Rachel Held Evans dies

Brisketexan

Maybe, but many PCPs over prescribe antibiotics. She had the flu and should have been told to take fluids and give it a couple of weeks for recovery.

One of her last tweets said she was in the hospital due to flu + UTI and a severe allergic reaction to one of the meds. I would imagine that a common course of treatment for a UTI is antibiotics.

10 hours ago, KYHorn said:

There was a huge debate in some of my circles during and after the Trump election (no CR) around whether the term evangelical should be abandoned because it really has just come to have little meaning....

Oh, the term "evangelical" still has a lot of meaning. 

Unfortunately, the meaning is bad.

1 hour ago, EE2B said:

One of her last tweets said she was in the hospital due to flu + UTI and a severe allergic reaction to one of the meds. I would imagine that a common course of treatment for a UTI is antibiotics.

Thanks.

10 hours ago, Bevo said:

Maybe, but many PCPs over prescribe antibiotics. She had the flu and should have been told to take fluids and give it a couple of weeks for recovery.

Yes, they do.  But in this case we have no clue on the sequence of events and the media really really sucks at reporting medical cases.  It has been reported she had flu and UTI so antibiotics would have been reasonable. And people do die from the flu so that is entirely possible as well. Unless there is a coroners report published  then we may never know. Either way, too young for a death and to leave a family behind. Definitely a tragedy.

I believe RHE's theology and influence were massively harmful to the Church, but I was still praying for her. I hate that 2 little kids are left without their mother. 37. Sucks. We're not guaranteed tomorrow, boys.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s important that she WAS from an evangelical background. That’s a big part of why her voice resonated - because “evangelical” need not be what it has become.

Probably a discussion for another thread. But I think the "evangelicals" have simply revealed what they've always been and what they always will be. There is no reason to expect anything different from them. If someone who was raised "evangelical" disagrees I think the only plausible thing to do is walk away. There are plenty of protestant religions that are more open and accepting of the real world and much less hypocritical. Leaving the Catholic church is the best decision I've ever made. It was unsustainable to attend a church that disappointed me literally every week.

1 hour ago, jkates said:

I believe RHE's theology and influence were massively harmful to the Church

Okay, I may regret asking this question, but how so?  Admittedly I know little about her, but my understanding is that she questioned traditional religious views about politics the roles of women and LGBTQ members in the church.  How is that massively harmful? 

Or maybe another question, to what particular church do you think her views were "massively harmful"? 

Edited by South Austin

And what Church?  There's the Matt. 18:20 church, and the Roman Catholic Church.  Most evangelicals have but one "church" to attend or ascribe anything to, unless you want to talk about the Southern Baptist Convention.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Okay, I may regret asking this question, but how so?  Admittedly I know little about her, but my understanding is that she questioned traditional religious views about politics the roles of women LGBTQ members in the church.  How is that massively harmful? 

Or maybe another question, to what particular church do you think her views were "massively harmful"? 

This probably isn't the forum or thread to get into that. I don't want to crap on the RIP, RHE thread with theological disagreements. 

5 hours ago, troph said:

It’s been a while since we had a quacks style theological discussion someone start it - I dare ya.

Needs its own subforum imo, maybe buried under lulz or hobbies or some shit. The CR as a default for philosophy, whether theological or otherwise isn't a good fit. That place is exclusively for slinging shit at each other and liking it. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 6:16 PM, TexOx said:

It’s a serious theological question. According to the Washington Post article, they asked for prayers, and a reverend anointed her with oil. How is that supposed to help?

There's a time and a place for that conversation.  This is neither.  Come on, man.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:16 PM, TexOx said:

It’s a serious theological question. According to the Washington Post article, they asked for prayers, and a reverend anointed her with oil. How is that supposed to help?

No, it's not a serious theological question, imo. 

Asking for prayers, when done in a positive way, brings together a group of like-minded people, sharing concern, pain, and offering support to get people through this thing called life. How the hell can one then ask "how is that supposed to help"?

Plus research shows that whether it’s God or the bond of human connection through it that prayer actually does, empirically help. Again what’s the actual thing that helps is still an open question. For now and on this thread I’m happy to say I don’t know maybe it’s a personal God.

2 hours ago, Asithappens said:

No, it's not a serious theological question, imo. 

Asking for prayers, when done in a positive way, brings together a group of like-minded people, sharing concern, pain, and offering support to get people through this thing called life. How the hell can one then ask "how is that supposed to help"?

1) he's banned

2) don't take the bait

3) if you want to have that discussion, start a new thread