Texas recruiting notes 2019

19 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Kid looks physical. Wonder if that's a pure RB offer or if he falls into the "athlete" category. Might have some DB in him, and certainly looks to be a solid return man.

Like he could replace Jake Smith.

Like he could replace Jake Smith.

Chuck Norris and Arnie Swarzenegger both in their prime couldn't replace Jake Smith.

Allegedly. Hudl vids won't play on my shitty tablet, and I can't be arsed to dust off my laptop or fire up my ancient desktop pc..

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

That's good because after Tre Watson, there is only 1 ship open right now.

I never worry about scholarship numbers. They always work themselves out.  Especially in the next 60-70 days. 

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Not sure if already posted, but TFB said the most recent "shh" from Carrington was from an out of state recruit, and could announce either at the end of May or beginning of June.

Well, that is obviously Smith. It fits his timeline and is the only OOS that I can think of that is close to shutting it down.

EJ after dark: Updates on five-star targets

— There is still a possibility that five-star Conroe Oak Ridge offensive lineman Tyler Johnson makes his decision before the season. But now we are hearing that Johnson is considering pushing his decision back all the way until National Signing Day. Johnson wants to enjoy the process and make all his official visits. But it’s not time to panic. We still feel good about where the Longhorns stand.

— Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton and inside wide receivers coach Corby Meekins recently stopped by Galena Park North Shore to see five-star running back Zachary Evans. We are still hearing that Texas is the team to beat for Evans early on. He’s been to UT on multiple occasions and has a great relationship with Drayton. But he doesn’t plan on making an early decision.

— Texas fans may have received a pleasant surprise when elite Missouri wide receiver Marcus Washington named the Longhorns as one of his final six schools. Texas had success with fellow Saint Louis native Ayodele Adeoye last year, and Drayton has ties in the state. Texas Recruiting Director Bryan Carrington has also been working hard on Washington. It wouldn’t be surprising to see UT host him for an official visit ahead of his scheduled August decision.

— Texas is looking at some potential offer options at wide receiver in 2019 and is evaluating a handful of prospects at the position. We’ve mentioned Langston Anderson as a name to know. Another one is Melissa product Kennedy Lewis. The three-star prospect is a big wide out with offers from Arizona State, Baylor, California, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and others.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 2

(Scipio Tex) The Western Advantage: Is Texas Finally Optimizing Out of State Recruiting?

In the mid-19th century, "Go West, Young Man" was advice popularized by Horace Greeley that urged enterprising youth to seek their fortunes by taking a left and building a country along the way. In 2018, "Go West, For Young Athletes" is my advice for an ambitious Texas staff rebuilding a proud program. As a (monotonous) advocate of the premise that the West is best when seeking the best talent/relative competition ratio for out-of-state recruiting (you may have stumbled across the occasional post or thirty I've written about the topic), I think we may have a head man that sees the same recruiting landscape that I do. Perhaps it took a guy raised in Simi Valley, CA to get it, but the market inefficiencies were always there. 

There are promising indicators in Tom Herman's second year that the staff has realized the relatively untapped opportunity that demography, talent, local competition and the positive perception of Texas Football afford in places like California and the West Coast satellites of Arizona, Utah, Colorado and Nevada. Obligatory caveat: Texas should always take care of business at home first and foremost. But how the Longhorns choose to recruit of state, where they focus, and the enthusiasm with which they attack the project is telling. Out of state recruiting is more than just inking a few Longhorn legacies and leveraging the occasional connection. It's about defining the universe of football athletes beyond what the state of Texas provides, analyzing the competitive landscape, and getting after it. 

Mack Brown favored home grown athletes to a fault. He did it early in his career to curry necessary favor with Texas high school coaches, later because his complacent staff preferred to ink a lesser local rather than hop a Southwest flight. But Mack was killin' himself out in Florida! Charlie Strong tried to kill it with some of the Florida talent that elevated him at Louisville, but that plan showed the same risk/reward comprehension that marked his managerial processes here. The Florida Five became the Miami One. 

The early returns on Tom Herman are encouraging. Because the first necessary component for optimal Western recruiting is that Herman will recruit out of state at all. In 2018, Texas inked players hailing from Florida, Utah, Oklahoma, California, Australia and Louisiana. That this occurred when Texas had its pick of the 2018 in-state crop is quite encouraging. In 2019, the sledding in-state has proven more challenging, so it shouldn't surprise that 3 of our current 6 commits are OOS. Two from the West. Expect more. At least one quarter of the final class. Given what I know about our irons in the fire, we're not going to rest in the West. 

To be clear, entire state or regional characterizations are too broad. I'm mostly talking about a geographical fraction of California (SoCal: San Diego to Greater LA; perhaps the Bay Area) and a few Western cities flush with favorable demographics and burgeoning high school football: Phoenix, Denver, Salt Lake City and Las Vegas. The cultural sell of Austin, UT academics, easy direct flights for family, and a sense that Texas represents the synthesis between big-time football and a familiar cultural feel is a siren's song. We just have to sing it. 

