Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

E.J. Holland: Four-star OL Javonne Shepherd on Texas, decision timeline

Javonne Shepherd is getting worn-out with the recruiting process. But the four-star offensive lineman out of Houston North Forest isn’t ready to make a decision any time soon and wants to carefully evaluate all of his options. “It’s overwhelming and stressful,” Shepherd said. “It’s crazy. I’m probably going to switch my commitment date. It probably won’t be in June anymore. I want to move it back. I want to take all my officials and then do it.”

Shepherd recently made an unofficial visit to Texas for the Longhorns’ annual spring game and enjoyed his time on campus. “It was a great spring game,” Shepherd said. “I know a couple of the players, so it was great to see them. The hotels are nice in Austin (laughs). The offense was smooth and fast, and I’m basically a smooth athlete.” Shepherd had an opportunity to watch the offensive line closely under new position coach Herb Hand and was impressed with what he saw.

Shepherd and Hand are in regular contact, and the two have quickly formed a strong relationship. Shepherd said Hand’s personality appeals to him the most. “I think Coach Hand is helping UT make a great program,” Shepherd said. “He has a strong bond with his players. With him, it’s more than football. He cares about you as a person and everything like that.” Along with Texas, Shepherd said he is strongly considering Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU, Georgia and Texas A&M. At 6-foot-6, 319 pounds, Shepherd is ranked as the No. 24 offensive tackle in the country and No. 31 overall prospect in the state, according to 247Sports Composite.

Once again, no ratings bump for Kenyatta Watson >_<

(Barton Simmons) Rankings update: The Opening Dallas delivers new five-stars

The Opening Dallas Regional was one of the most talented regional Nike events on record. 17 prospects earned invites to The Opening Finals, an all-time record. More have been invited since. At an event like that, it has taken some time to sort through the results and the film to make the necessary rankings updates but we’re ready.

The Five-Star moves
Garrett Wilson, WR, Austin (Texas) Lake Travis – Simply put, there may not be a safer bet in this class than Wilson. The Ohio State commit was already on the cusp of five-star status based on film and overall body of work and he did enough to clear the final hurdle in person. He reminds us of Amon-Ra St. Brown from the 2018 class as a guy that just looks like a phenom at wide receiver.

Derek Stingley, CB, Baton Rouge (La.) Dunham School – Our boots on the ground in Louisiana have been screaming about Stingley to us but it’s hard to feel confident on him based on highlight film given the really bad competition level. But seeing him in person, Stingley backed up the local hype. He tested off the charts with a 4.3 40 and a 40+ vertical but his coverage instincts were there too. LSU is the current Crystal Ball favorite.

Daxton Hill, S, Tulsa (Okla.) Booker T. Washington – As impressive athletically as any prospect in this class, Hill tested off the charts and is the fastest prospect in the country to date on the camp circuit but he’s another one that was more than just an athlete. He was outstanding in drills, his film shows natural cover ability and physicality and elite twitch. Hill, the younger brother of Oklahoma State RB Justice Hill, has a top six of Clemson, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Alabama, Ohio State and Michigan.

Top100 moves
Nathan Pickering, Seminary (Miss.) High School – Pickering inched closer to five-star status with his performance in Dallas. Already a top 50 recruit, he jumped even higher and is probably a strong performance in pads at The Opening Finals away from his fifth star. Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Mississippi State and Ole Miss are all chasing.

Jeffery Carter, CB Aledo (Texas) High School – If you’re looking for a guy to buy stock on, Carter is a good option. He’s got some five-star traits with a 4.3 40 yard dash, a 10.5 100 meter dash, good size at cornerback and outstanding film. Oregon is the current Crystal Ball favorite and he’s now rankd inside the national Top 50.

Nana Osafo-Mensah, DE, Fort Worth (Texas) Nolan Catholic – Osafo-Mensah is days away from a commitment with Notre Dame taking a commanding lead on the 247Sports Crystal Ball but whoever lands him is getting a really talented, fluid edge rusher. He dominated in Dallas and has the size at 6-4, 231 to continue to develop into a dominant college pass-rusher. He’s now inside the Top100.

Diwun Black, LB, Forest (Miss.) HS – An Ole Miss commit, Black was previously rated as an athlete who could project to a number of positions. We’ve moved him to inside linebacker which at 6-3.5 and 219 pounds is a great spot for him. He still moves like a safety at that size in coverage and he eats up ground accelerating to the football. He’s now ranked inside the Top100.

