Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

38 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

Strange as in “paying for recruits”, or strange as in “letting recruits dump their load up Candi’s ass in exchange for commitments”?

If Jimbo had any control of who Candi fucked they'd still be married. I think you're misunderstanding who holds the power in that relationship. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Jordan Whittington's brother went on twitter months ago and basically said it. 

Aggy knows this and will use any cheating going on during Jimbo's stay to fire him with cause when he doesn't win.  If he wins then they will go into Jackie Sherrill mode and deny anything happened.  Win-win for aggy.  

Edited by stork642
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

(Scipio Tex) The Nationalization of Recruiting: How Much Should Texas Recruit Out of State?

Reveal hidden contents

A sizable number of Texas football fans believe that the Longhorns need only recruit state of Texas athletes (> 90% or more) to maximize the program, supplementing occasionally with a few legacies, a sprinkling of JUCOs and the random who recruits himself to Texas. Homegrown recruits should certainly form the core of the program, but the perception of a healthy in state vs out of state ratio is skewed by prideful regionalism and a failure to appreciate the level of talent that can be acquired elsewhere. There's also a lack of awareness of the practices of our peer institutions.

Navel-gazing is a bad idea that ignores the current realities of college football. I'd put a healthier number at around 30% or more for out of state athletes. And our talent abundant peers offer us some insight as to why...

How Do Other Talent Abundant Peers Recruit?

Any college coach would give a pinky toe to have Texas as their recruiting base. They'd offer the same to be placed in Florida, Southern California, Georgia or Ohio. Obviously at a primary (or the only) football school in each. The reason is local talent. Unsurprisingly, these five states comprise the Top 5 producers of NFL talent. Conveniently, Texas has six major college football peers anchored in comparable talent enclaves: Florida, Florida State, Miami, USC, Georgia and Ohio State. They're useful, if imperfect, comparators for examining out-of-state vs in-state recruiting emphasis.

I omit Pennsylvania (Penn State), Louisiana (LSU) and Alabama (Saban U) from this analysis, despite abundant talent (the states are ranked 6th-8th in NFL talent) and the fact that each school greatly enhances my argument. Louisiana and Alabama have fantastic top line talent and significantly outperform Texas per capita in NFL players, but there's a volume issue. Like LSU in Louisiana, Penn State is the only Pennsylvania game in town, but again, volume. I had to cut it off somewhere. Besides I don't want to win THAT easily. 

How do the six schools I selected attack out-of-state recruiting? Here's a two year data trend from these schools (and that trend holds beyond two years) with respect to out-of-state vs in-state recruiting. The first number is signed OOS recruits, the second is overall class size, followed by percentages:

Ohio St 14/21, 67% OOS
FSU 12/24, 50% OOS
USC 10/24, 41.7% OOS
Miami 9/24, 37.5% OOS
Georgia 9/25, 36% OOS
Florida 6/23, 26.1% OOS

Total 60/141, 42.6% OOS

Ohio St 21/26, 80.8% OOS
FSU 12/21, 57.1% OOS
Florida 9/19, 47.4% OOS
Georgia 11/26, 42.3% OOS
USC 6/18, 33.3%
Miami 5/23, 21.7%

Total 64/133, 48.1% OOS

The above twelve total classes range in national ranking from #1 to #14, so we're not dealing with anyone totally bombing and queering the data in any direction. Half of the classes were Top 5 or better. Eight of these 12 classes were Top 8 or better and the overall mean was a #6.5 national ranking. This is elite recruiting, by any reasonable standard. 

Ohio State is not a misprint. Ohio State, despite being the only real football option in a populous football mad state that has around 80 active NFL players recruits 74% of its talent from out of state, with an emphasis on Texas and Florida elites. That's unprecedented in Ohio State football history, as you might guess. Urban Meyer could easily recruit more than half of his team from home and still win the Big 10, but he's trying to win titles, not be a regional bully. For the purposes of my argument, this is a dunk from the free throw line. If you don't like my dunks and just want to throw Ohio State out altogether... just because... the overall percentages still sit at 38.3% in 2017 and 40.2% in 2018 for remaining peers.

