Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

59 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

Peter Mpagi at George Ranch, will play at Texas if offered. My gf (no pics scoundrels) has taught him for 3 years. 

Hes told her multiple times that he wants to be at Texas. He’s an EE. I’ll work on this more. 

Nebraska, Washington, and Indiana just offered in the last couple of days.

1 hour ago, theaveragejon said:

Peter Mpagi at George Ranch, will play at Texas if offered. My gf (no pics scoundrels) has taught him for 3 years. 

Hes told her multiple times that he wants to be at Texas. He’s an EE. I’ll work on this more. 

They'll down vote you for no pics, but good intel anyway. 

Damn ... a Canadian Juco DL?  How freakin' random is that?  What's next, a one-armed Ukrainian deep snapper?  A situational punter from Bora Bora who is currently on a Jehovas Witness mission but will have eligibility in 2022?

You know your staff is literally leaving no stone unturned when they are checking out a Canadian Juco DL. 

2 hours ago, theaveragejon said:

Don't tweet at recruits!

3 hours ago, theaveragejon said:

I like him as a project. I assume we’ll offer him in October, right after Giles finishes buttfucking 3-4 efforts on higher priority targets. 

All the positive comments about Jake Smith's HUDL broke me down.  I had to watch the HUDL.

Good grief.  Smith is a take, lol.  Yea, I'm pretty sure Smith is a take.

One play that spun my head was the one where there was a backward pass, that hit the ground - live ball - and Smith had the presence of mind to pick up the ball and run, oh ... like 85 years for a TD.

Jake Smith is an outrageously talented HS football player.  Insane.

Smith was running away from those D boys - even when the D had the angle, didn't matter, TD, lol. Sick.

For those who haven't seen it, -> Jake Smith HUDL

15 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Any word on if Bragg came by or is going to after he throws at state this weekend?

Per Wells:

After winning the 4A state shot put gold, Branson Bragg won’t be able to swing by the coaches offices. But his parents did. 

“My mom, stepdad and head coach have all been over there at some point today,” said Bragg. 

I can see Bragg visiting UT again this summer. Texas continues to build here and looks good.

4 minutes ago, XOVERX said:

All the positive comments about Jake Smith's HUDL broke me down.  I had to watch the HUDL.

One play that spun my head was the one where there was a backward pass, that hit the ground - live ball - and Smith had the presence of mind to pick up the ball and run, oh ... like 85 years for a TD.

Smith was running away from those D boys - even when the D had the angle, didn't matter, TD, lol. Sick.

He is the next Vai Sikahema. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, XOVERX said:

Yeah it’s pretty impressive film. He has another gear he hits that is very clear to see in those clips. 

I would love to see some receiver block like at 1:25. Wow. 

14 minutes ago, XOVERX said:

15 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Yeah it’s pretty impressive film. He has another gear he hits that is very clear to see in those clips. 

It's not just that he has another gear. It is how fast he goes from getting the ball in his hands to getting to that other gear. It's like a relay sprinter getting the baton from his teammate. He gets it and just takes off.

3 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Word on the street is that Garrett Wilson committed to Urban because he didn’t want to have to be back up to Jake Smith for three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That and he was scared of looking silly during practices with Foster, Jamison, Cook, and Sterns roaming the secondary..

I had no idea shout “out” was a track and field event! How does it work?
"I'd like to thank my parents for conceiving and giving birth to me"...and then from there list everyone they've ever come in contact with (including Kumar at the 7/11 who doesn't ask for i.d.) for helping them get where they are today.

4 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, DeAngelloBeige said:
I had no idea shout “out” was a track and field event! How does it work?

"I'd like to thank my parents for conceiving and giving birth to me"...and then from there list everyone they've ever come in contact with (including Kumar at the 7/11 who doesn't ask for i.d.) for helping them get where they are today.

Kumar was probably a doctor back home, so maybe Kumar helped him with a math or science problem.

22 hours ago, TexMexBuddha said:

One thing not touched upon is the difference in accessibility to information for more than rudimentary evaluation. HUDL did not exist in the MB days. I mean, how many could reasonably expect access to tape from a California athlete even 5 years ago? Near costless access to information on all levels makes recruiting a lot less dependent on (or limited by) regional specialization and networking. It cuts both ways too. Jake Smith sitting at home has a lot more opportunities to evaluate the fit at a place like Texas before taking an OV.

The who-you-know is certainly important, as evidenced by Strong's reach into Florida (and Louisville ['thanks for Poona']), Beck's ties to AZ and Herman's to CA. The growth of the camps and 7-on-7 clearly contribute as well, but yeah, this should be the new norm for us to get the best talent available.

Right. I talked about this on 4th and 5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Butch Had Not said:

Blah, All he does is catch touchdowns.

One of the great moments of my life as a fan growing up was watching Buddy Ryan punch Kevin Gilbride on the sidelines of a prime time Oilers game and then listening to the commentators attempt to make sense of the whole thing. Purely bizarre shit. That sequence has to be on Youtube somewhere. I always fantasized about climbing into the press box and doing that to Greg Davis. Or just throwing him from the upper deck. 

• Like 2

Kumar was probably a doctor back home, so maybe Kumar helped him with a math or science problem.
More likely owns the 7/11 making far more money than anything in the math/science fields, and doesn't care about American kids drinking a little beer (especially when he's making money)