Sheila Jackson Lee is terrible at this job

atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

She's been a black representative in a majority black area of town for 30 years, "Fighting for her constituents." Those kind of people don't get ousted easily, if ever, short of scandal. It's emarassing, but it's basically how politics work in this country, regardless of side of the aisle. 

I agree with this. It’s just embarrassing to see people like her representing their constituents and doing little to nothing for them. All the while they enrich themselves. I look at a complete toolbag like the esteemed cadaveresque person representing Iowa in the senate. They’ll vote Grassley in even if he’s six feet under and on the ballot against one of those awful “demoncrats” or whatever dumb moniker they come up with for the party not filled with traitors.

Amanda Edwards was a great candidate and would have received my vote if I lived in SJL’s district, but she lost the primary by >20 points. The only shot of getting SJL out of Congress was to elect her Mayor of Houston.

18 minutes ago, royiv said:

Amanda Edwards was a great candidate and would have received my vote if I lived in SJL’s district, but she lost the primary by >20 points. The only shot of getting SJL out of Congress was to elect her Mayor of Houston.

Fuck that notion too. I voted happily for whitmire after I voted for gallego. 

What can I say though, foolish thinkers lust for stupidity!

The lack of any real self-awareness here is honestly pretty humorous. This woman has no business being part of society. Get her a rubber room and call it a day.

She’s almost certainly doing less damage as a rep than as mayor. That was a huge bullet dodged.

She’s embarrassing and she’s hell on her staff but as a voting member is pretty much doing what she got sent there to do. Long term incumbents with marginal ambitions are rarely the worst problems in the House. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

MY SHOE! You found it and fixed it!

High Five Best Friends GIF by reactionseditor

Apparently they were out of production for years or something and are now back in production. Have been called Wallabees and Shacres.  I had the same shoes in the 80s, and am still not sure why my mom got them for me (I wasn’t asking for them), but these days you can get them in more than one color (Amazon has a lot of colors listed).  I’m tempted.

• Drool 1

Recant: "We now know the sun is not made of cheddar cheese.  But it was, I'd have a piping hot patty melt and wash it down with a tall, cool Budweiser beer."  

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

She’s almost certainly doing less damage as a rep than as mayor. That was a huge bullet dodged.
She’s embarrassing and she’s hell on her staff but as a voting member is pretty much doing what she got sent there to do. Long term incumbents with marginal ambitions are rarely the worst problems in the House. 
She's an outlier that gives great fodder to the right to paint all Dems with a broad brush of stupidity with plenty of racism thrown in the narrative. My parents loved clowning on her, and with good reason. But it was fueled by Rush aligning her with all of his welfare queen bullshit. Tricky because, again she is terrible, enables terrible critics and racist fuckheads. They aren't wrong in the criticism but the methodology is gross.

Posted (edited)

I don't think the methodology is all that bad.  But again, some of you know her far better than I do because you live in/near her district.  She's a fucking idiot.  But to be fair, there's 535 members of Congress.  They are on the whole, more educated and intelligent, than the average American.  But 535 people in any building, you're gonna have some serious dumb asses.  

Here's the difference to me, I see/hear/read plenty of Democratic voters making fun of her and questioning her validity to stay in office.  Obviously, many more Republicans as well.  But y'all's party and you as supporters of it are at least willing to say "she's of questionable cognitive ability and quite embarrassing."  For that, I give you credit. 

The big canyon I see is that when a MTG or Boebert says even more insane shit, their voting base says, "Well, you just don't like it that they call it like they see it."  

That's all this really ever came down to for me.  I was pretty involved in politics for 10 years, sat out 2017 & 2018.  And then the embrace of and excusing of grave, grave stupidity became commonplace.  That's when I knew we were crossing the Rubicon.  We've always had morons in Congress.  But it was when stupidity became validated and nearly held as a virtue by smart people that I know and love---that was when the darkness descended upon us.  I can deal with the corruption---cost of doing business in a great country.  The cruel legislation is for another thread.  But when we can go from laughing at shit like "going to the sun" tp making stupidity a cornerstone of our Republic because one party gave 35% of American adults, 5% more validation that they were just as important than ever.  That was the drug, that was the kick, that was our prize lack of imagination.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well I guess we have no other choice than to keep voting for her. Anyone,  even if they have an R after their name would fuck it up way worse. She couldn't even come close to carrying the city as a whole. 

I want to post about my hatred for career politicians (politicians in general), but it's after 2am and I have to get up in the morning and actually solve problems.

We are doomed.

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

High Five Best Friends GIF by reactionseditor

Apparently they were out of production for years or something and are now back in production. Have been called Wallabees and Shacres.  I had the same shoes in the 80s, and am still not sure why my mom got them for me (I wasn’t asking for them), but these days you can get them in more than one color (Amazon has a lot of colors listed).  I’m tempted.

If I were to do the complete RDCanecutter-in-1978 remake, I'd need the shoes, jeans with the knees knocked out, hippy brass belt buckle in shape of guitar, moldy flannel shirt, and lush Warren-Zevon-ish haircut meticulously parted in the middle. The part in the middle is now the width of my head.

SJL is horrible and an ineffective legislator. Perhaps she helps out her district from behind the scenes but I doubt that is possible because she would be bragging about that on TV.

Where she appears to succeed is with her personal relationships. It's how she can get the Clintons or Pelosi to campaign for her, sometimes even in person.