UT mathematician is first woman to win Abel Prize

jimmyjazz

C’mon Sean, nobody gives a damn about the Abel medal!!!

this is such a big deal for her and UT. So proud.  Coming at a great time as well considering the tough news on the 40 acres as of late.  Congrats and hook em to her.  They need to throw  big party.  Wonderful momentum for our women In STEAM as well!   

Came here to post this:

Uhlenbeck's complex and wide-ranging work includes analyzing the "minimal surfaces" of soap bubbles and finding ways to unite geometry and physics through new mathematical approaches. She's widely respected for her work on esoteric topics, such as partial differential equations and the calculus of variations.

"Uhlenbeck's research has led to revolutionary advances at the intersection of mathematics and physics," said Paul Goldbart, a professor of physics who is also the dean of UT's college of natural sciences. In a statement about Uhlenbeck winning the Abel Prize, he added, "Her pioneering insights have applications across a range of fascinating subjects, from string theory, which may help explain the nature of reality, to the geometry of space-time."

[snip]

Here's how she described her work in 1997:

"Mathematicians look at imaginary spaces constructed by scientists examining other problems. I started out my mathematics career by working on Palais' modern formulation of a very useful classical theory, the calculus of variations. I decided Einstein's general relativity was too hard, but managed to learn a lot about geometry of space-time. I did some very technical work in partial differential equations, made an unsuccessful pass at shock waves, worked in scale invariant variational problems, made a poor stab at three manifold topology, learned gauge field theory and then some about applications to four manifolds, and have recently been working on equations with algebraic infinite symmetries. I find that I am bored with anything I understand."

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/19/704841252/u-s-mathematician-becomes-first-woman-to-win-abel-prize-math-s-nobel

• Like 2

Ok cool hook 'em

Reading that article I realized how much this type of stuff just totally bottles my mind. My poor little mathematically challenged mind. I am damn sure glad someone's got the brains for that kind of stuff, I surely don't.

Soap bubbles??? Who the hell would have thunk it.

Edited by SHOOTER12

21 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Came here to post this:

Uhlenbeck's complex and wide-ranging work includes analyzing the "minimal surfaces" of soap bubbles and finding ways to unite geometry and physics through new mathematical approaches. She's widely respected for her work on esoteric topics, such as partial differential equations and the calculus of variations.

"Uhlenbeck's research has led to revolutionary advances at the intersection of mathematics and physics," said Paul Goldbart, a professor of physics who is also the dean of UT's college of natural sciences. In a statement about Uhlenbeck winning the Abel Prize, he added, "Her pioneering insights have applications across a range of fascinating subjects, from string theory, which may help explain the nature of reality, to the geometry of space-time."

[snip]

"Mathematicians look at imaginary spaces constructed by scientists examining other problems. I started out my mathematics career by working on Palais' modern formulation of a very useful classical theory, the calculus of variations. I decided Einstein's general relativity was too hard, but managed to learn a lot about geometry of space-time. I did some very technical work in partial differential equations, made an unsuccessful pass at shock waves, worked in scale invariant variational problems, made a poor stab at three manifold topology, learned gauge field theory and then some about applications to four manifolds, and have recently been working on equations with algebraic infinite symmetries. I find that I am bored with anything I understand."

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/19/704841252/u-s-mathematician-becomes-first-woman-to-win-abel-prize-math-s-nobel

There’s a difference between mathematics and physics? I mean, aside from a few laws which one must use the other to explain? 

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Came here to post this:

[snip]

So, this has nothing to do with her sammich making ability?/no Lulz forum

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, cool.  Hook'em.

I just knew it was gonna be Professor Uhlenbeck before opening the thread. My most unexpected, back against the wall, coming through in the 4th quarter, had absolutely no business making,  A, was in her differential equations class. Therefore I'll always have fond memories of her.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, bolverk said:

I started out my mathematics career by working on Palais' modern formulation of a very useful classical theory, the calculus of variations. I decided Einstein's general relativity was too hard, but managed to learn a lot about geometry of space-time. I did some very technical work in partial differential equations, made an unsuccessful pass at shock waves, worked in scale invariant variational problems, made a poor stab at three manifold topology, learned gauge field theory and then some about applications to four manifolds, and have recently been working on equations with algebraic infinite symmetries.

Dude....I mean, it's like we're TWINS.

17 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

There’s a difference between mathematics and physics? I mean, aside from a few laws which one must use the other to explain? 

As a comedian I saw who was also a Johns Hopkins grad student once said:

Sociology is really psychology, psychology is really biology, biology is really chemistry, chemistry is really physics, physics is really math, and math is really east Asian studies.

• Haha 1