Texas @ TCU Series

TrashMaster G

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

Where was Hibbeler?  That ball barely cleared the infield dirt

I think it was hard for Kennedy because he was in BFE because of only having 2 outfielders. For Hibbeler, the infield was in and the fly ball was probably more of a texas leaguer than in the infield

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

He doesn't have the command, Cole is a closer, Kam is a setup guy that you can pull when he doesn't have it

Tough loss....  too many failed bunts and double plays.  Kennedy seemed to be struggling to see fly balls in the TCU stadium tonight for some reason.

Agree that asking Kam to close is a gamble because he walks too many hitters.  Cole will be up and down as a closer too until later in the season.  Got to gut out at least one win in the next two games.

Positive note:  Horns did seem to hit the ball better tonight.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Probably helps if he comes in without 2 baserunners and no outs and a 2-run lead.

He came on with a runner on 1st and 0 out and proceeded to give up a run and allow a runner to get to third without giving up a hit. Fields fucked up tonight

Edited by chase25

Just now, Cajun said:

Pierce was an idiot tonight.  

No way around it.

doesnt mean he sucks.  It’s not necessary to be sunshine pumping to be a real fan.

No, but we have someone comparing him to Charlie Strong.

Pierce mismanaged tonight, but people are overreacting.

7 minutes ago, chase25 said:

He came on with a runner on 1st and 0 out and proceeded to give up a run and allow a runner to get to third without giving up a hit. Fields fucked up tonight

Yeah I saw that.  I must have been distracted because I thought Elder got the next walk too.  Maybe I was flashing back to UTSA.h

I have the distinct impresson that Kam doesn't do well in high-pressure situations.  He tries to aim or something.

Edited by TwiceHorn

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

No, but we have someone comparing him to Charlie Strong.

Pierce mismanaged tonight, but people are overreacting.

2018 Baseball America's Coach of the Year-- DP

Hook'em

Edited by LTtxfan

13 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

He’s approaching Strong territory. 

This isn't it. The national coach of the year that won the Big 12 and made a CWS in year two is "approaching Strong territory". 

This is why other fanbases make fun of us. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Pierce quotes, via Joe Cook:

On Elder: "He was good. We felt like it was his game to finish if he could. He wanted the ball. Pitch count was right. He was fine. Once he hit the leadoff hitter, we just felt like we had a fresh arm in Kam and we're going to go to him right now."

On Fields: "He just didn't command it. That's part of it. When you're a closer or a stopper, you get a lot of opportunities. At the same time, unfortunately, you're not 100 percent."

On the double-steal: "It was 0-2 with Zub versus the left-hander. With those two guys on base, it was the perfect opportunity."

Pierce normally doesn't talk to the team but "he was getting ready to" during postgame. The message: "Be ready to play tomorrow because we're coming to play."

On if Fields will get more late-inning opportunities: "Damn right, he will."

3 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

I think it was hard for Kennedy because he was in BFE because of only having 2 outfielders. For Hibbeler, the infield was in and the fly ball was probably more of a texas leaguer than in the infield

with 2 outfielders you basically say if it is hit in the gap or center you are done.  Kennedy was too deep.  you aren't trying to cover everything.  just a shitshow all the way around.   Kam, Pierce, Kennedy, shit bunting, etc. are all at fault but Pierce above all needs to know better.  He doesn't suck, its not the end of the world but he needs to take responsibility because his job is mental and he gets paid a lot of money.  the players all fucked up physically.

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Fields recorded exactly __zero___ outs.  The highlights of his outing were a walk, a wild pitch, a wild pitch giving up a run, a base hit giving up the tying run,, and oh a flubbed pop out. Nice. 

Don’t think we can blame the flubbed pop up on Fields, but it was too late.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

with 2 outfielders you basically say if it is hit in the gap or center you are done.  Kennedy was too deep.  you aren't trying to cover everything.  just a shitshow all the way around.   Kam, Pierce, Kennedy, shit bunting, etc. are all at fault but Pierce above all needs to know better.  He doesn't suck, its not the end of the world but he needs to take responsibility because his job is mental and he gets paid a lot of money.  the players all fucked up physically.

Valid. Now that I’m thinking about it, both guys should have been shallow to ensure a better chance for a throw out at home. But I still think it’s a tough play for hibbeler. 

As for pierce, yeah he should have know to give kam empty bases with a man in the pen ready. Kam doesn’t have the best control plus with things getting dicey doesn’t help either. 

Damn some of the criticism is too harsh tonight.  Hell, for a long time it looked like the Horns might not score any runs.... then they excuted twice to score and go up 2-0.  TCU has a good ball club, and Kam unfortunately struggled tonight.  Blowing a 2 run lead on the road verses TCU isn't the end of the world folks. 

B12 road games will continue to be difficult for this young Horns team..... put on your seatbelts and enjoy the CRAZY ride this season....

Go Horns.... Hook'em 🤘

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Damn some of the criticism is too harsh tonight.  Hell, for a long time it looked like the Horns might not score any runs.... then they excuted twice to score and go up 2-0.  TCU has a good ball club, and Kam unfortunately struggled tonight.  Blowing a 2 run lead on the road verses TCU isn't the end of the world folks. 

B12 road games will continue to be difficult for this young Horns team..... put on your seatbelts and enjoy the CRAZY ride this season....

Go Horns.... Hook'em 🤘

It's all fine, except for one or two posters. This was a team loss tonight, and everyone deserves blame.

I just hope our team has short memories and learns from their mistakes.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's all fine, except for one or two posters. This was a team loss tonight, and everyone deserves blame.

I just hope our team has short memories and learns from their mistakes.

Close games are hard.  Agree that team shoulders the loss.  Sure is fun watching Texas Baseball be good again...... 

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He came in with a guy on first and no outs. 

You think if he started the inning he’d somehow have control?  He only gave up 3 because that’s all they needed. 

you'd be surprised the difference it makes to start an inning from the windup and no one on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Valid. Now that I’m thinking about it, both guys should have been shallow to ensure a better chance for a throw out at home. But I still think it’s a tough play for hibbeler. 

As for pierce, yeah he should have know to give kam empty bases with a man in the pen ready. Kam doesn’t have the best control plus with things getting dicey doesn’t help either. 

agreed it was a tough play for hibbeler but hibbeler should never be catching a ball that deep in the OF with the winning run on 3B and less than 2 outs.  that was all on Kennedy or the coaching position.  crazy thing is if we make that play normally we have a chance to get out of it with bases loaded and one out. 

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Pierce quotes, via Joe Cook:

On Elder: "He was good. We felt like it was his game to finish if he could. He wanted the ball. Pitch count was right. He was fine. Once he hit the leadoff hitter, we just felt like we had a fresh arm in Kam and we're going to go to him right now."

On Fields: "He just didn't command it. That's part of it. When you're a closer or a stopper, you get a lot of opportunities. At the same time, unfortunately, you're not 100 percent."

On the double-steal: "It was 0-2 with Zub versus the left-hander. With those two guys on base, it was the perfect opportunity."

Pierce normally doesn't talk to the team but "he was getting ready to" during postgame. The message: "Be ready to play tomorrow because we're coming to play."

On if Fields will get more late-inning opportunities: "Damn right, he will."

wonder what not 100 percent means.  yeah what I expected Elder talked him into it.  you can read between the lines.  lets take the next 2.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

wonder what not 100 percent means.  yeah what I expected Elder talked him into it.  you can read between the lines.  lets take the next 2.

Sometimes you have it, sometimes you don't. Fields didn't have it today, but who on this staff consistently has it?

And yeah, Pierce has to take ownership and tell Bryce that no means no.

Edited by Machinator

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

you'd be surprised the difference it makes to start an inning from the windup and no one on.

Fields didn't record a single out tonight. Maybe starting from the windup with a clean inning would have helped but Fields simply didn't have his stuff tonight. 

Even if Fields started with a clean inning he probably struggles tonight because he wasn't commanding anything. 

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Go Horns.... Hook'em 🤘

Correct, it isn’t the end of the world, but it’s a very big choke and a bad way to give away a conference win vs a competitor for the crown.  

Its ok to call it what it is.

Doesnt mean we’re done.  Not by a long shot

Edited by Cajun

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Fields didn't record a single out tonight. Maybe starting from the windup with a clean inning would have helped but Fields simply didn't have his stuff tonight. 

Even if Fields started with a clean inning he probably struggles tonight because he wasn't commanding anything. 

Again, I think forcing the closer's mentality on him is just too much.  He'd do better as a setup man, or coming in for a clean ninth from the windup.

The thing that's annoying is that we played clean on defense, battled some on offense, and executed when it counted and against an excellent pitcher. 

And then blew it late in probably avoidable circumstances.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

In the game of hypotheticals, we will never know for sure what cost us the game, but Fields not being on is the most likely answer.

But Pierce made things more difficult than they needed to be by sending Elder back out there. I didn't like the decision even then, complete game be damned. He was already losing control before that, though McCann and the defense did its job to avoid any damage.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Again, I think forcing the closer's mentality on him is just too much.  He'd do better as a setup man, or coming in for a clean ninth from the windup.

