Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

More IT notes from The Opening:

BRU MCCOY

The California native and nation's Top 5 athlete is here at The Opening, but not participating after a hamstring injury. It still gave me time to talk to the elite prospect about his Austin UOV and which side of the field he wants to play.

"I'm very high on Texas," said McCoy. "I went there just to get a feel for it, and meeting coach Herman and his energy, just what he hopes to get out of his players. Coach Mehringer was great. I think you need to be close to your position coach and I would love to play for him. The campus, facilities, the city, it's all unreal."

Texas, right now, is the only school that has said McCoy can play on both sides of the ball. He's got the skills for wide receiver and linebacker at the next level. So UT figures, why not.

"Texas specifically talked about having a 3rd down package for me and I personally project myself as a receiver," said McCoy. "(Texas) will blitz off their 3rd down scheme so it would be a perfect fit. But I definitely know playing on 3rd downs isn't hard on your body. People say, 'How can you do both', and I say, 'It's just one play. One play in maybe a 5-play drive.' And (Texas) compensates by rotating at wide receiver, so it's not that unimaginable. I mostly work at WR because it's hard to work on defensive end/OLB in the summer."

Texas is selling both sides, and they seem to be the most sincere in their pitch.

"Alabama, Notre Dame, USC, and Washington have all kind of brought it up, but it's hard to sift through who is being real and who is not," McCoy said. "You never know until you get there."

Figuring out who and what is real in college football recruiting is the tallest task for McCoy right now.

"For one, if you have a relationship with someone on the team, they aren't going to lie to you about the coaches," said McCoy. "So you know if they recruited you a certain way, and when you go there and switched you up and were a totally different person, I'm going to hear about it from someone on that team. You can also kind of tell when a coach is just feeding you what they feed every other recruit. Those same statements like, 'we need you here, you're our kind of guy,' and all that stuff, and then you have coaches that get really deep, they know you personally, they know your parents, they care. Even if it's just for recruiting purposes, they put the effort into it. That's better than coaches that use the same script over and over. Conversation wise, you can tell who really cares and who doesn't."

McCoy is ready to get back to Austin for the Longhorns showdown with the Trojans, who just so happen to be McCoy's dream school growing up. He talks highly about both UT and the USC, and right now, those are his top two schools. Tom Herman and Todd Orlando have done a great job with McCoy. A win in September would go even further.

JAVONNE SHEPHERD

Once he was padded up, you see the giant future left tackle Texas deeply desires. At 6-foot-7, 328, and a reported 4.9 (40), Shepherd is a monster. I caught up with the franchise left tackle on his Opening experience and a little recruiting, post-Heat Wave.

"It's really a lot of fun here, a privilege actually," said Shepherd. "Back at home, you're a big fish in a pond. Now, it's all big fish. It's great."

Shepherd, a man of few words, sees this week as an opportunity to not only compete but get better.

"It's really all a mindset," Shepherd said. "I always go hard, and against these guys, you have no choice. It makes you improve automatically."

Despite Texas being his clear leader, he still wants to take some official visits this fall. "Georgia, Alabama, and A&M will get officials. And Texas will definitely get an official. Maybe my last one."

When you're in the lead for a prospect like Shepherd, getting the last visit can be crucial. As of today, the Longhorns still look strong for the H-town man-child.

NEWS/NOTES

1. Erick Young is for real. DeGabriel Floyd is one of the top two LBs here. Kayvon Thibodeaux is as advertised, destroying Kenyon Green during the 1-on-1s. Garrett Wilson looks good, but Theo Wease looks better. Austin Stogner is a matchup nightmare. Jaylen Ellis and Trejan Bridges produced big-time, but Elijah Higgins is legit. Higgins, at 6-foot-3, 220, is a monster in the red zone. And Marcel Brooks is incredible.

2. No Zach Evans, but Ezekiel Elliott showed up. Evans didn't make the trip but the guy he mimics his game by did. One of the reasons Texas looks so good for the 5-star tailback from GP North Shore is Stan Drayton, the Horns' RB coach. The guy who coached Elliott, one of the top running backs in the NFL. Elliott is big on Drayton, even crediting him for his success in numerous pre- and post-draft interviews. It would've been nice if Evans would've made it. He'll be here next summer.

3. I got to watch a few Dallas Cowboys workout yesterday, and I instantly recognized one of them. Newly signed Connor Williams was outside in the 100-degree heat working on drops, kick steps, and footwork. I was quickly reminded how dominant he played at times just by his sheer size and speed. The best offensive line in the NFL just stole a stud in the 2nd round. How 'bout them Cowboys.

14 hours ago, satyanash said:

A case could be made that Texas A&M offensive tackle commit Kenyon Green was the Alpha Dog on the line of scrimmage. He went 7-3 in his 10 reps including two wins over the country’s No. 1 recruit Kayvon Thibodeaux

--Wiltfong

34 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Kayvon Thibodeaux is as advertised, destroying Kenyon Green during the 1-on-1s.

--IT

Lulz

(E.J. Holland) The Opening Finals: Observations from 7v7

FRISCO, TEXAS — Man, I love Rian Davis. The four-star linebacker out of Wekiva (Fla.) really impressed me in pads this spring and was great in both the camp and 7v7 portions of The Opening. Davis moved extremely well in space and has tremendous sideline-to-sideline speed. His large frame and superb athleticism are a rare combination. While some have pegged him as a pass rusher, Davis has so much versatility. He could literally play any linebacker spot if he landed at Texas.

— Texas linebacker commit De’Gabriel Floyd wasn’t too far behind as he helped lead his team to the 7v7 championship game. Floyd was a constant presence in the middle and handled everything underneath. The four-star prospect had a couple of athletic pass breakups and got downhill in a hurry. He can improve his feet in coverage, but that’s really nitpicking his game. Floyd is up to 240, so it will be interesting to see if he does play Rover in Austin. He looks more like an inside backer.

— Austin-area wide receivers Jaylen Ellis and Elijah Higgins didn’t see a ton of balls come their way in the games I watched. Ellis did flash on several drag routes as he made some plays in space thanks to his speed and elusiveness. Texas is recruiting him as an outside receiver, but I think he’s a natural slot. Higgins is a big-bodied wide out with solid hands and a dangerous target in the red zone. He’s tough to cover over the middle due to his size and strength.

— Texas put an offer on the table for five-star 2020 Mater Dei (Calif.) cornerback Elias Ricks on Monday during The Opening, and it’s not hard to see why. Ricks is long, physical and has great speed for his size. Ricks looks like a five-star in shorts as he frustrated wide receivers throughout 7v7 play. Ricks didn’t see very many balls come his way and didn’t give up any big plays.

— Marcel Brooks is a freak. The LSU linebacker commit showed off elite speed in 7v7 as he came downhill in a hurry to make various stops. Brooks has natural cover skills and would be great playing in space in a conference like the Big 12. While there appears to be minimal interest between Brooks and Texas, if the Longhorns were somehow able to get him onboard, he would be an instant impact guy. He’s ferocious when the pads come on and quite the athletic specimen in camp/7v7 settings.

— Texas doesn’t seem to be making four-star Mansfield Legacy defensive back Jeffery Carter a top priority. Regardless of underlying concerns, Carter can flat out play. Carter has elite speed to go along with his height and length. He is the complete package at cornerback, and guy that would excel in UT’s scheme. Carter wasn’t on a very good team, but he competed on every play and came away with several pass breakups. Carter may be the best corner in the state this cycle.

— It was tough to get a true evaluation of running back targets Trey Sanders and Jase McClellan. Both are bigger power backs, so this wasn’t the friendliest setting for them. Sanders did show some ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and was a player other teams made sure to account for. McClellan caught a couple of balls and looked impressive running after the catch.

— Several Texas targets did not take part in 7v7 or suffered injuries early on, including running back Noah Cain, linebacker Justin Flowe, athlete Bru McCoy, wide receiver Marcus Washington and safety Jalen Catalon.

• Like 1

(E.J. Holland) The Opening Finals: Texas recruiting scoop from final day

FRISCO, TEXAS — Texas is in the mix early on for five-star 2020 Upland (Calif.) linebacker Justin Flowe. The nation’s No. 2 overall player said he communicates with UT defensive coordinator Todd Orlando on a regular basis and hopes to make a visit to Austin this summer. Texas commit De’Gabriel Floyd has been working hard on Flowe and spent some time with him at The Opening Finals this week.

— Flowe isn’t the only elite 2020 California athlete that Texas is a contender for early on. Five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) cornerback Elias Ricks notched an offer from the Longhorns on Monday and was very excited about the new opportunity. He is starting to build a relationship with UT cornerbacks coach Jason Washington and hopes to visit in the near future. Floyd has also been working hard to recruit Ricks, who has family in Dallas. 

— Texas is still searching for linebackers this cycle, and the Longhorns are squarely in the picture for Saint Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) product Shammond Cooper. The four-star prospect is planning out his official visits and hopes to make his way to Austin on September 15 when the Longhorns take on USC. Cooper is in constant contact with Orlando and Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington.

— Four-star 2020 Aledo running back Jase McClellan may be committed to Oklahoma, but he still plans on enjoying the process and making visits. McClellan made his way to UT for the spring game earlier this offseason and will likely return for a game this fall. McClellan’s mother remains high on Texas as well, so it will be interesting to see if the Longhorns get in a more serious position to flip him down the line.

— LSU offensive line commit Kardell Thomas has talked about making a visit to Texas. However, I do not expect that trip to happen as Thomas did not list Texas as a potential OV. There really isn’t much to see here moving forward.

• Like 1

— Marcel Brooks is a freak. The LSU linebacker commit showed off elite speed in 7v7 as he came downhill in a hurry to make various stops. Brooks has natural cover skills and would be great playing in space in a conference like the Big 12. While there appears to be minimal interest between Brooks and Texas, if the Longhorns were somehow able to get him onboard, he would be an instant impact guy. He’s ferocious when the pads come on and quite the athletic specimen in camp/7v7 settings. 

— Texas doesn’t seem to be making four-star Mansfield Legacy defensive back Jeffery Carter a top priority. Regardless of underlying concerns, Carter can flat out play. Carter has elite speed to go along with his height and length. He is the complete package at cornerback, and guy that would excel in UT’s scheme. Carter wasn’t on a very good team, but he competed on every play and came away with several pass breakups. Carter may be the best corner in the state this cycle.

You need a few more euphemisms for "gigantic character risk" in there, EJ.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

You need a few more euphemisms for "gigantic character concern" in there, EJ.

You fucking nailed it. This is yet another of the many indicators that:

A.) EJ has zero fucking understanding of the team he is covering that he continues to talk about players like Brooks
B.) How completely limited he is as a reporter since his ONLY sources are fucking trainers and agents, and of course they're never going to sit there and tell EJ that maybe just maybe Brooks is allegedly a repeated rapist and probably (narrator: certainly) belongs in prison. And you know, EJ isn't going to maybe ask around or develop new and different sources for, I don't know, some clarity. 

Stop fucking mentioning him, EJ, you fucking dim witted fucking twit.  You'd be doing better reporting and helping your career if you wouldn't bring shit up like this and look like a naive ignoramus. You'd be better spent tweeting out pictures of putting a coat of Armor All on your lease. 

• Like 3

Along with what's already been mentioned on this page, Brooks has several other concerns/run ins. It's hilarious that LSU is taking him, that reporters still report on his play, and that camps and all star games let him participate 

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You doubt Sir Edward Lafayette Orgeron, Esq., at your own peril, sir. 

Coach O is wise. When asked about character risks in his program at a press conference recently he had this to say:

”Oum an pueaxmash foo Brooke eumban wadin FOOBAW!!”

Mike Roach: Texas commit De'Gabriel Floyd working hard on California targets

De’Gabriel Floyd is one of the leaders for the 2019 Texas class. The four-star Westlake Village (Ca.) prospect was the first in a movement of out-of-state players to commit to Texas. Since making his commitment, Floyd has been one of the vocal recruiters in the class. He’s also been working on other West Coast prospects to spread the burnt orange message. Floyd said that the transition from California to Austin is natural. “I think some kids are really interested in moving to a new state and being on their own,” Floyd said. “Texas is the closest thing to California in my opinion. Also, Texas has a lot of talent in-state. We feel like for them to come show interest in us it shows that we really have a good spot at Texas.”

Texas recently picked up a commitment from California safety Chris Adimora and is in on elite 2020 targets like Bryce Young, Elias Ricks and Bryson Washington.  But Floyd’s biggest targets is without a doubt Bru McCoy. The five-star prospect has the ability to play on both sides of the ball, but Floyd’s pitch centers around the impact they can both make at linebacker. “I know a lot because me and him are real close,” he said. “The main thing I’m telling him and everybody else is that he can do his thing on offense, but at the same time he can go play defense and we can be together. That’s a bad situation, so why not?”

Floyd has also been hard at work on other Texas targets at The Opening this such as Rian Davis and Javonne Shepherd. Floyd weighed in at 240 pounds, but he believes he can still play the rover position. His 4.7 40 and 4.38 shuttle time back that notion up. Floyd is also working on graduating early so that he can enroll in Austin next spring. He said he occasionally hears from Alabama, but most schools backed off once he made his commitment. At 6-foot-2, 240 pounds, Floyd is ranked as the No. 4 outside linebacker in the nation and No. 9 overall prospect in California, according to 247Sports Composite.

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

A couple of interesting things for everybody. Do with it what you will. 

Cine - A new proud papa up in the Mass area looks like a strong reason why returning that way, loosely, to Penn State, makes sense. This isn’t a done deal, but it’s why PSU leads, no matter what a dumb fuck like EJ Holland tells his lemmings. 

Sanders - Texas has a legit shot here, so there’s been crazier shit happen, but guys like this usually sign with Bama or Georgia in the current atmosphere. 

McCoy - Players don’t love Helton. This is coming across to guys like McCoy. This is a guy who signs with USC in most cycles. Put your money on that being the case this cycle, but buy a lottery ticket flyer on Texas. Bama did not resonate. 

Taurean Carter - This guy is a take independent of anything else. He has a 79 inch wingspan at 6’1”. That’s not public but helps make him a low key, high value type that Fat Pattie has feasted on until Herman’s crew showed up. Oscar Frigging Giles needs to push here and close this. 

The Other Carter - This is a top 50 national prospect. He has a really, really bad guy in the nuclear family and, more or less, it makes him a guy that Texas will watch elsewhere. Things change, but while he’s interested, they’re really not.

Wydermeyer - I don’t even know if I got his name right, but the Dickinson TE is a fucking stud. Our guys are good, but it’s sucks that this guy more or less wants to be an aggie.

Shepherd - Free money for visits in the fall but there’s a great shot he winds up at Texas.

Midlothian WR - It’s Langston Something - this guy is a higher priority target than anyone but Higgins and Wright.

Higgins - Florida is probably the real problem. He and his family are from there.

That’s all I remember. Fucking St. Arnold’s Art Car after margaritas dims memories, thankfully, but not doesn’t help this re-tell.

Good stuff. 

I thought Cine's dad was moving to Texas. 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You doubt Sir Edward Lafayette Orgeron, Esq., at your own peril, sir. 

4 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Coach O is wise. When asked about character risks in his program at a press conference recently he had this to say:

”Oum an pueaxmash foo Brooke eumban wadin FOOBAW!!”

2 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

It's illegible even for coonass standards. Roughly equal to 1 Ed Orgeron 

Keep talking shit. “O” the Rosy Finch Boyz, LLC is coming for all you jokers. 

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Cine - A new proud papa up in the Mass area looks like a strong reason why returning that way, loosely, to Penn State, makes sense. This isn’t a done deal, but it’s why PSU leads, no matter what a dumb fuck like EJ Holland tells his lemmings. 

Sanders - Texas has a legit shot here, so there’s been crazier shit happen, but guys like this usually sign with Bama or Georgia in the current atmosphere. 

McCoy - Players don’t love Helton. This is coming across to guys like McCoy. This is a guy who signs with USC in most cycles. Put your money on that being the case this cycle, but buy a lottery ticket flyer on Texas. Bama did not resonate. 

Taurean Carter - This guy is a take independent of anything else. He has a 79 inch wingspan at 6’1”. That’s not public but helps make him a low key, high value type that Fat Pattie has feasted on until Herman’s crew showed up. Oscar Frigging Giles needs to push here and close this. 

The Other Carter - This is a top 50 national prospect. He has a really, really bad guy in the nuclear family and, more or less, it makes him a guy that Texas will watch elsewhere. Things change, but while he’s interested, they’re really not.

Wydermeyer - I don’t even know if I got his name right, but the Dickinson TE is a fucking stud. Our guys are good, but it’s sucks that this guy more or less wants to be an aggie.

Shepherd - Free money for visits in the fall but there’s a great shot he winds up at Texas.

Midlothian WR - It’s Langston Something - this guy is a higher priority target than anyone but Higgins and Wright.

Higgins - Florida is probably the real problem. He and his family are from there.

That’s all I remember. Fucking St. Arnold’s Art Car after margaritas dims memories, thankfully, but not doesn’t help this re-tell.

what exactly are carter's problems? school, drugs, women, worse?

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So we're getting Taurean Carter... yay....