruiting for sure and was in no way shape or form doing the required work

but the one issue is just because Miles and Saban and Meyer and others come on the scene that does not mean you start fucking over a guy like Mack and start telling him that your lazy and entitled problem children with limited upside are good kids while you develop a new relationship with the new shit hot coaches

I suppose there is the argument that "he got them a ride to college", but more likely he got them a limited amount of time on a college campus they did not belong at before they fucked that chance up because Mack was not on top of them or because they thought all they had to do was put on the uniform and fuck off and they were golden.....they could have received a free ride to a place like SHSU or a WAC or MWC school and perhaps had a wake up call and ended up with some degree or perhaps even developed their talent instead of falling by the wayside

the other MUCH bigger issue is if Mack or anyone else threatens to start looking out of state then suddenly those same coaches that "care" and are "just trying to get a kid a spot" start black balling those coaches that recruit out of state and of course what happened to the "we are getting kids spots" when you are suddenly getting in the way of Texas coaches recruiting at your high school and even more so when you know that the shit hot coaches like Saban and Miles and Meyer are only going to take the select few Texas players they are really targeting and if you fuck THEM over well they can easily just black ball recruiting YOUR high school......there are several examples of that in Louisiana specifically with Saban and with LSU where a coach tried to step up to the college programs and was slapped down hard.....mainly because Louisiana knows they produce way more talent than they have in state places for

I am not saying feel sorry for Mack by any stretch he fucked things up for himself the best he knew how, but it is a fucked system when some high school coach holds so much sway about the future of players and how he allows recruiting to happen and who he is honest with and who he tries to get in the way of because he is pissed off he cannot off load his problem children on some in state programs with impunity.....all the more so when a lot of those lazy ass coaches are as much or more responsible for the shitty, lazy, poor work habits and entitlement and limited upside of that player as the actual player and his mom are

one can talk about what happened at Baylor, but the truth is those players did not get to Baylor and suddenly become total pieces of shit they were pieces of shit long before they hit the Baylor campus and their HS coaches new that 100% and did not give a shit to tell Baylor and or knew they could send them to Baylor and Baylor might not give a shit either......but as long as "hey signed D1-A P5 letter of intent" it was "job well done" no matter what happened a couple of years down the road

Ā 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

This is a terrible take. Ā EJ Holland is an emo, hipster bitch who doesnā€™t know a fucking thing about the game and serves as a mouthpiece for various trainers. Heā€™s defended Will Lyles as a ā€œgood guyā€ on multiple occasions and hides behind his moderator handle and bawls at the moment heā€™s challenged. Fuck him and fuck that lazy take.Ā 

I was talking about EJĀ posting pics of his Liberace like Starbucks orders. Like he can make fun of himself.Ā 

I agree with almost all of your take. I am by no means defendingĀ EJ.Ā 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

EJ is dropping some Cain news later tonight. I think he CB'ed Cain to Texas.Ā 

Ya he just did...I wonder if that current LSU running back commit, Davis,Ā has anything to do with it knowing Cain wants to be the only RB take, could be feeling some pressure. Davis had the secret visit and was rocking Texas gear this past weekend.