Whom would you send in as closer today though? CQ and Bryant both threw 30+ pitches on Wednesday, and without Madden I don't trust anyone else on the staff to throw strikes consistently. At least Fields has the stuff to do it sometimes.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Whom would you send in as closer today though? CQ and Bryant both threw 30+ pitches on Wednesday, and without Madden I don't trust anyone else on the staff to throw strikes consistently. At least Fields has the stuff to do it sometimes.

There is that, yes.  Ridgeway!!

Fuck. 

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Seems like Fields pitches better at the Dish

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You think Cole couldn't have gone one inning?

Anyway that is two games, this one and the first game against Louisiana, that we blew a 9th inning lead in pretty much this way.

So maybe lesson learned.

Edited by Valmy77

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

In the game of hypotheticals, we will never know for sure what cost us the game, but Fields not being on is the most likely answer.

But Pierce made things more difficult than they needed to be by sending Elder back out there. I didn't like the decision even then, complete game be damned. He was already losing control before that, though McCann and the defense did its job to avoid any damage.

I think you can play the what if game after every decision. Especially when it doesn't work. If Fields comes out and is wild to start the 9th there would have been people that said "Pierce should have stuck with Elder". 

Bottom line is Fields simply didn't execute tonight. 

I don't think Pierce will ever change his approach with pitchers. He's said a billion times he's going to stick with arms that are throwing strikes. Generally speaking, I think it's the right approach because our bullpen is inconsistent as hell at finding the zone (as we saw tonight with Fields). 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think you can play the what if game after every decision. Especially when it doesn't work. If Fields comes out and is wild to start the 9th there would have been people that said "Pierce should have stuck with Elder". 

I don't think Pierce will ever change his approach with pitchers. He's said a billion times that he's going to stick with arms that are throwing strikes. Generally speaking, I think it's the right approach because our bullpen is inconsistent as hell at finding the zone (as we saw tonight with Fields). 

Guess you cant argue with that too much.  Just so frustrating.

• Like 1

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

I don't think Pierce will ever change his approach with pitchers. He's said a billion times that he's going to stick with arms that are throwing strikes. Generally speaking, I think it's the right approach because our bullpen is inconsistent as hell at finding the zone (as we saw tonight with Fields). 

As a general rule I don't hate the approach, but you need to use your eyes and instincts as a manager. I had a bad feeling about this one (just like I did a couple weeks ago when we did the same thing with Henley), and it turned out predictably.

In the long run, it's going to come down to the coaches' ability to recruit and develop pitchers, which is looking pretty good so far. The aggregate of talent and experience isn't quite there yet, though you can see the potential

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Guess you cant argue with that too much.  Just so frustrating.

Pretty much college baseball. Hell, we've won about 3/4 of our games simply because of free bases given up by opposing pitchers. 

College teams don't have the arms to consistently throw strikes. It's baseball common sense but it's especially true in the college game. You can win a lot of games if you just throw strikes and are patient at the plate. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have the distinct impresson that Kam doesn't do well in high-pressure situations.  He tries to aim or something.

Here's the line from his last game, against Tech, when he entered to start the 7th inning with a 4-3 lead:

Texas
Player IP H R ER BB SO WP BK HBP IBB AB BF FO GO NP
Elder, Bryce 5.0 7 3 3 4 4 0 0 0 0 21 25 6 4 100
Madden, Ty (W, 3-0) 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 3 3 1 1 15
Fields, Kamron (S, 2) 3.0 0 0 0 0 5 0 0 0 0 9 9 3 1 53

9 up, 9 down with 5 strikeouts.  He didn't have it tonight but some of you are acting like he sucks and has never been successful in the type of situation he was in tonight.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

Here's the line from his last game, against Tech, when he entered to start the 7th inning with a 4-3 lead:

Texas
Player IP H R ER BB SO WP BK HBP IBB AB BF FO GO NP
Elder, Bryce 5.0 7 3 3 4 4 0 0 0 0 21 25 6 4 100
Madden, Ty (W, 3-0) 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 3 3 1 1 15
Fields, Kamron (S, 2) 3.0 0 0 0 0 5 0 0 0 0 9 9 3 1 53

9 up, 9 down with 5 strikeouts.  He didn't have it tonight but some of you are acting like he sucks and has never been successful in the type of situation he was in tonight.

He has it sometimes. He doesn't others, and it gets pretty ugly.

It's just a reality of our staff right now. Need another year or two of recruiting and development before we can make these kinds of games a rarity again.

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

agreed but it might have been good enough to get us to extras or hold to one run.  I know we don't have a "solid, no doubt" closer but all the more reason to start him with a clean inning.  I certainly don't know how he normally does coming in and pitching with runners on but most pitchers do better starting from a clean inning and the windup.

kid needs to develop a straight change

• Like 1