Texas recruiting notes 2019

28 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Two of the best receivers in the country are in your backyard and you miss out on both.  

Need to make a change 

I mean, we should because Meh is bad. But those two were as chock full of extenuating circumstances (neither was a born-and-bred Texan, one was from Columbus and the other was a smart kid who grew up a Florida fan and was very into tree) as it gets. And we got good replacements for both.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

I mean, we should because Meh is bad. But those two were as chock full of extenuating circumstances (neither was a born-and-bred Texan, one was from Columbus and the other was a smart kid who grew up a Florida fan and was very into tree) as it gets. And we got good replacements for both.

WE DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT REPLACEMENTS. WE WANT TO RAGE

3 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Alabama has one WR John Metchie verbally committed.  LSU has one in Trey Palmer.  OU has two, Theo Wease and Trejan Bridges.  tOSU has Garrett Wilson and Jameson Williams.

We have Whittington, Smith, Washington and Lewis, but we are the ones freaking out.  Shit.  

Not freaking out. Simply disappointed that what will be a very good to great WR class could have been even better.

4 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Alabama has one WR John Metchie verbally committed.  LSU has one in Trey Palmer.  OU has two, Theo Wease and Trejan Bridges.  tOSU has Garrett Wilson and Jameson Williams.

We have Whittington, Smith, Washington and Lewis, but we are the ones freaking out.  Shit.  

The top three you mentioned is arguably one of if not the best haul of receivers. Lewis is cake and Bru will be the icing 

45 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Shocker...Fucking tree

Watched Higgins v Westlake in 2018.  Clearly best athlete on field and strong runner, but I don’t recall him being targeted even once as a receiver, which I found very strange for such a highly touted recruit.  Did damage out of wildcat, but I was left wondering if he could run a route.  Will be interesting to see how he eventually fits at tree.  

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You're assuming that he's had his mind made up.

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Honestly, props to Noah for keeping his decision under wraps for this long.

So were you.

*If it’s not, why not wait? Because he set a date? Again, self-inflicted.

Edited by Casual Encounter

3 minutes ago, nozatx said:

Watched Higgins v Westlake in 2018.  Clearly best athlete on field and strong runner, but I don’t recall him being targeted even once as a receiver, which I found very strange for such a highly touted recruit.  Did damage out of wildcat, but I was left wondering if he could run a route.  Will be interesting to see how he eventually fits at tree.  

Arcega-Whiteside 2.0 if he's half the athlete he seems to be.

1 hour ago, Ricky Butler said:

The fact we coveted Waddle and Rondale Moore last year makes me confident Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington are going to be freshman all-americans.

If Jake Smith starts taking snaps from Duvernay, that is saying something with the leap he took this season.

26 minutes ago, nozatx said:

I honestly doubt the kid ever takes a snap as a receiver. My guess is TE in 2 years.

TFB on Shepherd

UPDATE (7:55 PM): Shepherd still hasn’t confirmed if he will or won’t sign tomorrow. But I did hear that Texas A&M, who had been kind of slowed things down with Shepherd recently, has turned up the pressure as signing day nears. Javonne has not indicated to me that he is wavering but I’m not sure what to make of his hesitation in signing early or why he remains undecided about whether he should or should not.

Interesting answer from E.J. regarding the staff's opinion of Glass.

(E.J. Holland) Live Chat: Taking recruiting questions from 8:30-9:30

Only three possible recruits left? Where is the fun?

Texas got two commits the last two days. And ESD is tomorrow. Have fun.

Do we land any one out of Bru, Trey, and Noah?

Noah would be my best guess right now. As Mike reported, he's truly torn. Bru is still a coin flip for me. I'll have more in EJ AD. I'm still hearing UGA for Sanders, but he could always shock the world.

Do you think we get either Cain or Sanders tomorrow? Gut feeling....

I would lean Cain. This is the most optimism I've had on him over the last several days.

Good day or Great Day tomorrow? I think if we get Shepard signed that may take the sting out of most any missed by itself.

I would just say be cautiously optimistic

Any chance they get Hookfin to delay signing in the early period, thus getting more time to work on him? He’s not an EE correct? If not that would seem to be a nice last ditch strategy..

I would be surprised if he doesn't sign with Baylor tomorrow

Can you at least say if the secret visitor was a recruit or not?

Negative

Whats the total number we sign ?

Texas should sign all of the commits tomorrow. We'll see on Shepherd.

Beyond who has already committed and who will sign tomorrow, do you feel there will be any fireworks tomorrow (or some might call it shock)?

