Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Brainiacs are saying Zach Williams will commit in August before his HS football season starts.

That would not suck. Williams is blowing up and getting all sorts of huge offers. We were possibly the first big time program after him and I think w should the lead, so the sooner he commits, the better for us. 

OB War Room Recruiting Updates 

(From Suchomel)

Texas continues to focus on a number of West Coast players and is enjoying success, so we checked in with Rivals.com analyst Adam Gorney to get his thoughts on some of the Longhorns’ top targets in that region.

WR 
Mycah Pittman – His dad (Michael Pittman) played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, so Florida is playing a big role. He visited there, likes it a whole lot. He grew up watching Tim Tebow and Percy Harvin. Ohio State has been involved for a long time. Texas is definitely going to get a visit. A lot of people around Pittman are actually pushing Texas as a destination. If (2020 QB) Bryce Young goes there, there’s an even better chance Pittman will go to Texas (they occasionally play on the same 7 on 7 team). They’re definitely a school he likes and will be a contender for him.

2020 QB 
Bryce Young - My sense is that Oklahoma and Texas are starting to feel like the top two. I think USC is still in there, but USC is in this delicate balance of trying to get D.J. Uiagalelei. He’s kind of their number one target, and Bryce Young is the 1A target. They don’t want to screw that up. They want to make sure they get one but they’re not going to get both for sure. D.J. is really taking his time, he’s still a sophomore in high school. Bryce is probably going to make a decision before the start of this season.

There was actually some talk that Bryce might commit when he visited OU recently, but Texas wanted him to visit again and did a good job of getting him to drive down. Bryce had actually made the decision to not commit anywhere no matter how good it was. His family loves Austin, loves the coaching staff. This is really is starting to feel like Oklahoma or Texas.

WR 
Jake Smith – He’s visiting USC this weekend, so that can change everything up. But he really loved Texas, sees a huge opportunity in that offense, loves the coaching staff, can be used all over the field. I think Texas has the edge, but I’m saying that before he visits USC. I would say Texas has the edge over USC right now. The kid is super, super fast (of note … I talked to his coach this week, who told me Smith was clocked at a 4.37 … as a sophomore). When you see him play, he translates to a guy that’s going to catch a lot of passes in college football. I saw him at the Adidas 7-on-7 (National Championships), and he’s not just a fast kid who doesn’t know what he’s doing. He has great hands, he’s smart, you can put him in the slot and he can run routes, he comes out of the backfield, he kind of does everything. He’s a very interesting player who at Texas would immediately be an impact player in the Big 12.

ATH Bru McCoy – My thinking on Bru is he’s going to end up at USC. He’s a Mater Dei kid, he’s close to all those guys and a lot go to USC. He’s going to take his visits, he’s very intelligent, he’s being very patient. He’s not going to decommit and recommit, he’s not that kind of kid. He’s really not into the hype of it. I think Texas will be a factor. He plays with Premium (Sports 7 on 7), so if Bryce goes to Texas, that could help. He and (UT commitment) De’Gabriel Floyd are close but not super close, so I’m not sure that will be a huge factor. After talking to him after the Texas visit, he’s still in the beginning stages of getting to know the coaches, but likes them a lot. I think USC, Ohio State, Texas and Oklahoma are the main ones there, but I’d be surprised if it’s not USC.

DB 
Mykael Wright – He’s got a top list and Texas is in there. It’s hard to get a gauge on him. I think his dream school is Oregon, so they’ll be a big-time factor. He’s another Premium (7 on 7) guy though. I would say USC, Oregon, possibly Arizona State. But I don’t see him leaving the Pac 12.

DB 
Chris Adimora – I saw him for the first time this spring at the Under Armour camp and love him. He’s super fluid, super athletic, no body fat. He kind of looks like an SEC-type safety – physical, aggressive, gets after people. He has a great frame, can even get bigger I think. When USC offered last year, I was kind of like ‘Who is this guy?’ because he doesn’t play 7 on 7 or anything, then I saw him at Under Armour camp and our (Rivals) camp and he was very, very good. He’s definitely a kid moving up in California. My sense is he’s still open to other programs, he’s been taking a lot of visits. But he had a great time at Texas, and I think they’ll be a very strong contender the whole way.