These are all teams that should be content, at least theoretically, to eat their meals at home. But they like take out. The composition of the classes suggests that they all go after each other pretty hard in addition to adding players from places as disparate as Hawaii, North Carolina, Illinois, Iowa and Texas. Georgia/Florida state crossover recruiting (pitched battles between Georgia, FSU, Florida for the same recruits with Alabama, LSU, Ohio St and Clemson also weighing in) is a well understood phenomenon (and why I argue to Go West) and can influence the numbers, but that doesn't explain the stubbornness to contest across distant state borders when they have many solid in-state options. Nor does it explain USC (probably UT's best pure peer comparator by geography/talent comps) taking 38% of its crop from out of state when the Trojans are almost unchallenged in a football talent hotbed. Or consider that Kirby Smart locked down 2017/2018 Georgia elites with his #1 and #3 nationally ranked recruiting classes while still taking nearly 40% of his class from out of state.

These programs are interested in player distributions. Not state geography. Hyper localism is dead. More than ever, ambitious coaches know where and what talent is available. It also demonstrates the national (or at least super regional) nature of recruiting when locality once reigned. Notre Dame always lived in this world, but we're seeing aggressive out of state recruiting from schools already located in talent enclaves. It's a function of TV, social media, super conferences, expanded analytics staff, easy initial scouting via HUDL, Youtube and ESPN combine testing and easy travel options.

Texas isn't immune from these trends despite protestations to the contrary and our belief that we're a unique special snowflake immune to the laws of the Recruitocosm and football physics. The fortunate few in college football located in talent rich areas are trying to expand their world, not retreat into it. Expand your football universe or be marginalized.

In Part II, I'll dig into the state of Texas, Tom Herman's approach (spoiler: we're recruiting OOS, people) and how Mack Brown skewed Texas fan's understanding of the current reality.

TL;DR 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Aggy knows this and will use any cheating going on during Jimbo's stay to fire him with cause when he doesn't win.  If he wins then they will go into Jackie Sherrill mode and deny anything happened.  Win-win for aggy.  

Lulz. I think it’s the exact opposite. The school gets punished, not the coach, so if aggy fires Jimbo for cause due to cheating, they might as well sanction themselves. Jimbo’s gonna see every dime of that $75 million. 

24 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Lulz. I think it’s the exact opposite. The school gets punished, not the coach, so if aggy fires Jimbo for cause due to cheating, they might as well sanction themselves. Jimbo’s gonna see every dime of that $75 million. 

I was told that I can only get so erect, but apparently that situation is fluid.

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

(Scipio Tex) The Nationalization of Recruiting: How Much Should Texas Recruit Out of State?

Reveal hidden contents

A sizable number of Texas football fans believe that the Longhorns need only recruit state of Texas athletes (> 90% or more) to maximize the program, supplementing occasionally with a few legacies, a sprinkling of JUCOs and the random who recruits himself to Texas. Homegrown recruits should certainly form the core of the program, but the perception of a healthy in state vs out of state ratio is skewed by prideful regionalism and a failure to appreciate the level of talent that can be acquired elsewhere. There's also a lack of awareness of the practices of our peer institutions.

Navel-gazing is a bad idea that ignores the current realities of college football. I'd put a healthier number at around 30% or more for out of state athletes. And our talent abundant peers offer us some insight as to why...

How Do Other Talent Abundant Peers Recruit?

Any college coach would give a pinky toe to have Texas as their recruiting base. They'd offer the same to be placed in Florida, Southern California, Georgia or Ohio. Obviously at a primary (or the only) football school in each. The reason is local talent. Unsurprisingly, these five states comprise the Top 5 producers of NFL talent. Conveniently, Texas has six major college football peers anchored in comparable talent enclaves: Florida, Florida State, Miami, USC, Georgia and Ohio State. They're useful, if imperfect, comparators for examining out-of-state vs in-state recruiting emphasis.

I omit Pennsylvania (Penn State), Louisiana (LSU) and Alabama (Saban U) from this analysis, despite abundant talent (the states are ranked 6th-8th in NFL talent) and the fact that each school greatly enhances my argument. Louisiana and Alabama have fantastic top line talent and significantly outperform Texas per capita in NFL players, but there's a volume issue. Like LSU in Louisiana, Penn State is the only Pennsylvania game in town, but again, volume. I had to cut it off somewhere. Besides I don't want to win THAT easily. 

How do the six schools I selected attack out-of-state recruiting? Here's a two year data trend from these schools (and that trend holds beyond two years) with respect to out-of-state vs in-state recruiting. The first number is signed OOS recruits, the second is overall class size, followed by percentages:

Ohio St 14/21, 67% OOS
FSU 12/24, 50% OOS
USC 10/24, 41.7% OOS
Miami 9/24, 37.5% OOS
Georgia 9/25, 36% OOS
Florida 6/23, 26.1% OOS

Total 60/141, 42.6% OOS

Ohio St 21/26, 80.8% OOS
FSU 12/21, 57.1% OOS
Florida 9/19, 47.4% OOS
Georgia 11/26, 42.3% OOS
USC 6/18, 33.3%
Miami 5/23, 21.7%

Total 64/133, 48.1% OOS

The above twelve total classes range in national ranking from #1 to #14, so we're not dealing with anyone totally bombing and queering the data in any direction. Half of the classes were Top 5 or better. Eight of these 12 classes were Top 8 or better and the overall mean was a #6.5 national ranking. This is elite recruiting, by any reasonable standard. 

Ohio State is not a misprint. Ohio State, despite being the only real football option in a populous football mad state that has around 80 active NFL players recruits 74% of its talent from out of state, with an emphasis on Texas and Florida elites. That's unprecedented in Ohio State football history, as you might guess. Urban Meyer could easily recruit more than half of his team from home and still win the Big 10, but he's trying to win titles, not be a regional bully. For the purposes of my argument, this is a dunk from the free throw line. If you don't like my dunks and just want to throw Ohio State out altogether... just because... the overall percentages still sit at 38.3% in 2017 and 40.2% in 2018 for remaining peers.

These are all teams that should be content, at least theoretically, to eat their meals at home. But they like take out. The composition of the classes suggests that they all go after each other pretty hard in addition to adding players from places as disparate as Hawaii, North Carolina, Illinois, Iowa and Texas. Georgia/Florida state crossover recruiting (pitched battles between Georgia, FSU, Florida for the same recruits with Alabama, LSU, Ohio St and Clemson also weighing in) is a well understood phenomenon (and why I argue to Go West) and can influence the numbers, but that doesn't explain the stubbornness to contest across distant state borders when they have many solid in-state options. Nor does it explain USC (probably UT's best pure peer comparator by geography/talent comps) taking 38% of its crop from out of state when the Trojans are almost unchallenged in a football talent hotbed. Or consider that Kirby Smart locked down 2017/2018 Georgia elites with his #1 and #3 nationally ranked recruiting classes while still taking nearly 40% of his class from out of state.

These programs are interested in player distributions. Not state geography. Hyper localism is dead. More than ever, ambitious coaches know where and what talent is available. It also demonstrates the national (or at least super regional) nature of recruiting when locality once reigned. Notre Dame always lived in this world, but we're seeing aggressive out of state recruiting from schools already located in talent enclaves. It's a function of TV, social media, super conferences, expanded analytics staff, easy initial scouting via HUDL, Youtube and ESPN combine testing and easy travel options.

Texas isn't immune from these trends despite protestations to the contrary and our belief that we're a unique special snowflake immune to the laws of the Recruitocosm and football physics. The fortunate few in college football located in talent rich areas are trying to expand their world, not retreat into it. Expand your football universe or be marginalized.

In Part II, I'll dig into the state of Texas, Tom Herman's approach (spoiler: we're recruiting OOS, people) and how Mack Brown skewed Texas fan's understanding of the current reality.

Interesting

Please post part 2 when you get a chance

13 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

"can't no school...buy a kids heart" 

His top 2 schools were Texas & Aggy.

He choose Texas. I'm pretty sure we know who was trying to buy something

I think it is important that we hold off on getting incredibly high and mighty at this time. The landscape is changing and Texas isn't trapped in a time warp back to 1985. Let things unfold on numerous recruitments. 

• Like 4

(Scipio Tex) Out Of State Recruiting Part 2: The Perils of Parochialism

Before we talk about owning the state of Texas in recruiting, let's define what it really means. Look at a map of the great state.

map-of-texas-cities.gif

Ah, the majesty of our beloved state. Drink it in. There is no better novelty ashtray shape known to man. Now draw a line from San Antonio to Galveston. Follow that line up the Louisiana border and take a hard left before the Arkansas border to Dallas. Now connect Dallas south to San Antonio. Color it all in. That rhombus drawn by a 2nd grader comprises less than 20% of the geography of the state and 95% of the football talent. So that's what we mean by recruiting the state, with apologies to the good people of El Paso, Harlingen, Dumas and Buffalo Gap. What we really mean, more precisely, is that UT should recruit a small part of the state and then ignore vast swathes. I'm simply arguing we should do the same out West. Direct flights take us to every city we'd want to target. 

Austin sits on the true Texas recruiting region's central western edge. The best players are frequently 2.5 to 4 hours away by Ford F-150. Yet some fans pretend that a 2 to 3.5 hour direct flight to LA, Phoenix, New Orleans, Las Vegas, or Denver is a bridge too far. No other major college program thinks this way. State borders are artificial constraints to tactical thinking. Written over a talent pool that's variable in total and positional talent from year to year. Many assume that the Top 10 or 50 players in Texas are of similar quality every Fall. They are not. Texas parochialism ignores dramatic positional talent fluctuations from year to year, shifts in competitive landscape (Jimbo, Lincoln Riley, Urban and ESS EEE SEE!) or that some years offer greater character risks or wider proliferations of street agents opinionated 7 on 7 coaches and helpful informal advisors. Sometimes the state's best QB just isn't feeling Texas and second best option would be the #7 guy in California that year. So book that flight. Putting the program in thrall to random fluctuations because TEXAS 4EVER is absolutely foolish.

I think Tom Herman feels similarly. Encouragingly, 13 of Herman's 44 signees (29.5%) were from out of state in the 2017/2018 classes. I expect 2019 to hold or increase that ratio. Why? Because we now know that 2017's class composition wasn't just desperation. Well, some desperation. But Herman's first true class in 2018 - a year where Texas dominated in-state recruiting and took much of what we wanted - featured 8/27 out of state signees. Just under 30%. That's healthy. Win at home, but don't reach at home. About what Kirby Smart is doing at Georgia.

The Dangers of Parochialism

I know the retort to all of this. Didn't Mack Brown win a lot of football games in the 2000s with Texas heavy football rosters? Sure did. Then he lost a lot of games doubling down on that tactic in a changing world. Brown excelled in a world where A&M was irrelevant, SEC encroachment was when a Cajun lost his way on a pirogue, Alabama was going 6-6, Urban Meyer was kicking ass in Utah and not on recruiting trails in Texas and the Big 12 had some modicum of national respect. His success begat more success. Initially fueled by a Heisman winning RB from California. Oh, cruel irony! 

Would you say that's our current environment? No, it is not. Here's how Texas parochialism played out with Mack's recruiting classes between 2007-2013. The classes that formed the core of Longhorn decline.

2007 - 1/24
2008 - 1/20
2009 - 1/20
2010 - 3/25
2011 - 1/21
2012 - 4/28
2013 - 2/17

Look at those numbers. Mack Brown was more of a nativist than Bill The Butcher in Gangs Of New York. Out, Dead Rabbits! Over seven years, Brown signed only 13 OOS players. 8.4% of his recruits. Urban Meyer signed 21 out of state recruits in 2018 alone. Which staff showed more activity if we checked their Fitbits? Encouragingly, Tom Herman has signed 13 OOS players in his last two years. Out of state recruits are no panacea, Texas athletes should be the core, and the argument is simply one of degree. I'm arguing 30%ish. If you're arguing for 50%, I have concerns. If you're arguing for 5%, I have much deeper concerns.

Mack's recruiting class distributions were a symptom as much as a cause (OOS recruiting alacrity is a pretty solid proxy for diagnosing staff complacency) and I'm not suggesting that's its solely or even largely responsible for our decline, but anyone who believes that we can go back to those numbers and maximize in the current environment is misguided. The game changed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

EJ is doing his best to make it obvious without coming out and saying it. I can only imagine how the 247 base took that. I'm sure there's about 100 posters asking EJ what he means by strange.

This was a guarantee to happen as soon as Jimbo was hired. It's how he operated at FSU and why he pulled so many IMG kids.  Go look at the recruitment of Shavar Manuel in 2016. It has "strange" written all over it.

For those of us that don't give two shits about FSU recruiting, please feel free to bring us to speed.

I’m sure every school plays the game but there are certain schools that blatantly cheat above others.  How do you think Ole Miss was getting all these 5 star guys to move to bumfuck Mississippi while their program couldn’t even get to 9 wins.

Look at how a&m pulled random guys last cycle that visited once from OOS.  I do think a&m is paying/cheating on another level.  Knowing the narcissistic prick Herman is, I’m sure it’s eating him up inside that he’s losing these battles.  I’m sure he will lead reporters in a certain direction and at some point we will see reporters drop articles the same way Mack Brown did with Will Lyles.  This will atleast get those aggy fucks to scale back their cheating once the spotlight is on them. Atleast i hope this is what happens.  That or we open up our bank accounts to make it an even playing field.  At this point the ncaa has made it clear they will not police schools.  Every damn sec school is doing it.  Remember when that Florida db recruit (irving?) was going to commit to us but suddenly committed to Auburn and had Snapchat pictures of him holding stacks of cash.  Yeah... 17 year olds don’t have access to that type of money on recruiting visits unless someone is handing it to them.

Edited by victory88

46 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think it is important that we hold off on getting incredibly high and mighty at this time. The landscape is changing and Texas isn't trapped in a time warp back to 1985. Let things unfold on numerous recruitments. 

Basically, aggy has to pay now to get commits, we will wait and pay later.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-wednesday-may-16th/

Reveal hidden contents

– I was able to exchange a few messages with recent 2019 WR offer Mycah Pittman, out of Calabasas (CA).

As Andrew previously noted, Pittman does have some connections with the Longhorn program as UT commit DeGabriel Floyd played on his 7on7 team, as did 2020 QB target, Bryce Young, who has taken three trips to Texas over the past few months and is high on Texas.

Mycah told me he was offered in a phone call with Wide Receivers coach Drew Mehringer. When I asked if Texas would be a program that would get a good long look, he replied “All schools which have given me an opportunity will get a serious look.”

He also mentioned that he is trying to set up a visit to Texas, saying “Im going to try to get out there, it would most likely be an official if it happens.”

When I asked him what his initial thoughts were about Texas, he said “Great program and facilities, and they’ve gotten a lot of recent commits.”

The last question I was able to ask him was if he has a timeline for his commitment or a top list right now, and he replied “I’m basically playing it by feel.”

We will continue to keep you updated on his recruitment. – (Charlie)

– This past weekend, Texas made the top six for 2019 WR, Marcus Washington (St. Louis, MO). Other schools making the top six were Oregon, Ohio State, Missouri, Georgia and FSU.

You haven’t heard much about Washington because he’s a bit out of the area but Texas has been high on Washington for a while. It sounds like they will finally get their chance to get Washington on campus.

Washington tells me he will take an official to Texas on June 19th.

Washington actually reminds me of Garrett Wilson. I’ve seen Washington in person. He’s got the kind of build I like in a wide receiver, a perfect 100 m sprinter build. He’s quick and fast. Comes off the ball hard and low and like Wilson, he has fantastic feet and wins the 50/50 ball.

None of Texas competition here is regional outside of Missouri. They need to win this battle. – (Super K)

– There has been discussion on if East (UT) OT Junior Angilau would enroll at Texas this summer since before he even signed with the Longhorns. The other option is him taking a two-year mission and enrolling at Texas in 2020.

I talked to a source close to him and he told me “He should be enrolling in a few weeks” at Texas and that he’s delaying his mission right now. That would be HUGE news for Texas as Angilau was the highest rated OL signee in the Longhorns 2018 class. He could either play guard or tackle in Austin.

We will keep you up to date in regards to this situation. – (Andrew)

– Last month, 2019 DE, Zach Williams (Little Rock, AR), took an unofficial visit down to Texas and picked up an offer from the Longhorns.

I spoke with Williams’ head coach, coach Maupin, who is someone I’ve known for a while and someone who has seen quite a few great players come through his program.

In terms of size, Maupin tells me that Williams is a true 6’4 and is a lean 220 lbs with a frame that will comfortably carry 260 lbs in college. On film you see the size and the first step, but you also see the violent hands, and the ability to redirect and chase down the quarterback. Coach Maupin says, “he can do it all on the field and off the field he’s a great great kid. Solid kid and solid family”.

Williams also has the pedigree. He’s the son of former Arkansas linebacker Rickey Williams, who played during the old SWC days. When coach Maupin said that, I probably had the same reaction you’re having right now…he’s going to Arkansas.

Coach Maupin says that is obviously a good possibility given his pedigree and the fact that he’s in-state but says it’s by no means a forgone conclusion, “Dad wants to support Zach. Arkansas is a big draw and they were first to offer. But Dad is letting him go through the process and his dad has even been surprised on the visits. He’s been surprised by other schools and what’s all out there”.

In fact Zach has already been on unofficial visits to Alabama, Florida, TCU, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Texas, and Mississippi State, just to name a few. But the Texas visit was the most recent and it seems the Horns made a heck of an impression.

“He came back from Texas and said they’re number one. I was shocked. He loved it. He said it was like Bama but more modern. He loved the facilities and coach Giles”.

Coach Maupin says he doesn’t believe living in Arkansas is a big draw for Zach, but knows that Arkansas is still a tough out given Zach’s many connections to the program. But Texas did what they needed to do to give themselves a punchers chance in this one.

Next up for Williams, he will take an unofficial visit to Oklahoma. – (Super K)

Great news about Angilau. 

41 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hamm backed off of saying Shepherd will commit at the Opening. Whoops.

I think the only people who ever said he was an aggy lean have been Perroni and toilet bitch. TFB feel pretty confident hes a Texas lean

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I’m sure every school plays the game but there are certain schools that blatantly cheat above others.  How do you think Ole Miss was getting all these 5 star guys to move to bumfuck Mississippi while their program couldn’t even get to 9 wins.

Look at how a&m pulled random guys last cycle that visited once from OOS.  I do think a&m is paying/cheating on another level.  Knowing the narcissistic prick Herman is, I’m sure it’s eating him up inside that he’s losing these battles.  I’m sure he will lead reporters in a certain direction and at some point we will see reporters drop articles the same way Mack Brown did with Will Lyles.  This will atleast get those aggy fucks to scale back their cheating once the spotlight is on them. Atleast i hope this is what happens.  That or we open up our bank accounts to make it an even playing field.  At this point the ncaa has made it clear they will not police schools.  Every damn sec school is doing it.  Remember when that Florida db recruit (irving?) was going to commit to us but suddenly committed to Auburn and had Snapchat pictures of him holding stacks of cash.  Yeah... 17 year olds don’t have access to that type of money on recruiting visits unless someone is handing it to them.

