Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Code red, this is not a drill: 

Blair Angulo CB'ed Jake Smith to Texas: https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Jake-Smith-at-Notre-Dame-Preparatory-201381/CurrentExpertPredictions

Whatever you guys do, do not alert @TrojanPrincess to this news. It could very well shatter her worldview.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It seems like Pac-12 Region kids aren't excited about playing the ESPN Late Game in front of half empty stadiums. 

They much prefer 11am games in front of 10 frozen Kansans that forgot it wasn't basketball season

Edited by texifornia

4 hours ago, golfclap said:

While I know it's fun to blame Mehringer this one is a lot more about Higgins not enjoying Tom Herman's brand of honesty. Some guys respond well and some do not. Matters became worse because he expected/wanted a lot more attention after the Wilson commitment and is not happy with where he is in the pecking order. 

I don’t know if this resonated with either, but we are the only school that can’t use the “get away from home for your college experience” play. 

21 hours ago, utfan87 said:

Irrelevant and tcu will be in that top 3

10 hours ago, utfan87 said:

Wouldn't be the first time. Kids have had us in their top lists without offers before 

Steele is our other corner. I think we are going to slow play the banks recruitment and see where Steele goes. Watson and steele are both better than banks. I'm not sure banks is worth taking an extra db.  

Eh I watched his film he looks like he lacks instincts or he hasn't been coached up very well. Not reading the ball well on the snap, but he's got great ball skills def a boundary safety. 

You sure you're not a $9.95er?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Smith is not a Wilson replacement. We offered him back in December and their skill sets are not identical. Higgins even less so.

Smith rushed for over 1,000 yards last year.  Might be someone we can line up in the backfield occasionally, jet-sweeps, ect.

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Gunnell to Zona is looking more likely. CBs coming in and Aggy mods basically conceding. 

I can understand not wanting to rot in Thestation or baton rouge with the ogre but i would think the kid has bettrr options that Zona.  Hell go to Arky

Just now, Post Oak said:

I can understand not wanting to rot in Thestation or baton rouge with the ogre but i would think the kid has bettrr options that Zona.  Hell go to Arky

Did you seriously just say Fayetteville is a better option than Tucson? Arizona is better at everything except rah rah football atmosphere and # of Ozark mutants in the stands.

• Like 4

Just now, Post Oak said:

I think many on this board are greatly exaggerating Arky Chad's recruiting prowess. 

Arkansas writers expressed their concerns with Morris' recruiting skills when he was hired. Just because he hired Traylor doesn't mean Arky Chad is going to dominant his regional rivals. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think many on this board are greatly exaggerating Arky Chad's recruiting prowess. 

Arkansas writers expressed their concerns with Morris' recruiting skills when he was hired. Just because he hired Traylor doesn't mean Arky Chad is going to dominant his regional rivals. 

So you're saying Jalen Catalon is a lock and we're gonna pull Zach Williams out of Arky Chad's backyard? I dig it, Bill. I dig it.

Maybe not dominate, but kids in Traylors prime hunting grounds (northeast Texas) already give piggy consideration simply because of proximity, some of them are closer to fayettnam than Austin. Traylor will do some damage, but it'll likely be more at aggys expense than ours.

11 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

So you're saying Jalen Catalon is a lock and we're gonna pull Zach Williams out of Arky Chad's backyard? I dig it, Bill. I dig it.

Wilkins is a OU lean. While I'll agree Southern Arkansas hasn't always been kind to Piggy, it's still in state. To use an analogy, I think we all get pretty pissed when we lose a kid from Beaumont to LSU. 

The fact that Zach Williams is strongly considering Texas doesn't speak well to Arky Chad or his staff's ability. The kid is a legacy with an early Arkansas offer. 

I think Arky Chad received some unwarranted hype/worry from Texas boards when he brought Traylor with him to Arkansas. I think he's a good coach, and he evaluates well. I have my doubts if he can recruit at a high level. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis