Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Damn. There’s a lot of good stuff in there. Michael Knight dropped a legitimate “we’re Texas.” cdt (RIP) defended taking a bunch of commitments at Junior Day because we’d lose them otherwise. 

Also, I guess this is because I didn’t read recruiting boards until the late days of Mack, but I’ve never seen that much deference to coaches. I mean I get that from some people when I don’t like a particular recruit or criticize the coaching decisions sometimes, but holy shit, that was like 70% of the entire thread.

Most of those users don't post anymore, or if they do, they don't frequent the recruiting board. But the few who do retain the same (varying) levels of critical thinking and tendencies that they did back in 2010. Whoda thunk it?

Group think is a dangerous thing.

Damn. There’s a lot of good stuff in there. Michael Knight dropped a legitimate “we’re Texas.” cdt (RIP) defended taking a bunch of commitments at Junior Day because we’d lose them otherwise. 
Also, I guess this is because I didn’t read recruiting boards until the late days of Mack, but I’ve never seen that much deference to coaches. I mean I get that from some people when I don’t like a particular recruit or criticize the coaching decisions sometimes, but holy shit, that was like 70% of the entire thread.

It’s easy to forget that at one point we were pretty good. And at that time we had reason to trust the coaches. ctj gonna come in with a heaping helping of “I told you so”

30 minutes ago, Machinator said:

For people who don't want to read the full thread or give Kevin Morgan additional clicks, here are some of the more interesting/entertaining posts, from just the first two pages:

"ctj, you nor anyone else here can project what this kid will turn out to be half way thru the 11th $#@!ing grade. even if you really believe that you can, can't you find another place or another time to say such a $#@!ty thing about someone's kid?"

"According to ctj, McWhorter was done after last season... at least that's what he kept posting for months on end. On the bull$#@!-o-meter, ctj is scoring just a notch below Ketch."

"I didn't realize that planting ones lips around ctj's johnson was all it took to be surpass Mack and staff in recruiting acumen. I hope for ctj's sake the staff doesnt hear about it, cause I'm not sure I would want Muschamp in line for a refresher course. Its bad enough to trash players on campus for their efforts on the field, but to trash a guy that hasn't played a down for UT is pathetic."

"Just double checked with my brother. Said broken fibula or shattered ankle or broken ankle, etc. Nobody he's with knows for sure.

Taylor was in a wheelchair as of Saturday."

(CTJ) "Then it's just a dumb take at dramatic levels. No reason for it in any way. At least watch the guy recover and produce."

"I've tried to be the contrarian amongst the Debbie-Downers, but even I admit that is questionable to offer the kid while his leg is broken. I'm betting he'll be healed up, and contributing his senior year, but damn..."

"I have to admit that Mack offering a guy in a wheel chair is somewhat metaphorically funny."

"If it's any consolation, he probably will add weight while he is immobilized in his wheelchair. Think positive."

"Medical hardship scholly to Texas? Mack is always pushing the recruiting envelope."

"Mack is always thinking big picture. This is a kid from Lake Travis. Other coaches can talk about "family" and commitment to the players, but Mack lives it. You gotta give the man his artistic license. When Johnny 5-star asks "what if I get injured my senior year in HS?" there is stuff like this"

(guess who) "i think im gonna have to stop reading the recruiting boards before i start believing our program is at the bottom of Div I! with all the negative beliefs re our recruiting, how in the world did we just land the second best recruiting class in the nation? i always thought Mack was known to be the BEST recruiter in the Nation. i guess he is getting old or lazy or tired. did we just finish last in the conference or something? did the Oline of Tanner, Hall and Huey not play on a Big12 championship team? Did they not hold up pretty well against the greatest defense man has ever known? I understand that people can believe one prospect is better than another but hell this is pure lunacy. as long ago as last year (2008), we had a pretty decent o-line. im still not sure what happened over the course of the season to Huey and Snow but damn fellas, even our Oline isnt as bad as you guys are making it out to be. I have seen Doyle play in person. I believe he is quite a bit heavier than his listed weight. I would say he is around 280-290ish. He is a large person with a good frame. He seemed to dominate everyone he played against throughout the season and the playoffs. i dont think he is as soft as you guys are making him out to be. Now, is he the best oline prospect i have ever seen? No. But I do think he is worthy of a scholarship. And no CTJ, that is not because he plays for LT. He looks and plays the part no matter what uniform he is wearing."

(CTJ - this one is a bit eerie) "Unchecked negativism? You haven't read what I've written, then. Yes, I am negative about the OL recruiting, the OL coaching, and the offensive work from the top down, in general. I've asked others that wish to counter the concern with something other than "trust Mack" and the best guys can muster is "go ahead and jump" or something a female would do, like post an emoticon. In regard to the defense, the state of recruiting overall, and the state of the program, I like it. I've been happy with it, and I've bragged on it and defended it many times. We have a better program than anyone else in the country and Brown is a wizard CEO. It's not my problem that your egos are so fragile as it relates to this program that criticism of aspects of the program leads you to anger over the individuals positing those criticisms. This happens, of course, in a fan forum for discussions of that nature, without always posting some type of happy caveat with each criticism that "but I really like the program and all ..." to make the sunshine pumpers feel better. Take up the mantle and offer up some kind of take of why you think we're just A-ok on the OL recruiting and coaching end and stop embarrassing yourself by rubbing your vagina about another poster in public. Provide something worth a $#@!, as "oh, I don't like ctj" is useless. It's not a deterrent. In fact, I enjoy and revel in conflict, and it adds no other value."

(again, guess who) "Isnt this the staff that recruited Trey Allen, Mason Walters, Garret Porter, Thomas Ashcraft, Trey Hopkins, and Dominic Espinosa? any complaints there? were you impressed? i dont see a huge problem with our Oline recruiting. it seems we are getting the best Olinemen in Texas every recruiting year. and fwiw, David Snow was the best also when he came in. He was damn good in 2008. Im not sure what happened in 2009 but I will chalk it up to injuries of some sort as a much more likely cause than the O-line coach suddenly forgot what he was doing in 2009 after putting a pretty good O-line on the field in 2008. In 2008 we had one of the premier pass blocking lines in the nation and it included all the same guys that were on the 2009 line. so instead of making a knee jerk reaction that serves your dislike of the Oline coach, lets look for the most reasonable and probable explanation. like snow above, Huey had been a monster until this year. same for Hix. Ulatoski was the one guy who remained pretty consistent from last year to this year. I firmly believe our line was beaten up over the course of this year and was not healthy against some of the most dominant d-linemen to come out of college in the last 10-15 years. I have no problem with the potential and talent shown by Hix, Huey and Snow. If they can get back to their 2008 form and Walters can step in at LT or RT and Allen can step in at LG, then this line might be a real strength of this team."

"Yeah let it sink in. We honored a scholarship to a player who got hurt. It says alot about the staff and our program."

"

I don't understand why everyone is makeing such a big deal about this kid's leg. He still has his whole senior year of high school. Then he most likely has a redshirt year and his freshman year until he probably gets into the rotation. That is 3 years for a 17 year old to heal. Not everyone we get can be a future NFL player. Just give this kid a chance before throwing a player for the University you love under the bus."

• Like 2

Also, Jeff Howe's eval (didn't realize he posted on Shaggy from time to time):

Hey guys,

I wanted to let all of y'all know that appreciate the feedback (good and bad) about us over at Inside Texas and want to thank those of you who have joined up.

Here is a little scouting report on Doyle. I saw the kid twice this year early in the year and then again late in the year...

Doyle doesn' get a lot of run when talking about the top line prospects in the state but there is a lot to like about his game. From a physical standpoint Doyle reminds me a lot of Texas freshman Garrett Porter but I like Doyle's feet a lot more at the same stage. Doyle is well versed in pass blocking playing in a spread offense at Lake Travis and he has done an excellent job of playing left tackle this year taking over for Paden Kelley. He keeps a good base and uses his hands very well and can extend on guys. I also like the way he gets into guys at the point of attack. He might not always maul guys to the ground but he is so good with his hands and arm extension that he can get to second level with ease.

26 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Reading parts of that thread felt like reading the modern day 247 boards. Just mind-bottling, some of the defense mechanisms people put up.

21 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

It’s easy to forget that at one point we were pretty good. And at that time we had reason to trust the coaches. ctj gonna come in with a heaping helping of “I told you so”

I think most realize that Mack got his heart broke when Colt got hurt in the Bama game, and never fully recovered. And from that point forward, he pretty much "shit the bed" in all aspects of his job. He initiated a downward spiral that Charlie only exacerbated. Tom has halted the slide, got us back on a good track, and now must deliver Ws on a Royal level. We are not fixed yet, but definitely on the mend.

• Like 1

Just listened to the OB podcast for this week. After my ears stopped bleeding from listening to Ketch, i realized Jason Suchomel basically outed a silent commit and another that keeps moving his texas commit around. 

Both play the same position. So its not hard to realize who hes talking about. Geez , dude. 

4 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Just listened to the OB podcast for this week. After my ears stopped bleeding from listening to Ketch, i realized Jason Suchomel basically outed a silent commit and another that keeps moving his texas commit around. 

Both play the same position. So its not hard to realize who hes talking about. Geez , dude. 

Who was he referring to?

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I can’t really do that from that long ago. I mean, the things that have happened between then and now are sort of hard to fathom or discuss in my life. I did somewhat enjoy that visit down memory lane while also getting a little sad. It’s been a long road as a fan from there to here. I can’t help but measure that against things personally and it’s just really eerie and bizarre. 

All that considered, man, I’d like to see Texas get back to winning a bunch of games every year. Seeing the darkness before the sunset sucked, and the walk through the dark times hasn’t been any better. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

Reading parts of that thread felt like reading the modern day 247 boards. Just mind-bottling, some of the defense mechanisms people put up.

I mean, if you go straight into a commit's thread and start slamming him you'll always get flamed. That has never really changed around here, and it's probably a good thing. Hindsight is always 20/20.

EJ after dark: California recruits planning to visit UT

— Four-star Mater Dei (Calif.) safety Bryson Washington will make an unofficial visit to Texas before the end of the month. Washington is originally from the Houston-area and has extremely high interest in the program. He picked up a Texas offer during the spring evaluation period and is looking forward to making his way to campus.

— Texas is hosting a satellite camp in Los Angeles tomorrow, and Longhorns linebacker commit De’Gabriel Floyd will be in attendance. Floyd has been a vocal recruiter for Texas and is sure to help out with any top targets that decide to make an appearance at the camp. The four-star prospect from Westlake (Calif.) is completely solid to the Longhorns and is looking to make a visit to UT in coming weeks.

— I spoke to a source close to the recruitment of DJ Uiagalelei, the nation’s top 2020 pro-style quarterback, and he told me that the four-star St. John Bosco (Calif.) prospect is not as much of lock to USC as most are making him out to be. The source said Uiagalelei is very interested in Oregon and Washington and likes schools further away from home like Clemson, LSU and Texas. As we reported yesterday, Uiagalelei is planning to visit Texas this summer.

— Baylor wide receiver commit Jaylen Ellis camped in front of Texas head coach Tom Herman at the San Marcos satellite camp earlier today. Ellis holds a Texas offer and made an unofficial visit on Tuesday. Ellis has high interest in the program, and it appears the Longhorns are in a prime position to flip him if they push.

Some interesting sentiments from Eric Nahlin. He believes a few of our recent offers were rushed.

I personally think the three WR offers (as I wrote in real time) were premature. That is partly based on my belief in the staff as recruiters and in the season they’ll have. Those offers and the Caldwell pursuit are a bit of a philosophical break from last year that should please Canadians. To be fair, each kid is a Texas level talent, but the question should always be are the best option? If those offers were early, assigning blame to a position coach is folly if it persists. Many managers will give their subordinates latitude to see what comes of their decision making.

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

For people who don't want to read the full thread or give Kevin Morgan additional clicks, here are some of the more interesting/entertaining posts, from just the first two pages:

Reveal hidden contents

"ctj, you nor anyone else here can project what this kid will turn out to be half way thru the 11th $#@!ing grade. even if you really believe that you can, can't you find another place or another time to say such a $#@!ty thing about someone's kid?"

"According to ctj, McWhorter was done after last season... at least that's what he kept posting for months on end. On the bull$#@!-o-meter, ctj is scoring just a notch below Ketch."

"I didn't realize that planting ones lips around ctj's johnson was all it took to be surpass Mack and staff in recruiting acumen. I hope for ctj's sake the staff doesnt hear about it, cause I'm not sure I would want Muschamp in line for a refresher course. Its bad enough to trash players on campus for their efforts on the field, but to trash a guy that hasn't played a down for UT is pathetic."

"Just double checked with my brother. Said broken fibula or shattered ankle or broken ankle, etc. Nobody he's with knows for sure.

Taylor was in a wheelchair as of Saturday."

(CTJ) "Then it's just a dumb take at dramatic levels. No reason for it in any way. At least watch the guy recover and produce."

"I've tried to be the contrarian amongst the Debbie-Downers, but even I admit that is questionable to offer the kid while his leg is broken. I'm betting he'll be healed up, and contributing his senior year, but damn..."

"I have to admit that Mack offering a guy in a wheel chair is somewhat metaphorically funny."

"If it's any consolation, he probably will add weight while he is immobilized in his wheelchair. Think positive."

"Medical hardship scholly to Texas? Mack is always pushing the recruiting envelope."

"Mack is always thinking big picture. This is a kid from Lake Travis. Other coaches can talk about "family" and commitment to the players, but Mack lives it. You gotta give the man his artistic license. When Johnny 5-star asks "what if I get injured my senior year in HS?" there is stuff like this"

(guess who) "i think im gonna have to stop reading the recruiting boards before i start believing our program is at the bottom of Div I! with all the negative beliefs re our recruiting, how in the world did we just land the second best recruiting class in the nation? i always thought Mack was known to be the BEST recruiter in the Nation. i guess he is getting old or lazy or tired. did we just finish last in the conference or something? did the Oline of Tanner, Hall and Huey not play on a Big12 championship team? Did they not hold up pretty well against the greatest defense man has ever known? I understand that people can believe one prospect is better than another but hell this is pure lunacy. as long ago as last year (2008), we had a pretty decent o-line. im still not sure what happened over the course of the season to Huey and Snow but damn fellas, even our Oline isnt as bad as you guys are making it out to be. I have seen Doyle play in person. I believe he is quite a bit heavier than his listed weight. I would say he is around 280-290ish. He is a large person with a good frame. He seemed to dominate everyone he played against throughout the season and the playoffs. i dont think he is as soft as you guys are making him out to be. Now, is he the best oline prospect i have ever seen? No. But I do think he is worthy of a scholarship. And no CTJ, that is not because he plays for LT. He looks and plays the part no matter what uniform he is wearing."

(CTJ - this one is a bit eerie) "Unchecked negativism? You haven't read what I've written, then. Yes, I am negative about the OL recruiting, the OL coaching, and the offensive work from the top down, in general. I've asked others that wish to counter the concern with something other than "trust Mack" and the best guys can muster is "go ahead and jump" or something a female would do, like post an emoticon. In regard to the defense, the state of recruiting overall, and the state of the program, I like it. I've been happy with it, and I've bragged on it and defended it many times. We have a better program than anyone else in the country and Brown is a wizard CEO. It's not my problem that your egos are so fragile as it relates to this program that criticism of aspects of the program leads you to anger over the individuals positing those criticisms. This happens, of course, in a fan forum for discussions of that nature, without always posting some type of happy caveat with each criticism that "but I really like the program and all ..." to make the sunshine pumpers feel better. Take up the mantle and offer up some kind of take of why you think we're just A-ok on the OL recruiting and coaching end and stop embarrassing yourself by rubbing your vagina about another poster in public. Provide something worth a $#@!, as "oh, I don't like ctj" is useless. It's not a deterrent. In fact, I enjoy and revel in conflict, and it adds no other value."

(again, guess who) "Isnt this the staff that recruited Trey Allen, Mason Walters, Garret Porter, Thomas Ashcraft, Trey Hopkins, and Dominic Espinosa? any complaints there? were you impressed? i dont see a huge problem with our Oline recruiting. it seems we are getting the best Olinemen in Texas every recruiting year. and fwiw, David Snow was the best also when he came in. He was damn good in 2008. Im not sure what happened in 2009 but I will chalk it up to injuries of some sort as a much more likely cause than the O-line coach suddenly forgot what he was doing in 2009 after putting a pretty good O-line on the field in 2008. In 2008 we had one of the premier pass blocking lines in the nation and it included all the same guys that were on the 2009 line. so instead of making a knee jerk reaction that serves your dislike of the Oline coach, lets look for the most reasonable and probable explanation. like snow above, Huey had been a monster until this year. same for Hix. Ulatoski was the one guy who remained pretty consistent from last year to this year. I firmly believe our line was beaten up over the course of this year and was not healthy against some of the most dominant d-linemen to come out of college in the last 10-15 years. I have no problem with the potential and talent shown by Hix, Huey and Snow. If they can get back to their 2008 form and Walters can step in at LT or RT and Allen can step in at LG, then this line might be a real strength of this team."

