Game 25: Texas vs. Kansas State, 8 PM, ESPN2

Machinator

3 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I won’t necessarily argue with that because scoreboard. But if we hadn’t thrown up so many got damned threes for no reason this might be a different conversation.

K-State played almost the entire first half in man, but switched to zone with a minute to go for our final two possessions. At that point, we were 2-for-5 from BTA. We missed three 3s on those final two possessions, and then shot 2 for 11 from deep in the second half.

Roach, Coleman, and Ramey are great against man cuz they can get by their guy and get to the rim whenever, but if they aren't hitting from outside, we're fucked when we play a zone.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

3 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I won’t necessarily argue with that because scoreboard. But if we hadn’t thrown up so many got damned threes for no reason this might be a different conversation.

Turnovers and poor defense also contributed to Horns loss tonight.

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Weber isn't exactly a good example of getting a coach you want after firing Shaka 4 years in. Shaka is likely going to have a better resume than Weber did in his first 5 years at K-State. 

yes I know, the whole point was that Bruce Weber sucks and our coach isn't any better than he is really.  that is my point.

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

K-State played almost the entire first half in man, but switched to zone with a minute to go for our final two possessions. At that point, we were 2-for-5 from BTA. We missed three 3s on those final two possessions, and then shot 2 for 11 from deep in the second half.

Roach, Coleman, and Ramey are great against man cuz they can get by their guy and get to the rim whenever, but if they aren't hitting from outside, we're fucked when we play a zone.

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Turnovers and poor defense also contributed to Horns loss tonight.

I don’t think any of us are disagreeing 

22 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Too many sloppy turn overs in both half’s in my opinion 

Yep. Roach went full regard about 5 too many times tonight. Sims had at least one terrible TO where he left his feet before passing. I'm sure there were others, but we needed to protect the ball better against a Kst team that's not great at generating its own offense. 

This was one of the most boring games I’ve watched. Not trying to be a dick but KSU was just mediocre and UT was a little less than mediocre. It wasn’t a classic mucky game from KSU and neither team ever really made a play to win the game or to pull away. It was truly just ho-hum until time ran out. Weird game to watch for me. 

3 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

This was one of the most boring games I’ve watched. Not trying to be a dick but KSU was just mediocre and UT was a little less than mediocre. It wasn’t a classic mucky game from KSU and neither team ever really made a play to win the game or to pull away. It was truly just ho-hum until time ran out. Weird game to watch for me. 

The first half was good for UT, the second half was reversion to the mean.

It was so frustrating, felt like we couldn’t buy a fucking bucket after a KSU miss or turnover. Couldn’t put together any kind of run.  Guards shit themselves. Hayes couldn’t finish a few chances at the rim. Ramey was...not on the floor? Maybe a smarter b-ball mind can explain that one.

Edited by CurlyDumps

I really wanted UT for obvious reasons but the never gave me a reason to get into the game. I don’t want to project my experience onto your guys or the fan base in general, but if the UT fans watched the game and saw what I saw in how boring it was then I understand why the FEC is empty much of the time. 

4 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Damn..... worst post I've ever seen from Jhawk and I've read a lot of your posts......

Eat a Snickers......

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

And I've no idea why Ramey sat for such a long spell in the second. Wonder if he said or did something that peeved Shaka.

Ramey committed two stupid fouls within a minute of each other in the 2nd half.

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, sunset87 said:

2nd half was horribad. Felt like they had nothing left in the tank after the aggressive, attacking style they played in the first half.

They ran into a team that was actually capable of playing zone for more than a couple possessions. The results were predictable.

11 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Meh... don’t mean to offend, just couldn’t get into the game at all based on what I was watching. 

39 to 35 halftime score...... 1st Half was well played.  Too many bad offensive possessions for Horns in 2nd Half lead to easy offense for K-State.

Don't get your critique about "KSU was just mediocre"..... KSU played great 2nd half defense and was highly efficient on offense.  KSU is one of the top defensive teams in the country......

Maybe you're just frustrated "rock chalk" is 2 games behind wildcats in the loss column??

Edited by LTtxfan
Take it easy Jhawk

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

They ran into a team that was actually capable of playing zone for more than a couple possessions. The results were predictable.

Yeah they obviously struggled with the zone, but even when KSt went back to m2m they weren’t getting to the rim.

Just now, sunset87 said:

Yeah they obviously struggled with the zone, but even when KSt went back to m2m they weren’t getting to the rim.

Agree..... poor execution on offense in 2nd Half was hard to watch.  Snoop played great in 1st half, and then horrible in 2nd.  Not sure what kinda game Coleman was playing in 2nd Half but it wasn't basketball??

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

39 to 35 halftime score...... 1st Half was well played.  Too many bad offensive possessions for Horns in 2nd Half lead to easy offense for K-State.

Don't get your critique about "KSU was just mediocre"..... KSU played great 2nd half defense and was highly efficient on offense.  KSU is one of the top defensive teams in the country......

Maybe you're just frustrated "rock chalk" is 2 games behind wildcats in the loss column??

Yeah, I don’t get that either. “KSt was mediocre”, my ass. That has to be one of their better offensive games of the season.

3 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

Yeah, I don’t get that either. “KSt was mediocre”, my ass. That has to be one of their better offensive games of the season.

I don't think he wants to admit it, but Jhawk is rationalizing away the fact that the streak might be ending by convincing himself that KU is really shitty and KSU/Tech will win because they're less shitty.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, markstanco said:

When I watched Sims played well. Then I looked at the box and he only got 8 minutes? I guess I missed something important.

Sims loses his man on defense way to often to leave him in for extended periods of time. That and he's a nothing burger on the other end of the court half the time. 

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Not acceptable, Shaka.

I guess. That same player damn near single handedly won us the game against the same team last time we played them. You can fault him for sticking with Febres too long, but to say it was poor judgment to go with a guy who went 7-9 from 3 the last time he saw this opponent is just results based logic and doesn't really represent any real-time, in the moment flaw in his decision making.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

52 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

It was so frustrating, felt like we couldn’t buy a fucking bucket after a KSU miss or turnover. Couldn’t put together any kind of run.  Guards shit themselves. Hayes couldn’t finish a few chances at the rim. Ramey was...not on the floor? Maybe a smarter b-ball mind can explain that one.

PM Shaka?

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I guess. That same player damn near single handedly won us the game against the same team last time we played them. You can fault him for sticking with Febres too long, but to say it was poor judgment to go with a guy who went 7-9 from 3 the last time he saw this opponent is just results based logic and doesn't really represent any real-time, in the moment flaw in his decision making.  

It's about having a feel for the game. Nothing about Febres' performance indicated that he was about to catch fire today, and as a player he's way too inconsistent from game to game to have a rotational strategy based on that.

Moreover, it's not like he was choosing between the lesser of two evils. Courtney Ramey was absolutely balling for much of the game, and Febres most certainly was not. Whatever Febres might bring to the table most certainly does not outweight all the things Ramey does better (which is pretty much everything besides BTA shooting at this point, and if you look at the most recent stretch of games, Ramey was better at that too).