Texas recruiting notes 2019

39 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Bro. Do you even?

Not sure I would be touting this list, including what some have considered the greatest bust of all time. UT has had only 3 QB's drafted in that same period and somehow I bet the aggregate career stats of VY, Colt and Chris Simms is better than this group. 

20 minutes ago, PencilPusher said:

Not sure I would be touting this list, including what some have considered the greatest bust of all time. UT has had only 3 QB's drafted in that same period and somehow I bet the aggregate career stats of VY, Colt and Chris Simms is better than this group. 

Clearly you can't comprehend the prodigious escapades of one Matt Flynn.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/02/sports/football/backup-flynn-sets-records-as-packers-beat-lions.html

With Aaron Rodgers bundled up on the sideline in cold and windy conditions, the backup quarterback Matt Flynn set franchise records with 480 passing yards and 6 touchdowns — the final one to Jermichael Finley with 1 minute 10 seconds left — giving the Packers a 45-41 victory over the Detroit Lions on Sunday in a wild regular-season finale.

If you go to LSU, you are guaranteed to throw for 480 yards and 6 TDs in an NFL game. It's simple logic, really.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PencilPusher said:

I think the Ogre really meant for a defensive back or DL graphic to be made but they couldn't understand him and did a best guess on what he was saying thinking he said quarterbacks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Correct. 

Zach_Williams_CB.png

I wrote something about him a little while back.  I really like his tape.  He's got a great frame, really good burst and long arms. He already knows how to leverage OL well at 220 lbs. Once he bulks up, he'll be a nightmare to handle. I've been critical of this staff's DL recruiting, but they can absolutely evaluate at all positions and, at least on defense, develop.  

Id' rather him be in addition to, but at least he would be a great replacement for some of the targets we've missed on or are expected to miss on.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

On 5/16/2018 at 12:16 PM, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

For those of us that don't give two shits about FSU recruiting, please feel free to bring us to speed.

Shavar Manuel was a national-level DE at IMG.  Had all the big offers but was a bit of a character/grades risk.  He committed to UF 2 weeks before NSD 2016. Then on NSD, he pulled a move that would make anyone not named Nick Saban blush.  He flips to FSU out of the blue, leaving UF with no backup at his position and not informing their staff that he would do it.  He claimed he planned it with FSU's DL coach about a week before and said he committed to UF 2 weeks prior due to family/others pressure on him. The DL coach for FSU seemed to corroborate this premeditated plan to flip but then JImbo denied having any knowledge of that plan. 

Plain and simple, you don't get that kind of vindictive planning from a recruit who liked the UF staff enough to commit to them without some added incentive.  Guys who go to UT still like aggy position coaches that recruited them, for the most part, and vice versa.  These are guys that have been pouring into them for over two years.  They're not gonna screw over guys who they have a meaningful relationship with. As an aside, the UF DL coach who got screwed over was Chris Rumph, the man who ditched UT for UF right after NSD leaving "no hablo espanol" feeling muy furioso, and he was also famous for a certain practice photo that made members of the shag immediately go buy lifted F-250s in order to compensate.   

It all ended up being meaningless as he didn't qualify and went Juco but still. It shows the seemingly improbable flips that Jimbo finds ways to muster out of thin air and shows he gets players who are somewhat known to be up for bidding, just like a lot of those late OOS  kids with some red flags he grabbed last year, and also that Jimbo's willing to play extremely dirty against his rivals.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, satyanash said:

FSU lost Dante Fowler in a similar fashion to Florida, as I recall. The UF-FSU-Miami recruiting wars were brutally cutthroat in those days. No expenses spared.

After a quick google search, they don't appear to be very similar. Fowler was committed to FSU for months, but he expressed his concern about their depth chart and publicly visited UF multiple times while being committed to FSU. FSU had two returning star DEs and two 5 star DEs already committed. The first article indicates that once Mario Edwards said he was sticking with FSU, Fowler decided to flip.  So, it was more of a numbers issue, FSU had plenty of warning, and FSU already had two studs committed at the spot.  That's not very similar to the Shavar Manuel situation.

https://tampabay.sbnation.com/florida-gators/2012/2/1/2763506/dante-fowler-flips-florida-gators-seminoles-national-signing-day

https://www.alligatorarmy.com/2012/2/1/2763671/dante-fowler-jr-florida-football-national-signing-day-2012

Edited by UT Lawnghorn
  • Like 2

E.J. Holland: UT pledge T'Vondre Sweat on future of program, commitment status

Huntsville defensive lineman T’Vondre Sweat gave Texas an early verbal commitment and is a key member of the Longhorns’ 2019 class. Horns247’s EJ Holland sat down with Sweat to get his thoughts on his decision, the future of the program and more.

EJ: How has spring ball been going for you so far?

TS: It’s going well. Really, I’m just glad I made my decision. It really helped me get a lot off of my mind and focus on my team.

EJ: Like you said, you made an early commitment to Texas. What went into that decision?

TS: I just had to get recruiting off of my mind. I had a lot going on, so I talked to my mom about it, and we felt like Texas was the best fit. My mom likes it, and she’s going to be there for me.

EJ: What was it about Texas that made you feel like it was the place for you?

TS: I would say my relationship with Tom Herman and Coach (Oscar) Giles. I like everything about them. They are honest. They keep it real with me.

EJ: What stands out to you the most about Coach Giles?

TS: Like I said, he’s honest with me. He texts me almost everyday. He talks to me about getting better and getting in the weight room. He wants me to do everything I can do to so I can do well at the next level. He’s funny, too.

EJ: Has Coach Giles talked to you much about how you’ll fit into UT’s defensive scheme?

TS: Not really. I think they like me more as a 4i technique. Wherever they need me, I’m going to play.

EJ: You also mentioned your relationship with Coach Herman. What stands out to you about him?

TS: Last time I talked to him, he told me he loved me. That meant a lot to me. He cares about the players. He’s a goofy guy, too. I like him a lot.

EJ: You’ve ben to Texas a few times. What do you like about the campus and the city of Austin?

TS: I like it. I’m trying to get back there for a visit in June. My plan was to stay in Texas, but I wanted to be a little far away from home. There really isn’t anything for me in Houston.

EJ: What do you think about the future of the Texas program?

TS: We’re going to win championships. I want to see them win championships this year, too. I believe we’re going to turn it around. I trust Coach Herman.

EJ: Have any other schools tried to jump in the mix and pry you away from Texas?

TS: Texas Tech just offered me. That’s really about it. But I’m solid to Texas. I’m 110 percent committed.

EJ: I know you’re a pretty quiet guy. Have you tried to recruit any other targets to Texas?

TS: Not really. But we have a group chat with some 2019 guys. We talk about top schools and things like that. We tell them to join the 2019 class. But that’s about it.

EJ: Away from recruiting, what are some of your goals for your senior season?

TS: Well, my uncle passed away around the Under Armour All-America camp, so I didn’t get to go. This season, I want to try my hardest to prove that I can play in the game and be an All-American.

EJ: You know you play against fellow Texas commit Roschon Johnson early in the season. How much are you looking forward to that game?

TS: I’m going to have to give it to him (laughs). I’m going to give him that work.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

FSU lost Dante Fowler in a similar fashion to Florida, as I recall. The UF-FSU-Miami recruiting wars were brutally cutthroat in those days. No expenses spared.

FSU lost Fowler because he was scared of competing against Mario Edwards Jr for a starting spot, hence the "Dainty Flowers" nickname.

2 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

After a quick google search, they don't appear to be very similar. Fowler was committed to FSU for months, but he expressed his concern about their depth chart and publicly visited UF multiple times while being committed to FSU. FSU had two returning star DEs and two 5 star DEs already committed. The first article indicates that once Mario Edwards said he was sticking with FSU, Fowler decided to flip.  So, it was more of a numbers issue, FSU had plenty of warning, and FSU already had two studs committed at the spot.  That's not very similar to the Shavar Manuel situation.

https://tampabay.sbnation.com/florida-gators/2012/2/1/2763506/dante-fowler-flips-florida-gators-seminoles-national-signing-day

https://www.alligatorarmy.com/2012/2/1/2763671/dante-fowler-jr-florida-football-national-signing-day-2012

Don’t let facts get in the way of sarvanaash’s pussyrubbing, sir. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kevwun said:

That is awesome.  7 guys drafted and all of them sucked.  You can't get that kind of consistency anywhere else in the SEC.

Flynn is prob the most famous (for a good reason, unlike Russel) of the group and he was famous as the guy that Rodgers never let get off the bench.  Nothing to brag about.

Edited by Lhorn

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Nahlin disagrees fwiw

Lulz. Regardless of whether these are good offers, they’re backups from our primary targets. Idk if there’s a position I could be less concerned about than WR. We’ll get good talent, but there’s no debating we’re having to move into round 2 or identify and recruiting talent at the position.

Edit: I just watched part of his hudl, including the first play ... he’s not that good. Nahlin is full of shit lol.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

25 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I'm no HUDL expert, far from it, but Nahlin is definitely seeing something I'm not.

Agree. Is he tearing it up in 7v7 or camps? His tape seems as you’d expect a faster player to play in high school, but will he be a game changer? Probably not.

Edited by I Plead Da Fif

EJ after dark: Update on five-star target; staff back on road

— I’ll have more on five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy in Bevo Nuggets on Monday, but there is no doubt in my mind that the Longhorns are legitimate players here. In fact, McCoy told me USC and Texas are the two schools that will for sure receive official visits this fall. McCoy was blown away on his recent unofficial visit and is developing a close relationship with the UT staff. While USC has the edge right now, Texas can certainly win him over with a big season.

— Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar visited four-star safety Lewis Cine today. It’s been reported that Cine will make an official visit to Texas next month, but that’s not set in stone just yet. With that said, Texas is a top school for Cine at this time. Naivar will visit fellow four-star safety Jalen Catalon on Friday. Catalon is a maybe to make it in for a visit this weekend. We still feel great about UT’s chances with him.

— Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington was on the road today in Georgia and swung by to check in on commit Kenyatta Watson II, who is completely solid to the Longhorns. Washington also stopped by to see recent running back offer Derrian Brown. There isn’t a lot of interest on his side just yet, but don’t be surprised if Texas get him on campus this summer.

— Texas put an offer on the table for 2020 Houston Austin quarterback Malik Hornsby. I’ve been told that Texas will be a big player in his recruitment. His mother really likes the program and would like for him to stay closer to home. Hornsby holds a handful of other major offers from schools like Arkansas, Mississippi State and Texas A&M early on.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bevo said:

Film was just okay. Not real big and didn't seem real shifty and didn't seem to have breakaway speed.

In short...the kind of guy who usually ends up at KSU or Cal or wherever and catches 11 for 173 and 2 scores against us. 

• Like 1