Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, Cashdaddyblumpkins said:

“I’m still interested and want to visit again,” Green said. “I’m Texas bred and Texas fed. They love Texas boys, and I love Texas, too. The main thing I want to see from Texas is the offensive line just dog people this season.

boy, that would be nice, wouldn’t it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

boy, that would be nice, wouldn’t it?

Well, only if the dogs aren't poodles or dachsunds. At times this past season, Vahe in pass pro reminded me of nothing so much as a hound dog sleeping under the porch.

Edited by Walden Ponderer
I blame autocorrect. That, or my allergy meds.

4 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Well, only if the dogs aren't poodles or dachsunds. At times this past season, Vahe in pass pro reminded me of nothing so much as a hound dog sleeping under the porch.

Don't harsh my buzz, dude. I developed a new drink with my wife - The Good Cider and Shock Top Belgian White - 50/50. We call it the Good Shocker.

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Where does UT stand with Elijah Higgins?

Are we still in the mix for Elijah Higgins? Or is it an Ohio State and Stanford battle? How big of impact does Garrett Wilson have on him? -- KPendleton

EJ: Higgins and Wilson are friends, so I’m sure Ohio State has become a bigger player. Stanford is tough for a kid like Higgins to pass up, and Florida is a quiet player -- most of his family lives there. With all this said, yes, Texas remains in the mix. But his interest has obviously cooled a bit. The Longhorns need to make a strong push this month and get him back on campus. 

Mike: I think Texas will always have a special spot for him, but he’s got many more opportunities in front of him.  He’s a very smart kid, and I think that Stanford will always be intriguing to him.  He’s the type of kid who will take a while to analyze his recruitment and make a very well-educated decision.

Who are we more likely to get at as a pass rushing OLB/WDE -- Rian Davis or Zach Williams? -- Racer X

EJ: Right now, I would say Williams. We heard from a source close to his recruitment that the Longhorns are very serious players and will likely get an official visit at some point in the summer or fall. Davis is also considering making an official visit to Texas and obviously has ties to the state but from talking to him, it appears SEC schools like Alabama and Georgia have the edge. 

Mike: Zach Williams looks like the guy at this point.  If Texas can get Davis on campus, they give themselves a better chance, but Williams is showing a ton of interest early and can be sold on scheme fit.

If Anthony Cook and Derek Stingley were in the same class, who would be the better prospect? -- HookEm4200

EJ: Both are elite level prospects in their own right. I think Stingley would probably be ranked higher. He’s faster and has a bigger build than Cook did at this point last year. I would consider both five-star guys.  

Mike: I think they are different types of guys, and I’d give Stingley the edge on size and athletic ability.  Both are really proficient technically, but they play their games in different styles.

How will the guys who are takes at athlete affect the number of players taken at other positions in the 2019 class? -- vinnyC40

EJ: It really won’t. This Texas staff lives by the philosophy of taking the best player available. Let’s say Texas lands a guy like Makiya Tongue, for example. His preference is to play wide receiver, and the Longhorns will happily let him start off there. That wouldn’t necessarily affect numbers. Texas knows its getting a guy that could excel at the position or move elsewhere. They think highly enough of him, Bru McCoy, etc. to value their commitments and not let it alter their recruiting strategy. As I say every year, numbers will work themselves out.

Mike: As EJ said, I think they are taking guys with the flexibility to move to different positions and who are fluid in where they project. They’ve done a good job juggling numbers and anticipating future needs, so I wouldn’t have any worries.

Have you ever covered a recruit that you were legit scared of? Or maybe not scared of but left thinking "that recruit is a scary dude." -- TimmyLonghorn21

EJ: Haha. When I first started covering recruiting, I thought LaQuvionte Gonzalez was a scary dude. He wasn’t the biggest dude, but he had a bunch of tattoos and was from South Dallas. I didn’t interview him much since I covered SMU, but he just had a scary look. This class, I would go with Marcel Brooks. He’s a monster on the field, and I’ve seen him put some of his 7v7 teammates in check. It’s scary. 

Mike: Yeah I’ve seen Quiv up close, and I’d agree. Malcolm Epps was originally a kid I had that thought about, but once we got to know him we figured out he was just messing with most people.

Is Kardell Thomas (LSU commit) a non-factor for Texas at this time? -- HD4evr

EJ: I think that ship has sailed. Thomas told us last month that he would consider making an official visit, but it appears the Longhorns are focusing on more realistic possibilities. Flipping Thomas from LSU is going to be nearly impossible for any school 

Mike: It seems like Texas has moved on at this point.  He seems firmly committed, and Texas is looking at other options.

4 hours ago, TrojanPrincess said:

OU has always drawn from the part of California - like the Fresno area, referred to as "Fresneck" or guys with character issues.  Parts of California no one wants to live.

You'll be competing directly with us...smart kids that want a good education and a class program.  Okies lose on both.

I love you.

I actually ran into Jake Smith at Fashion Square mall in Scottsdale, pretty amazing shopping area by the way. He looks older than me. I’m 22. Dick’s sporting goods was honoring local HS football teams. Will Fuller of the Texans was there for some reason. 

I actually ran into Jake Smith at Fashion Square mall in Scottsdale, pretty amazing shopping area by the way. He looks older than me. I’m 22. Dick’s sporting goods was honoring local HS football teams. Will Fuller of the Texans was there for some reason. 

Dicks doesn’t support the second amendment. Fuck em.
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 29

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

Don't harsh my buzz, dude. I developed a new drink with my wife - The Good Cider and Shock Top Belgian White - 50/50. We call it the Good Shocker.

That's not a new drink dude - it's called an Angry Moon, you're just switching out the cider and white Belgian.  After you're done mixing your pussy with your wife's, mix some Guinness with the Belgian and have a black and blue or you can mix the cider with Guinness to make a Snakebite.

30 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Sounds like we're in first, but SC will get their shot. We just have to avoid a literal come-to-Jesus moment like Nana and ND.

We get the final visit and I think this is the shh that Carrington tweeted out the other night 

There's a reason I said Jake Smith and Garrett Wilson should be the top 2 WRs on our board back when we we first offered him and Wilson wasn't even close to being ranked #1 WR in Texas (despite deserving it). Sucks we missed out on Garrett, but Jake Smith will be a true answer to many of our prayers. My call last year was on the glory of Cam Rising back when he committed to OU and said I would sing Herman's praises if he stole him (after we offered). Didn't think he'd actually pull it off, but he did. Let's hope my call is as good as last year's.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

We had a Canadian JuCo DL on campus

http://www.hudl.com/profile/2870102/Olivier-CharlesPierre

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-recruiting/international/montreal/collge-de-montral1/olivier-charles-pierre

This site lists him as 32 years old. I’m really hoping that’s a typo...

It also features and inspiring monologue on his hopes and dreams.

I from Canada and I have been playing football since I was ten years old.For an canadian its very difficult to be scout be american college but I have always aspired to play at the collegiate level.I also know that playing in NCAA is a once in a lifetime opportunity that could change my whole life.I am always working to improve my skills as well as training to get bigger, faster and stronger. I  try to lead by example while also encouraging my teammates. I am very coachable and strive to be one of the hardest working players and one of the hardest working recruits you’ll find.In the classroom, I study hard and maintain a high GPA. I also volunteer at local youth camps and am currently a member of our student government.I want to attend a college where I can push myself in the classroom and on the football field. I am open to all options and want to ultimately find the right college match at the highest level of competition possible. I hope to become a great role model to all my peers and make my parents proud.

3 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

Peter Mpagi at George Ranch, will play at Texas if offered. My gf (no pics scoundrels) has taught him for 3 years. 

Hes told her multiple times that he wants to be at Texas. He’s an EE. I’ll work on this more. 

Damn,  he had to retake her class two times?  Sounds dumb. Do not want. 

Edited by stork642