"Yeah let it sink in. We honored a scholarship to a player who got hurt. It says alot about the staff and our program."

"

I don't understand why everyone is makeing such a big deal about this kid's leg. He still has his whole senior year of high school. Then he most likely has a redshirt year and his freshman year until he probably gets into the rotation. That is 3 years for a 17 year old to heal. Not everyone we get can be a future NFL player. Just give this kid a chance before throwing a player for the University you love under the bus."

So much winning in that thread. I forgot the 2010 OL started 4 seniors and still sucked shit through a straw. That is some world class suckage of OL recruiting. 

If you want to really be depressed, let’s also look at Bobby Kennedy’s record at WR evaluations. I remember going to a Carter football game 13 or 14 years ago and watching what looked like Randy Moss and Jerry Rice have a love child on the field. After the game that same young man was wearing a Texas hoodie and I was stoked until the coaches told me Texas was not interested. Texas Tech and Mike Leach should have been legally required to send Kennedy money for his incompetence on Michael Crabtree. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Some interesting sentiments from Eric Nahlin. He believes a few of our recent offers were rushed.

He also said Texas was trending for Bragg and the new leader the day before it was out that he is going to Stanford. Unusual since he is arguably overly optimistic. 

39 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

He also said Texas was trending for Bragg and the new leader the day before it was out that he is going to Stanford. Unusual since he is arguably overly optimistic. 

yeah because data and information is always constant and never changing 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

We are so jaded by having a professional graphics department making the edits for the recruits these days.  Hell, in my day we had to do them on an etch-a-sketch and then take a poloroid photo of it before our big brother came along and shook it all up, erasing it. 

Well sure... but also someone should tell him to take the extra 10 seconds to grab a png of the logos you want that doesn't come with a square of white space around it if he wants it to look cool.

59 minutes ago, satyanash said:

WR, it's not just IT thinking we rushed our offer blitz - Caldwell seems like a pretty solid offer and (ironically on this page) I generally trust Washington's MO. Not sure why that's a problem.

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

WR, it's not just IT thinking we rushed our offer blitz - Caldwell seems like a pretty solid offer and (ironically on this page) I generally trust Washington's MO. Not sure why that's a problem.

It's a weak year at CB, I have no problem moving on to Caldwell, especially if you think some funny business is going on with Banks. Go ahead and cut your losses quickly.

But Texas is deep at WR every year and we are in it on some OOS guys too. Obviously we aren't armed with all the information, but it does seem like we moved down our board too quickly, 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

He later said that he received the info about Bragg's leanings after posting that article. And for what it's worth, IT was the first to mention that new shit came to light with Bragg. TFB is still silent, and EJ is equivocating.

9.95ers gonna 9.95er, but recruitments can and do turn on a dime. We'll see what happens.

Edited by Machinator

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

So it’s your belief that Bragg was going to Texas Tuesday but then all in Stanford on Wednesday? 

its my belief that information and data isnt constant; that once it was all but guaranteed he was going to be admitted to Stanford that it would be hard for him to pass up. Maybe just maybe when the information was passed along to Nahlin they were unsure of the status of Stanford's admissions and were just as surprised as we all are that he was going to be admitted which changed how he felt about Stanford.

if you can't accept that an 18 yo can change his mind when new info comes to light - maybe reading Recruiting information this early in the recruiting season isn't in your best interest

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Froghorn717 said:

its my belief that information and data isnt constant; that once it was all but guaranteed he was going to be admitted to Stanford that it would be hard for him to pass up. Maybe just maybe when the information was passed along to Nahlin they were unsure of the status of Stanford's admissions and were just as surprised as we all are that he was going to be admitted which changed how he felt about Stanford.

if you can't accept that an 18 yo can change his mind when new info comes to light - maybe reading Recruiting information this early in the recruiting season isn't in your best interest

I feel like if admission to Stanford automatically meant that he was going there, then there should have been a cap on the optimism.

I bet you next week, we lead again.  This is going to be a hard recruitment.  I’ll never look down on a kid for picking Stanford, considering our struggles offensively.  

There is one damn solution and it’s to start winning again.  The minute that happens, Herman will take our recruiting to the level of bama and Ohio state.  Hell he did that last year with a shitty season.