Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden

Parliament

Biden surges in primary polls

Former Vice President Joe Biden has surged in the polls since launching his bid for the Democratic presidential nomination, opening up a double-digit lead over the rest of the field in two new national surveys.

A CNN poll released Tuesday found Biden jumping 11 points to 39 percent support, a 24-point lead over Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who is at 15 percent support. No other candidate in the race has double-digit backing from respondents.

And a Morning Consult survey released Tuesday found Biden with 36 percent support, followed by Sanders at 22 percent. That’s a 6-point bounce for Biden from the same survey released earlier this month, while Sanders has fallen by 2 points. No other candidate reaches double-digit support in the Morning Consult poll, either.

Looks like good ole creepy Joe has his hands wrapped all over this race.

Edited by zork

My [remarkably precise number of] black friends appear to have better sense than most Americans, and seem pretty loyal to their communities, so I am all for them getting some kind of check based on how many grandparents had to put up with frivolous shit at a water fountain.

2020 is officially a disaster - Creep vs. Doftard.  I'm sickened by liberal picking this guy over Bernie or Pete, just going off Obama's coattails, a safe known person is all it takes i guess. What a shit show. 

OK, so someone who knows better let me know if I've got this right...

Beau Biden was married to Hallie
Hunter Biden was married to Kathleen

Beau dies in May 2015

Hunter and Hallie start dating
Hunter and Kathleen get divorced

Hunter and Hallie now break up

Good lord.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, tantric superman said:

1)A vastly more extensive and available road to higher education and economic opportunity, 2) a more just legal system focused on retraining and rehabilitation and 3) more available social services to support the first two.

So, you're for reparations. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

So, you're for reparations. 

Reparations should be something that assists/ compensates those who were dealt an injustice. The things Tantric lists would actually benefit the people
who were willing to take advantage of the opportunity, and the country would then benefit as well.  

Handing out dollars wouldn't do much of anything in most instances. So they're really not the same thing.

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Reparations should be something that assists/ compensates those who were dealt an injustice. The things Tantric lists would actually benefit the people
who were willing to take advantage of the opportunity, and the country would then benefit as well.  

Handing out dollars wouldn't do much of anything in most instances. So they're really not the same thing.

The first issue here is that you are operating under a misconception of what "reparations" means.  It is not limited to cutting a check for something that happened to an ancestor. 

The second issue is that you are substituting your ammoral justification for the one he actually gave, which is that it is something we "owe African Americans for the lasting effects of slavery." 

Make America Moral Again is a great tagline, Joe, I love it!

I forsee no problems!

In court documents obtained by People magazine, Hunter's estranged wife, Kathleen, alleges that Hunter "created financial concerns for the family by spending extravagantly on his own interests." Said interests allegedly included "drugs, alcohol, prostitutes, strip clubs, and gifts for women with whom he has sexual relations." Kathleen also alleges that Hunter spent over $120,000 in two months.

Hunter balls and goes hard.

53 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Kathleen also alleges that Hunter spent over $120,000 in two months.

Shit, I bought 4 tubes of silicone caulk in the last 2 months, FML.

58 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I forsee no problems!

In court documents obtained by People magazine, Hunter's estranged wife, Kathleen, alleges that Hunter "created financial concerns for the family by spending extravagantly on his own interests." Said interests allegedly included "drugs, alcohol, prostitutes, strip clubs, and gifts for women with whom he has sexual relations." Kathleen also alleges that Hunter spent over $120,000 in two months.

if the last three years of american politics have taught us anything, is that being a dipshit, or being related to dipshits is not only permitted, it's rewarded.

10 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

If the programs I support were only geared to "wronged" groups, then I would be. 

But they aren't, so no.

I don't follow.  You cited those as things that "America owes African Americans for the lasting effects of slavery."  What am I missing here? 

Edited by Mojo Hand

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I don't follow.  You cited those as things that "America owes African Americans for the lasting effects of slavery."  What am I missing here? 

Again the slaves, the American Indians, Chinese. where does the list stop ?  

What America owes is a leveled playing field for every American citizen. Mailing out Publishers Clearing House checks is not the answer.

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

What America owes is a leveled playing field for every American citizen. Mailing out Publishers Clearing House checks is not the answer.

2 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

The first issue here is that you are operating under a misconception of what "reparations" means.  It is not limited to cutting a check for something that happened to an ancestor. 

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It would be nice if America would get on with it.

16 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

An ability to understand the difference between the definitions of "reparations" and the occurrence of historical conquests and injustices which are wrongs against one or more groups of people that economically or in other ways disadvantage that group.

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

An ability to understand the difference between the definitions of "reparations" and the occurrence of historical conquests and injustices which are wrongs against one or more groups of people that economically or in other ways disadvantage that group.

What does it mean to you to "owe" that group something? 

2 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

It's not limited to cutting a check but certainly the idea that any social policy that benefits the descendants of slaves or Jim Crow discrimination is a "reparation" is using a ridiculously broad definition. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reparations_for_slavery

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

I forsee no problems!

Damn.  Hopefully, he doesn't give his son a job in the White House if elected.  

3 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

What does it mean to you to "owe" that group something? 

Given that the United States allowed them to be enslaved, the United States owes all of their citizens the protections of the Constitution and owes those citizens who have suffered because of this historical legacy all of the benefits of it government programs and fair treatment under it's laws.   The US owes those groups acknowledgment and the preservation of the history.  The US should engage in "affirmative action" to any person or group who has not properly benefited from government programs because of the legacy of slavery and discrimination.

4 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

It's not limited to cutting a check but certainly the idea that any social policy that benefits the descendants of slaves or Jim Crow discrimination is a "reparation" is using a ridiculously broad definition. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reparations_for_slavery

Nobody is using that straw-man definition.   The reparations we are discussing are policies specifically geared to address the consequences of the legacy of slavery and give black communities a leg up.   Not generic policies that happen to help black people among many others

Given that the United States allowed them to be enslaved, the United States owes all of their citizens the protections of the Constitution and owes those citizens who have suffered because of this historical legacy all of the benefits of it government programs and fair treatment under it's laws.   The US owes those groups acknowledgment and the preservation of the history.  The US should engage in "affirmative action" to any person or group who has not properly benefited from government programs because of the legacy of slavery and discrimination.

Reparations are nothing more than financial affirmative action for that very purpose.   For example, the government has responsibility for years of housing discrimination that prevented blacks from accumulating wealth in the form of real property; therefore, the government should give extra financial assistance to black people as reparations for that wrong.   This is precisely the kind of reparations proposals that are being discussed in the mainstream right now. 

3 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Nobody is using that straw-man definition.   The reparations we are discussing are policies specifically geared to address the consequences of the legacy of slavery and give black communities a leg up.   Not generic policies that happen to help black people among many others

I'm against any policy that takes from one group and gives to another based on solely on some legacy of slavery.  I am for any policy that identifies a need in the community and addresses it.  If social scientists can trace that need back to slavery, or the Trail of Tears, the theft of land from Mexican landowners in Texas, then I'll take note of that link and see whether that link should affect the way I address the current problem.

I'm against any policy that takes from one group and gives to another based on solely on some legacy of slavery.  I am for any policy that identifies a need in the community and addresses it.  If social scientists can trace that need back to slavery, or the Trail of Tears, the theft of land from Mexican landowners in Texas, then I'll take note of that link and see whether that link should affect the way I address the current problem.

It will be paid from tax dollars, so it will take from everyone, not just one group.   Like literally every other governmental policy in existence. 

4 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

It will be paid from tax dollars, so it will take from everyone, not just one group.   Like literally every other governmental policy in existence. 

looks like SOMEONE doesn't have to fill out the secret "White People Tax" form from the IRS every year

10 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Really?  All of our policies are based "solely on the legacy of discrimination like slavery"?

A very very tiny percentage of our policies are not race neutral.

See the attached:  Discusses housing discrimination as a basis for reparations. See the two pages preceding conclusions.  You take a current situation and use historical knowledge to help come up with a race neutral solution.  At least that is where I would draw the line. 

http://people.oregonstate.edu/~kaplanj/Reparations.pdf

I've got no problem with liberalizing housing discrimination statutes to ease the burdens of proof.  Again, in a generally race neutral way.

Just now, tantric superman said:

Really?  All of our policies are based "solely on the legacy of discrimination like slavery"?

No, all of our policies are "paid from tax dollars."  Clearly stated in the previous sentence.  There are only two; it shouldn't be hard to comprehend, particularly for someone who accuses others of lacking the "ability" to understand simple definitions. 

10 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

No, all of our policies are "paid from tax dollars."  Clearly stated in the previous sentence.  There are only two; it shouldn't be hard to comprehend, particularly for someone who accuses others of lacking the "ability" to understand simple definitions. 

You aren't reading.  I said I wouldn't support one specific race based policy.  Which shouldn't be paid for by tax dollars.  

You're arguments about how policies are paid for by tax dollars are well taken, obvious though they are.

14 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

You aren't reading.  I said I wouldn't support one specific race based policy.  Which shouldn't be paid for by tax dollars.  

You're arguments about how policies are paid for by tax dollars are well taken, obvious though they are.

I am reading.  Specifically the words "takes from one group," which apparently lacked as much meaning as your acknowledgment that we "owe" African Americans a number of social policies "for" the legacy of slavery. 

But your point about not treating your words as having actual meaning is well taken.  I won't anymore. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

54 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I'm against any policy that takes from one group and gives to another based on solely on some legacy of slavery. 

Here's the full sentence.  You seem to be focusing [on] solely on the first part of the sentence and not the last.

But hey, you started this whole discourse insisting I was actually for reparations. So hopefully you feel good about that.

Edited by tantric superman

7 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Even though it's clear we need sweeping change in this country, the majority of Democrats' favorite candidate right now is a 4 year stop gap. Incredible. 

Just goes to show what polling bears out: most Democrats are not progressive and maybe not all that liberal.

Just now, David Dennison said:

Just goes to show what polling bears out: most Democrats are not progressive and maybe not all that liberal.

Very well may be true. I hope it's a sign that the majority are not really paying attention to the primary yet. 

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I think what it actually shows is that most Democrats think that about other Democrats, but that's because they've been conditioned to think that for the past 30+ years. It's become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Like 1

Here's why I'm a Biden guy: 

1. The most important thing a candidate can have is experience. Who has more experience than 'ol Joey B? No one. He's been in the white house for 8 years already. The second closest (and second best candidate) is Trump.

2. Next most important thing is being practical. Who cares what you believe in if you can't get it passed. Joe B-man can reach across the aisle and compromise. Just look at Obamacare. That bill could never get passed today, and you know why? Partisanship. Obama knew the best way to get a comprehensive health care bill passed was to work with Republicans in good faith and come to a compromise, not to use the Democratic majority to push through a "better" bill. 

3. The final most important thing for a candidate to have is how much I want to have a beer with them. Lemme tell you, the Bides is exactly the kind of guy I'd like to knock back a couple of cold ones with and shoot the shit. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Even though it's clear we need sweeping change in this country, the majority of Democrats' favorite candidate right now is a 4 year stop gap. Incredible. 

I don't know.  Trump getting elected probably has thrown a good number of normally rationally thinking individuals for a loop.   Why support the rational choice when the electorate if fucking crazy?

I would totally be for a Joe Biden who was 30 years younger who was generally moderate but sounded like he was willing to go to brunch with AOC and hear her out, even if he was going to torch most of the Green New Deal.  

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Here's why I'm a Biden guy: 

3. The final most important thing for a candidate to have is how much I want to have a beer with them. Lemme tell you, the Bides is exactly the kind of guy I'd like to knock back a couple of cold ones with and shoot the shit. 

I'd rather do shots with Tulsi while she took me on a catamaran ride up and down the Na Pali Coast.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

they don't want a stop-gap, they want a time machine, same as trump keeps selling.

problem is both have plans to take us to this "mythical time" that never really existed.  like when you romanticize an ex.  it wasn't how you remember.

let's move fucking on, america.

• Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden