Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

"We should also just get Justin Fields to transfer and if we don't it's clearly an indication that there are systemic and crippling inefficiencies with this coaching staff, the program, and the entire State of Texas.".

Lets just hire Art Briles while we are at it as well?

Your bong runneth over.

1 hour ago, Bevoball said:

People can bitch about losing out on McCoy and Sanders all they want, the biggest recruiting loss this cycle to me will continue to be Bragg. We have not landed true "potential" all conference interior lineman in forever, and he was an admitted lifelong fan and we just couldn't close.

Lifelong fans only commit to their schools in other states lol

31 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

We should also just get Justin Fields to transfer and if we don't it's clearly an indication that there are systemic and crippling inefficiencies with this coaching staff, the program, and the entire State of Texas.

Is that how you do it, satanyash? 

It's reported he is transferring.  But where?  I assume all SEC teams would be out.

7 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

It's reported he is transferring.  But where?  I assume all SEC teams would be out.

Depends on if he gets the "you can play next year" waiver I suppose.  If he has to sit out next year, no telling (he may just stay), but if he is granted the waiver, then OU, tOSU (if DH declares), FSU among others who need immediate impact QB.

1 minute ago, horn_of_the_morning said:
3 minutes ago, CastHorn said:
Shep is probably our most impressive commit and most of the the fan base has written him off. Hopefully that narrative changes when he’s on campus.

It's not that he has been written off but that there are enough data points now to say that kids with antics like his don't usually pan out.

Especially offensive line where technique and brain power is arguably more important than athleticism

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

That and our RB offers is a disappointing trip down memory lane. The majority of those offers were to kids in SEC territory. No HSer's offered west of Missouri at OL or RB. The only CA player offered at either position was the JUCO RB that OU just got.

1 minute ago, Wishbone said:

Not going to wade through the hubris but wasn’ it reported/speculated a few pages back that he would ink tomorrow after most thought he’d wait for NSD2?

He posted a tweet saying something would happen tomorrow, then deleted it.

He has all the physical tools in the world but there are plenty of questions about his mental eval (North Forest does not seem to foster a very wholesome, nurturing environment).

7 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I suppose the staff has determined any high maintenance is worth the effort, especially initially,. If they’re thinking he’s just immature and will level out after he gets here it’s well worth the payoff. He’s already hung around longer than I thouht he would. So hopefully it all works out.

Edited by Wishbone

22 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

So his fax machine could develop a “flat tire”?

Fax machines have been phased out nowadays, I think. NCAA allows recruits to snap a pic of the LOI and text it directly now. Only saying because under Charlie we still used an old-fashioned fax machine in the war room.

Edited by satyanash

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Fax machines have been phased out nowadays, I think. NCAA allows recruits to snap a pic of the LOI and text it directly now. Only saying because under Charlie we still used an old-fashioned fax machine in the war room.

Much obliged! This I know, but that would have ruined the flavor of my post. 

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Answering important questions before ESD

HOW MUCH “FUN” WILL BE HAPPENING ON WEDNESDAY? — ASIDOTI12

EJ: It’s going to be fun regardless. Don’t be a negative Nancy. Texas has a Top 10 recruiting class, the No. 1 recruiting class in the Big 12 and is still in play for top targets Noah Cain, Trey Sanders and Bru McCoy. Texas has a great class and could pull a rabbit out of its hat on Wednesday. Remember, the Mikey Grandy recruitment last ESD? You can never count this staff out.

Mike: Like EJ said, Texas is headed for a second straight Top 10 class, and there are some great players ready to sign tomorrow. There are still some potential big fish on the table, and the Texas staff is doing everything they can at the 11th hour. With the program trending in the right direction and new talent coming in, I'd encourage you to have as much fun as you can handle.

WOULD NOAH CAIN/ELIJAH HIGGINS BE A SATISFACTORY CONSOLATION PRIZE IF WE DON'T GET TREY SANDERS/BRU MCCOY? — DKINNAMON

EJ: Satisfactory? That would be a hell of a consolation prize if that’s how you want to describe it. Higgins is a bigger receiver that would be a perfect fit in the offense. He would have an opportunity to be the next Lil'Jordan Humphrey. Cain is an elite level back and would get a ton of touches as a true freshman. While Sanders is ranked higher, Cain is a bell cow and one of the most powerful runners I’ve seen.

Mike: Both Higgins and Cain are great prospects that just about any program in the country would love to have. I'd argue that if Texas landed one of that group of four it would be a huge win. I know that there are those out there with mixed feelings on Cain, but I think he has the chance to be a special player who can make a big time instant impact.

WHO IS A BETTER BACK NOW? TREY SANDERS OR ZACH EVANS (I KNOW EVANS IS YOUNGER). WHO HAS A HIGHER CEILING? — EAST TEXAS HORN

EJ: Let me start off by saying I love Sanders. He is a five-star in my book and has a lot of upside. I think he would have the higher ceiling than Evans. But overall, I would take Evans if I had to pick one. He is a once in a generation running back and really may be the best this state has produced since Adrian Peterson. Evans will be an immediate impact freshman wherever he lands.

Mike: It's Zach Evans. I love Sanders' athletic ability, but I'd like to see him become a more natural runner. Evans is probably the best prospect overall I've ever seen. He can do everything on the field, and he's built to carry a workhorse load.

HYPOTHETICALLY, IF NOAH CAIN HAD STAYED IN DENTON, DO YOU THINK HE WOULD STILL BE A FIVE-STAR RECRUIT? — DW1259

EJ: He’s actually a four-star recruit and probably would have remained a four-star had he stayed at Denton Guyer. I think Cain suffered rankings wise from simply being around too long. It happened with Dylan Moses. When he was a senior, he dropped several spots for kind of no reason — Moses is making an early impact at Alabama. Cain was a star as a freshman at Denton Guyer, and his stock hasn’t gone down in my book. It’s actually gone up as he split carries at IMG and is fresh.

Mike: Leaving Guyer was probably the best thing for him, since they would have probably ran him into the ground over his career. Splitting carries at IMG helped to develop him without putting the miles on his body. I think he'd be a four-star guy, and he'd probably be ranked a bit higher because of the production.

WHAT IS THE BACKUP PLAN AT RUNNING BACK SEEING AS TREY SANDERS AND NOAH CAIN ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN? RHAMONDRE STEVENSON HAS COMMITTED TO OU, AND IT SEEMS THAT BAMA MIGHT PURSUE DEONDRICK GLASS IF THEY DON'T GET SANDERS. — EJW0501

EJ: I think we’re in wait and see mode there. The backup plan was Stevenson, but like you mentioned, he picked OU and will be a tough flip. If Texas doesn’t land Cain or Sanders tomorrow, some more names will pop up during the late period. But right now, landing one of those two is the focus.

Mike: The board resets at that point. Texas will need to find someone in JUCO or as a grad transfer, because the available options won't be very appetizing at the high school level.

IS DARWIN BARLOW FROM NEWTON STILL AN OPTION? — BUCKWILD9602

EJ: I don’t think so. Texas evaluated him and hosted him for a visit in the spring. However, I expect him to sign with TCU.

Mike: Barlow should be signing early before he plays for a second straight state championship. Texas looked at him quite a bit in the spring and fall, but in the end they chose to chase the bigger targets.

IS TEXAS CONTENT TO ADD JUST ONE RB THIS CLASS? WOULD ONLY ONE THIS YEAR MAKE IT EASIER TO GET ONE OF THE BIG THREE RBS NEXT YEAR? — DKINNAMON

EJ: Texas really wants two running backs this cycle. But if I were them, I would just go after a JUCO or grad transfer in the late period as opposed to a high school back. The 2020 class is loaded, and Texas needs to really focus on Evans. If that doesn’t work out, Mesquite Poteet’s Seth McGowan is an elite prospect.

Mike: I think they'd like two, but they aren't going to accumulate numbers just because. If they miss out on Cain and Sanders, I expect them to move on to 2020 unless a grad transfer comes out of nowhere.

I AM REALLY HOPING THAT THE HORNS ARE GETTING BRU MCCOY. HOWEVER, BASED ON WHAT WE HAVE HEARD, BRU IS PRETTY MUCH A GONER, ESPECIALLY AFTER THE OV TO SC THIS PAST WEEKEND. DO YOU THINK WE WILL RECRUIT ANOTHER WR (OUTSIDE OF HIGGINS) OR THE STAFF IS FULLY CONTENT WITH JAKE SMITH, MARCUS WASHINGTON AND JORDAN WHITTINGTON? — LNDOHORN

EJ: I wouldn’t say McCoy is a goner. There is still optimism around Austin, and McCoy doesn’t have to sign anything until he announces his decision. But if he head to USC, I think Texas will likely close up show at receiver, especially after landing Kennedy Lewis earlier today.

Mike: I would also say giving up hope on McCoy now would be wrong. I know USC has rebounded, but Texas ran this recruitment as well as they could have. There's a chance things could still work out there. Outside of Bru, I can't see them taking another wide receiver.

AS FAR AS OL, ANY OTHER JUCOS OR GRAD TRANSFERS OUT THERE THAT HAVE NOT BEEN MENTIONED THAT THEY ARE LOOKING AT? ARE THEY CONTENT WITH WHAT THEY HAVE IN THE CLASS RIGHT NOW? — TRINI02

EJ: Not right now. It looks like Texas is going to miss on Andrew Coker and Isaiah Hookfin, making offensive line a major priority for the late period. I would expect a ton of names to pop up in January.

Mike: I think we might see grad transfers pop up more now that the semester is ending. Outside of the guys we've reported, there is no one on the market right now.

WHAT IS CALEB JOHNSON'S INJURY THAT YOU HAVE REFERRED TO, AND HOW MUCH LONGER DO YOU THINK IT MIGHT LIMIT HIM? — RICK ZOLOFT

EJ: Johnson had a labrum injury, and it will sideline him for most of the offseason. He just had surgery last month, and it’s going to take some time for him to recover.

Mike: Labrum injuries can be tough, and the recovery could keep him out through the spring depending on how it goes. I'd expect him to be ready to go in the summer if that's the case.

WHY DO THEY STILL USE FAX MACHINES FOR THEIR LETTERS WITH ALL THE TECHNOLOGY THESE DAYS?

EJ: Haha. I’m not sure. Jacoby Jones did tell me that he is going to email his NLI and had no clue what a fax machine was.

Mike: Fax machines are still used, but a lot of guys are sending PDF versions now. Good thing there are adults around, because I'm not sure a kid nowadays could figure out a fax.

1 minute ago, Wishbone said:

Much obliged! This I know, but that would have ruined the flavor of my post. 

Apparently fax machines are still used in some places. Jacoby Jones mentioned to Roach that he was just going to email his NLI as a PDF.

So your joke remains intact, for now 😁

Edited by satyanash

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Answering important questions before ESD

Hide contents

HOW MUCH “FUN” WILL BE HAPPENING ON WEDNESDAY? — ASIDOTI12

EJ: It’s going to be fun regardless. Don’t be a negative Nancy. Texas has a Top 10 recruiting class, the No. 1 recruiting class in the Big 12 and is still in play for top targets Noah Cain, Trey Sanders and Bru McCoy. Texas has a great class and could pull a rabbit out of its hat on Wednesday. Remember, the Mikey Grandy recruitment last ESD? You can never count this staff out.

Mike: Like EJ said, Texas is headed for a second straight Top 10 class, and there are some great players ready to sign tomorrow. There are still some potential big fish on the table, and the Texas staff is doing everything they can at the 11th hour. With the program trending in the right direction and new talent coming in, I'd encourage you to have as much fun as you can handle.

WOULD NOAH CAIN/ELIJAH HIGGINS BE A SATISFACTORY CONSOLATION PRIZE IF WE DON'T GET TREY SANDERS/BRU MCCOY? — DKINNAMON

EJ: Satisfactory? That would be a hell of a consolation prize if that’s how you want to describe it. Higgins is a bigger receiver that would be a perfect fit in the offense. He would have an opportunity to be the next Lil'Jordan Humphrey. Cain is an elite level back and would get a ton of touches as a true freshman. While Sanders is ranked higher, Cain is a bell cow and one of the most powerful runners I’ve seen.

Mike: Both Higgins and Cain are great prospects that just about any program in the country would love to have. I'd argue that if Texas landed one of that group of four it would be a huge win. I know that there are those out there with mixed feelings on Cain, but I think he has the chance to be a special player who can make a big time instant impact.

WHO IS A BETTER BACK NOW? TREY SANDERS OR ZACH EVANS (I KNOW EVANS IS YOUNGER). WHO HAS A HIGHER CEILING? — EAST TEXAS HORN

EJ: Let me start off by saying I love Sanders. He is a five-star in my book and has a lot of upside. I think he would have the higher ceiling than Evans. But overall, I would take Evans if I had to pick one. He is a once in a generation running back and really may be the best this state has produced since Adrian Peterson. Evans will be an immediate impact freshman wherever he lands.

Mike: It's Zach Evans. I love Sanders' athletic ability, but I'd like to see him become a more natural runner. Evans is probably the best prospect overall I've ever seen. He can do everything on the field, and he's built to carry a workhorse load.

HYPOTHETICALLY, IF NOAH CAIN HAD STAYED IN DENTON, DO YOU THINK HE WOULD STILL BE A FIVE-STAR RECRUIT? — DW1259

EJ: He’s actually a four-star recruit and probably would have remained a four-star had he stayed at Denton Guyer. I think Cain suffered rankings wise from simply being around too long. It happened with Dylan Moses. When he was a senior, he dropped several spots for kind of no reason — Moses is making an early impact at Alabama. Cain was a star as a freshman at Denton Guyer, and his stock hasn’t gone down in my book. It’s actually gone up as he split carries at IMG and is fresh.

Mike: Leaving Guyer was probably the best thing for him, since they would have probably ran him into the ground over his career. Splitting carries at IMG helped to develop him without putting the miles on his body. I think he'd be a four-star guy, and he'd probably be ranked a bit higher because of the production.

WHAT IS THE BACKUP PLAN AT RUNNING BACK SEEING AS TREY SANDERS AND NOAH CAIN ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN? RHAMONDRE STEVENSON HAS COMMITTED TO OU, AND IT SEEMS THAT BAMA MIGHT PURSUE DEONDRICK GLASS IF THEY DON'T GET SANDERS. — EJW0501

EJ: I think we’re in wait and see mode there. The backup plan was Stevenson, but like you mentioned, he picked OU and will be a tough flip. If Texas doesn’t land Cain or Sanders tomorrow, some more names will pop up during the late period. But right now, landing one of those two is the focus.

Mike: The board resets at that point. Texas will need to find someone in JUCO or as a grad transfer, because the available options won't be very appetizing at the high school level.

IS DARWIN BARLOW FROM NEWTON STILL AN OPTION? — BUCKWILD9602

EJ: I don’t think so. Texas evaluated him and hosted him for a visit in the spring. However, I expect him to sign with TCU.

Mike: Barlow should be signing early before he plays for a second straight state championship. Texas looked at him quite a bit in the spring and fall, but in the end they chose to chase the bigger targets.

IS TEXAS CONTENT TO ADD JUST ONE RB THIS CLASS? WOULD ONLY ONE THIS YEAR MAKE IT EASIER TO GET ONE OF THE BIG THREE RBS NEXT YEAR? — DKINNAMON

EJ: Texas really wants two running backs this cycle. But if I were them, I would just go after a JUCO or grad transfer in the late period as opposed to a high school back. The 2020 class is loaded, and Texas needs to really focus on Evans. If that doesn’t work out, Mesquite Poteet’s Seth McGowan is an elite prospect.

Mike: I think they'd like two, but they aren't going to accumulate numbers just because. If they miss out on Cain and Sanders, I expect them to move on to 2020 unless a grad transfer comes out of nowhere.

I AM REALLY HOPING THAT THE HORNS ARE GETTING BRU MCCOY. HOWEVER, BASED ON WHAT WE HAVE HEARD, BRU IS PRETTY MUCH A GONER, ESPECIALLY AFTER THE OV TO SC THIS PAST WEEKEND. DO YOU THINK WE WILL RECRUIT ANOTHER WR (OUTSIDE OF HIGGINS) OR THE STAFF IS FULLY CONTENT WITH JAKE SMITH, MARCUS WASHINGTON AND JORDAN WHITTINGTON? — LNDOHORN

EJ: I wouldn’t say McCoy is a goner. There is still optimism around Austin, and McCoy doesn’t have to sign anything until he announces his decision. But if he head to USC, I think Texas will likely close up show at receiver, especially after landing Kennedy Lewis earlier today.

Mike: I would also say giving up hope on McCoy now would be wrong. I know USC has rebounded, but Texas ran this recruitment as well as they could have. There's a chance things could still work out there. Outside of Bru, I can't see them taking another wide receiver.

AS FAR AS OL, ANY OTHER JUCOS OR GRAD TRANSFERS OUT THERE THAT HAVE NOT BEEN MENTIONED THAT THEY ARE LOOKING AT? ARE THEY CONTENT WITH WHAT THEY HAVE IN THE CLASS RIGHT NOW? — TRINI02

EJ: Not right now. It looks like Texas is going to miss on Andrew Coker and Isaiah Hookfin, making offensive line a major priority for the late period. I would expect a ton of names to pop up in January.

Mike: I think we might see grad transfers pop up more now that the semester is ending. Outside of the guys we've reported, there is no one on the market right now.

WHAT IS CALEB JOHNSON'S INJURY THAT YOU HAVE REFERRED TO, AND HOW MUCH LONGER DO YOU THINK IT MIGHT LIMIT HIM? — RICK ZOLOFT

EJ: Johnson had a labrum injury, and it will sideline him for most of the offseason. He just had surgery last month, and it’s going to take some time for him to recover.

Mike: Labrum injuries can be tough, and the recovery could keep him out through the spring depending on how it goes. I'd expect him to be ready to go in the summer if that's the case.

WHY DO THEY STILL USE FAX MACHINES FOR THEIR LETTERS WITH ALL THE TECHNOLOGY THESE DAYS?

EJ: Haha. I’m not sure. Jacoby Jones did tell me that he is going to email his NLI and had no clue what a fax machine was.

Mike: Fax machines are still used, but a lot of guys are sending PDF versions now. Good thing there are adults around, because I'm not sure a kid nowadays could figure out a fax.

I didn’t think it would take ‘til 11:00 pm for this as someone suggested earlier.

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Who in state compares with Jake Smith or D'Gabriel Floyd? Another terrible take from a poster with a Hall of Fame career in terrible takes. For fuck's sake man. Your ability to shit all over positive things is fucking impressive. 

I have multiple posters that DM me every cycle asking if satya is an aggy troll. That's the position he's reached on this board. 

Edited by texasstrong12