Auburn had a coach on staff that had been recruiting him for multiple years. He probably got paid something, but they had relationships in their favor too.

Edited by Atticus

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

probably the most comforting thing i've read on this forum since it fell out of its momma's pussy.

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

(Scipio Tex) Out Of State Recruiting Part 2: The Perils of Parochialism

Reveal hidden contents

Before we talk about owning the state of Texas in recruiting, let's define what it really means. Look at a map of the great state.

map-of-texas-cities.gif

Ah, the majesty of our beloved state. Drink it in. There is no better novelty ashtray shape known to man. Now draw a line from San Antonio to Galveston. Follow that line up the Louisiana border and take a hard left before the Arkansas border to Dallas. Now connect Dallas south to San Antonio. Color it all in. That rhombus drawn by a 2nd grader comprises less than 20% of the geography of the state and 95% of the football talent. So that's what we mean by recruiting the state, with apologies to the good people of El Paso, Harlingen, Dumas and Buffalo Gap. What we really mean, more precisely, is that UT should recruit a small part of the state and then ignore vast swathes. I'm simply arguing we should do the same out West. Direct flights take us to every city we'd want to target. 

Austin sits on the true Texas recruiting region's central western edge. The best players are frequently 2.5 to 4 hours away by Ford F-150. Yet some fans pretend that a 2 to 3.5 hour direct flight to LA, Phoenix, New Orleans, Las Vegas, or Denver is a bridge too far. No other major college program thinks this way. State borders are artificial constraints to tactical thinking. Written over a talent pool that's variable in total and positional talent from year to year. Many assume that the Top 10 or 50 players in Texas are of similar quality every Fall. They are not. Texas parochialism ignores dramatic positional talent fluctuations from year to year, shifts in competitive landscape (Jimbo, Lincoln Riley, Urban and ESS EEE SEE!) or that some years offer greater character risks or wider proliferations of street agents opinionated 7 on 7 coaches and helpful informal advisors. Sometimes the state's best QB just isn't feeling Texas and second best option would be the #7 guy in California that year. So book that flight. Putting the program in thrall to random fluctuations because TEXAS 4EVER is absolutely foolish.

I think Tom Herman feels similarly. Encouragingly, 13 of Herman's 44 signees (29.5%) were from out of state in the 2017/2018 classes. I expect 2019 to hold or increase that ratio. Why? Because we now know that 2017's class composition wasn't just desperation. Well, some desperation. But Herman's first true class in 2018 - a year where Texas dominated in-state recruiting and took much of what we wanted - featured 8/27 out of state signees. Just under 30%. That's healthy. Win at home, but don't reach at home. About what Kirby Smart is doing at Georgia.

The Dangers of Parochialism

I know the retort to all of this. Didn't Mack Brown win a lot of football games in the 2000s with Texas heavy football rosters? Sure did. Then he lost a lot of games doubling down on that tactic in a changing world. Brown excelled in a world where A&M was irrelevant, SEC encroachment was when a Cajun lost his way on a pirogue, Alabama was going 6-6, Urban Meyer was kicking ass in Utah and not on recruiting trails in Texas and the Big 12 had some modicum of national respect. His success begat more success. Initially fueled by a Heisman winning RB from California. Oh, cruel irony! 

Would you say that's our current environment? No, it is not. Here's how Texas parochialism played out with Mack's recruiting classes between 2007-2013. The classes that formed the core of Longhorn decline.

2007 - 1/24
2008 - 1/20
2009 - 1/20
2010 - 3/25
2011 - 1/21
2012 - 4/28
2013 - 2/17

Look at those numbers. Mack Brown was more of a nativist than Bill The Butcher in Gangs Of New York. Out, Dead Rabbits! Over seven years, Brown signed only 13 OOS players. 8.4% of his recruits. Urban Meyer signed 21 out of state recruits in 2018 alone. Which staff showed more activity if we checked their Fitbits? Encouragingly, Tom Herman has signed 13 OOS players in his last two years. Out of state recruits are no panacea, Texas athletes should be the core, and the argument is simply one of degree. I'm arguing 30%ish. If you're arguing for 50%, I have concerns. If you're arguing for 5%, I have much deeper concerns.

Mack's recruiting class distributions were a symptom as much as a cause (OOS recruiting alacrity is a pretty solid proxy for diagnosing staff complacency) and I'm not suggesting that's its solely or even largely responsible for our decline, but anyone who believes that we can go back to those numbers and maximize in the current environment is misguided. The game changed.

Now draw a line from San Antonio to Galveston. Follow that line up the Louisiana border and take a hard left before the Arkansas border to Dallas. Now connect Dallas south to San Antonio. Color it all in. That rhombus drawn by a 2nd grader comprises less than 20% of the geography of the state and 95% of the football talent. So that's what we mean by recruiting the state, with apologies to the good people of El Paso, Harlingen, Dumas and Buffalo Gap. What we really mean, more precisely, is that UT should recruit a small part of the state and then ignore vast swathes.

nm

Edited by UncleBuck

It's just so curious that dudes who have been all-Texas and on-campus multiple times go to College Station once and shut things down. It must be the allure of College Station, Texas and that small-town college life that these kids are drawn to. RIght? That's gotta be it.
Have you heard of Jimbo fuckin Fisher?

He's a ring bearer, and never mind that kissy kissy over in ATX also has a ring, and a more recent one. POWER MOVES son, you don't know nuthin bout that.

EJ is doing his best to make it obvious without coming out and saying it. I can only imagine how the 247 base took that. I'm sure there's about 100 posters asking EJ what he means by strange.
This was a guarantee to happen as soon as Jimbo was hired. It's how he operated at FSU and why he pulled so many IMG kids.  Go look at the recruitment of Shavar Manuel in 2016. It has "strange" written all over it.

Jimbo went on record promising the "#1 or #2 class this cycle", coaches just don't do that..

And every time he's asked why he made the move from FSU he always mentions the support of "everybody" at aggy...after the facilities and all that. It doesn't a rocket micro-surgeon to figure out what's going on. They're pretty open and matter of fact about it on texaggy..

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

It's just so curious that dudes who have been all-Texas and on-campus multiple times go to College Station once and shut things down. It must be the allure of College Station, Texas and that small-town college life that these kids are drawn to. RIght? That's gotta be it.

This has a different feel than the Leal situation. We went from being the clear leader for Banks' services, to not even getting a visit - a bigger swing than what happened with Leal or Wilson. And Nahlin has been insistent that the staff didn't back off. Plus Washington is not Giles or Mehringer, he's a phenomenal recruiter. 

It doesn't add up...

Brewster was openly campaigning for a job on Herman's staff and also pushing for an offer from Lincoln Riley. He had no interest in going to College Station with Fisher. He's going to leave and follow the first competitive he fields. I think there's a strong chance it could happen before signing day unless there's some sort of buy-out that is prohibitive. I'd be interested in knowing what he's getting paid, because I guess the dumbasses in CS could be paying him so far above average that he's trapped. Whatever the realities of his contract, the guy hates it there and he can't wait to leave. I cannot wait to hear the bawling from aggies and recruits when he waves the deuce and heads out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Brewster was openly campaigning for a job on Herman's staff and also pushing for an offer from Lincoln Riley. He had no interest in going to College Station with Fisher. He's going to leave and follow the first competitive he fields. I think there's a strong chance it could happen before signing day unless there's some sort of buy-out that is prohibitive. I'd be interested in knowing what he's getting paid, because I guess the dumbasses in CS could be paying him so far above average that he's trapped. Whatever the realities of his contract, the guy hates it there and he can't wait to leave. I cannot wait to hear the bawling from aggies and recruits when he waves the deuce and heads out.

But he said The Station is lit!!!!!  #IDon'tBeliveYouGIF

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Not sure if true but I saw on one Agroid site that Brewster is getting 1.3M a year. That's nuts.