Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Unbelievably imbecilic post.

Giles is a fantastic position coach and a mediocre recruiter... these are known quantities.  We have too many offensive assistants and, frankly, more than a couple seem like they suck. What Herman needed to do was drop one of them and hire a DL recruiting coach to pair with Giles.  That fixes a real issue.  Brewster vs Giles, head to head in a recruiting battle is not a fair fight. We're fighting with one hand tied behind our back. 

• Like 1

This ain’t going to be easy boys.  As easy as they are to make fun of, that staff knows what they are doing as far as recruiting and they have plenty of skins on the wall.  They’ll get a couple more that “we” think are all-UT, but a shitty season from Jimbo may get all these guys back in play. 

2 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

This ain’t going to be easy boys.  As easy as they are to make fun of, that staff knows what they are doing as far as recruiting and they have plenty of skins on the wall.  They’ll get a couple more that “we” think are all-UT, but a shitty season from Jimbo may get all these guys back in play. 

FYI, I still think we’ll have a badass class. 

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

It should take more than one trip to turn a guy that much. 

3 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Giles is a fantastic position coach and a mediocre recruiter... these are known quantities.  We have too many offensive assistants and, frankly, more than a couple seem like they suck. What Herman needed to do was drop one of them and hire a DL recruiting coach to pair with Giles.  That fixes a real issue.  Brewster vs Giles, head to head in a recruiting battle is not a fair fight. We're fighting with one hand tied behind our back. 

I honestly don't know about Giles as a recruiter; seems lately lots of recruits praise him.  But it is waaaaay too fucking early to shit your pants over a very weird, hinky event.  If you believe that Leal and even Richardson don't make it to Austin in the next couple of months I don't know what to tell you.  Particularly Leal, who has no roadblocks in front of him and better academic and professional prospects here.  This would be unwelcome news, but it isn't the last word.  Take a deep breath.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Either you read the Aggy board way too much or you’re an Aggy. 

1 minute ago, Sejjr said:

Leal will change his tune when he starts to compare the actual on the field defensive results. aggy defense is an abortion.

You know the pitch: come to aggy and be the person that changes this defense. 

It's early, not worried until he stops taking calls but it does make it more interesting.

3 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I honestly don't know about Giles as a recruiter; seems lately lots of recruits praise him.  But it is waaaaay too fucking early to shit your pants over a very weird, hinky event.  If you believe that Leal and even Richardson don't make it to Austin in the next couple of months I don't know what to tell you.  Particularly Leal, who has no roadblocks in front of him and better academic and professional prospects here.  This would be unwelcome news, but it isn't the last word.  Take a deep breath.

Pretty much everyone who has been plugged into Texas recruiting for a while has acknowledged that Giles is not a good recruiter. Just look at last season, when our DL recruiting was going nowhere until Carrington went out on the trail.

That said, I agree with the rest of what you say, but it's always easier swaying an uncommitted recruit.

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Either you read the Aggy board way too much or you’re an Aggy. 

Probably read this board too much...

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It should take more than one trip to turn a guy that much. 

Never said all this “success” was from completely legit recruiting “techniques”. 

12 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Who's shitting their pants?  I'm saying Herman didn't maximize his staff and it's biting him in the ass.  Pitting Giles against Brewster head to head is just plain stupid.  Herman could have a much better staff in place if he wanted to. He chose not to and losing recruiting battles with Giles was very foreseeable.  Giles should be the DL coach, and someone else should have been the DL recruiter.

Is this recruitment over?  Who knows?  We still don't know if Leal committed or not.  But that does not change the fact that Herman did not do himself any favors here.  He chose to play from a position of weakness.

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Once Mehringer gets canned

Do you see this as inevitable? Lost in all the pre-NSD1 talk last cycle over Giles and DL and now the Leal situation is the fact that I don't think Mehringer has been especially impressive recruiting WRs, either.

I don't believe that Bilbo's  "No visit policy" withstands the natural ebb and flow of recruiting.  Herman and staff have shown - myself, at least - that believing in their recruiting abilities is warranted.  And Tim Beck notwithstanding, I believe our Fall will take a big piss on aggy fail.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Do you see this as inevitable? Lost in all the pre-NSD1 talk last cycle over Giles and DL and now the Leal situation is the fact that I don't think Mehringer has been especially impressive recruiting WRs, either.

We got 3 WRs from the top 11 players in state last cycle. What do you consider impressive? 

7 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Who's shitting their pants?  I'm saying Herman didn't maximize his staff and it's biting him in the ass.  Pitting Giles against Brewster head to head is just plain stupid.  Herman could have a much better staff in place if he wanted to. He chose not to and losing recruiting battles with Giles was very foreseeable.  Giles should be the DL coach, and someone else should have been the DL recruiter.

Is this recruitment over?  Who knows?  We still don't know if Leal committed or not.  But that does not change the fact that Herman did not do himself any favors here.  He chose to play from a position of weakness.

So you're saying the Station is Lit? Bwahahaha.  Brewster is gonna get depansted sooner rather than later.

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I agree with other posters, Herman is taking a page of Urb's book. Two year commitment to every assistant coach. Mehringer should have been fired last season. Herman worked the coaching wire hard to find Warehime and Mehringer soft landing. 

If this was the case, the Herb Hand hire was probably the best possible outcome after Mehringer and Warehime were passed on. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

10 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Please explain how the fuck it’s Brewster vs Giles heads up? Is Brewster the d-line coach? No. Unless you think Leal is going to A&M to play tight end.

2 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Please explain how the fuck it’s Brewster vs Giles heads up? Is Brewster the d-line coach? No. Unless you think Leal is going to A&M to play tight end.

Brewster took over Leal's recruitment at some point in the last few months for A&M.

Just now, satyanash said:

Brewster took over Leal's recruitment at some point in the last few months for A&M.

My point is that it’s the recruiting coordinator. We have one of those right? Everyone is talking about how great Carrington is. Herman went by multiple times the first week we could be on campus to see Leal. It’s not Brewster vs Giles. It’s a weak position to push.