You can't recruit the states of Georgia or Florida without tripping over a dozen high level programs a stone's throw from the recruit's porch, battling for their program lives. Try remaining the head coach at Auburn if you can't win battles in Georgia. Try remaining the head coach at FSU if you can't win battles in the Florida Panhandle. Then add in all of the regional superpower competitors (Clemson, Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Miami, Florida) and national interlopers (Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame) seeking Southeastern talent and the field becomes a competitive mess fraught with deep loyalties, intrigue and hometown pressures. These schools can all sell tradition, titles, big-time football environments, superior conferences, regional pride. Several aren't averse to dropping off an envelope. 

The comparatively mercenary, transplant heavy West is ripe. There are four major football programs in the entire state of California: Cal, UCLA, Stanford, USC. Stanford narrowcasts, Cal and UCLA battle administrative and cultural malaise and USC has as many haters as supporters. Not to mention scholarship limits. As for the Western satellites, would you rather recruit against Arizona State or Alabama? Utah or Georgia? Colorado or Florida? 

Are the football riches as deep as the Southeast? No. But they're better defined, easier to access and the competitive environment is comparatively modest. The state of Texas produced 28 players in the last NFL draft. California produced 27. Florida produced 36. Georgia had 14. Arizona, Utah, Colorado and Nevada (read: the short direct flight from Austin to the major population center in each) combined for 14. Where would you rather fight your battles? I suspect Herman's done that math and we'll be fighting more of those battles in Phoenix and SoCal than anywhere else in 2019 and beyond.

• Like 2

Same drivel they always have.

Spoiler

I'm sure y'all have watched Hop's interview with elite WR Dylan Wright. A&M certainly did a number on he and his dad yesterday. 

I've been told by a source today that if Wright were to make a decision right now, it'd be Texas A&M. That's certainly a huge jump from where things were a week or two ago, and things can certainly still change course. However, it sounds like Jimbo's pitch is certainly getting through to the Wright camp and has pushed the Ags into a very strong position.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

From what I can gather, TexAgs is reporting that A&M now leads for Dylan Wright. Anyone have that report?

Stupid sip feg... who doesnt we lead fo.. sec and jimbo. He a big boy that wants to play next to Rodgers and make twin towers offense in the sec. Plus Jimbo pro offense is gonna make Nicky better than that Ponder. Nicky will be a top 5 pick book it. 

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Is Wright in our top 3-4 right now?

We seem to have prioritized him over a number of others this cycle. Whether ongoing interest is due simply to talent or is also a product of some other receivers (Henderson, Wilson, etc.) having drifted away I don't know. What I do know is that Wright can play. A good comparison, I believe, is Tommy Bush with actual skills.  

8 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

We seem to have prioritized him over a number of others this cycle. Whether ongoing interest is due simply to talent or is also a product of some other receivers (Henderson, Wilson, etc.) having drifted away I don't know. What I do know is that Wright can play. A good comparison, I believe, is Tommy Bush with actual skills.  

I think it's obvious the staff thinks he's a great talent and has made him a priority since the start of the cycle. I'd be willing to bet Katfid's entire life savings that the staff has a much higher grade on him than the recruiting services do right now. Even when we seemed to be in a good spot with Wilson and Higgins, the staff still made Wright a priority, so I don't think it has to do with where we stand on other prospects.

I've read Wright is similarly skeptical of our offense and ability to get the ball to the wide receivers. Apparently he's good friends with Wilson, and whatever poison Urban and Co infected Wilson with has seemed to spread to Wright. While Wilson seems to have made a firm decision, it doesn't seem like Wright has shut us down. 

It's been said a million times, but we need to improve on offense and show that we can pass the ball. If we do, we'll win games and win recruits. If we don't, we probably fucked.

5 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I think it's obvious the staff thinks he's a great talent and has made him a priority since the start of the cycle. I'd be willing to bet Katfid's entire life savings that the staff has a much higher grade on him than the recruiting services do right now. Even when we seemed to be in a good spot with Wilson and Higgins, the staff still made Wright a priority, so I don't think it has to do with where we stand on other prospects.

That's a bad move. 

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

you motherfuckers are upset about a TexAgs report that they lead for a player? Those fucking guys know less than EJ AND are the biggest fucking homers on the fucking planet. Of course they lead for Wright via TexAgs. They still lead for Brandon Jones, Keondre Coburn, Moro Ojomo, DeMarvion Overshown, T'Vondre Sweat, Joseph Ossai ....  hell, I think they lead for Malik Jefferson as well. Still. 

you get the fucking picture. 

No, just satyanash.

• Like 1