Texas recruiting notes 2019

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Someone who tweets at recruits plz don't tweet at recruits also plz tweet this at Hookfin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hookfin is never going to think he'll play as a frosh with an All-American in front of him. As always, do not tweet at recruits

1 hour ago, rickyspub said:

A 2-man OL class would be tough to swallow. We would need to take like 7 or 8 next year and that becomes hard to juggle. The Feldman article at least gives you some hope that just grabbing some low 3-star or even a 2-star OL is as likely to produce an All-Conference player than the 4- and 5-star guys we are striking out on.

This is a down year in state, 2020 is a much better year and Texas is already off to a very good start. I would expect the 2020 class to be 5-7.

3 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

16 hours listening to lawyers pontificate would kill me. And I’m a lawyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now imagine that same meeting occurring in your mom’s basement. That will give you a better sense of ctj’s predicament. 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

DL is fine, numbers-wise. We whiffed on Leal, and that was that.

OL, I'm struggling to understand right now. Hopefully it resolves itself like DL did last cycle.

Yep.

We’re not going to compete at a playoff level until our oline dominance and depth are both improved.....a lot.

This year’s line was better than last year’s but still a LONG ass way from being a team strength.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Not to be the "trust the staff" guy, but I at least trust them to have a roster of contingency plans. That's half the point of having a large staff of analysts like we do.

Apparently the IMG DL that visited last weekend might be the interior OL backup plan.

OL, I'm struggling to understand right now. Hopefully it resolves itself like DL did last cycle.

We have 0 DT commits. We have 4 DE’s, one of which is JC. When you look at the depth charts it seems we should have at least two more DL in play. Am I forgetting someone?

Both of whom were much more ready when they arrived. It's possible that Baylor has every intent of playing a 260 project at tackle next year if they are as short on bodies as we were that resulted in lots of freshmen playing OL. However, more likely Rhule wants to secure his signature and is saying whatever it takes to get it. 
It's obvious to us, but my point was that all the people acting like Hookfin is smoking crack for listening to an early playing time pitch might be ignoring the fact that it does happen. And it has happened here recently as a result of criminal roster mismanagement.

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

We have 0 DT commits. We have 4 DE’s, one of which is JC. When you look at the depth charts it seems we should have at least two more DL in play. Am I forgetting someone?

Seems like you missed the multiple discussions we've had on the staff's approach to DT recruiting.

Sweat is a nose tackle.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

We took two future nose tackles last class, and guys like Sweat and Warren can eventually grow into athletic nose tackles who you'd rather use against spread offenses than fat run plugging nose tackles. You want both on the roster, but the run stoppers aren't the priority they used to be, or at least they aren't in our conference. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Agreed. Outside on missing on Leal, its hard to argue with the haul these last two cycles. Both in numbers and in quality. 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Seems like you missed the multiple discussions we've had on the staff's approach to DT recruiting.

Sweat is a nose tackle.

Don't you know where you are? How can you expect someone to follow this shit all year when they can come in the week of signing day and bitch about things they don't understand?

• Like 2

Just now, Dbeasy said:

No I was in the middle of the conversation and even pointed out the staff’s preference for late evals. I just don’t think we are putting enough candidates in play.

With Mike Williams out, taking a late jumbo guy like Whitner from IMG might be a smart move.

Before that surfaced, I had no issues with numbers for our DL class. Surely you remember what happened when Charlie Strong threw numbers at DL in 2016, correct?

We took two future nose tackles last class, and guys like Sweat and Warren can eventually grow into athletic nose tackles who you'd rather use against spread offenses than fat run plugging nose tackles. You want both on the roster, but the run stoppers aren't the priority they used to be, or at least they aren't in our conference. 

That’s exactly my point. If Sweat and/or Warren are DT’s then we have two DE recruits. Go look at the DE depth chart. Still seem to be 1-2 short in my opinion. Maybe grad transfers appear after stinging day 1 or another Ojomo.

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Don't you know where you are? How can you expect someone to follow this shit all year when they can come in the week of signing day and bitch about things they don't understand?

We can at least expect them to know what conference we play in and what decade this is. 

First of all, I’m here all year. You should know that shouldn’t you?

IT on Lewis:

AUSTIN — When looking to complete its wide receiver class, Texas looked at options in-state and targeted Melissa’s Kennedy Lewis. Today, the Longhorns earned the former TCU pledge’s commitment to join the #fUTure19 class on the eve of National Signing Day.

The 6-foot-3, 205-pounder looks to be the ideal X receiver in Tom Herman’s power spread attack.

Excerpt from the Recruiting Notebook:

How he fits at Texas: Lewis is a big receiver of the sort that seem to grow on trees in the Metroplex. He’s got good size to win jump balls at the X but he’s at his best right now using good footwork, strength, and pure speed to beat coverage off the line and get open down the field rather than high pointing fades.

Lewis is a well-rounded guy that could really surprise at the X. He almost looks like a possession receiver at times because of his route running and you don’t realize he can fly. Not a guy defenses would want to leave isolated on a CB. – Ian Boyd

Just now, Dbeasy said:

That’s exactly my point. If Sweat and/or Warren are DT’s then we have two DE recruits. Go look at the DE depth chart. Still seem to be 1-2 short in my opinion. Maybe grad transfers appear after stinging day 1 or another Ojomo.

They'll play DE until they're needed at NT. They can play both, like Nelson did, and like Graham has been 

Plus, the 2020 class is loaded, and those guys can probably play early 

https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/12/hookem-wr-kennedy-lewis-commits-to-texas/

Spoiler

Texas lands their 22nd commitment of the 2019 class reeling in Kennedy Lewis, a three-star wide receiver from Melissa High School in Melissa, TX.

Kennedy Lewis initially impressed the Longhorn staff back in June during their summer camp and earned himself an offer. Despite that Lewis was committed to TCU, but decommitted shortly after a visit to Texas back in October.

After that trip, he came very close to committing to Texas in November; however, he ultimately did not pull the trigger as Texas tried to figure out their receiver situation.

When former commit Peyton Powell decided he wanted to pursue his dream to be a quarterback, Texas was back in the market for a wide receiver. Kennedy Lewis has loved the Longhorns for quite a while, so when the spot opened back up, he was more than willing to join the fold.

FILM BREAKDOWN

At 6’3″ and 200-pounds, Kennedy Lewis is built like the prototypical outside wide receiver. While he will most likely fit well at the X-WR position, he could end up trying the Z-WR position.

Lewis is a bloodhound for the ball. He has very long limbs, so his catch radius expansive, and he’s shown an aptitude for locating and attack the ball in the air, making him pretty tough to beat in jump-ball situations. Besides his jump-ball ability, his capacity for finding soft spots in coverage with his routes was impressive.

When in the open field, Lewis is more of a bruiser than he is a speedster. He often out-physicalled defensive back in high school, showing a pretty nasty stiff arm and some above-average strength. While he doesn’t possess a crazy amount of speed, he runs well with the ball and demonstrates the capability to run a multitude of routes.

Add to all this his willingness to block outside, and you have the makings of an excellent receiver.

OVERALL

Texas just landed a solid outside receiver prospect to add to their bevy of talent at the position. At this time, we don’t expect him to get immediate playing time but believe he has the mental and physical makeup to be a threat on the outside given time in the program.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Before that surfaced, I had no issues with numbers for our DL class. Surely you remember what happened when Charlie Strong threw numbers at DL in 2016, correct?

I mean, we changed coaches immediately after... A coaching change always leads to transfers, especially when the outgoing coach is as likeable as Brick Haley was. The overall approach was still correct. D-line is one of the positions where you absolutely need a lot of elite talent, especially in the Big 12 where the importance of the QB in your offense is magnified. I get that Leal was just one miss, but a talent like that isn't easily replaced. Herman knew this, there were reports from as early as the spring that he was personally recruiting Leal.

