Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Re: TRE WATSON (who is actually 2018 Recruiting)

Has he ever mentioned the "cultural fit" that he's looking for?

Seems to me that Austin has a little more in common with Berkeley than either Lubbock or Baton Rouge do.

At least Baton Rouge offers a more storied program & big games every week... and Berkeley is right next to Oakland (where I had a rental car smashed into a year ago and way too much to go into stolen), so perhaps the whole Baton Rouge/New Orleans thing wouldn't be completely unfamiliar.

But LUBBOCK?... Perhaps if he's from Barstow, Baker, or Fresno, he might see the charm of Lubbock, but I can't see going to Lubbock after 4 years in the SF Bay Area.

Edited by Napoleon

Can't remember who asked me about this kid....my pal Scott spent this past weekend in AZ visiting the big HS out there, this is a free article, all I can share from his site,  but Scott did say it felt like Texas was getting a lot of positive buzz from the WC kids.

https://trojaninsider.com/s/537/usc-feels-like-home-for-wr-jake-smith 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Ya he just did...I wonder if that current LSU running back commit, Davis, has anything to do with it knowing Cain wants to be the only RB take, could be feeling some pressure. Davis had the secret visit and was rocking Texas gear this past weekend.

Has Shea Dixon commented on Cain recently? If that LSU homer predicts Cain to Texas, it's definitely over. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Has he ever mentioned the "cultural fit" that he's looking for?

Seems to me that Austin has a little more in common with Berkeley than either Lubbock or Baton Rouge do.

At least Baton Rouge offers a more storied program & big games every week... and Berkeley is right next to Oakland (where I had a rental car smashed into a year ago and way too much to go into stolen), so perhaps the whole Baton Rouge/New Orleans thing wouldn't be completely unfamiliar.

But LUBBOCK?... Perhaps if he's from Barstow, Baker, or Fresno, he might see the charm of Lubbock, but I can't see going to Lubbock after 4 years in the SF Bay Area.

LSU mods were conceding defeat earlier today. 

Tech was always third, but yeah I don't get how they made the final cut either. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Has Shea Dixon commented on Cain recently? If that LSU homer predicts Cain to Texas, it's definitely over. 

Nope but EJ also put in another CB for running back, John Emery to LSU. Cain may not actually want to be the only back in the class, but he definitely doesn’t want to be one of three running back takes

3 minutes ago, TrojanPrincess said:

Can't remember who asked me about this kid....my pal Scott spent this past weekend in AZ visiting the big HS out there, this is a free article, all I can share from his site,  but Scott did say it felt like Texas was getting a lot of positive buzz from the WC kids.

Most of the Texas mods think it's Texas and USC with Clemson running third.

I believe a tOSU mod CB'ed Jake Smith to Texas shortly after EJ's CB. I would assume the Buckeyes are focused elsewhere. 

6 minutes ago, TrojanPrincess said:

It was @Fud who asked. 

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

LSU mods were conceding defeat earlier today. 

Tech was always third, but yeah I don't get how they made the final cut either. 

Thank you! (NO props to give out at the moment.)

I just read that Cal basically pushes out players who graduate in 4 years, because their grad school makes zero concessions for athletes. That being said, if you're graduating from Cal in 4 years, I would think that UT was the only school of the three listed that you'd actually be considering. He's gotta know that he isn't going pro (from what I've read), but if he can use football to get into a good grad school program and have the first year paid for... HELL YES!

I haz excite for a guy with a high floor/low ceiling who is smart and has experience, plus he doesn't fumble and can return kicks. Nice.

Just now, RGBIII said:

Nope but EJ also put in another CB for running back, John Emery to LSU. Cain may not actually want to be the only back in the class, but he definitely doesn’t want to be one of three running back takes

I hate LSU. Oeaux could throw a bottle of Old Crow from his porch and hit two elite RBs. 

Just now, Napoleon said:

Thank you! (NO props to give out at the moment.)

I just read that Cal basically pushes out players who graduate in 4 years, because their grad school makes zero concessions for athletes. That being said, if you're graduating from Cal in 4 years, I would think that UT was the only school of the three listed that you'd actually be considering. He's gotta know that he isn't going pro (from what I've read), but if he can use football to get into a good grad school program and have the first year paid for... HELL YES!

I haz excite for a guy with a high floor/low ceiling who is smart and has experience, plus he doesn't fumble and can return kicks. Nice.

The People's Republic of Berkeley. I'm not surprised at all by that information. 

Watson could add quite a bit of value to the offense. I think he can play RB and slot WR in certain packages. It could explain why Texas really didn't push for Tabari Hines. 

