Augusta National for The Masters

Assman

It's been #1 on my bucket list for as long as I can remember and it looks like I may have talked my way into a pair of tickets for the weekend.

I'm looking at flying into ATL, renting a car, and driving the 2-3 hours to Augusta.  Of course hotels are slim pickings so AirBnB will probably be the way I go.  

For those that have been, what should I know?   

• Like 4

Be sure to run between holes. They like it when you run. Also, a lot of nice people will put down a chair next to a green or tee box and wonder off. Feel free to help yourself to an open seat.

JK.

They also love it when you yell “get in the hole” after any shot a golfer takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Assman said:

It's been #1 on my bucket list for as long as I can remember and it looks like I may have talked my way into a pair of tickets for the weekend.

I'm looking at flying into ATL, renting a car, and driving the 2-3 hours to Augusta.  Of course hotels are slim pickings so AirBnB will probably be the way I go.  

For those that have been, what should I know?   

you ain't getting no hotel room in Augusta at this point.  Unless you got $$$$$$$$$

The titters in Augusta are not impressive.

get there at gate open and stay till they shoo you out.

You might have some airbnb luck out at lake oconee.

Get there early, park at one of the churches across form the gate, (it's like a $20 donation or so).

Make sure to eat each of the following:

pimento cheese sandwich

chick salad sandiwch

ham and cheese

peach ice cream cookie sandwich

Usually the "domestic light beer" is miller light, the "craft beer" is blue moon and the "import beer" is dos XX.

After you have walked the entire course, my favorite place to sit is on the hill above 16.  You can see 6 green, 15 green and all of 16 from there.

PS. They also love it when you yell "dilly dilly" after a golfer's shot

• Like 1

Well, a couple serious words of advice.

Don’t underestimating calling some of the local hotels from a couple weeks before until right before check-in to ask if there have been any cancellations. You’d be surprised at what can open up and what rates you can get. A few years ago we were sprung with last minute Saturday/Sunday tickets and got a nice room at the Marriott for $339, half of the rate they had advertised for the week.

Marcellos is a good cigar shop right off of Washington Rd.

Enjoy the hell out of your time on the property, it’s one of life’s best experiences for a golf fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BTW said:

Make sure to eat each of the following:

pimento cheese sandwich DEFINITELY

chick salad sandiwch EGG SALAD IS CHOICE TOO

ham and cheese WHY NOT? FRIED CHICKEN SANDWICH IS CHICK-FIL-A TOO

peach ice cream cookie sandwich DO NOT MISS

Usually the "domestic light beer" is miller light, the "craft beer" is blue moon and the "import beer" is dos XX. KEEP THE PLASTIC CUPS, STILL HAVE MINE FROM 2016 AND THEY SEEM BRAND NEW

After you have walked the entire course, my favorite place to sit is on the hill above 16.  You can see 6 green, 15 green and all of 16 from there. CONCUR

PS. They also love it when you yell "dilly dilly" after a golfer's shot

Very few things ever live up to the hype in life. This is one of those rare things where it actually will surpass your expectation. Oh, and they're serious about cell phones.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.  Although many of you are suggesting I run from hole to hole, my plan was to bring my own cart and just drive.  It'll keep me off my feet and give me a place to put my cooler, phone, metal chair, and air horn.

My plan for walking the course was to follow the first group from 1-18 just to see every hole, then head to 16 since that is my favorite hole from a spectator stand point.  My favorite hole on the course is 13 but you're so damn far from the green that I don't think I'll want to spend much time there.

I actually only got tickets for Sunday, but I'll be arriving in Augusta on Friday.  Where are the best bars and/or places to watch on Saturday?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Assman said:

Thanks for the responses.  Although many of you are suggesting I run from hole to hole, my plan was to bring my own cart and just drive.  It'll keep me off my feet and give me a place to put my cooler, phone, metal chair, and air horn.

My plan for walking the course was to follow the first group from 1-18 just to see every hole, then head to 16 since that is my favorite hole from a spectator stand point.  My favorite hole on the course is 13 but you're so damn far from the green that I don't think I'll want to spend much time there.

I actually only got tickets for Sunday, but I'll be arriving in Augusta on Friday.  Where are the best bars and/or places to watch on Saturday?

One of my favorite memories was sitting down at one of those high-top tables in the pine straw along the fairway at 13 and simply watching the final guys come through during the Tuesday practice round. We'd walked almost all of the 13 miles we walked that day by that time and were relaxing with a beer in what we called the greatest "biergarten" on earth. That's where I ate my peach ice cream sandwich. You won't have that same luxury since it'll be during an actual round but I think the crowds are about half what they are for the practice rounds.

10 hours ago, Assman said:

Believe it or not, Hooters isn't a bad spot to hang out.  Usually John Daly is posted up in the parking lot selling "grip it and rip it" merch.  It's a lively atmosphere and they bring in a shit-ton of extra staff, so getting  a beer isn't too hard.

Can't wait to hear about it

On 3/26/2019 at 9:51 PM, Assman said:

13 is one of the best spots to watch. Get your chair on the rope early. You can see them approach and then hit to the green. Everyday a golfer will hit into you, so pay attention. You can see the 14th tee as well. Easy walk to Amen Corner and also 16, which is where shit gets real. And the 15th green. And the guys hitting over your head on 5. Walk a little further to watch them play the par 3 4th and approach on 3 is also great. And the concessions are right nearby. And the pisser is right up the hill.

4 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

Got tix for the Monday practice round with my dad. Praying for the weather to cooperate. Due to his knee/hip issues, we will not be racing to any tee boxes or greens. I am so grateful i get this opportunity with him.

One.More.Week.

Just beware, walking the course is quite strenuous. I don't know how bad you dad's issues are but one of those motorized chairs may not be a bad idea.

ive only been to the practice rounds. park in back and they let you in an hour or so before they let you on the course. that'll give you plenty of time to shop and grab breakfast. there's a ups booth right by the gift shop in back to send your stuff back home. you walk down behind 16 tee and they'll let you on the course when the course opens. the guards down there will give you a heads up on who's on the course and what time the big names are teeing off their practice rounds. 

Assman, congrats -
I hope to see you there, and by that I mean on TV because I'll be watching it again this year.
Because of losing the Masters lottery for something like the 20th consecutive year.

A disappointment like no other

I have had a couple of buddies who have made it - they say plan on going to the merchandise tent and just have all your shit sent back to your home (bring lots of cash, I've heard it is nice stuff but you will spend). Enjoy the concessions, best value in any sports event, and they encourage the crowd to cheer the great shots, and if you a good spot near a tee box you yell "mashed potatoes" after the first player tees off.

11 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:

Just beware, walking the course is quite strenuous. I don't know how bad you dad's issues are but one of those motorized chairs may not be a bad idea.

He's not motorized chair bad, but thanks.

Where do we get the chairs everyone is talking about? Do I need to purchase them in advance or are they provided at the gate?

Buy them there. There’s a spot for your business card in the back so you can ID your chair over the other thousand in the vicinity  so bring some cards  

Buy as much Masters stuff as you can afford. Or you will regret it later. The golf shirts are excellent. Also hit it early. It’s a mad house and they may run out of popular items. Or the size that fits you. 

1. Park as early as I can get the group ready.

1A. Is the North or South gate preferred?

2. Buy chair(s) at gate.

3. Take chairs to spot.

4. Hit up merchandise tent and ship goods home.

5. Beer & Sandwich.

6. Walk around course?

7. Go back to chair?

Is my order of operations correct here, or am I missing something glaringly obvious? Good idea re: the business cards.

About 50 miles east of Atlanta, just north of I20 is a place that serves a great country meal.   Blue Willow Inn, in Social Circle.    If the timing works out on the way from Atlanta, it is worth a stop.  Huge buffet, all you can eat in an old Antebellum house.  They only serve water, tea and lemonade to drink....no booze.  It is usually busy as fuck, so you may not want to waste that much time there.....but it it works out, it's a damn good meal.  Did I mention they didn't serve booze?  

