Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Wow. Major bullet...no atomic bomb dodged with this kid.

18 years seems a bit steep, no? I know nothing about the law.

F that!!!!  You stick a gun in someones face to take something that isnt yours.... you dont give a f about people.  Have fun in prison!

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Wow. Major bullet...no, atomic bomb...dodged with this kid.

18 years seems a bit steep, no? I know nothing about the law.

Aggravated robbery is a dreaded “3g” offense meaning he’ll only be eligible for parole after he’s served nine years. Real years. No credit for working or trying to act right 

42 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Aggravated robbery is a dreaded “3g” offense meaning he’ll only be eligible for parole after he’s served nine years. Real years. No credit for working or trying to act right 

Can't he just take a redshirt year?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Remember this guy?

I can't remember but it seems like he wanted to come here or his dad wanted him to come here,  or the other way around?  

Wonder if things would have been different if he did come to Austin?

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Surprise Surprise....just like Chris Parr back in the day. Bellmead is an absolute shit hole 

Im trying to remember someone who got out of there.  Mario Kinsey but i think he ended up in trouble at Kansas

Maybe Glenn Jones but that was 20 plus years ago so im a little foggy

Itll be interesting to see in Brandon Benson can hang in there.  Also the TE went to Bama

4 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Looks like Roschon still has some problems with his base and transferring his weight from his back foot to his front every time he throws. His feet were a little too close to each other there and he had times where his throws were all arm because he's not transferring his weight.  He tends to throw better on the run because he naturally shifts his weight forward on the run, but you don't always see him do it in the pocket.  He improved on this from his sophomore year film to his junior, but it looks like he still has a little ways to go.  Thankfully, he'll get time in the program to work on that before he has to see the field.  If he can get his mechanics all cleaned up, he'll be a special player. 

Elbow/arm slot are a little low as well.   Fixing those things takes an average arm and makes it a decent arm.

2 hours ago, Maker Bayfield said:

siap

Per TFB

One of Texas’ Top #LB Targets is Wekiva (FL) #OLB Rian Davis Davis is from Florida and is playing his senior year there.

Davis actually played his first three years of HS football in the Houston area, and he’s very open to returning for college.

Davis took his first official visit to Louisville last week, and has set his Texas official visit.

He will be in Austin June 15th-17th.

He is also very high on Georgia. Davis originally planned to commit this summer, but that likely won’t happen now, as he wants to get some other official visits in before he makes the final decision.

Rian Davis is a certified badass at LB. We really need to try and make that happen.

6 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

How many moms do you have?

Too easy, like your mom. Enough of mom talk, though. Rain Davis has been fantastic at camps. If I had my choice I would forget Gbenda and bring in Davis, Tongue and McCoy and let the latter 2 start out at whatever position they want. And it wouldn’t surprise me if Davis outgrew linebacker and became a B Backer.

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Too easy, like your mom. Enough of mom talk, though. Rain Davis has been fantastic at camps. If I had my choice I would forget Gbenda and bring in Davis, Tongue and McCoy and let the latter 2 start out at whatever position they want. And it wouldn’t surprise me if Davis outgrew linebacker and became a B Backer.

Oh if you had your choice? If you had your choice would you also “let” bru mccoy come to Texas? Youd take the superior prospect over the inferior one? Bold move, Cotton. 

Its not like Davis is getting the heisman from the staff. We want him desperately and hes well above gbenda on their board. 

• Like 3

It seems to me that Gbenda was one of our top targets. And I’m not a fan. He has been productive and has great instincts but he is small and not a great athlete. I was a little disappointed when it seemed he was close to committing. For me he is a late take if we wiff on our top choices. Look at the JUCO and the athletic two position guys and Davis as a LB/B Backer. 

Edited by Bevo

It seems to me that Gbenda was one of our top targets. And I’m not a fan. He has been productive and has great instincts but he is small and not a great athlete. I was a little disappointed when it seemed he was close to committing. For me he is a late take if we wiff on our top choices. Look at the JUCO and the athletic two position guys and Davis as a LB/B Backer. 

Edited by Bevo

32 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Lulz. So beyond what Sydney Carton already pointed out, you would forego a Rover/Mack prospect so you could take a B-backer, in this hypothetical world where we can just get Bru McCoy out of thin air but we’re not allowed to take 4 LB commits?

E.J. Holland: Tom Herman, Texas making Dallas a recruiting priority

Nearly half of last year’s historic recruiting haul for Texas hailed from the Houston-area. From Anthony Cook to BJ Foster to Jalen Green and everyone in between, there was no debate — if you won Houston, you won the state of Texas last cycle. And that’s exactly what the Longhorns did as they finished with the No. 3 class in the nation. But Texas head coach Tom Herman knows this cycle is a little different and will continue to be moving forward. After all, Dallas-Fort Worth is known as one of the true recruiting hotbeds in the country, and Texas is increasing its recruiting efforts in the area.

“It was an interesting year last year because of how many great players were in the Houston-area that we got in early on and ended up getting committed and signed,” Herman said. “It was not the same in Dallas. I think the only signee in that class from Dallas was Rafiti Ghirmai. I would expect that to be more of an anomaly than a regularity based on the history of the metroplex.”

Of the Top 20 players in the state in the 2019 recruiting class, more than half are from D-FW, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. Half of the Top 20 in prospects in the 2020 recruiting class are also D-FW natives. Herman made it clear that Texas, which hosted a joint camp with SMU in Dallas over the weekend, has ‘unbelievable relationships’ in the metroplex and is making the area a priority moving forward.

“It’s as good of a football playing city as there is in the United States,” Herman said. “Obviously, it’s Dallas comma TX. Being the state school, it’s incredibly important for us to keep as many great players in the Dallas-area home at the University of Texas.” Texas does not have a commit from D-FW in the 2019 class just yet, but the Longhorns are in on several recruits, including four-star wide receiver Dylan Wright and four-star defensive backs Jalen Catalon and Lewis Cine.

The Stampede: How UT evaluates DL recruits, satellite camp notes

Oscar Giles has one of the toughest jobs on the Texas staff. As the defensive line coach, Giles must identify prospects that are not as far along from a development standpoint as other positions. And that can be a daunting task on the recruiting trail. This summer’s round of camps could yield some new names on the board up front. So what does Giles, who coached at this weekend’s East Texas and Dallas satellite camps, look for in potential recruits?

“The biggest thing for us is the movement,” Giles said. “They don’t have pads on, so you’re not able to see the physical side of it. But you just look at movement, change of direction and if a kid competes. If you do it 100 miles per hour, that tells me and our staff that you’re coachable.” Giles added that he takes a similar approach when evaluating defensive line prospects on tape. “It goes back to movement,” Giles said. “With Coach (Todd) Orlando, his defense is built on speed. The size does matter, but the speed is more important, so we’re looking at speed and change of direction.”

Giles had a big close to the 2018 cycle as he helped the Longhorns secure signatures from Keondre Coburn, Moro Ojomo Daniel Carson, Michael Williams and Joseph Ossai despite a bleak outlook at the position just a few months prior to signing day. While there is only one defensive line commit this cycle so far, Texas is on several under-the-radar prospects. And if there is one thing that Giles can do extremely well, it’s develop potential.

During his first coaching stint at UT, Giles was responsible for shaping guys like Brian Orakpo and Sergio Kindle into All-Americans and guys like Henry Melton into NFL draft picks. As Giles put it, it’s more about development when it comes to recruiting defensive linemen than it is finding the highest rated recruit.

“Having played at the University of Texas, I take a lot of pride in that,” Giles said. “I’m looking for guys that have that same kind of pride about themselves. There are a lot of things that you find out by asking questions and finding out about kids. The tape is only ¼ of it. There is the academic side, the character side and the pride and passion he has for the game. The more you find out about a kid, the more you find out if he’s a fit. It doesn’t matter if he’s a three-star or a two-star. It has to be in here (points to heart). We have to continue to find that as coaches.” (Holland)

Summer camp season is here. The Longhorns took part in four satellite camps over the weekend as they hit Saint Louis, Boca Raton, Marshall and Dallas. Here are five takeaways from this weekend’s action.

1. St. Louis — Texas kicked off the satellite camps season by making its way down to Saint Louis. The Longhorns are working extremely hard to cultivate the area after landing Daniel Carson and Ayodele Adeoye last cycle. I’ve been told by a source close to the program that Texas sees Saint Louis as an untapped recruiting ground and feels the kids there are loyal and fits for the program. Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton has ties to coaches in the area, and Texas Recruiting Director Bryan Carrington has been able to relate to a lot of kids from Saint Louis. Expect Texas to continue to hit Saint Louis hard under this staff.

2. East Texas — Texas pulled in DeMarvion Overshown and Keaontay Ingram from East Texas last cycle, but this is a down year in the area. Still, the Longhorns want to continue to establish relationships and have a strong presence in what is normally a hotbed for talent. I spoke to Marshall head coach Claude Mathis, who had this to say about UT’s recruiting efforts in East Texas: “I think they do a great job. I see them all the time. They are always here. They are thick in East Texas. Coach (Derek) Warehime always stops by, and we talk a lot. They used to do the same at Houston, so they just do a great job out here.”

3. Florida — Charlie Strong had strong ties in Florida and was able to land a few prospects from the Sunshine State. And the Longhorns want to continue to reel in talent from one of the country’s true powerhouse states under Tom Herman. When I went down to Florida earlier this offseason, I spoke to a number of trainers and coaches that told me the door was open for the Longhorns to pluck top talent. They are in the mix for Florida natives like Rian Davis and Trey Sanders, and Stan Drayton and Todd Orlando have made stops in the state on several occasions. It wouldn’t be surprising to see UT land one or two guys from Florid each cycle.

4. Dallas — Last recruiting cycle was extremely Houston heavy, but the tide is turning as Dallas is once again a recruiting hotbed this cycle and beyond. Tom Herman made it clear to me that Dallas is a priority and that the staff has great connections in the area. He expects Texas to find more recruiting success in the metroplex moving forward and is excited about UT’s efforts in the area. Texas is obviously in on guys like Dylan Wright, Jalen Catalon, Taurean Carter and others. I spoke to several high school coaches and trainers that want to see Texas succeed in Dallas.

5. Camp standouts — Perhaps the recruit that impressed me the most this weekend was rising 2020 tight end Elijah Yelverton. The Bishop Dunne product was great in Dallas and could be one of the nation’s top tight ends next cycle. I feel like Texas is close to offering. If Texas is looking at more in-state wide receivers, it should further evaluate Jefferson’s TQ Jackson. I like him better than both Langston Anderson and Peyton Powell. He has great speed for his size and has been solid every time I’ve seen him. Fast-rising 2020 The Colony athlete Myles Price was really impressive in Dallas and could be a slot candidate for the Longhorns. Obviously, I’m a big fan of South Oak Cliff defensive end Steven Parker. He is committed to Texas Tech but is worth an offer. (Holland)

Dylan Wright has been a priority target for Texas for many months. Langston Anderson is one of the latest Texas offers. Both players have been working with notable wide receiver trainer Margin Hooks. Hooks was an All-Conference receiver at BYU before moving on to an NFL career with the Buccaneers and Dolphins. Now, he focuses his time on development of young prospects. Hooks is responsible for training players such as Charleston Rambo, Lil'Jordan Humphrey, Terrace Marshall and many others.

I caught up with Hooks to get his take on Wright and Anderson from a trainer’s perspective. On Dylan Wright:

“What he does well is he’s a physical presence. He’s big, and he knows it. What we are doing it now is that I want him to show it and use it. I don’t want him to play like he’s a little dude. I want him to play like he’s 6-foot-4, 210 pounds and bench presses 300 pounds and be that on the field. He’s a smart kid. He’s very analytical and visual, and he soaks in a lot of information quickly. One thing I liked about him is that he asked me to run through the drill, so he could see it. To me, that shows that he’s intelligent and he wants to learn. He’s the type of kid who can adjust and adapt. He can run, and he’s big. He has decent footwork, but my job is to polish it so he can play on Saturdays.”

On Langston Anderson:

“Langston is raw. He has all of the intangibles. He’s big, he can jump and he can run. He’s intelligent, but he needs a lot of polish, which he can get because he’s eager. He sees some of the other guys I work with like the Trejan Bridges and Jaylen Hearst. He wants to be like that. He has everything, and now, it’s just about polishing things up on the receiver side.” (Roach)

21 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That’s what I’m saying. And I don’t think he is a long shot. 

All that’s fine and I don’t think you’d get much debate from anyone that he’s a better prospect than Gbenda but why are they being put forth by you as an either/or proposition when they probably won’t even play the same position?

30 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The Stampede: How UT evaluates DL recruits, satellite camp notes

Reveal hidden contents

Oscar Giles has one of the toughest jobs on the Texas staff. As the defensive line coach, Giles must identify prospects that are not as far along from a development standpoint as other positions. And that can be a daunting task on the recruiting trail. This summer’s round of camps could yield some new names on the board up front. So what does Giles, who coached at this weekend’s East Texas and Dallas satellite camps, look for in potential recruits?

“The biggest thing for us is the movement,” Giles said. “They don’t have pads on, so you’re not able to see the physical side of it. But you just look at movement, change of direction and if a kid competes. If you do it 100 miles per hour, that tells me and our staff that you’re coachable.” Giles added that he takes a similar approach when evaluating defensive line prospects on tape. “It goes back to movement,” Giles said. “With Coach (Todd) Orlando, his defense is built on speed. The size does matter, but the speed is more important, so we’re looking at speed and change of direction.”

Giles had a big close to the 2018 cycle as he helped the Longhorns secure signatures from Keondre Coburn, Moro Ojomo Daniel Carson, Michael Williams and Joseph Ossai despite a bleak outlook at the position just a few months prior to signing day. While there is only one defensive line commit this cycle so far, Texas is on several under-the-radar prospects. And if there is one thing that Giles can do extremely well, it’s develop potential.

During his first coaching stint at UT, Giles was responsible for shaping guys like Brian Orakpo and Sergio Kindle into All-Americans and guys like Henry Melton into NFL draft picks. As Giles put it, it’s more about development when it comes to recruiting defensive linemen than it is finding the highest rated recruit.

“Having played at the University of Texas, I take a lot of pride in that,” Giles said. “I’m looking for guys that have that same kind of pride about themselves. There are a lot of things that you find out by asking questions and finding out about kids. The tape is only ¼ of it. There is the academic side, the character side and the pride and passion he has for the game. The more you find out about a kid, the more you find out if he’s a fit. It doesn’t matter if he’s a three-star or a two-star. It has to be in here (points to heart). We have to continue to find that as coaches.” (Holland)

Summer camp season is here. The Longhorns took part in four satellite camps over the weekend as they hit Saint Louis, Boca Raton, Marshall and Dallas. Here are five takeaways from this weekend’s action.

1. St. Louis — Texas kicked off the satellite camps season by making its way down to Saint Louis. The Longhorns are working extremely hard to cultivate the area after landing Daniel Carson and Ayodele Adeoye last cycle. I’ve been told by a source close to the program that Texas sees Saint Louis as an untapped recruiting ground and feels the kids there are loyal and fits for the program. Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton has ties to coaches in the area, and Texas Recruiting Director Bryan Carrington has been able to relate to a lot of kids from Saint Louis. Expect Texas to continue to hit Saint Louis hard under this staff.

2. East Texas — Texas pulled in DeMarvion Overshown and Keaontay Ingram from East Texas last cycle, but this is a down year in the area. Still, the Longhorns want to continue to establish relationships and have a strong presence in what is normally a hotbed for talent. I spoke to Marshall head coach Claude Mathis, who had this to say about UT’s recruiting efforts in East Texas: “I think they do a great job. I see them all the time. They are always here. They are thick in East Texas. Coach (Derek) Warehime always stops by, and we talk a lot. They used to do the same at Houston, so they just do a great job out here.”

3. Florida — Charlie Strong had strong ties in Florida and was able to land a few prospects from the Sunshine State. And the Longhorns want to continue to reel in talent from one of the country’s true powerhouse states under Tom Herman. When I went down to Florida earlier this offseason, I spoke to a number of trainers and coaches that told me the door was open for the Longhorns to pluck top talent. They are in the mix for Florida natives like Rian Davis and Trey Sanders, and Stan Drayton and Todd Orlando have made stops in the state on several occasions. It wouldn’t be surprising to see UT land one or two guys from Florid each cycle.

4. Dallas — Last recruiting cycle was extremely Houston heavy, but the tide is turning as Dallas is once again a recruiting hotbed this cycle and beyond. Tom Herman made it clear to me that Dallas is a priority and that the staff has great connections in the area. He expects Texas to find more recruiting success in the metroplex moving forward and is excited about UT’s efforts in the area. Texas is obviously in on guys like Dylan Wright, Jalen Catalon, Taurean Carter and others. I spoke to several high school coaches and trainers that want to see Texas succeed in Dallas.

5. Camp standouts — Perhaps the recruit that impressed me the most this weekend was rising 2020 tight end Elijah Yelverton. The Bishop Dunne product was great in Dallas and could be one of the nation’s top tight ends next cycle. I feel like Texas is close to offering. If Texas is looking at more in-state wide receivers, it should further evaluate Jefferson’s TQ Jackson. I like him better than both Langston Anderson and Peyton Powell. He has great speed for his size and has been solid every time I’ve seen him. Fast-rising 2020 The Colony athlete Myles Price was really impressive in Dallas and could be a slot candidate for the Longhorns. Obviously, I’m a big fan of South Oak Cliff defensive end Steven Parker. He is committed to Texas Tech but is worth an offer. (Holland)

Dylan Wright has been a priority target for Texas for many months. Langston Anderson is one of the latest Texas offers. Both players have been working with notable wide receiver trainer Margin Hooks. Hooks was an All-Conference receiver at BYU before moving on to an NFL career with the Buccaneers and Dolphins. Now, he focuses his time on development of young prospects. Hooks is responsible for training players such as Charleston Rambo, Lil'Jordan Humphrey, Terrace Marshall and many others.

I caught up with Hooks to get his take on Wright and Anderson from a trainer’s perspective. On Dylan Wright:

“What he does well is he’s a physical presence. He’s big, and he knows it. What we are doing it now is that I want him to show it and use it. I don’t want him to play like he’s a little dude. I want him to play like he’s 6-foot-4, 210 pounds and bench presses 300 pounds and be that on the field. He’s a smart kid. He’s very analytical and visual, and he soaks in a lot of information quickly. One thing I liked about him is that he asked me to run through the drill, so he could see it. To me, that shows that he’s intelligent and he wants to learn. He’s the type of kid who can adjust and adapt. He can run, and he’s big. He has decent footwork, but my job is to polish it so he can play on Saturdays.”

On Langston Anderson:

“Langston is raw. He has all of the intangibles. He’s big, he can jump and he can run. He’s intelligent, but he needs a lot of polish, which he can get because he’s eager. He sees some of the other guys I work with like the Trejan Bridges and Jaylen Hearst. He wants to be like that. He has everything, and now, it’s just about polishing things up on the receiver side.” (Roach)

Boy oh boy that section on Giles should run for a good 5 pages... Unless Satya is trolling 

2 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Boy oh boy that section on Giles should run for a good 5 pages... Unless Satya is trolling 

Rolled my eyes as I read it. Horns247 posters won't care, that forum is chock full of sunshine-pumpers who won't brook any criticism of Giles' recruiting.

Edited by satyanash

29 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Luckily for everyone here I usually ont bother reading 247 articles like that so I will spare everyone here any comments I may have had about the article had I read it.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Laga4 said:

I can't remember but it seems like he wanted to come here or his dad wanted him to come here,  or the other way around?  

Wonder if things would have been different if he did come to Austin?

IIRC.... He initially wanted OU and his dad wanted UT... So they compromised and settled on Baylor. He got his release after Briles got canned. Was supposed to visit campus, but stood up the coaching staff after partying it up in Austin the night before. I might be wrong on a couple of the details, so someone with a better memory is welcome to correct me, but I think that's the gist of it.

3 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

IIRC.... He initially wanted OU and his dad wanted UT... So they compromised and settled on Baylor. He got his release after Briles got canned. Was supposed to visit campus, but stood up the coaching staff after partying it up in Austin the night before. I might be wrong on a couple of the details, so someone with a better memory is welcome to correct me, but I think that's the gist of it.

His dad actually drove him back after he hungover-ly fucked up his UT trip but it was too late. Iirc there was a guy from Waco who played for Baylor or OU that he badly wanted Parrish to get away from and didn't succeed.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

His dad actually drove him back after he hungover-ly fucked up his UT trip but it was too late. Iirc there was a guy from Waco who played for Baylor or OU that he badly wanted Parrish to get away from and didn't succeed.

I'm starting to feel bad for dad