Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

70% seems pretty good to me when you're predicting teenager decisions up to a year away from decision day. It's easy to be more accurate when you wait until the last second.

Yep, Hamm used to game the system by doing this all the time. The percentages without any context are pretty useless.

8 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Being better than EJ is a pretty low fucking bar.

you don't seem to understand how percentages work. higher = better. 

he is pretty well regarded and i believe for the last 3-4 years he has won their "most accurate" CB predictor.

again, is it perfect? no. but is getting Fong'd a pretty clear indicator? yes. it is. 

is he better than just about everyone else doing it? yes, he is. 

1 minute ago, NoName said:

you don't seem to understand how percentages work. higher = better. 

he is pretty well regarded and i believe for the last 3-4 years he has won their "most accurate" CB predictor.

again, is it perfect? no. but is getting Fong'd a pretty clear indicator? yes. it is. 

is he better than just about everyone else doing it? yes, he is. 

Can you not read? Plenty of people have posted this--The percentages don't take into account when you made the prediction, so you can be wrong all year on a recruitment, change it at the last minute and it still helps your percentage.

They have a points system that's supposed to take timing into account though.

50 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Hamm has been in another twitter slap fight with Texas recruiting 9.95ers because he is taking screenshots off of message boards and sending them to FWK trying to impact Shepherd's recruitment at the 11th hour.  

What a fucking loser. This is why your wife left you, Taylor. Also, you have a girl's name.

• Like 1

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

Can you not read? Plenty of people have posted this--The percentages don't take into account when you made the prediction, so you can be wrong all year on a recruitment, change it at the last minute and it still helps your percentage.

They have a points system that's supposed to take timing into account though.

hows this, CB's aren't perfect. but getting Fong'd is worth more when it comes to making assumptions than most. 

let's end the CB talk at this point.

Just now, satyanash said:

Whitner's the perfect example of a guy who should have waited until NSD2. No question he would have gotten some bigger offers.

I think it goes to show that a lot of these kids really don't like the recruiting process by the time NSD arrives, and they're ready to sign and get it over with.

That interview with the IMG prospects in The Athletic was illuminating.

• Like 2

Meanwhile in LotusHorn's fantasy world... (on Sanders)

Texas has another Grandy situation.

Two of them.

Noah Cain and Trey Sanders.

Both will come down to the wire (last hour).

In Trey’s case he has a soft decision. He will be calling coaches to give them the news and those who are important (BC for instance).

Nick Saban will get one last conversation. He has a promise of playing for a national title. History suggests he can follow through. The same with the Heisman RB promise.

Kirby Smart also gets to promise NFL grooming. Maybe he pitches that with Sanders he can finally beat Saban. Maybe he promises always coming in second.

Trey may change his mind based on pitches today.

Noah Cain DOES affect this recruitment, just probably not how you might expect. If Noah picks Texas, how hard does Texas go after Sanders in the final hour? Because between 10AM and 11AM this will be finally decided.

What have I heard? My source has likely given me the last update before the announcement. The only update was a text. You won’t like it. I cautiously say DONT READ TOO MUCH INTO IT.

“Mom is happy.”

That’s all I’ve got to go on. Could mean Georgia like so many say. However, she could just be happy Trey has made a decision. She likes Herman and Texas.

My Texas sources don’t feel optimistic. They’ve all pretty much given up thinking Georgia has it almost signed, sealed, and delivered. So we should all be ready for the worst.

I feel good still. Texas isn’t out of it and has one last at bat so to speak. I know Trey wants to be given the best situation to grow as a black man in today’s world. Alabama and Georgia don’t come to mind when I think of a good place for that to happen.

Chance of getting Sanders? 40% mainly due to Texas people being down.

My gut? One minute it’s Texas the next Georgia. I’m going to be stubborn and pick Texas. So hate me if it doesn’t happen, but I’ll be as upset and down as any of you if he picks any other school.

Texas will have thrown the kitchen sink by the time 12pm rolls around. Like Grandy last year ANYTHING could happen and probably will.

Buckle up, you’re in for a ride.

Edited by Machinator

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I think it goes to show that a lot of these kids really don't like the recruiting process by the time NSD arrives, and they're ready to sign and get it over with.

That interview with the IMG prospects in The Athletic was illuminating.

Unfortunately, most offensive linemen are like this. I am not sure exactly what we are going to be doing there. I am sure we are going to try to get to 3 guys then make sure we look at grad transfers and really try to sign 5 quality players next cycle. 

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Best case, worst case scenarios for Texas on early signing day

Reveal hidden contents

Grab a coffee this morning and get ready for the busiest day of the recruiting season. With early signing day here, the Longhorns are looking add some flavor to their nationally ranked recruiting class. So how will today go? Well, it seems like there are always some twists and turns. Here is a look at the best and worst case scenarios for the Longhorns.

Best Case

Texas makes a splash by landing one of the elite running backs on the board. Whether it’s Trey Sanders or Noah Cain, Texas needs to close with one of them. The Longhorns want two backs in this cycle and nabbing one of the elites would be a huge recruiting win. While Isaiah Hookfin is trending to Baylor, the Longhorns pull off an upset and get him back onboard. Remember, Mikey Grandy was committed to UCLA last cycle before signing with Texas. The Longhorns have some magic up their sleeves.

Texas earns a signature from four-star offensive line commit Javonne Shepherd. Raise your hand if you’re tired of this circus. Cool, I am too. Inking Shepherd during the early period would ensure the Longhorns are getting one of the state’s top prospects in the trenches. The Longhorns find a way to create more fireworks by landing a big surprise that nobody was talking about. And of course, they get five-star athlete Bru McCoy to sign his NLI behind the scenes.

Worst Case

Texas misses on both Sanders and Cain today, leaving the Longhorns scrambling for a JUCO or grad transfer during the late period. Missing on both would be a huge miss for Texas as it went all on the two recruitments. Hookfin signs with Baylor. Whoof. That’s not a very good miss, especially since the Longhorns had him on campus last. Shepherd waits until the late period. The circus will continue, and of course, Texas A&M will continue to be a major threat. Two more months of this. I’m not sure we can all take it.

Bru McCoy signs with USC and keeps it under wraps. All that time, resources and hope wasted. No surprise signees.

What’s really going to happen

The truth is somewhere in the middle. Texas is still in the mix for both Sanders and Cain, but it’s coming down to the wire. I wouldn’t be surprised if they land one or miss on both. It’s really a toss up. I’m expect Hookfin to sign with Baylor, but Shepherd could sign with Texas today. If Shepherd doesn’t, that means Texas is only getting one offensive line signee — Tyler Johnson — during the early period. That’s cause for concern.

I feel like Bru McCoy will play it safe and sign financial aid papers as opposed to an NLI tomorrow. As an early enrollee, he doesn’t have to make a decision today. Remember, he is set to publicly announce at the All-American Bowl on Jan. 5. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is one surprise signee. But I don’t expect it to be a big one. Last year, it was punter Ryan Bujcevski.

EJ is such a complete fucking dumbass, so what we all expected is the "worst case" and he hedged that because he's an idiot.