11 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

2. Buy chair(s) at gate.

3. Take chairs to spot.

5. Beer & Sandwich.

6. Walk around course?

7. Go back to chair?

Is my order of operations correct here, or am I missing something glaringly obvious? Good idea re: the business cards.

You buy chairs at the gift shop.  They aren’t for sale at gates.

11 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

first time i went i bought all my shirts (masters brand) in the size i usually wear and got them home and they were massive.  size down from what you usually wear.

I have had it go both ways with Masters shirts.  Unfortunately that seems to be one common reality they haven’t been able to fix.

My personal favorite Masters shop souvenirs I have gotten are the Old Fashioned cocktail glasses I have gotten.  Love those things.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Incredulity said:
You buy chairs at the gift shop.  They aren’t for sale at gates.

If you go in the entrance by the big parking lot off Washington road there is a small gift shop hut there. Cant remember if the sell chairs there though.

Edited by DCA_HORN

12 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

2. Buy chair(s) at gate.

3. Take chairs to spot.

5. Beer & Sandwich.

6. Walk around course?

7. Go back to chair?

I like this.

How do people usually get their chairs back home?  Wouldn't checking them on the flight destroy them?

Good recommendations so far for viewing.  

11 green / 12 tee box is an awesome spot.

13 fairway is great if you get at the apex of the dogleg because you can see them tee off and hit into the green.

16 bleachers were my favorite bleacher spot.

Top of 15 bleachers is a good spot too b/c you can watch the approach on 15 and the tee box on 16.

Hill below 6th is fun and underrated.  They tee off above you.  Fun spot for a few tee shots.

Middle of 10 fairway is a great vantage to watch tee shots and approach shots as well.

On 4/2/2019 at 9:59 AM, 4th&Five said:

first time i went i bought all my shirts (masters brand) in the size i usually wear and got them home and they were massive.  size down from what you usually wear.

Yeah, the XL golf shirts are fucking massive.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it might have been the best weekend of my life.  There's too much to type so I'll just copy and paste my post from FB:

"I can't truly put into works the experience of attending the Masters. Walking through the gates, seeing the emblematic scoreboard on the first fairway, the serene tee box on two, the elevation drop on six, the magnolia tree on 10 that Bubba curved his approach around to win in 2012, the pine straw that Lefty hit out of on 13 to win in 2010, and the Sunday hole location on 16 that has shaped so many wins and losses throughout the years. On top of that, I got to witness arguably the most iconic athlete since Jordan winning his 5th Masters 22 years after his first, after so many people had written him off. The atmosphere at Augusta National with Tiger in contention is indescribable. No matter where you are on the 345-acre course, you know when Tiger hit a remarkable shot as the roars echo through the pines like thunder. This weekend was one I'll never forget and one I'll be talking about until the day I die. Just bury me in this hat" :wearing Masters hat in pic:

That pretty much sums it up.  I lucked into weekend passes so we saw the 3rd and final rounds.  The first day we took our time, hit the gift shop on the way in, so by the time we walked out to the course it was after 9AM, so all the good chair spots were taken.  We ended up setting up on the 17th tee box and then walked the course.  I followed Jordan for the second nine.  Spent some time in the bleachers on 12, fairway on 13, and bleachers on 15. 

On Sunday, we got up earlier, and were able to get about 5th row on the 16th green with a great vantage point.  They don't serve beer until 11AM on Sunday, but fortunately we had some suite passes with a full bar.  Had a Tito's in hand by 8AM and walked the course.  We spent a lot of time on the 2nd tee box and that might be my new favorite spot on the front nine.  We were on the side with the wall and you're so close to the players that you can reach out and touch them.  On the groupings with no notable players, we were literally the only patrons at the tee box.  We could heard all the player-caddie and player-player convos.  Got to hear them cut up, make fun of each other's drives, and drop F bombs.  Definitely a different experience than on TV, and it was surreal that we were at the Masters and were the only people on a given hole.  We ended up back at our chairs on 16 right after Justin Thomas' ace, so we missed both that day.  Ended up watching the last 7 groups come through.  The Tiger effect is real.  The electricity in the air when he is on a hole is unreal.  And to top it off his shot on 16 sealed the victory for him.

10/10.  Would experience again.

• Like 6

Sounds like an amazing trip, @Assman

My buddy that took me to the Masters in 2016 had a decent six day span.  He waited until it was done to call me and talk shit because he didn't think he was going to be able to pull everything off with work and whatnot.

Wed:  Masters Par 3

Thur:  Wake up early, drive to Pinehurst.  Play afternoon round on #2.

Fri:  Played Pine Needles in AM.  Drove back to Augusta.

Sat:  Played Forest Hills in Augusta

Sun:  Final round of Masters

Mon:  Drove home to St Augustine, then left to West Palm Beach that evening

Tues:  18 holes @ Seminole Golf Club

That would not have sucked.

18 hours ago, Assman said:

Well, it might have been the best weekend of my life.  There's too much to type so I'll just copy and paste my post from FB:

"I can't truly put into works the experience of attending the Masters. Walking through the gates, seeing the emblematic scoreboard on the first fairway, the serene tee box on two, the elevation drop on six, the magnolia tree on 10 that Bubba curved his approach around to win in 2012, the pine straw that Lefty hit out of on 13 to win in 2010, and the Sunday hole location on 16 that has shaped so many wins and losses throughout the years. On top of that, I got to witness arguably the most iconic athlete since Jordan winning his 5th Masters 22 years after his first, after so many people had written him off. The atmosphere at Augusta National with Tiger in contention is indescribable. No matter where you are on the 345-acre course, you know when Tiger hit a remarkable shot as the roars echo through the pines like thunder. This weekend was one I'll never forget and one I'll be talking about until the day I die. Just bury me in this hat" :wearing Masters hat in pic:

That pretty much sums it up.  I lucked into weekend passes so we saw the 3rd and final rounds.  The first day we took our time, hit the gift shop on the way in, so by the time we walked out to the course it was after 9AM, so all the good chair spots were taken.  We ended up setting up on the 17th tee box and then walked the course.  I followed Jordan for the second nine.  Spent some time in the bleachers on 12, fairway on 13, and bleachers on 15. 

On Sunday, we got up earlier, and were able to get about 5th row on the 16th green with a great vantage point.  They don't serve beer until 11AM on Sunday, but fortunately we had some suite passes with a full bar.  Had a Tito's in hand by 8AM and walked the course.  We spent a lot of time on the 2nd tee box and that might be my new favorite spot on the front nine.  We were on the side with the wall and you're so close to the players that you can reach out and touch them.  On the groupings with no notable players, we were literally the only patrons at the tee box.  We could heard all the player-caddie and player-player convos.  Got to hear them cut up, make fun of each other's drives, and drop F bombs.  Definitely a different experience than on TV, and it was surreal that we were at the Masters and were the only people on a given hole.  We ended up back at our chairs on 16 right after Justin Thomas' ace, so we missed both that day.  Ended up watching the last 7 groups come through.  The Tiger effect is real.  The electricity in the air when he is on a hole is unreal.  And to top it off his shot on 16 sealed the victory for him.

10/10.  Would experience again.

My friends gave me shit at the spring game for saying I'd rather have a badge for the Masters than go to the National Championship game with the Horns in it. 

You just don't know til you go.

3 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

My friends gave me shit at the spring game for saying I'd rather have a badge for the Masters than go to the National Championship game with the Horns in it. 

I don't think I'll ever be able to top this year if I went again.  I can't possibly think of a better story line unless Tiger loses an arm in a car accident then goes on to win major #19 to pass Jack.  That won't stop me from trying to go every year though.

15 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

I’d go with Horns.  But it’s close.  Masters are every year.