2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1. the collin mchugh back to sp experiment is over.  he can still be a valuable reliever who can get you 3-6 outs and be nasty without having to face anyone twice.  i would prefer framber or james or just about anyone else at this point take over sp5 (anyone from aaa?) or suck it up and go with a 4-man and maybe go tandem twice a month.  i still have some hope for peacock, but he's a 5 inning guy.

2. how come it's so easy for us to ground into a dp but so hard for us to turn one?  is there a dp differential stat i can look up, because we've gotta be last (or first, whatever).

3. hello darkness my old friend.  by darkness, i mean bourbon, the brownest of the brown liquors.  christ it's still light outside.  but at least it's wednesday.

4. shit, it's tuesday.

• Like 3

1. the collin mchugh back to sp experiment is over.  he can still be a valuable reliever who can get you 3-6 outs and be nasty without having to face anyone twice.  i would prefer framber or james or just about anyone else at this point take over sp5 (anyone from aaa?) or suck it up and go with a 4-man and maybe go tandem twice a month.  i still have some hope for peacock, but he's a 5 inning

Corbin looks the part and ready for a chance in the early going, but not sure if they would consider pulling the trigger for his MLB debut in early/mid- May

Currently pitching tonight. 1 ER thru 5.

12 hours ago, Mez2 said:

keep winning. big game tonight for Collin, want to seem him pitch well and us score one more run than our opponent. 

Furk.

I love Collin. I want him to do well. He's got something wrong and needs to fix it, preferably without costing us games.

Good for Fiers. At one time, he was the anchor in our starting rotation.

also fuck this game and fuck blackjack. My new favorite thing is going to play blackjack and watch the game. Astros are getting pounded and I’m splitting aces. Get another ace, so  another split. 20, 20, 19, I’m feeling pretty fucking good.  dealer hits 21, on 5 cards. Fuck this world 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Furk.

I love Collin. I want him to do well. He's got something wrong and needs to fix it, preferably without costing us games.

His biggest problem is that he needs to only pitch an inning or 2 while throwing mainly sliders and curves.

So...Altuve. Now over 150 PAs, so some of these numbers are beginning to stabilize.

He's striking out 16% of his PAs (career is 11%). He's making contact on 79% of his swings (career is 87%). He's making contact on pitches in the zone at 86% (career is 93%).

On batted balls - 17% line drives (career 22%); 39% fly balls (career 31%). 

BABIP - .225 (career .338)

There has to be some bad luck at play, as his BABIP is more than 100 points below his career avg (and 75 points below league average). But he still seems a little different than he's been. Your eyes aren't lying if it seems like he's missing pitches he didn't used to miss, and that he is hitting more fly balls and fewer line drives. BABIP figures to come down some if you exchange some line drives for fly balls (though not to the extent that his has). 

Not sure what is going on here - but it seems like he's trying to hit HRs. Why would a guy who is one of the best players in baseball change his approach? Maybe he hasn't, but it appears as though he has. 

4 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

So...Altuve. Now over 150 PAs, so some of these numbers are beginning to stabilize.

He's striking out 16% of his PAs (career is 11%). He's making contact on 79% of his swings (career is 87%). He's making contact on pitches in the zone at 86% (career is 93%).

On batted balls - 17% line drives (career 22%); 39% fly balls (career 31%). 

BABIP - .225 (career .338)

There has to be some bad luck at play, as his BABIP is more than 100 points below his career avg (and 75 points below league average). But he still seems a little different than he's been. Your eyes aren't lying if it seems like he's missing pitches he didn't used to miss, and that he is hitting more fly balls and fewer line drives. BABIP figures to come down some if you exchange some line drives for fly balls (though not to the extent that his has). 

Not sure what is going on here - but it seems like he's trying to hit HRs. Why would a guy who is one of the best players in baseball change his approach? Maybe he hasn't, but it appears as though he has. 

He's not healthy.