Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden

Parliament

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I haven't been this excited about a candidate in a long time. 

However, first, on Thursday, Biden is hosting a $2,800 dollar-a-plate fundraiser at the mansion of Comcast Executive President David Cohen in Philadelphia. Among the dozen select political power players on the host committee for Biden’s 1st fundraiser are Steven Cozen, founder and chairman of the union-busting law firm Cozen O’Connor.

HE'S ON FIRE FOLKS.

No one is reading the Democratic electorate like this guy. 

Who wants this guy to win the Dem primary?  Anybody on these threads? What percentage of the electorate  is white guys  over 60 who hate Trump and who won't vote for a lady?  Because I don't think it's more than all the other demographics combined.

Christ almighty.  If they demand we sacrifice someone along with Trump to the Kraken let's give them Bernie and throw in Biden just because.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

Who wants this guy to win the Dem primary?  Anybody on these threads? What percentage of the electorate  is white guys  over 60 who hate Trump and who won't vote for a lady?  Because I don't think it's more than all the other demographics combined.

Christ almighty.  If they demand we sacrifice someone along with Trump to the Kraken let's give them Bernie and throw in Biden just because.

I want whatever dem has the best chance to defeat president shitstain to win the primary. If that’s Biden, so be it. If that’s Bernie, so be it, if that’s the hamburgerler, so be it. 

It’s the same reason why I strongly supported Bernie in 2016, including donating substantial money, because I believed he had the best chance of defeating trump and that Hillary could actually lose the damn thing, which of course she did.

Frankly comparing one democrat to another as far as policy right now is foolish when faced with an enemy like trump. It’s like if there was an alien invasion coming and we were arguing about which candidate could provide somewhat better health care after the invasion. 

Fuck all that. Defeat trump. Save the republic. Worry about policy later. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

What do you think can beat Trump?

Weirdly, that's not a conversation we seem to be having.

I like to rely on data such as polls. Same as Manafort and the Russians did to get trump over the hump.

Right now they say Biden has the best chance of defeating trump. If that changes, great. I’ll support that candidate. 

What else would you suggest we rely on? And yes I’m aware the polls can change. IF and when they do, I’ll reevaluate. 

That makes sense. I just thought maybe you had some kind of other intuition. Do you think that polls right now are reliable enough to figure that out?

I'm not being a dick, just asking sincerely because I seriously did not see Trump winning coming AT ALL. 

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

That makes sense. I just thought maybe you had some kind of other intuition. Do you think that polls right now are reliable enough to figure that out?

I'm not being a dick, just asking sincerely because I seriously did not see Trump winning coming AT ALL. 

Most candidates for the dems are too unknown to know exactly who has the best chance to beat trump. My intuition is if the dems nominate either Biden or Bernie, they will win. With at least right now Biden having a slightly better shot.

The others? It’s an unknown, which to me may be an unnecessary and unacceptable risk, at least at this point in time.

Unlike most politicians and many pundits,  I think a competitive primary is a benefit to the eventually party candidate, particarly when they don’t have the advantage of incumbency. Hell look at Trump for a pretty good example of that. 

If I was King of America I would make Warren the president. Thankfully though, I’m not King of America. If Trump was King of America, he would make himself King for life, which is basically all we should be focusing on preventing from happening. 

What do you think can beat Trump?

Weirdly, that's not a conversation we seem to be having.

It's been tried by many people on many occasions on this board, but it always ends up with a select few people telling everyone that they are Republican trolls and centrist shitlibs and concern trolls.

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

For a democrat, yeah he is conservative.

His campaign slogan might as well be “Make America Great Again!”

His whole shtick is nostalgia for America before Trump (which wasn’t that great anyway but most people think it was so it sells). 

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I want whatever dem has the best chance to defeat president shitstain to win the primary. If that’s Biden, so be it. If that’s Bernie, so be it, if that’s the hamburgerler, so be it. 

It’s the same reason why I strongly supported Bernie in 2016, including donating substantial money, because I believed he had the best chance of defeating trump and that Hillary could actually lose the damn thing, which of course she did.

Frankly comparing one democrat to another as far as policy right now is foolish when faced with an enemy like trump. It’s like if there was an alien invasion coming and we were arguing about which candidate could provide somewhat better health care after the invasion. 

Fuck all that. Defeat trump. Save the republic. Worry about policy later. 

I disagree.   Electability is important, but so is a successful presidency that (1) fixes the damage Trump has caused and (2) doesn't lead to another terrible Republican president and Congress in the next couple of elections.   There are many Dems who can beat Trump.  I want the best Dem among that group, even if a much worse Dem would be more likely to win.  It will take a lot of work to fix what Trump has done, and a dipshit like Biden isn't the guy to do with it. (although I won't hesitate to vote for him if he is the nominee).

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I'm a very long way from a Democrat. I felt equal disgust with Hilary and Trump.

If the Demcrats would pull their fucking heads out of their asses and pick a candidate that wasn't a shit stain I might, just maybe, actually get out and vote for them.

Biden ain't the fucking one to accomplish that shit. Neither are most the trolls they are rolling out.

No offense, but the dems shouldn’t be focused on selecting their nominee to appeal to you.  It’s incredibly early to make any predictions on who it will end up being, especially in such a crowded field. But they should be concerned about a candidate who represents their policies and values- not some (I’m sorry) uninformed voter who somehow viewed Hillary and Trump as equals. And that’s honestly the nicest thing I can type on this subject 

• Like 2

I love the CHUD move of saying, "How about THIS guy?" and choosing a fellow CHUD.

Conservatives are motivated by fear and anxiety and are dominated by threat-bias. So they think that throwing up examples of things that should scare the libs will short-circuit whatever values or logic the opponent is motivated by. But we're not motivated by fear and threat-bias, so it doesn't work.

Edited by bad_teammate

3 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Most candidates for the dems are too unknown to know exactly who has the best chance to beat trump. My intuition is if the dems nominate either Biden or Bernie, they will win. With at least right now Biden having a slightly better shot. 

At least right now?  Sure, I was assuming that people would try to anticipate some changes by early next year.

By April of 2007, Obama was already in second place and just waiting for folks to drop out.  I think in comparison to the potential differences in policy this cycle, there were few policy differences in 2007.  I didn't think that any of the Dem ideas in2007 were particularly idiotic, unlike this cycle.

In other words, people are going to have to make their move, and I personally think a Beto or a Mayor Pete will catch up and pass Biden relatively soon.  I think Warren and Bernie will fight it out (unfortunately, unless Bernie makes a big gaff, I am not sure if Warren can make much headway.  One of the women (Harris?) may catch fire.

So I see the moderates, the radicals, and the New Generation each fighting three separate battles, with a bunch of them trying to be New Generation and (relatively) moderate.  I think Biden actually has the biggest downside because why the fuck him if I think someone else can excite the younger folks and still impress the rust belters.

6 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Exactly. 

I didn't like Hillary nor Trump and I'm not a devout Dem therefore I'm ignorant and stupid and my vote is not worth even working to gain.

You've made my point exactly and have in a singular post exemplified why Trump won.

My work is done here.

I enjoy the fake potential dem voter argument that is why dems need to support a centrist. That happen in 2016 and result of Clinton and Trump victory. 

I think Biden actually has the biggest downside because why the fuck him if I think someone else can excite the younger folks and still impress the rust belters.

I agree with this but I'm not sure there's anyone who can play to the rust belt like Joe can. He is _perfect_ for those people. Joe has serious flaws but he's not going to lose any Hillary states, and easily wins PA/MI/WI.

I'm hoping someone else can emerge that I feel can do the same thing but right now creepy Joe is the only one I'd bet any significant amount of money on winning all three. Meh.

I enjoy the fake potential dem voter argument that is why dems need to support a centrist. That happen in 2016 and result of Clinton and Trump victory. 
I enjoy the fake "Hillary lost because she's a centrist" argument. Hillary lost because she is terrible. Full stop.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Js1 said:

Joementum boner not fading 

i will vote for him over Trump without a single reservation but ugh let’s do better please 

Yep.  Hoping for the Mayor but in the end I’ll happily support crazy uncle Joe over demented dipshit Dotard.  

9 hours ago, tantric superman said:

In other words, people are going to have to make their move, and I personally think a Beto or a Mayor Pete will catch up and pass Biden relatively soon.  I think Warren and Bernie will fight it out (unfortunately, unless Bernie makes a big gaff, I am not sure if Warren can make much headway.  One of the women (Harris?) may catch fire.

Right now, in April 2019, everyone (besides Bernie and Biden) is jockeying for attention/oxygen.  And looking for it where they can find it (see: Pete going on Fox News).

The first debate is going to separate the cream from the wheat.  Pete, Beto and Biden look okay now, but maybe you put them next to someone with policy (Warren) or someone who looks like the Democratic primary (Harris) or anyone who isn't a card-carrying member of the AARP and they're forced to actually duke it out - I think quite a few candidates may walk away from that debate mind blown at how poor their chances are.  Every candidate looks good in a vacuum (well, not you Tulsi, you pretty much suck everywhere) - when they're on a debate stage is where the shine comes off. 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:
8 hours ago, tucker said:

I enjoy the fake "Hillary lost because she's a centrist" argument. Hillary lost because she is terrible. Full stop.

She can be a centrist and a shitty candidate. 

3 minutes ago, tucker said:

She can be a centrist and a shitty candidate. 

This is true, but the "shitty candidate" is far more responsible for her loss than any policy or centrism.

And I agree with your point below that Ds shouldn't cater to people that will never vote D. But there's a group of voters who are neither D or R who can be captured, and to bundle those people with the "I would have voted against Trump if the Ds put up a good candidate!!!!" Republicans (yeah, okay) is wrongheaded. Now whether or not capturing those independents is worth the potential risk of depressing your base is a completely different discussion worthy of having. But those voters are out there, they voted Obama->Trump, and most pundits assign Trump's win to them. 

2 minutes ago, tucker said:

That is completely missing what I said. Ds don't need to cater to people that will never vote D. 

They don't need to cater to anyone who is "a long way from being a Democrat" that won't be happy unless the Democrats run a Republican-lite. Hillary's biggest problem (because being scandal-plagued and a bad candidate, period) was that she tried to turn out more unhappy Republicans for her at the expense of the base. 

Democrats don't need to cater to unhappy Republicans because they should be voting to throw Trump out, regardless of who, and rebuild their party from the ashes of defeat.  Instead, they'll bitch and moan that Bernie/Warren/Harris/Beto are too "far-left" and vote for Trump or Gary Johnson or not vote and then spend 4 more years blaming everyone else for Trump being president.

"Why, if you had just given me a candidate that wasn't such a Democrat, I'd have voted for them!" 

• Like 3

• immamac changed the title to Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden