[Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here

Yama Yak Yachtzi

On 3/17/2024 at 1:58 PM, MuellerHorn said:

My understanding, given what I know about NIL and other sports, is that the head coach ultimately oversees the allocation of program-related NIL. Corporate NIL is another story. 

There is no such thing as program-related NIL. That would be against the current rules. There is the Texas One Fund, Corporate NIL deals, and the Surly Burnt Ends. There may be other funds like Surly, but I am not sure they have been reported here.

Now eventually I think it will move inside the purvue of the athletic department to establish baseline payments across all sports. That is when the W2's will happen and the scholarships will end.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

There is no such thing as program-related NIL. That would be against the current rules. There is the Texas One Fund, Corporate NIL deals, and the Surly Burnt Ends. There may be other funds like Surly, but I am not sure they have been reported here.

Now eventually I think it will move inside the purvue of the athletic department to establish baseline payments across all sports. That is when the W2's will happen and the scholarships will end.

I didn’t mean directly pay-for-play from Texas. Of course that’s illegal. I meant NIL funds donated/raised for the program vs. corporate NIL. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

football and mens basketball programs will never agree to that

Change the name of this shittastic thread back to something that includes “Fire”

Throw in whatever references to Lilliputians, the Lollypop Guild, Napoleon, Snow White’s roommates, or the Keebler cookie factory deemed necessary.

The sooner we flush the toilet the better…

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Change the name of this shittastic thread back to something that includes “Fire”

Also - you aren't allowed to do that because Pierce finished 3rd one year in Omaha. 

You're only allowed to call for the firing of successful black basketball coaches that have more tournament wins since taking over than the program had in the preceding 13 seasons combined.

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

The one thing that gives me hope for the future, assuming Pierce gets canned, is we have a pretty solid young core. Flores, Galvan, Gaspo, Belyeu, Kennedy, hopefully Thomas, and Galvan is a solid core to build around. We just gotta go buy one of the best portal pitchers. The class of pitchers we have coming in could be similar to the French, Peters and Curtiss class. 

3 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

If Tulo was named interim HC would he be allowed to hire an actual Pitching Coach? Does Tulo have a degree? Would he even be allowed to be HC.

No fucking way we do that. Play out the rest of the year, go try to buy O’Sullivan or whoever Oregon states coach is. Or we can say fuck it and try to get the band back together. Skip with tulo and maybe we can Jeff Choate Clay Van Hook over here.  

14 minutes ago, Fletch said:

The one thing that gives me hope for the future, assuming Pierce gets canned, is we have a pretty solid young core. Flores, Galvan, Gaspo, Belyeu, Kennedy, hopefully Thomas, and Galvan is a solid core to build around. We just gotta go buy one of the best portal pitchers. The class of pitchers we have coming in could be similar to the French, Peters and Curtiss class. 

I'm not worried about the players - this is Texas baseball - you build it the players will come. 

You need the right guy in charge. I've defended DP in the past and been patient in previous seasons but the fact that these guys can't field a fucking ground ball is sort of unacceptable. This job is too big for shit like that. 

1 minute ago, TejasPedro said:

How about Matt Deggs? Is he ready or does he need a longer soak?

If we are firing a coach that took us to Omaha 3 times in full 7 seasons and won 3 conference titles we better be shooting a little higher than the head coach at Louisiana.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

If we are firing a coach that took us to Omaha 3 times in full 7 seasons and won 3 conference titles we better be shooting a little higher than the head coach at Louisiana.

Ok. What about Clay Van Hook then?

Can we start caveating the 3 Pierce Omaha trips with Augie-recruit Kody putting the team on his back in 18 and the easiest regional/super path in college baseball history in 21? Yes, 22 was gutsy as hell. And then Pierce fielding an entire team of toddlers in all 3 Omaha game 1s in a tournament that is completely predicated on staying in the winners bracket 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Can we start caveating the 3 Pierce Omaha trips with Augie-recruit Kody putting the team on his back in 18 and the easiest regional/super path in college baseball history in 21? Yes, 22 was gutsy as hell. And then Pierce fielding an entire team of toddlers in all 3 Omaha game 1s in a tournament that is completely predicated on staying in the winners bracket 

I don’t understand why people do this

Just now, UnhappilyMarried said:

Because the plug needs to be pulled and the “3 Omaha trips” line is the only argument not to pull it 

Doesn’t mean it needs caveats. Kody was a career .240 hitter in 385 ABs, he got better under Pierce. Why does that need to be a caveat and negative.

It’s pretty much impossible to backdoor your way to Omaha. You have to advance through two rounds where you will likely face a tough challenge or two, or play well enough in the regular season to be gifted an easier regional and super regional matchup. The 2021 did the latter, the 2022 team did the former.

Downplaying previous trips to Omaha because you are currently unhappy is stupid. It’s okay to acknowledge a job well done in those seasons while questioning what is currently going on and the future.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, chase25 said:

Doesn’t mean it needs caveats. Kody was a career .240 hitter in 385 ABs, he got better under Pierce. Why does that need to be a caveat and negative.

I would suspect that Kody had superlative coaching outside of the program paid for by a rich Alumni of Texas.  Your typical Texas player does not have that.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, petscii said:

I would suspect that Kody had superlative coaching outside of the program paid for by a rich Alumni of Texas.  Your typical Texas player does not have that.

The typical Texas player has plenty of outside coaching from likely former MLB players. Most every one of these guys has a private instructor.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I don't understand what leads a coach at a school with unlimited resources to decide....F it, I will be pitching coach .

Go get the best, man. 

That decision is going to ultimately be what finishes him off at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I don't understand what leads a coach at a school with unlimited resources to decide....F it, I will be pitching coach .

Go get the best, man. 

Ego and a need to control. 

Plus, shitty anecdotal evidence that when he does relinquish the task to someone else, pitching and/or pitching recruiting falters. But that’s because he’s given the reigns to unqualified actors in relation to the “Texas standard.”

Edited by MuellerHorn

We should also caveat the third trip by asking if it really counts? We weren’t there long enough to enjoy multiple mediocre hotel breakfasts and weren’t even remotely competitive in either game. Including getting skullfucked by Aggy.

So it’s more like 2.25 trips.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TornACL said:

Go get the best, man. 

Nobody likes working with Pierce because he's a raging asshole.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Difference between being a douche and treating other coaches like shit.

Woody Williams isn’t gone because DP treated him bad. He’s gone because he can’t recruit. Before that our pitching coach wasn’t a pitching coach. 

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Woody Williams isn’t gone because DP treated him bad. He’s gone because he can’t recruit. Before that our pitching coach wasn’t a pitching coach. 

Keep carrying water for an asshole....it's well known people don't like working with Pierce because of how he is. I'd wager that also affects him in portal recruiting....it all just can't be NIL

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Keep carrying water for an asshole....it's well known people don't like working with Pierce because of how he is. I'd wager that also affects him in portal recruiting....it all just can't be NIL

Do you think having Haig, Allen, or Williams would be better for the team than DP?

Do you really think DP is the only guy on staff working with pitchers?

What pitching coach should we be targeting?

I’m not carrying water, I just think it’s funny the new anti DP talking point is that he’s coaching pitchers, something he’s done or been heavily involved in his entire career.
We just signed the #3 class in the nation. We were #8 the year before.

Edited by hobbes2702

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Ah, you have “sources”

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I have heard this said repeatedly and I have never heard any specifics. Not saying it isn't true, it's just odd that no one seems to know anything else than that oft repeated headline.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, davi34 said:

Just to put it out there, is Heefner not a realistic hire. What he has accomplished at DBU can only be optimized here with more resources no?

He doesn't want to be a big fish in the big pond. He turned down Baylor 6 or 7 years ago to stay at DBU. Incorporating faith into his baseball program is important to him. He wants to be able to lead team bible studies and all that, which you can't do at a public school.

Also, he has 5 sons (all homeschooled) and two of them now play for him. He likes the life he has.

Edited by Hookem2147

On 3/25/2024 at 11:36 AM, Hookem2147 said:

He doesn't want to be a big fish in the big pond. He turned down Baylor 6 or 7 years ago to stay at DBU. Incorporating faith into his baseball program is important to him. He wants to be able to lead team bible studies and all that, which you can't do at a public school.

Also, he has 5 sons (all homeschooled) and two of them now play for him. He likes the life he has.

Can David Pierce go be a fish in a dried pond?

On 3/23/2024 at 11:44 PM, TornACL said:

I have heard this said repeatedly and I have never heard any specifics. Not saying it isn't true, it's just odd that no one seems to know anything else than that oft repeated headline.

It isn't that DP isn't well-liked.  It's that he isn't liked at all.

JFC….so everyone around the Boss sucked. Now that the Boss stands alone…we suck in historic proportions. Hmmmmm….
  • Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here