2019 NFL Combine thread: Boyd, Davis, LJH, Omenihu, and Gary Johnson receive invites

Machinator

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The little things? He's not a great route runner, he does catch the ball well though.

That shuttle is underwhelming, he'll need a strong pro day to get drafted.

I mean, the dude did put up a 1,000 yard season with Collin Johnson and Duvernay on the field (who are also pretty good WR's) somehow. Just being able to catch the ball isn't all that's required to do that in big time college football. 

10 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The little things? He's not a great route runner, he does catch the ball well though.

That shuttle is underwhelming, he'll need a strong pro day to get drafted.

He didn't catch the ball well today, I don't think. Read a tweet that said he had multiple drops during drills.

43 minutes ago, texifornia said:

How's that shuttle, comparatively?

Also, not to knock the kid, but all those talking about his work ethic do remember he's been suspended a couple times, right?

It's terrible.  He tested terrible and frankly, he may be drafted as a TE developmental project now.... if he's drafted.  I know that sucks to say (write), but his tests are worse than anticipated and he didn't have high expectations.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

What the hell? Iowa's tight end Noah Fant did a 6.81, and he's... well, a tight end

You say some really stupid stuff in your never ending efforts to be a pessimist. He’s a freakish 1st round TE that ran a 4.51 40 and has a 40” vert. Having a slower 3 cone than him isn’t that bad. LJH was roughly average for WRs at the combine in shuttle and 3 cone, which isn’t bad  at his height. People are overreacting to his numbers. He did well at 3 cone and shuttle for his height, both of which are more applicable to playing slot than the 40.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It's terrible.  He tested terrible and frankly, he may be drafted as a TE developmental project now.... if he's drafted.  I know that sucks to say (write), but his tests are worse than anticipated and he didn't have high expectations.

It’s really not. Like I said above, his shuttle and 3 cone were both about middle of the pack for WRs at the combine, and with LJH being 6’4, it’s above average for his height. Folks on here and on twitter keep talking about his 40 and bench, when drills like 3 cone and shuttle are way more applicable. People focus on the wrong drills every year.

Combine darling, DK Metcalf ran a 7.38 3 cone and a 4.5 shuttle, which are both fucking terrible: bottom 5 of all WRs at the combine this year. Yetno one talks about those and Metcalf will get drastically overdrafted for his production and meaningful combine numbers (hint: not bench press). His 40 was great, but his shuttle and 3 cone far outweigh the positive of his 40.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

It’s not classless....hell we all laughed last year when the OU lineman got called out for his miserable combine performance. LJ made a mistake in leaving, and his 1st job interview didn’t go well. Facts are facts

This is stupid. His combine was nowhere near as bad, and staying another year at texas wouldn’t have changed anything. He would’ve ran a slow 40 at next year’s combine too. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Combine darling, DK Metcalf ran a 7.38 3 cone and a 4.5 shuttle, which are both fucking terrible: bottom 5 of all WRs at the combine this year. Yetno one talks about those and Metcalf will get drastically overdrafted for his production and meaningful combine numbers (hint: not bench press). His 40 was great, but his shuttle and 3 cone far outweigh the positive of his 40.

You conveniently forgot to mention his 40.5" vertical, which is a) outstanding and b) also very relevant for a WR. He outjumped LJH by seven full inches.

Edited by satyanash

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

You conveniently forgot to mention his 40.5" vertical, which is a) outstanding and b) also very relevant for a WR.

Haha sure. He had a good vert. So he’s explosive straight line but terrible if you ask him to cut in any direction. Point is, people are losing their minds onTwitter about him when he actually had a fairly meh combine when you look at all his measurables combined. 

And compared to 2018 WRs, he would’ve had the worst 3 cone and second worst shuttle.

Edited by Burt Macklin

52 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Haha sure. He had a good vert. So he’s explosive straight line but terrible if you ask him to cut in any direction. Point is, people are losing their minds onTwitter about him when he actually had a fairly meh combine when you look at all his measurables combined. 

And compared to 2018 WRs, he would’ve had the worst 3 cone and second worst shuttle.

Burt.... When do you predict LJH gets drafted?

Also, anybody know what NFL coaches Herman is good friends with.... maybe put in a good word or two for LJH??

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Burt.... When do you predict LJH gets drafted?

Also, anybody know what NFL coaches Herman is good friends with.... maybe put in a good word or two for LJH??