Edited by satyanash

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

I mean, we changed coaches immediately after... A coaching change always leads to transfers. The overall approach was still correct. D-line is one of the positions where you absolutely need a lot of elite talent, especially in the Big 12 where the importance of the QB in your offense is magnified. I get that Leal was just one miss, but a talent like that isn't easily replaced. Herman knew this, there were reports from as early as the spring that he was personally recruiting Leal.

My point is that's not a numbers problem. It's a "we need to land more of our plan A targets at the position" problem.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

IT on Lewis:

AUSTIN — When looking to complete its wide receiver class, Texas looked at options in-state and targeted Melissa’s Kennedy Lewis. Today, the Longhorns earned the former TCU pledge’s commitment to join the #fUTure19 class on the eve of National Signing Day.

The 6-foot-3, 205-pounder looks to be the ideal X receiver in Tom Herman’s power spread attack.

Excerpt from the Recruiting Notebook:

How he fits at Texas: Lewis is a big receiver of the sort that seem to grow on trees in the Metroplex. He’s got good size to win jump balls at the X but he’s at his best right now using good footwork, strength, and pure speed to beat coverage off the line and get open down the field rather than high pointing fades.

Lewis is a well-rounded guy that could really surprise at the X. He almost looks like a possession receiver at times because of his route running and you don’t realize he can fly. Not a guy defenses would want to leave isolated on a CB. – Ian Boyd

So he’s fast

9 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/12/hookem-wr-kennedy-lewis-commits-to-texas/

Reveal hidden contents

Texas lands their 22nd commitment of the 2019 class reeling in Kennedy Lewis, a three-star wide receiver from Melissa High School in Melissa, TX.

Kennedy Lewis initially impressed the Longhorn staff back in June during their summer camp and earned himself an offer. Despite that Lewis was committed to TCU, but decommitted shortly after a visit to Texas back in October.

After that trip, he came very close to committing to Texas in November; however, he ultimately did not pull the trigger as Texas tried to figure out their receiver situation.

When former commit Peyton Powell decided he wanted to pursue his dream to be a quarterback, Texas was back in the market for a wide receiver. Kennedy Lewis has loved the Longhorns for quite a while, so when the spot opened back up, he was more than willing to join the fold.

FILM BREAKDOWN

At 6’3″ and 200-pounds, Kennedy Lewis is built like the prototypical outside wide receiver. While he will most likely fit well at the X-WR position, he could end up trying the Z-WR position.

Lewis is a bloodhound for the ball. He has very long limbs, so his catch radius expansive, and he’s shown an aptitude for locating and attack the ball in the air, making him pretty tough to beat in jump-ball situations. Besides his jump-ball ability, his capacity for finding soft spots in coverage with his routes was impressive.

When in the open field, Lewis is more of a bruiser than he is a speedster. He often out-physicalled defensive back in high school, showing a pretty nasty stiff arm and some above-average strength. While he doesn’t possess a crazy amount of speed, he runs well with the ball and demonstrates the capability to run a multitude of routes.

Add to all this his willingness to block outside, and you have the makings of an excellent receiver.

OVERALL

Texas just landed a solid outside receiver prospect to add to their bevy of talent at the position. At this time, we don’t expect him to get immediate playing time but believe he has the mental and physical makeup to be a threat on the outside given time in the program.

So he’s not fast

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deech said:

With Lewis on board can someone show me again where I can pay $9.95 about Bru McCoy's switch to Texas last night before he signs with USC tomorrow?

Not just Bru. Remember Higgins is a "toss up" according to IT. So when he commits to Stanford just wait for the tell all story about how close it really was.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So he’s fast

So he’s not fast

He runs a 10.88 s 100 and a 4.5 s 40. The flip side of that is that that speed doesn't show up on tape (not yet, anyway).

https://hornsports.com/index.php/2018/12/18/commitment-spotlight-kennedy-lewis/

Edited by satyanash