Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

How can UT be expected to pull in players from Lake Travis and Bowie? Both of those schools have huge anti-UT bias. Also I hear that OSU and Stanford are paying the players and the coaches and the other students. And UT didn't want either of them anyways, so who cares. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

How can UT be expected to pull in players from Lake Travis and Bowie? Both of those schools have huge anti-UT bias. Also I hear that OSU and Stanford are paying the players and the coaches and the other students. And UT didn't want either of them anyways, so who cares. 

Your schtick was funny about 450 posts ago. 

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The ole' Drew Mehringer special. 

While I know it's fun to blame Mehringer this one is a lot more about Higgins not enjoying Tom Herman's brand of honesty. Some guys respond well and some do not. Matters became worse because he expected/wanted a lot more attention after the Wilson commitment and is not happy with where he is in the pecking order. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

While I know it's fun to blame Mehringer this one is a lot more about Higgins not enjoying Tom Herman's brand of honesty. Some guys respond well and some do not. Matters became worse because he expected/wanted a lot more attention after the Wilson commitment and is not happy with where he is in the pecking order. 

Darn pre-Madonna WRs

59 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

“Probably not what they would prefer”

yeah, no shit 

That's some big time reporting right there.  

I never would have known how aggy felt about the situation without his insight to the situation.  

Buckle up for what will probably be one of the wildest recruiting years we have in a long time. The high rated class of last year, combined with new coaches at OU and A&M, combined with what should be a decent year on the field will probably create some wild swings in momentum.

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Buckle up for what will probably be one of the wildest recruiting years we have in a long time. The high rated class of last year, combined with new coaches at OU and A&M, combined with what should be a decent year on the field will probably create some wild swings in momentum.

"Will"?  I've already got motion sickness from the swings of the last month (plus a sore finger from scrolling through the worry trolls, giles haters, mom jokes and cuck talk on this thread)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

No shit, Sherlock 

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have to tell you, I honestly laughed out loud when I read that Chris Steele post. What in the ever living fuck is happening in this cycle? They must feel pretty damned excited about landing multiple targets ahead of where they ranked him.

“they” as in the UT staff?

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

where have you heard this?

Also, from Greg Biggins of 247:

"Pittman recently put out a top five but Texas is a school he really likes a lot. He has been waiting on this offer and he plans to take an unofficial visit in the next month or so. I think his top three at the moment are Florida, Nebraska and Oregon but UT will be right up there and if the visit goes well, they'll have a real shot."

Jeff Howe: DeMarvin Leal talks A&M pledge, Texas visit, upcoming trips

CONVERSE, Texas — The recruitment of DeMarvin Leal was hotly contested before he committed to Texas A&M. Since Leal gave the Aggies his commitment, however, it seems like the programs interested in recruiting the 247Sports Composite four-star prospect have ratcheted up their pursuit of the Converse Judson defensive linemen. While Texas and Alabama have remained in hot pursuit of Leal, the No. 72 overall prospect in the country isn’t sweating the recruiting process. Leal took an official visit to Texas last weekend and is headed to Alabama on June 15, with plans to use one of his two remaining visits on a trip to Clemson (no date set), but he’s checking out other schools while remaining a member of Jimbo Fisher’s first full-cycle recruiting haul.

“It’s been great,” Leal said of the recruiting process. “Just being committed to A&M is really good. Being able to talk to the people who are alumni and players has been really good.” Leal committed to the Aggies on April 18, which came on the heels of his official visit to College Station. It was the total package Texas A&M offered, Leal said, that had him sure it was time to pull the trigger. “The program as a whole just made me feel like that was the best place for me,” Leal said. “The fan base and all the alumni, it was just perfect.”

The Aggies are recruiting the 6-foot-4-inch, 270-pound Leal as a strongside defensive end in a base four-man front for defensive coordinator Mike Elko. Terry Price, the defensive line coach for the Aggies, and tight ends coach Tim Brewster are responsible for ensuring Leal is on campus in January when he graduates from Judson and becomes a college student for the start of the spring semester. “Coach Brewster is funny,” Leal said. “He’s a good, loving dude. He cares about me. He talks to my mom a lot, and he’s just a good dude. Coach Price, he’s probably one of the best defensive end coaches in the NCAA right now. Just having a relationship with him is pretty good.”

In a world where percentages matter, Leal offered up a number on how firm his commitment is to the Aggies at this time. “I’d say 100%,” Leal said. “I’m going on these officials just to be able to say I went through that process, and that I’ve been able to have that fun. I don’t think there’s a way to get me to switch up,” he added. “I don’t think that would be possible.”

Whether it’s possible, Tom Herman and the Longhorns are going to give it their all to try to flip Leal from their former Big 12 rivals. Leal’s official visit to the Forty Acres included a trip to the JMBLYA music festival where hip-hop artists J. Cole, Migos and T.I. were the headliners and an outing on the lake on what was a picturesque weekend in the capital city. “It was beautiful,” Leal said of his visit. “That was my first concert I’ve ever been to, so it was pretty nice. I went on a boat. It was a good experience.”

The other ace the Longhorns had up their sleeve was making 2018 five-star safety signee Caden Sterns Leal’s host for the weekend. Sterns, a Cibolo Steele product who enrolled at Texas in January, and Judson are district rivals, and the two have known each other for a while, Leal said, which had Sterns not treating his hosting responsibilities like a sales pitch. “He just kept it real with me,” Leal said.

Defensive coordinator Todd Orlando and defensive line coach Oscar Giles are recruiting Leal to be a 4i end in Orlando’s base three-man front. However, the Longhorns are recruiting linemen with body types similar to Leal in order to convert from a three-down look to a four-down look on the fly. Along with fitting into the defense, Leal said his relationship with the Texas coaching staff is one he enjoys having. “I’d talk to them all day long if I could,” Leal said. “It’s just that relationship that we all have.”

Next month’s visit to Alabama is one to watch as the Crimson Tide appear to think highly of Leal. Alabama special teams coordinator Jeff Banks was at Judson’s practice on Thursday afternoon to watch Leal in action, and he’s flattered by Nick Saban and Co. targeting him. “It just means I’m a priority to them,” Leal said. “It’s just a blessing.” There’s nothing in particular Leal is hoping to see on his visit to Tuscaloosa. He’s just looking for his third official visit to be a good experience like his first two—College Station and Austin respectively—have been. “The things I’ve seen at Texas and Texas A&M—good environment, fanbase, alumni,” Leal said.

As far as Clemson is concerned, Leal admitted that it’s hard to ignore how many defensive linemen Dabo Swinney has sent off to the NFL. Additionally, the Tigers are one program Leal has admired from afar and wants to get a look on the inside to see what the 2016 national champions are all about. “I just heard that their culture is pretty good,” Leal said. “I’ve never seen a culture like that before. If I could go out there and experience that, that would be great.”

1 minute ago, futureman said:

so we weren’t really going after him?

Who the hell knows? That's part of why I laughed. They've not been pushing for a near term visit in a while, but not being part of a top 8 means they've basically blown each other off as far as I'm concerned.

Steele is a safety in college. Maybe they're really thinking they're in great shape for their top 3 safety targets in Catalon, Adimora, and Cine or something. Obviously Richardson was probably the number 1 target, but I'm talking about the guys they're currently after. I'm spitballing. I haven't asked about DB at all lately, nor have I read anything compelling me to believe that any entity posting online has a fucking clue what the staff is doing right now with its roster priorities at DB. I'm starting to get curious.

7 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The optimist in me says "So there's a chance?!"

The pessimist in me (who knows Catholic Notre Dame families) says "He's having a little fun with the process and/or just trying to get as much use out of the gloves as he can before he hangs them up/gives them to a friend."

The realist in me says "We'll most probably know his unwavering final decision in 9 days."

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

"Pittman recently put out a top five but Texas is a school he really likes a lot. He has been waiting on this offer and he plans to take an unofficial visit in the next month or so. I think his top three at the moment are Florida, Nebraska and Oregon but UT will be right up there and if the visit goes well, they'll have a real shot."

Hmm. This kid plays 7on7 with DeGabriel Floyd I think.

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I watched his Hudl... which is like staying at Holiday Inn Express...

He seems to make tough catches, is more than willing to block, he seems to actually run routes that require steps/fakes/timing... At 6' even and 195, he appears to have a body ready for the college game. He didn't seem to have college/pro level breakaway speed, but rather 4.6-ish, but good hands and good concentration on the ball when in traffic his junior year (didn't watch his sophomore tape).

Would be happy to have the guy.

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Yep. Premium Sports, they visited Austin earlier this year:

Bryce Young, QB

DeGabriel Floyd, LB

Max Williams, CB

Josh Delgado, WR

Jordan Patterson, WR

Josiah Hawkins, WR/CB

Braedin Huffman-Dixon, WR

Mycah Pittman, WR

Ralen Goforth, OLB

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have to tell you, I honestly laughed out loud when I read that Chris Steele post. What in the ever living fuck is happening in this cycle? They must feel pretty damned excited about landing multiple targets ahead of where they ranked him.

I'm not in the least bit concerned with db or s recruiting that is absolutely the least of our worries 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeadSalamander said:

"Will"?  I've already got motion sickness from the swings of the last month (plus a sore finger from scrolling through the worry trolls, giles haters, mom jokes and cuck talk on this thread)

That’s the recipe for 1000 pages ... just go with it.