Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

13 hours ago, UTDD said:

Yep.  Shaka should just hand Yaklich a clipboard and say "All yours." and leave him alone.  Good potential hire.

it would be a great hire.  the problem is when he leaves in 2 years because he improved our D we are left with...Shaka.  again better than doing nothing but the problem will still remain, just masked for a while.  if making the tourney and maybe getting a win in the first round is what we hope to "average" over the next 5-7 years then yeah Shaka is our guy.  This is assuming he can keep hiring the next big thing for assistants to cover for his ass.  Its REALLY hard to keep that formula working over and over.

12 hours ago, Machinator said:

Despite what everyone here thinks (myself included), I think I agree. He wouldn't be getting looks at the likes of Michigan if people didn't see the potential in him.

I just don't think if he can pick up the pieces and overcome his deficiencies fast enough to figure it out at Texas.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't getting a look at Michigan. It was a false flag due to Shaka interviewing the assistant.  

10 hours ago, dcar00 said:

it would be a great hire.  the problem is when he leaves in 2 years because he improved our D we are left with...Shaka.  again better than doing nothing but the problem will still remain, just masked for a while.  if making the tourney and maybe getting a win in the first round is what we hope to "average" over the next 5-7 years then yeah Shaka is our guy.  This is assuming he can keep hiring the next big thing for assistants to cover for his ass.  Its REALLY hard to keep that formula working over and over.

Definitely could go that way.  It might also keep Shaka around longer than necessary too.  But at this point, I feel like we have a dying patient bleeding out (Texas basketball program) and we are desperately applying triage in the moment to try and stay alive.    

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

1) Evidently he's not.

2) Because if he were, it's May and all their top candidates turned them down? 

3) Is he talking about people like Chris Del Conte?

4) Wescott Eberts is a fucking idiot.

The buyout for Shaka is just too big, and there is a snowball’s chance in hell that he miraculously improves his coaching next year. I’m going to bear down and fight through 2019/2020 and hope he turns it around.

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I know this guy is everywhere but he's a dumbass.  just because his name is Wescott doesn't make him knowledgeable   If Michigan wants him they can have him.  we don't hate smart we just think he is the second worst basketball coach we have had here in 40 years and his contract makes that fact even more painful.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Shaka’s not a candidate for Michigan, we just desperately want him to be becuase he’s so bad.

Wescott is such a dumb cunt. There’s a reason he’s been stuck at BON forever just mass producing shitty content. He’s like Shaka. Everyone knows he sucks so no one else will hire him away. 

https://gbmwolverine.com/2019/05/21/michigan-basketball-juwan-howard-hired-as-wolverines-head-coach/

There are now multiple reports saying that Juwan Howard is going to be the next head coach of the Michigan basketball program.

Shaka Smart and LaVall Jordan never interviewed as their buyouts would likely have been too much for Michigan to bare.

Would Texas have enforced any buyout?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 11:05 AM, dogbreath said:

Let's hire Yaklich an assistant since Michigan moved on from him.   If something happens to Shaka, then Yaklich can step right in.

Neither Texas or CDC's history points to them hiring a head coach with no prior NCAA HC experience.

On 5/24/2019 at 1:46 AM, CurlyDumps said:

If Yaklich is a rising star, hard to see him joining Shaka’s sinking ship.

Oops.

I honestly can't name anyone who's gotten more wrong about Texas hoops in recent years than BWG, and that's not just because TS12 stopped showing up on this board this season. At this point if we want Shaka to get fired or for Texas hoops to be any good we probably just need BWG to predict the opposite. 

I like BWG but his predictions for the program have been god awful. He’s massively overrated UT every year he’s publicly put out a prediction. He and Preston have been massive Shaka apologists and they’ve looked bad for it every fucking year.

him coming in here with his salty “oops” is just sad. No one is more ripe for sarcastic oops posts than BWG. 

• Like 2

if he wasn't so blatant and overt about how superior he thinks he is to the regular pleb fans of Texas Hoops then his being wrong all the time would be more funny than sad. but he's been such a dick about his own perceived superiority so many times that i can't help but laugh at his track record while shaking my head. 