DB 
Noa Pola-Gates - He’s very interested in Penn State. He took an unofficial visit there and loved it. It’s the only official he has scheduled is back to Penn State in September. I’m not sure where he stands with Texas. I think the Pac 12 and Penn State are most involved there.

A bit more from my conversation with Texas graduate transfer RB Tre Watson (in case you missed it on Thursday, you can find our story on Watson and OL transfer Calvin Anderson here).

Watson detailed his decision to be a Longhorn …

“It was a close decision. I liked both schools, both programs. I felt like I’d have a chance to come in and have a big impact (at Texas). At the end of the day, I felt like Texas was the best fit for me, the direction they’re going. I liked what they talked about. Stan Drayton just showed me a different side of the game that‘s important to know at this point of my career. I feel like he’ll get me ready for the next level. I feel like Texas is in the running to be at a national level they’ve been at before, wanted to go be a part of that.”

I mentioned it after Watson committed, but this was a much closer race than most realized. The night before his commitment, Watson went to bed thinking he’d commit to Texas Tech the next day. When he woke up, he found himself leaning towards Texas and a talk with his mom solidified that stance. Watson told me he literally drew names out of a hat the morning of his commitment and Texas came out the winner.

“It was kind of Texas Tech the night before, but I woke up all Texas. My mind was pretty made up. I just wanted to see what fate brought to the table. I put the names in the hat, had my little brother draw the names out of the hat and it came up Texas twice,” Watson said.

Watson moves to Austin on Friday and said he’s ready to get started on the next chapter of his football and academic career.

“It’s all excitement. Longhorn nation has shown so much love through this whole thing. I’m just excited to go out there and compete, show what I bring to the table,” Watson said. “I’m a grad transfer, an old man in this. I have one year, for them to be able to put themselves out there, put it in my hands is a blessing. I’m coming off a knee injury, they believe in my ability to come back. I want to show them, show Longhorn nation what I bring. I want to show it to the country, win a national championship.”

OL grad transfer Calvin Anderson will move in a few days after Watson. He chose Texas over Auburn, Michigan and Oklahoma and said his was a difficult choice as well.

“It was extremely difficult. I know it seems like it’s a no-brainer to go to Texas for a guy form Austin who has family there. But for me, the opportunity to maximize my future, it was difficult,” Anderson said. “I wanted to be objective, give each school an opportunity. I did that, so I feel much more resolute in my decision. … I’m very happy I did that, but it was a difficult choice. There were some great schools … there’s a reason they were in my top four.

“It was a very difficult decision, but I’m very happy with the decision I made.”

So what was it that led Anderson to choose the Longhorns?

“A big reason, I know I said this through the recruiting process, but it was coach Herb Hand. I had known about him when I was at Rice – when you’re an offensive lineman playing at the NCAA level, you’re aware of the top people in your craft. He was recruiting me at Auburn. I enjoyed talking to him how he viewed the offensive line, I had a genuine affection for that. … Coach Herb Hand was a huge decision maker for me. I can’t wait to see that pay off in the summer when we start football.

Another thing was getting to be a part of this offense. All programs have unique history, but there’s a lot to be said about Texas football over the years. Getting the opportunity to put on the burnt orange, have that be part of my long-term story, a story I’ll tell my kids, a story when I make to the next level, hopefully, that also attracted me. And coach (Yancy) McKnight, the strength and condition was a huge part as well.”

Anderson said he had a S&C coach at Rice and connections to several others who had nothing but praise for McKnight.

Anderson talked about what he feels are legitimate goals for Texas this season, since a part of the reason he chose the Longhorns was because of his confidence in Texas turning in a successful 2018 season.

“What I hope to accomplish is to help better the offensive line overall, make them better as another piece added on. I hope to make O-line collectively better, give more protection to Sam so he can make more plays, be the athlete and star he already is. Shoot man, I want to help take us to a 10+-win season. I would love to be a part of the postseason. Those are all goals of mine. I know it’s a process, I have to take it one step at a time. That’s what I’ll do, just keep grinding and take it one step at a time.”

Fort Worth Nolan Catholic DE/LB NaNa Osafo-Mensah will announce his final decision on Saturday out of Texas and Notre Dame. The Irish had been long-time leaders in this one but Texas did a great job of closing the gap during a couple visits this spring. Close race, but I’m expecting this one to go Notre Dame’s way when Osafo-Mensah makes his announcement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Yep. and I don’t think there’s much of a difference between them. I like Nana better as a prospect but his game film sucked and that would give me pause.

Either way, I’d rather have both of them.

I'm interested to see how Sweat looks his Sr. year.  By what little I've read he's bigger now than his 247 listing of 6'3 250 (think I saw now he's 6'4 260+).  Anyways he looks the part.  I bet hes a high 3*/low 4* in the end.  To bad we didn't get to see him at any camps this year.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

I'm interested to see how Sweat looks his Sr. year.  By what little I've read has bigger now than his 247 listing of 6'3 250 (think I saw now he's 6'4 260+).  Anyways he looks the part.  I bet hes a high 3*/low 4* in the end.

Yeah. I consider him different than Williams or Nana. This guys are more pass rushers like Hager or Omenihu. I view Sweat as more akin to Chris Nelson.

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-weekend-may-18th-20th/

– As Super K mentioned last week, a recruit that once appeared to be a slam dunk commitment at Wide Receiver, Elijah Higgins, appears to have cooled considerably on Texas. In fact, sources close to the situation tell us that after his visit to Stanford this week, they are the clear leaders to land his commitment.

While it was evident that Stanford was a major player for Higgins even prior to the visit, it appears as though his visit has pushed them to the front of the pack.

A Stanford visit is a unique experience, and in many cases, a recruit goes out there and is either all in, or all out, as the overall experience at Stanford, between the rigorous course load and small town feel, is something much different than most major football schools.

In this case, it appears that Higgins is all in for Stanford and the Longhorns will continue looking for WR commits elsewhere. – (Charlie)

– Earlier this week, Texas extended an offer to 2019 Wide Receiver Dannis Jackson out of Sumrall, Mississippi.

Sumrall is 6’1″ 180 lbs. He is a dynamic play-maker who is an Under Armour All-American, and he has a very impressive offer list.

I was able to briefly catch up with him and he let me know that he received the offer over the phone from Coach Mehringer. The staff has not been out to see him yet, but they are setting up a time to go have an in-person look at their newest offer.

When I asked him about the potential for a visit, Dannis said “I’ve been thinking about when I’m going to get up there, but I’m not sure yet”. Jackson went on to say “Today was the first time I talked to the WR coach at Texas and he seems like a good guy”.

As for who his leaders are at the current time, Dannis stated “nobody is in the lead, and Texas will have a legit shot with me”.

While pulling a kid out of Mississippi is no easy task, the fact that he insisted there was no true leader for him at rhis point is certainly a positive for the Longhorns. The first task will be getting him on campus and if that happens, I feel like Texas will jump fully into the race for his services.

I’ll have more on Dannis as his plans come together. – (Charlie)

– Recently, Super K caught up with Joe T. Robinson (AR) DE Zach Williams and got some quotes from him following his Texas visit. He also talked about some other things, including how his dad is a former Arkansas Razorback and the pressure to possibly stay home. I caught up with Williams recently to see where he’s at as far as a commitment timeline and when he plans on taking his official visits.

Williams told me in the past that he originally planned to make his commitment in May. But, after the big offers continued to roll in, he wanted to take a look at some other schools first. He now tells me that he plans to make his commitment before the first game of his senior season, which is August 24th.

