Texas recruiting notes 2019

3 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

If we don't get Cain, my respect for Drayton goes down dramatically. He's recruited exactly 2 RB's in Ingram and Brown. Good recruits, but not what you expect a rain maker to bring in. I.e. Cain, Sanders, Emery, etc. If he's as good as advertised, we would be in a lot more elite kids top 3. 

I believe that Jason Washington was the lead recruiter for Derrian Brown (not Drayton). Especially since J-Wash was already recruiting GA for Kenyatta Watson. So far Drayton doesn’t quite look like the rainmaker we all hoped for, but there’s plenty of time for that to change ... 

• Like 1

E.J. Holland: Best case, worst case scenarios for Texas on early signing day

Grab a coffee this morning and get ready for the busiest day of the recruiting season. With early signing day here, the Longhorns are looking add some flavor to their nationally ranked recruiting class. So how will today go? Well, it seems like there are always some twists and turns. Here is a look at the best and worst case scenarios for the Longhorns.

Best Case

Texas makes a splash by landing one of the elite running backs on the board. Whether it’s Trey Sanders or Noah Cain, Texas needs to close with one of them. The Longhorns want two backs in this cycle and nabbing one of the elites would be a huge recruiting win. While Isaiah Hookfin is trending to Baylor, the Longhorns pull off an upset and get him back onboard. Remember, Mikey Grandy was committed to UCLA last cycle before signing with Texas. The Longhorns have some magic up their sleeves.

Texas earns a signature from four-star offensive line commit Javonne Shepherd. Raise your hand if you’re tired of this circus. Cool, I am too. Inking Shepherd during the early period would ensure the Longhorns are getting one of the state’s top prospects in the trenches. The Longhorns find a way to create more fireworks by landing a big surprise that nobody was talking about. And of course, they get five-star athlete Bru McCoy to sign his NLI behind the scenes.

Worst Case

Texas misses on both Sanders and Cain today, leaving the Longhorns scrambling for a JUCO or grad transfer during the late period. Missing on both would be a huge miss for Texas as it went all on the two recruitments. Hookfin signs with Baylor. Whoof. That’s not a very good miss, especially since the Longhorns had him on campus last. Shepherd waits until the late period. The circus will continue, and of course, Texas A&M will continue to be a major threat. Two more months of this. I’m not sure we can all take it.

Bru McCoy signs with USC and keeps it under wraps. All that time, resources and hope wasted. No surprise signees.

What’s really going to happen

The truth is somewhere in the middle. Texas is still in the mix for both Sanders and Cain, but it’s coming down to the wire. I wouldn’t be surprised if they land one or miss on both. It’s really a toss up. I’m expect Hookfin to sign with Baylor, but Shepherd could sign with Texas today. If Shepherd doesn’t, that means Texas is only getting one offensive line signee — Tyler Johnson — during the early period. That’s cause for concern.

I feel like Bru McCoy will play it safe and sign financial aid papers as opposed to an NLI tomorrow. As an early enrollee, he doesn’t have to make a decision today. Remember, he is set to publicly announce at the All-American Bowl on Jan. 5. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is one surprise signee. But I don’t expect it to be a big one. Last year, it was punter Ryan Bujcevski.

E.J. Holland: Can Texas land an elite RB during early signing day?

Early signing day is officially here. And of course the question on everybody’s mind is simple: Will there be fireworks this morning? Look guys, five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy is not making his decision until January, offensive linemen Andrew Coker and Isaiah Hookfin don’t appear to be viable options and there doesn’t appear to be many if any surprises in store. But there are two major recruits making their decisions today — elite IMG Academy (Fla.) running backs Noah Cain and Trey Sanders.

Let’s go ahead and start with Sanders. The five-star prospect has been interested in Texas since early spring. He made an unofficial visit over the summer and returned for an official visit in September. Sanders loves UT running backs coach Stan Drayton and believes he can come in and be the bell cow in Austin as a true freshman. Sanders is also enamored with the ‘shock the world’ factor that comes with Texas. While the Longhorns could still pull a rabbit out of its hat, the safe bet is on SEC schools Alabama and Georgia. Sanders, a former Alabama commit, is originally from Florida and has a ton of SEC influence around him. On top of that, his family has wanted him closer to home throughout the recruiting process. Alabama and Georgia just make more sense at this time, but you can’t exactly count out Texas.

Cain is kind of the opposite. An early enrollee, Cain is extremely intelligent and has taken a calculated approach with his recruitment. Cain, who played some of his high school ball at Denton Guyer in the Dallas-area, has been high on Texas since the beginning of his recruitment. In fact, Texas has been considered the frontrunner on multiple occasions, but for some reason, the Longhorns haven’t been able to close. Penn State might have the minor edge going into the day as Cain feels like he is a great fit for the Big 10, and the Nittany Lions have pitched him on becoming the next Saquon Barkley. However, staying closer to home is really weighing on his mind — his mother lives in Dallas and father lives in Baton Rouge.

So will Texas land one of the two? Well, I can’t really say for sure. Right now, I think it’s more of a toss up. But Texas needs to find a way to get one. There aren’t many options after these two studs, which means the Longhorns will be scrambling during the late period. While there is a lot of in-state talent at the position in 2020, striking out on both would be a big swing and miss this cycle.

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Annnnd another Pedd Steak CB for Cain.

Whittington IN!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the Cain talk is classic click bait. I hope I am wrong. 

I think everyone committed signs except Shepard. 

Edited by Newy25

11 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Alabama has one WR John Metchie verbally committed.  LSU has one in Trey Palmer.  OU has two, Theo Wease and Trejan Bridges.  tOSU has Garrett Wilson and Jameson Williams.

We have Whittington, Smith, Washington and Lewis, but we are the ones freaking out.  Shit.  

well, here is why for Bama:

P63yxo.png

to be clear, that is their #1, 2, 3, 5 receiving yards guys that are freshmen. 

Kief has a total of 4 catches this year, Marks has zero. 

I think they are going to be ok...

1 minute ago, NoName said:

well, here is why for Bama:

P63yxo.png

to be clear, that is their #1, 2, 3, 5 receiving yards guys that are freshmen. 

Kief has a total of 4 catches this year, Marks has zero. 

I think they are going to be ok...

Only one 5 star in that group? How disappointing for them.