I’d probably say 5-7 at this point. He may go a little higher if he can improve his 40 to like a 4.6 on his pro day. Regardless, I think he’ll be a great value for some team. I don’t like the Pats, but I’d like to see LJH go there cuz I think he’d kill it with Brady and Belichrk is on record as saying he thinks the 40 is stupid, so he may see real value in a guy like LJH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

You say some really stupid stuff in your never ending efforts to be a pessimist. He’s a freakish 1st round TE that ran a 4.51 40 and has a 40” vert. Having a slower 3 cone than him isn’t that bad. LJH was roughly average for WRs at the combine in shuttle and 3 cone, which isn’t bad  at his height. People are overreacting to his numbers. He did well at 3 cone and shuttle for his height, both of which are more applicable to playing slot than the 40.

It’s really not. Like I said above, his shuttle and 3 cone were both about middle of the pack for WRs at the combine, and with LJH being 6’4, it’s above average for his height. Folks on here and on twitter keep talking about his 40 and bench, when drills like 3 cone and shuttle are way more applicable. People focus on the wrong drills every year.

Out of 42 participants, he was:

25T in bench press

33T in vertical

28T in broad jump

--------

17T in 3 cone (only 29 ran)

21T in 20 yard shuttle (only 33 ran)

37th in 40 (only 37 ran; he was last by over a tenth of a second)

____

It was a bad workout for him and no amount of rationalizing makes it any better.  It wasn't only that he didn't grade in the top half of any drill, it's he was terrible across the board.  Almost all Texas fans want LJH to crush it at the next level, but this was a bad day.  He's probably accepted better than you have.  He also was poor in the gauntlet but was better in some other drills showing off his body control.  The combine doesn't have to define him, but it won't help his draft status.  I imagine some scouts will now look at him as a move TE developmental prospect, who they can add 40 lbs to in 2 years and hope it doesn't slow him down too much.  I hope he's not drafted as such but it may be his best way to get on the field.

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Out of 42 participants, he was:

25T in bench press

33T in vertical

28T in broad jump

--------

17T in 3 cone (only 29 ran)

21T in 20 yard shuttle (only 33 ran)

37th in 40 (only 37 ran; he was last by over a tenth of a second)

____

It was a bad workout for him and no amount of rationalizing makes it any better.  It wasn't only that he didn't grade in the top half of any drill, it's he was terrible across the board.  Almost all Texas fans want LJH to crush it at the next level, but this was a bad day.  He's probably accepted better than you have.  He also was poor in the gauntlet but was better in some other drills showing off his body control.  The combine doesn't have to define him, but it won't help his draft status.  I imagine some scouts will now look at him as a move TE developmental prospect, who they can add 40 lbs to in 2 years and hope it doesn't slow him down too much.  I hope he's not drafted as such but it may be his best way to get on the field.

No one’s saying he had a good day, but you were wrong to compare him to this guy. They’re not even in the same ballpark.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It has been delightful watching NFL people act like Ole Miss somehow screwed up because Metcalf's numbers were only third-best on their WR roster. 

It's almost like the combine is an imperfect yardstick or something.

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It has been delightful watching NFL people act like Ole Miss somehow screwed up because Metcalf's numbers were only third-best on their WR roster. 

It's almost like the combine is an imperfect yardstick or something.

The disparity between his 40/vert and shuttle/3 cone is insane. I’ve never seen that before, although with how jacked he is, it’s not that surprising.

the funny part is he needs to slim down In order to become better at football,  but that could lower his precious bench reps...

If things play out like I hope they do and John Burt has a breakthrough senior year...It will be hilarious listening to the pundits drool over his combine performance when Collin Johnson has a LJH like performance (probably a little better) and Burt kills it. There is more to this football stuff than being a great athlete. I really hope LJH gets a shot to prove this day was irrelevant. And to be fair, as disappointed as many are, I know you guys still do too. Either way, LJH played a huge roll in turning the tide for this program back to national relevance. 

14 hours ago, naija said:

who was the last Texas prospect to truly light it up, limiting to pure football guys only?

I’d say marquies Goodwin and his 4.25. He didn’t really have the best career at Texas, especially when how consider what he’s doing in the NFL. That 40 time got him drafted in the 3rd round.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Those numbers are absolutely absurd, yet the better he tests, the more damning his lack of production becomes.

21 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This is a great visual representation of what I was talking about last night. I couldn’t imagine taking a WR with that bad of a shuttle and 3 cone AND terrible production in college in the top half of the first round, yet that’s where a bunch of people seem to be projecting him now. 

• Like 1