Right now Williams and his family are in the process of scheduling official visits. He told me the schools he’s thinking about are Texas, Florida, TCU, Baylor, Purdue, Arkansas, Texas Tech, Oregon State, and Tennessee. All five of his official visits will happen this summer. The only one that is set right now is actually one to Oregon State, on June 8th-10th. He will also take an unofficial visit to Cal this summer.

As I talk to Zach and some other people around him, it sounds like this one is a Texas-Arkansas battle as of today. Obviously the official visits can change things. And I expect both of those schools to receive official visits along with Oregon State. The other two visits seem to be up for grabs right now. – (Andrew)

– As you all know, 2019 DE NaNa Osafo-Mensah is set to announce his decision between Texas and Notre Dame, this weekend.

This one is still trending Notre Dame here but there seemed to be a bit of last minute hope left for Texas.

I should know more tonight, but again, this one is still trending Notre Dame. – (Super K)

I know we've talked a little on here recently about recruiting out of state/west etc..., with the Scipio Tex articles, and it got me thinking and crunching some numbers.

Starting with scipio's numbers, Urban Meyer's last two classes were 74% out of state players

Now, to compare to Texas:

Charlie Strong's last class in '16: around 18% oos players.

Herman's first full cycle class of 2018: 30% oos players.

Longhorns 2019 class offers so far: almost 71% of offers to oos players (80/113).

So far, the 2019 commit list is at 50% oos players (3/3).

Just for the fyi.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

What does a realistic WR class look like now??  This is a question for the "WRs in Texas are a dime a dozen" crew.

Whittington, Smith, Wright, [any of the many recent offers]

EDIT: Forgot Tongue as a WR/ATH

Edited by texifornia

Just now, BigBenBamboozle said:

What does a realistic WR class look like now??  This is a question for the "WRs in Texas are a dime a dozen" crew.

Whittington, Smith, Wright, Tongue, + 1 more likely out of state guy. I'm hoping for Pittman, although I'm not sure how realistic that is at this point. We'll stay on Wilson, but that one is very unlikely unless some things change. I think Tongue eventually changes positions, but he'll come in as a WR. We'll recruit Bru hard, but I'll believe that one is realistic when I see it happen. 

1 minute ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

It's not so much just in TX. The whole country is saturated with WRs.  If we lose out on Higgins and Wilson and only focus on in-state guys, it would be a mistake.  Pick the best 2 guys to pair with Whittington and Smith (Lord willing).  

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Whittington, Smith, Wright, Tongue, + 1 more likely out of state guy. I'm hoping for Pittman, although I'm not sure how realistic that is at this point. We'll stay on Wilson, but that one is very unlikely unless some things change. I think Tongue eventually changes positions, but he'll come in as a WR. We'll recruit Bru hard, but I'll believe that one is realistic when I see it happen. 

Even if we get Tongue, I won't count him as a WR.  Even just one year repping at WR instead of LB would be such a criminal misuse of his talents. Not quite the same with Bru because he's such a freak, he'd be insanely good at either but we're not getting Bru anyways, so it's a mute point.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

4 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Even if we get Tongue, I won't count him as a WR.  Even just one year repping at WR instead of LB would be such a criminal misuse of his talents. Not quite the same with Bru because he's such a freak, he'd be insanely good at either but we're not getting Bru anyways, so it's a mute point.

I'm the same way with Tongue, I was just pointing out that he'll be listed as a WR, and Herman will likely call him a WR on his signing day presser. 

11 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Solid offer list

Yeah, it is quite possible that he is like Wilson, where he lacks the breakaway speed and athletic ability but runs precise routes and just makes plays. That can be hard to tell from film. But again, just looking at the HUDL, he seems like a guy who is a little faster and bigger than his competition but he doesn't have world-class athletic ability and isn't a physical specimen like Higgins or Tongue.