Sanders and Cain are the only ones really left on the board. I think if one picks Texas, that would qualify.

are all our current commits onboard to sign tomorrow? if not which ones?

Everyone expect Shepherd, who is a maybe

Noah Cain or not as of now?

Noah still hasn't informed a staff or made a final decision. I honestly don't know. But I'm feeling more optimistic. And I think Texas is too.

Moving away from the Sanders, Cain, McCoy craziness... Are any of the current commits that are expected to sign tomorrow at risk of not qualifying?

I've heard mixed things about Shepherd

So will we know Bru’s decision tomorrow? I’m so confused how his signing is working

You won't either way. I'll have more on his process in EJ AD.

EJ – If it's ESD questions only, is there any update on Shepherd since his recent crypticism? If not ESD only, how are we feeling on Kelee Ringo? I noticed he's visited Texas and talked Texas quite a bit more than most 2020's recently. Could he be the 2020 class' DeGabriel Floyd?

All I've been told on Shepherd is he may sign tomorrow. But his recruitment has been a rollercoaster, so I wouldn't be surprised with any of it. Honestly, it's really worn me down. Great on Ringo. I think it's a Washington-Texas battle. He definitely has the personality to be if he sides with UT.

Based on the program's trajectory and the recruits available, will 2019 or 2020 be the better class?

I think 20 will be the better class. There is more talent across the board in-state, and Texas will be coming off a conference title and Sugar Bowl appearance.

Has your confidence changed on the top 3 left since yesterday morning?

Neutral on McCoy. A little higher on Cain. A little lower on Sanders

What is the question you will be glad not to hear anymore after tomorrow

Who is the secret visitor. There will be a lot of bitching about it tomorrow, though.

Will the secret visitor result in a commit flip?

No flip

What is the backup plan for RB if Sanders or Cain doesn’t sign?

I don't think there is one with Stevenson committed. There has been a lot of Glass chatter, but they aren't all that enamored with him. The plan right now is to keep pushing for Cain and Sanders.

I know everyone here is wanting to land either Sanders or Cain. Say we do land one of them how will that impact us with Evans. The rb room by the time he arrived would be Ingram Cain/sanders and brown. I would think Evans is the type of player who can come in as a freshman and contribute. Thanks

I think Sanders would be more of a negative in terms of other schools negative recruiting Texas. But Evans feels like he's the best back in the country and isn't afraid of competition.

How would you compare DeGabriel Floyd to Malik Jefferson coming out of HS?

I saw Mailk a couple of times even though I wasn't covering Texas at the time. He had the look of an elite pass rusher and was a terror off the edge. I guess it didn't really work out that way, though. Floyd is built like a true college inside backer. He's a freak for his size. I actually like Floyd more.

Who are some Offensive Linemen that may pop up after ESD?

Dawand Jones, who they recently offered. More names will pop up during the late period.

Have recruits ever been rude to you? Or tell you not interested? Or something?

Haha only a handful

I think Texas told Higgins that Bru is coming which makes us full at Wr. So off to Stanford he goes.

Not accurate. Staff wanted Higgins.

Any news on where Demarious Houston stands still and possibly Texas eyeing the monster DE Steven Parker by chance still?

Houston is not an option. Texas could take another look at Parker during the late period.

Are we gonna be excited if the secret recruit chooses Texas. I believe a Mod on TFB said it was a next level recruit.

No

I'm intrigued with Whitner EJ. What's your analysis of him? If I read right, he's a two way player correct? What side of the ball does he want to play? IMG is no slouch program at the highschool level, do you believe he's worth the offer if we do offer him?

I watched IMG this year but didn't notice him. Of course, I wasn't looking out for him either. My IMG guy told him he came in as a complete project but turned into a pretty good DL this year. He said Whitner would be a steal for somebody.

If you’re allowed to disclose the information. When did Higgins ultimately decide on Stanford? Also appreciate how hard you work to get us as much content as possible!

Not until today actually. It was always Stanford in his heart, but he got cold feet. He told Texas his decision an hour before he pulled.

Read someone said Sheppard could flip to A&M tomorrow. Any chance of this ?

Haven't heard of any concern on the Texas side

EJ what percentage would you put on Cain? Better than this mornings 52/48?

50/50

This has to be legit, you would never do all of this for absolutely nothing. Not your reporting style. At least I hope not. We'll be friends again after tomorrow EJ.

I would temper your expectations. I haven't said anything other than you'll laugh and the staff wants to keep it under wraps. I'm on;y doing this because the staff wants to reveal tomorrow.

Probably more of a team question, but do you think Derrian Brown gets playing time next year, or is he in need of a red-shirt?

I think he needs a redshirt to get his build right. But he might be forced into action with a lack of depth.

The major kink in our resurgence is the lack of 5* talent on the OL and DL. It’s great to see us pursue these dynamic RBs and WRs but I’d trade the lot of them for dynamic OL and DL. What is UT doing to correct this next year and beyond? Are we in the running for major OL and DL talent? Are we pursuing them as heavily as we’ve pursued Sanders, Cain and McCoy this year?

Texas is doing everything it can to land top talent in the trenches. 20 is pivotal as there is a ton of in-state talent along both lines. If they don't get big-time guys upfront next cycle, they never will.

Do you think Herman changes his style and pushes more for early commitments after Jimbo had such good success in doing so this class?

This staff is calculated and won't change

Besides Sweat and Warren, think anyone else could move up another star? Or move up in general?

I feel like Jake and Gabe really need bumps...

If you could ask Herman one question about how he recruits that you don't understand or find different than other staffs, what would it be?

Why they don't make a huge effort to have more of a D-FW presence. I feel like they would connect better with the kids there. It's very business like. Houston has so many handlers and extra people. It's like the wild west. It blows my mind they don't do better in D-FW.

What about the OL transfer candidate out of Arizona?

There are a couple they are evaluating, but it hasn't gotten past the first stage.

He was also dirty as fuck and kicked out of the game for too many personal fouls.

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Interesting answer from E.J. regarding the staff's opinion of Glass.

(E.J. Holland) Live Chat: Taking recruiting questions from 8:30-9:30

Reveal hidden contents

Only three possible recruits left? Where is the fun?

Texas got two commits the last two days. And ESD is tomorrow. Have fun.

Do we land any one out of Bru, Trey, and Noah?

Noah would be my best guess right now. As Mike reported, he's truly torn. Bru is still a coin flip for me. I'll have more in EJ AD. I'm still hearing UGA for Sanders, but he could always shock the world.

Do you think we get either Cain or Sanders tomorrow? Gut feeling....

I would lean Cain. This is the most optimism I've had on him over the last several days.

Good day or Great Day tomorrow? I think if we get Shepard signed that may take the sting out of most any missed by itself.

I would just say be cautiously optimistic

Any chance they get Hookfin to delay signing in the early period, thus getting more time to work on him? He’s not an EE correct? If not that would seem to be a nice last ditch strategy..

I would be surprised if he doesn't sign with Baylor tomorrow

Can you at least say if the secret visitor was a recruit or not?

Negative

Whats the total number we sign ?

Texas should sign all of the commits tomorrow. We'll see on Shepherd.

Beyond who has already committed and who will sign tomorrow, do you feel there will be any fireworks tomorrow (or some might call it shock)?

Sanders and Cain are the only ones really left on the board. I think if one picks Texas, that would qualify.

are all our current commits onboard to sign tomorrow? if not which ones?

Everyone expect Shepherd, who is a maybe

Noah Cain or not as of now?

Noah still hasn't informed a staff or made a final decision. I honestly don't know. But I'm feeling more optimistic. And I think Texas is too.

Moving away from the Sanders, Cain, McCoy craziness... Are any of the current commits that are expected to sign tomorrow at risk of not qualifying?

I've heard mixed things about Shepherd

So will we know Bru’s decision tomorrow? I’m so confused how his signing is working

You won't either way. I'll have more on his process in EJ AD.

EJ – If it's ESD questions only, is there any update on Shepherd since his recent crypticism? If not ESD only, how are we feeling on Kelee Ringo? I noticed he's visited Texas and talked Texas quite a bit more than most 2020's recently. Could he be the 2020 class' DeGabriel Floyd?

All I've been told on Shepherd is he may sign tomorrow. But his recruitment has been a rollercoaster, so I wouldn't be surprised with any of it. Honestly, it's really worn me down. Great on Ringo. I think it's a Washington-Texas battle. He definitely has the personality to be if he sides with UT.

Based on the program's trajectory and the recruits available, will 2019 or 2020 be the better class?

I think 20 will be the better class. There is more talent across the board in-state, and Texas will be coming off a conference title and Sugar Bowl appearance.

Has your confidence changed on the top 3 left since yesterday morning?

Neutral on McCoy. A little higher on Cain. A little lower on Sanders

What is the question you will be glad not to hear anymore after tomorrow

Who is the secret visitor. There will be a lot of bitching about it tomorrow, though.

Will the secret visitor result in a commit flip?

No flip

What is the backup plan for RB if Sanders or Cain doesn’t sign?

I don't think there is one with Stevenson committed. There has been a lot of Glass chatter, but they aren't all that enamored with him. The plan right now is to keep pushing for Cain and Sanders.

I know everyone here is wanting to land either Sanders or Cain. Say we do land one of them how will that impact us with Evans. The rb room by the time he arrived would be Ingram Cain/sanders and brown. I would think Evans is the type of player who can come in as a freshman and contribute. Thanks

I think Sanders would be more of a negative in terms of other schools negative recruiting Texas. But Evans feels like he's the best back in the country and isn't afraid of competition.

How would you compare DeGabriel Floyd to Malik Jefferson coming out of HS?

I saw Mailk a couple of times even though I wasn't covering Texas at the time. He had the look of an elite pass rusher and was a terror off the edge. I guess it didn't really work out that way, though. Floyd is built like a true college inside backer. He's a freak for his size. I actually like Floyd more.

Who are some Offensive Linemen that may pop up after ESD?

Dawand Jones, who they recently offered. More names will pop up during the late period.

Have recruits ever been rude to you? Or tell you not interested? Or something?

Haha only a handful

I think Texas told Higgins that Bru is coming which makes us full at Wr. So off to Stanford he goes.

Not accurate. Staff wanted Higgins.

Any news on where Demarious Houston stands still and possibly Texas eyeing the monster DE Steven Parker by chance still?

Houston is not an option. Texas could take another look at Parker during the late period.

Are we gonna be excited if the secret recruit chooses Texas. I believe a Mod on TFB said it was a next level recruit.

No

I'm intrigued with Whitner EJ. What's your analysis of him? If I read right, he's a two way player correct? What side of the ball does he want to play? IMG is no slouch program at the highschool level, do you believe he's worth the offer if we do offer him?

I watched IMG this year but didn't notice him. Of course, I wasn't looking out for him either. My IMG guy told him he came in as a complete project but turned into a pretty good DL this year. He said Whitner would be a steal for somebody.

If you’re allowed to disclose the information. When did Higgins ultimately decide on Stanford? Also appreciate how hard you work to get us as much content as possible!

Not until today actually. It was always Stanford in his heart, but he got cold feet. He told Texas his decision an hour before he pulled.

Read someone said Sheppard could flip to A&M tomorrow. Any chance of this ?

Haven't heard of any concern on the Texas side

EJ what percentage would you put on Cain? Better than this mornings 52/48?

50/50

This has to be legit, you would never do all of this for absolutely nothing. Not your reporting style. At least I hope not. We'll be friends again after tomorrow EJ.

I would temper your expectations. I haven't said anything other than you'll laugh and the staff wants to keep it under wraps. I'm on;y doing this because the staff wants to reveal tomorrow.

Probably more of a team question, but do you think Derrian Brown gets playing time next year, or is he in need of a red-shirt?

I think he needs a redshirt to get his build right. But he might be forced into action with a lack of depth.

The major kink in our resurgence is the lack of 5* talent on the OL and DL. It’s great to see us pursue these dynamic RBs and WRs but I’d trade the lot of them for dynamic OL and DL. What is UT doing to correct this next year and beyond? Are we in the running for major OL and DL talent? Are we pursuing them as heavily as we’ve pursued Sanders, Cain and McCoy this year?

Texas is doing everything it can to land top talent in the trenches. 20 is pivotal as there is a ton of in-state talent along both lines. If they don't get big-time guys upfront next cycle, they never will.

Do you think Herman changes his style and pushes more for early commitments after Jimbo had such good success in doing so this class?

This staff is calculated and won't change

Besides Sweat and Warren, think anyone else could move up another star? Or move up in general?

I feel like Jake and Gabe really need bumps...

If you could ask Herman one question about how he recruits that you don't understand or find different than other staffs, what would it be?

Why they don't make a huge effort to have more of a D-FW presence. I feel like they would connect better with the kids there. It's very business like. Houston has so many handlers and extra people. It's like the wild west. It blows my mind they don't do better in D-FW.

What about the OL transfer candidate out of Arizona?

There are a couple they are evaluating, but it hasn't gotten past the first stage.

Not really, come to think about it. Everything that has transpired in the last two days was predicted by Surly. The staff's opinion of Glass is and has been known.

Edited by UDontKnow