Texas recruiting notes 2019

2 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Haha. What did he say?

His Cricket phone plan sucks, he can't speak coherently but he did make it a point to say "if someone has a problem with me, say it to my face"...typical ex-mediocre fb type shit. They hate TFB, it's pretty clear. It's also pretty clear that TFB has been the best coverage of our fb brand this last 6 months.

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Young Joseph showed up last week at 235 lbs, apparently. He could be a true stud.

While I don't put too much stock into summer reports this early, I thought it was interesting that all of the major sites - TFB, IT, even Wiltfong himself (247) went out of their way to mention Ossai standing out within days of arriving on campus.

I wish Sumlin were still coach at A&M, but at least he left us one final gift on the way out.

10 minutes ago, Goodman said:

His Cricket phone plan sucks, he can't speak coherently but he did make it a point to say "if someone has a problem with me, say it to my face"...typical ex-mediocre fb type shit. They hate TFB, it's pretty clear. It's also pretty clear that TFB has been the best coverage of our fb brand this last 6 months.

IT mods (especially Wells) and some of the posters harbor resentment towards TFB as well. Some of it is perhaps TFB being the rising upstart challenger to the established sites, and some of it is paranoia about them being some sort of OU sleeper agents (since TFB is an offshoot of the OU Braniacs site).

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

IT mods (especially Wells) and some of the posters harbor resentment towards TFB as well. Some of it is perhaps TFB being the rising upstart challenger to the established sites, and some of it is paranoia about them being some sort of OU sleeper agents (since TFB is an offshoot of the OU Braniacs site).

I think it's mainly just that TFB has been sweeping the floor with them and I'm sure they don't like that TFB is the one who produces a lot of the commitment videos. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I think it's mainly just that TFB has been sweeping the floor with them and I'm sure they don't like that TFB is the one who produces a lot of the commitment videos. 

I think this is what it is.  TFB is the only site I pay for.  They were pretty solid last cycle.

You can find me there under the name Will B.  No, no, that's too obvious...it's actually W. Braizer.

• Like 1

The thing about Carter is that Bama is probably the best-equipped to take him because they maximize talent and if he flames out, they can easily replace him with someone of equal or better talent the next cycle (the Bobby Brown situation).

The flip side of that is that Bama, more so than any other team, is most likely to have guys on the board they rate higher than him. They're certainly not going to spend a scholarship on Taurean to get Jeffrey.

Edited by Machinator

7 minutes ago, longhrnfan said:

I'm a big Jeff Howe fan. Is that permitted to be said on Surly? 

I am too, at least when he writes/talks about football. He's been writing more about recruiting lately, which I'm not a huge fan of simply because he's not that plugged in, so he's mostly relying on questionable intel from EJ. 

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The thing about Carter is that Bama is probably the best-equipped to take him because they maximize talent and if he flames out, they can easily replace him with someone of equal or better talent the next cycle (the Bobby Brown situation).

The flip side of that is that Bama, more so than any other team, is most likely to have guys on the board they rate higher than him. They're certainly not going to spend a scholarship on Taurean to get Jeffrey.

I'm not sure we should jump to the assumption that Taurean and Jeffrey are a package deal. I thought it was interesting Tauren is thought to be waiting to see where Jeffrey goes, but I don't think Jeffrey is requiring a spot for Taurean wherever he commits. 

• Like 1

I believe he's had health problems, so I'll let him slide, but Howe isn't the same guy he was 5 years ago. There's too much team news on Horns247; Howe, Chip, and Taylor Estes all cover and write the same thing. The site is brutal in the offseason. Chip and Howe have each written at least a dozen redundant articles on Coach Hand. 

EJ is basically their only recruiting reporter. Roach doesn't do much. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

What's the scouting report and interest level on Caldwell like? His best offers appear to be Oregon, Tech, TCU and Ole Miss - any reason why his rating is so low and why we are so aggressively pursuing?

@golfclap and @UT Lawnghorn are better scouters but from what I can gather:

A) rating is low because he committed to Oregon really early and stopped doing recruiting things until he got the dream UT offer so the analysts pretty much forgot about him

B) We like him because it's a weak year in-state beyond the Dallas Headcase Club (Beason and Carter) and Banks ditched us for aggy. He apparently has a great frame and a higher ceiling than Banks but needs quality coaching/development.

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I believe he's had health problems, so I'll let him slide, but Howe isn't the same guy he was 5 years ago. There's too much team news on Horns247; Howe, Chip, and Taylor Estes all cover and write the same thing. The site is brutal in the offseason. Chip and Howe have each written at least a dozen redundant articles on Coach Hand. 

EJ is basically their only recruiting reporter. Roach doesn't do much. 

Yeah, he had some personal stuff come up. He used to be on the road every week to watch games and visit practices/camps. That was when he was at his best, IMO, but he's said he can't/won't do that anymore.  I still like his football writing a lot, but he clearly has an article quota, which, especially in the offseason, causes him to write some real fluff pieces.  247 is definitely diluting the quality of his work, but they want clicks above all else, mainly because every time you click on a page there it has roughly 15 ads on each page. 

7 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Its important to remember that Howe once said Durham Smythe was the biggest miss of the mack brown era.

People dont forget Jeff

In fairness, even injuried and burried on their depth chart Smythe might be better than any tight end we have had since one legged Blaine Irby. 

1 hour ago, Butch Had Not said:

Great to hear. Anyone else you can share? 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

While I don't put too much stock into summer reports this early, I thought it was interesting that all of the major sites - TFB, IT, even Wiltfong himself (247) went out of their way to mention Ossai standing out within days of arriving on campus.

I wish Sumlin were still coach at A&M, but at least he left us one final gift on the way out.

Anything I relay isn't coming from another board. I'm not on other boards. Just to help you differentiate what bullshit is coming from where. And I'm fairly certain there are times where what anyone is hearing is pure bullshit to drive an agenda, so we're all subject to that victimhood. 

As far as anything else, Ojomo landed at over 270 already. They don't see a bust in the bunch and when coaches are honest, they can almost certainly identify a bust risk within the first 48 hours of check-in. Hell, if you sign guys like Taylor Doyle, Chet Moss, Clint Haney, Dustin Miksch, Gerald Hanson, Antonio Moore, Jason Barron, Lionel Garr, Michael Wilcoxen, Ian Harris, and Trey Graham, you could know you had busts coming in from just reading Hornfans/Shaggy/Surly. 

As we've discussed before, I personally really dig how they're evaluating and approaching recruiting. They're not going to land everyone they want, but they've got good hustle on the back-ups and the senior season developments, Oscar Giles excepted. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They don't see a bust in the bunch and when coaches are honest, they can almost certainly identify a bust risk within the first 48 hours of check-in.

The most significant thing written on this thread. Exceptional news for restocking the roster, and a good sign for Herman's evaluation process. I wasn't worrying this year, but this makes me feel even better. There are so many good players out there. Hopefully Herman's first round went well because of his process.

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I mean, we offered Taylot Doyle in a wheel chair. To say the bust risk was high is an understatement. 

I can't remember if you were on Shaggy at the time, but that was one of the greatest threads in my life when he committed. I was absolutely and unapologetically brutal about the sloth being exhibited and how fucking stupid the whole thing was, and of course there were posters foaming at the mouth to defend Mack Brown, Mac The OL Coach Whose Name I Can't Remember, and Lake Travis. It was the single laziest recruitment in the history of the Mack Brown era and there was zero justification for taking him in February of his JR year while he was in a wheelchair, yet people supported it. They quoted the record and Mack Knows Best and shit. It seems like it was the recruiting period right before the 2010 season when the recruiting chickens began to come home to roost. 

The Garrett Gilbert threads, and Longhorn94's particular efforts associated to them, are probably the best ever though.

• Like 4

I was a lurker back then but I definitely remember the thread. MacWhorter was the slothful coach. The longtime sunshine pumpers on IT back then went to great lengths to defend the OL recruoting which helped set our program back half a decade. 

Edited by Newy25

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I was a lurker back then but I definitely remember the thread. MacWhorter was the slothful coach. The longtime sunshine pumpers on IT back then went to great lengths to defend the OL recruoting which helped set our program back half a decade. 

Only half a decade? We're getting up to a full decade of suck.