Stacey Wilkins, OT, Camden (Ark.) Fairview – There aren’t many offensive tackles in the country with the upside of Wilkins. He’s nearly 6-7, he’s an athletic 270 and he’s got some strong pedigree as the cousin of former Arkansas first rounder Shawn Andrews. He’s moved up to a 94 rating from outside the four-star range. Oklahoma and Texas are among the favorites.

EJ Ndoma-Ogar, OG, Allen (Texas) HS – If Wilkins has one of the highest ceilings on the offensive line in the 2019 class, Ndoma-Ogar has one of the highest floors. Against a talented defensive line group, Ndoma-Ogar was the most consistent player at the event and has been outstanding throughout the spring. The Oklahoma commit is up to a 94 rating and inside the Top100.

Top247 moves
Puka Nacua, WR, Oregon (Utah) HS – To me, this is one of the players nationally that is being underappreciated. He ran 4.57 at nearly 6-2, 195 pounds. He shows outstanding ball skills and natural hands. He’s got impressive basketball clips that showcase athleticism and he’s landed offers from some of the major powers out West. Look for his profile to rise. He’s up to a borderline Top100 prospect from outside the Top247.

Demani Richardson, S, Waxahachie (Texas) HS – Richardson has climbed inside the Top200 on 247Sports in spite of what was a pretty average camp showing. There’s nothing average about his film though which is what we went back to. The Texas A&M commit will have a chance to rise even more at The Opening Finals.

Branson Bragg, C, Crandall (Texas) HS – This is what you want a center to look like. He’s got great size, he’s tough and physical, he’s a state champion shot putter, he’s got great grades and test scores, he’s an accomplished pianist and he had a great camp. The guy is just a winner and a high achiever. He’s now a Top247 member.

9 hours ago, golfclap said:

you motherfuckers are upset about a TexAgs report that they lead for a player? Those fucking guys know less than EJ AND are the biggest fucking homers on the fucking planet. Of course they lead for Wright via TexAgs. They still lead for Brandon Jones, Keondre Coburn, Moro Ojomo, DeMarvion Overshown, T'Vondre Sweat, Joseph Ossai ....  hell, I think they lead for Malik Jefferson as well. Still. 

you get the fucking picture. 

Alright, I'm off the ledge now. But you're sure they lead for Malik? 

8 hours ago, Scholz said:

ND has a lot to offer.  It's a quality school and he and his parents are education minded which is a good thing.  Still, I think a business degree from UT is very comparable with a ND degree probably carrying a little more weight if he's wanting to go work on Wall St (in Texas a UT degree is just as good or better).  But that's a win/win decision for him.  Can't fault him.

Man I work day to day with a ND PhD Chem Eng. Also with a bunch of aggys, unfortunately. I’ll never take a back seat to any of them, or all of them combined. Anyone who wants to argue merits of the ND vs UT education is baseless. 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, b_p said:

Man I work day to day with a ND PhD Chem Eng. Also with a bunch of aggys, unfortunately. I’ll never take a back seat to any of them, or all of them combined. Anyone who wants to argue merits of the ND vs UT education is baseless. 

Fuck the business angle.

In the Catholic community all over the country, it is a much bigger deal to have gone to Notre Dame than ANYWHERE else, with the possible exception of the Big 3 Ivy schools and probably not even Stanford. (Some Boston College families will disagree.)

I don't understand why people keep trying to compare Wall Street/ Investment Banking/ Engineering...

Pull heads out of asses and realize that for these Catholics who have come to the U.S., Notre Dame carries a cache that magazine rankings can't compete with.

Get The Fuck Over It!

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Fuck the business angle.

In the Catholic community all over the country, it is a much bigger deal to have gone to Notre Dame than ANYWHERE else, with the possible exception of the Big 3 Ivy schools and probably not even Stanford. (Some Boston College families will disagree.)

I don't understand why people keep trying to compare Wall Street/ Investment Banking/ Engineering...

Pull heads out of asses and realize that for these Catholics who have come to the U.S., Notre Dame carries a cache that magazine rankings can't compete with.

Get The Fuck Over It!

Guess we should have told NaNa's Dad that before he went off and graduated from UC Davis and Stanford med.  NaNa didn't grow up with a poster of Rudy on his wall, he grew up loving and watching Stanford.  That was his dream school but they never offered. 

• Like 1