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The People's Republic of Berkeley. I'm not surprised at all by that information. 

Watson could add quite a bit of value to the offense. I think he can play RB and slot WR in certain packages. It could explain why Texas really didn't push for Tabari Hines. 

It's also just a really good school that thinks of itself much more as an educational institution than a sports school (with a tad of little brother syndrome vis-a-vis Stanford on both counts)

Edited by texifornia

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

It's also just a really good school that thinks of itself much more as an educational institution than a sports school (with a tad of little brother syndrome vis-a-vis Stanford on both counts)

nah they're just too skeered to compete

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Eh I don't think Berkeley has a little brother syndrome towards anyone. They have more Nobel Prizes than anyone besides Harvard and Cambridge and basically the entire bottom two rows of the Periodic Table to themselves. Maybe they do with sports, but I feel like they have to first start giving a shit before they develop a little brother syndrome about it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Kyle Porter should see pretty limited with a rotation of Watson, Young, Ingram and probably Carter are in front of him. 

When can we flush some of the dead weight that wasn't even listed here?

1 minute ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Eh I don't think Berkeley has a little brother syndrome towards anyone. They have more Nobel Prizes than anyone besides Harvard and Cambridge and basically the entire bottom two rows of the Periodic Table to themselves. Maybe they do with sports, but I feel like they have to first start giving a shit before they develop a little brother syndrome about it.

I probably pick that up more than is the overall vibe because I know more people who were Berkeley undergrads and athletes than I do the grad school folks who are out there changing the world. Anyway, sidebar over.

Just now, texifornia said:

I probably pick that up more than is the overall vibe because I know more people who were Berkeley undergrads and athletes than I do the grad school folks who are out there changing the world. Anyway, sidebar over.

Yeah that's probably fair, the undergrads definitely have more of a chip on their shoulder. With the West Coast university talk over, I really hope we get Tre Watson. If we can get a solid stable where we share carries between Young, Watson, and Carter I'll be pretty happy without RB room. Hopefully Ingram turns out great too.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I’ll tell you what, man, when you, UT Lawnghorn, fatkid54 and sarvanaash get rolling together between a few of each you, you guys can derail a thread with the best of ‘em.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ll tell you what, man, when you, UT Lawnghorn, fatkid54 and sarvanaash get rolling together between a few of each you, you guys can derail a thread with the best of ‘em.

Hey we got to do what we must because we can and we must reach page 1000 and they don't fill themselves :P

35 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Davis and Emery Jr has always been the avenue towards LSU eliminating themselves from Cain. Davis is just having fun, he's a Lab kid which means he's a lock, with few exceptions. If LSU didn't have two studs in state, they'd probably be landing Cain. 

Cal talk is an upgrade from Stanford talk at least.

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

LSU fans are talking s*** about Texas' offense in a Tre Watson thread on Geaux247. Oh, that's rich. 

Caden Sterns was just the start. I generally like LSU as far as our regional recruiting rivals go, but their tears are always sweet.

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Cal talk is an upgrade from Stanford talk at least.

Caden Sterns was just the start. I generally like LSU as far as our regional recruiting rivals go, but their tears are always sweet.

You must not know many of them personally. May as well be bayou aggy with more success. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

Davis and Emery Jr has always been the avenue towards LSU eliminating themselves from Cain. Davis is just having fun, he's a Lab kid which means he's a lock, with few exceptions. If LSU didn't have two studs in state, they'd probably be landing Cain. 

The dad is in New Orleans and plays a big role with Cain, but I don’t agree that he’d “probably be going there” but for the two other guys. The circumstances in BR aren’t fixing themselves and the player himself isn’t incredibly interested in trying to them sort their issues out. 

1 hour ago, TrojanPrincess said:

From the article, Jake Smith's listed 40 time is 4.37. I think Jordan Shipley prior to injuries is apt comparison. 

I believe Ship was ripping off hand timed sub 4.4s in high school. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

25 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

You must not know many of them personally. May as well be bayou aggy with more success. 

I know a few LSU alumni/fans, and they're good people. It probably helps that I don't live in Houston or near the TX-LA border, and so I'm not surrounded by them.

In addition, they've done quite well in making our rivals miserable. 2004 Sugar Bowl for OU, and of course their annual contribution to the A&M roller coaster.

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Posts like this always amaze me.  Fully appreciate Lubbock might not be your personal cup of tea.   As for myself, having spent plenty of time in the Bay Area, I don't think someone could pay me enough to live there.  Pretty clearly, such opinions are just very subjective it seems to me.

While TTU as a program has had its struggles of late, it's pretty clear KK has put out some pretty successful offenses during his tenure.  Additionally, the former OL line coach at Cal is at Tech now and Watson has a very good relationship with him.  Likewise,  Watson friend and former TTU qb, Davis Webb, who transferred to Cal his senior year, has been in his ear selling him on the advantages of Tech and playing in that offense.

Have no idea what will happen.  He was quoted as saying his Tech visit was the best visit he'd ever been on.  No doubt his UT visit drew a rave review too.  I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

18 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

Posts like this always amaze me.  Fully appreciate Lubbock might not be your personal cup of tea.   As for myself, having spent plenty of time in the Bay Area, I don't think someone could pay me enough to live there.  Pretty clearly, such opinions are just very subjective it seems to me.

While TTU as a program has had its struggles of late, it's pretty clear KK has put out some pretty successful offenses during his tenure.  Additionally, the former OL line coach at Cal is at Tech now and Watson has a very good relationship with him.  Likewise,  Watson friend and former TTU qb, Davis Webb, who transferred to Cal his senior year, has been in his ear selling him on the advantages of Tech and playing in that offense.

Have no idea what will happen.  He was quoted as saying his Tech visit was the best visit he'd ever been on.  No doubt his UT visit drew a rave review too.  I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Sorry to break it to you Raider Rash but he's not going to Tech 

1 hour ago, pigmeat markham said:

We're talking about an African-American student athlete who:

1) Is from California.
2) CHOSE to attend UC-Berkeley out of high school.
3) Graduated from Berkeley in 4 years.
4) Never had a breakout season at UC-Berkeley (so the NFL is not a likely possibility)
5) Will be hoping to attend Grad School at a place with a good (national) reputation while playing out one final season of NCAA football.
6) Is used to hills, trees, and water.
7) Is used to a culturally diverse, ethnically diverse, politically liberal campus/ town/ metropolitan area/ state.

Why in the fuck do you think anyone with those 7 characteristics would ever entertain attending school in Lubbock over Austin?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RGBIII said:

EJ confirmed this, says Emery goes to LSU and Cain doesn’t want to be in a three back class. Also confirmed that Wilkins is rescheduling his OV to the fall

EJ after dark: New Crystal Ball picks in for Texas

— I had a Crystal Ball pick in for elite running back Noah Cain to Texas a while ago before changing it to foggy due to LSU's push. He is a Baton Rouge native, his father loves the LSU program, and he’s made multiple visits. But from I have been able to gather, LSU is likely to land John Emery and already holds a commitment from Tyrion Davis. Cain doesn’t want to be a part of three-back class and had a blast on his recent visit to UT. He also has a strong bond with Stan Drayton and is impressed with his resume. It felt like the right time to switch my CB back to the Longhorns.

— That wasn’t the only Crystal Ball pick I put in for Texas today. I also made an early prediction for four-star 2020 Duncanville athlete Ja’Quinden Jackson to land in Austin. He told me today that the Longhorns blew him away on his unofficial visit last weekend and is a huge fan of the coaching staff. Baylor and Oklahoma State are threats and offered super early, but I really like UT’s chances here. Keep in mind that new Texas assistant Ra’Shaad Samples is the son of Jackson’s high school coach, Reggie Sample, and is playing a big role in this recruitment.

— There was some confusion in regards to Stacey Wilkins visiting this weekend. He fully intended to do so and gave Mike those quotes on Sunday at The Opening Dallas. However, things changed over the last 48 hours. Wilkins spoke with the staff, and he is rescheduling his trip for the fall. Wilkins is still high on Texas and is looking forward to experiencing the game day atmosphere on the Forty Acres.

— Out-of-state cornerbacks Jaden Davis and Chester Kimbrough will not make it in this weekend. They are both looking to reschedule their visits. Right now, OU appears to be the frontrunner for Davis, while Florida is the favorite for Kimbrough.

• Like 1

Don't know how I should feel about Wilkins rescheduling. EJ's quote sounds a bit like the staff tried to push back the OV, but I'm a little worried that he might be committing to BlowU somewhere down the road and won't be making it in the fall...

6 minutes ago, T-dog said:

Don't know how I should feel about Wilkins rescheduling. EJ's quote sounds a bit like the staff tried to push back the OV, but I'm a little worried that he might be committing to BlowU somewhere down the road and won't be making it in the fall...

I recall seeing a pic of him throwing the horns down on his OU visit. I’m guessing that is extremely rare to do that and then later commit to UT.