7 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

If the guy wants to be a receiver, you let him try to be a receiver. It is better than the alternative. And looking at his film, he is every bit the receiver Higgins is.

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, it is quite possible that he is like Wilson, where he lacks the breakaway speed and athletic ability but runs precise routes and just makes plays. That can be hard to tell from film. But again, just looking at the HUDL, he seems like a guy who is a little faster and bigger than his competition but he doesn't have world-class athletic ability and isn't a physical specimen like Higgins or Tongue.

Idk anything about his school specifically, but Maryland HS football generally isn't anything to write home about and it didn't look like he was facing elite competition in that film.

11 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

all the names will consist of OOS guys or guys we've talked a lot about. I know he's highly rated but I feel like Demariyon Houston gets no run/respect relative to a lot of the other targets we have. Jalen Curry seems to have faded in terms of talk, but that guy can play and has a good frame, I feel like he's the odd man out in the Texas WR class this year but I'd much rather have him than Arjei Henderson, for instance. 

If you're looking for a name to follow as a late offer or perhaps a rising SR type guy, I think Kennedy Lewis is probably a guy that deserves more attention than he's gotten. Genson Hooper-Price as well. Nnamdi Adim-Madumere has gotten more attention because of his projectable size but really could end up a tweener, and I think looked better as a defensive prospect/project. 

https://247sports.com/player/kennedy-lewis-46047361

https://247sports.com/Player/Genson-Hooper-Price-46039047

Hearing that the staff has really cooled off on Higgins. The word is he doesn't love football enough and is more concerned with school and books and nerd shit (hence the Stanford interest). You don't want guys like that in your locker room. Herman wants players who can execute RPOs, not IPOs. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

all the names will consist of OOS guys or guys we've talked a lot about. I know he's highly rated but I feel like Demariyon Houston gets no run/respect relative to a lot of the other targets we have. Jalen Curry seems to have faded in terms of talk, but that guy can play and has a good frame, I feel like he's the odd man out in the Texas WR class this year but I'd much rather have him than Arjei Henderson, for instance. 

If you're looking for a name to follow as a late offer or perhaps a rising SR type guy, I think Kennedy Lewis is probably a guy that deserves more attention than he's gotten. Genson Hooper-Price as well. Nnamdi Adim-Madumere has gotten more attention because of his projectable size but really could end up a tweener, and I think looked better as a defensive prospect/project. 

https://247sports.com/player/kennedy-lewis-46047361

https://247sports.com/Player/Genson-Hooper-Price-46039047

I'm not sure what to think about Houston and Major; they play fucking 2A ball in Oklahoma. From the camp highlights I could find, Houston didn't really stand out against comparable competition 

I've just assumed that Curry ends up wherever Gunnell ends up, so I haven't paid attention to him 

Kennedy Lewis and Peyton Powell are the in-state sleepers I like. We can probably track TCU, Okie State, and maybe Baylor for other sleeper WRs in the region. 

Genson Hooper-Price seems like Tommy Bush 2.0. I'd like him better if I felt better about our WR room. He's a high beta prospect.  

Everyone has had Nnamdi Adim-Madumere penned in to A&M's class, but Bama is starting to show more interest 

The best case scenario is someone like Pittman or Marcus Washington being legitimately interested, but regardless, we really only need one more spot to fill if we feel good about Smith and Wright, so we can afford to wait and see how guys develop, and if we have great results on the field we might have to turn down some studs at the position 

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

Genson Hooper-Price seems like Tommy Bush 2.0. I'd like him better if I felt better about our WR room. He's a high beta prospect.  

Agree on the comparison in terms of basement floor and incredibly high ceiling. Incredibly raw. Freakish athleticism. But GHP doesn't fight the ball nearly as much, and more importantly I don't worry that he'd poison the locker room with a shitty ass attitude. Far less risk to me, but i 100% get what your saying and agree. If our WR room was in better shape GHP is a guy I'd love for them to take a flyer on as a development prospect. 

Forgot about Peyton Powell. 

Kennedy Lewis is going to be a problem at TCU or OkSt (likely landing spots, imho). I certainly wouldn't mind Texas circling back on him if the OOS targets fizzle. 

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Since Arizona has become a focus has this guys name ever mentioned?  4* SDE.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ty-Robinson-46047228

He is a big dude. I didn't see a HUDL though. And no, I haven't seen his name mentioned. It seems like we are looking for quickness over anything else so I wonder what his athletic ability is like.

2 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Are we at all interested in this kid? I haven't heard a lick about us recruiting him, but he seems like someone we should be after at this point.

https://247sports.com/Player/Tamauzia-Brown-94118

Someone from ETX on this board said he's a grades/character concern (not in a bad kid way, just a really tough background)

7 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Are we at all interested in this kid? I haven't heard a lick about us recruiting him, but he seems like someone we should be after at this point.

https://247sports.com/Player/Tamauzia-Brown-94118

Texas hasn't shown much interest. I thought he'd be an interesting safety/nickel prospect, but we're already killing it there. 

21 minutes ago, Bevo said:

He is a big dude. I didn't see a HUDL though. And no, I haven't seen his name mentioned. It seems like we are looking for quickness over anything else so I wonder what his athletic ability is like.

Seems like a 4i guy for our system.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7509795/59b7e8d1da5b6f0cb8776a4d

26 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Looks quick enough when unblocked.

30 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Since Arizona has become a focus has this guys name ever mentioned?  4* SDE.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ty-Robinson-46047228

csb I have a cousin named Ty Robinson, coaches small town TX football now, as does his bro Bo Robinson. Bo just sent his son, Silas, to play at Arky (lame). 

I guess what this all means is that I should pencil this Ty Robinson into both our calculator and Arkansas calculator just to be safe 

The thing is, the vibe I'm getting from Tongue (admittedly from 9.95ers who may not know what is really up) is that he's only considering the schools recruiting him as a WR. Is he that good at LB to take a chance on landing him as a "WR" and then trying to convert him to D against his will?

1 minute ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

The thing is, the vibe I'm getting from Tongue (admittedly from 9.95ers who may not know why is really up) is that he's only considering the schools recruiting him as a WR. Is he that good at LB to take a chance on landing him as a "WR" and then trying to convert him to D against his will?

Defensively, he profiles as a linebacker who can play in space. Those aren't easy to find these days. 

4 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

csb I have a cousin named Ty Robinson, coaches small town TX football now, as does his bro Bo Robinson. Bo just sent his son, Silas, to play at Arky (lame). 

I guess what this all means is that I should pencil this Ty Robinson into both our calculator and Arkansas calculator just to be safe 

Silas was a good long snapper, right?

2 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

The thing is, the vibe I'm getting from Tongue (admittedly from 9.95ers who may not know why is really up) is that he's only considering the schools recruiting him as a WR. Is he that good at LB to take a chance on landing him as a "WR" and then trying to convert him to D against his will?

Honestly, I don't think he'll be a very good WR at all.  At LB though, I think he could be All-Big 12 and maybe better depending on his development with a very good shot at getting drafted.  I would be very surprised if any big school recruiting him actually plans to have him play WR all four years.  

Plus, I doubt the staff would just force him to move to D immediately. They'd likely let him get some time at WR, let it become apparent he's not going to see the field a ton at that spot or have a huge impact and let him grow more open to it.  He may even come to that realization before he even steps on campus.

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Silas was a good long snapper, right?

I think that was the word, yes. But hell if I know I never saw him play, I lived 2000 miles away during his high school years.  I watched a smidge of his tape but to be honest wasn’t really impressed (sorry fam)

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Big fan of this offer. He's a man cover guy and a really good fit with the guys we landed last year. I have worried for a while that TCU would get involved with him. 

His profile shows a TCU offer.

Did he attend either of the Regional Openings in Texas this year?

Edited by Elmer_Fudd