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

if he wasn't so blatant and overt about how superior he thinks he is to the regular pleb fans of Texas Hoops then his being wrong all the time would be more funny than sad. but he's been such a dick about his own perceived superiority so many times that i can't help but laugh at his track record while shaking my head. 

Maybe BWG can give Horns basketball a break by covering the other UT basketball (Vols) for the 2019-2020 Season??

giphy.gif

On 6/6/2019 at 3:45 PM, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Neither Texas or CDC's history points to them hiring a head coach with no prior NCAA HC experience.

Oops.

CDC's a sharp guy. [subjunctive/]If Texas does well next season. And if Shaka moves elsewhere [/subjunctive], then I believe CDC strongly considers Yaklich.  Why, because of Yaklich making the defense effective and better. 

Keys for next year: 

Offense keep improving with Berry's influence. Ramey becomes the lead guard.

Defense improves with Yaklich. What is effect on Hepa and Baker?

Team plays hard consistently like they did in the NIT.

30 minutes ago, dogbreath said:

CDC's a sharp guy. [subjunctive/]If Texas does well next season. And if Shaka moves elsewhere [/subjunctive], then I believe CDC strongly considers Yaklich.  Why, because of Yaklich making the defense effective and better. 

Keys for next year: 

Offense keep improving with Berry's influence. Ramey becomes the lead guard.

Defense improves with Yaklich. What is effect on Hepa and Baker?

Team plays hard consistently like they did in the NIT.

I don't expect much from Baker, but am hoping for a breakout campaign from Hepa (think 10 pts, 4 reb, 35-38% shooting from deep, and becoming an at least serviceable defender). Ramey is definitely the key though. At this point Coleman  seems to simply be what he is (see: inconsistent af), and our front court has so many major question marks going into the season that  we have no choice but to lean on the guards. 

We finally have top flight assistants for both the offense and defense, but the roster is seriously lacking and Shaka is still the HC. Hard to see us finishing better than 5th or so in the league. 

I'm hoping Yaklich can provide lost of insight on the offense side too... by pointing out stuff that confuses/beats defenders and helping with fundamentals (like boxing out).

If we can hit the ground this season with the same movement and energy on offense that we showed in the NIT, it would be wonderful... if it takes 30 games before we can implement anything other than the stand around, 1 screen set, we are fucked even if the defense improves significantly.

The offense will focus on Ramey, Febres, and Coleman... I'm also hopeful Hepa brings something more that a soft shooting guard game... I'd like to see Liddell, Hamm, and Hepa all get some heavy playing time early to cut to the chase.  I'd also like to see Cunningham and some of the freshmen get meaningful minutes in some of the dud games we have scheduled instead of waiting until injury/end of the season to throw them in the fire.

• Like 1

Lulz. These comments are eerily similar to the Sterlin Gilbert-Charlie Strong nonsense on this board a few years ago. You can make good assistant hires, but if you’re HC sucks, the program will always be in trouble. 

I think Yaklich is a great hire and it’s better to have him than not, but let’s tap the breaks on talking like this ship might get turned around. We still have one of the least talented rosters we’ve had in awhile (probably the second least talented Shaka’s ever coached) and Shaka’s still the HC.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 11:15 AM, CurlyDumps said:

Oops.

Yep, didn't happen once Shaka decided to stick around. To paraphrase the mighty IT insiders when they whiffed on Saban coming here: it's what I was hearing at the time, didn't pan out though.

On 6/8/2019 at 3:46 PM, Burt Macklin said:

I like BWG but his predictions for the program have been god awful. He’s massively overrated UT every year he’s publicly put out a prediction. He and Preston have been massive Shaka apologists and they’ve looked bad for it every fucking year.

him coming in here with his salty “oops” is just sad. No one is more ripe for sarcastic oops posts than BWG. 

I try to put in caveats where appropriate, like this year when I noted my projection was based upon Jones playing more often than he actually did. If I had known they were going to hold him out to preserve a redshirt option I would have dialed things down a couple notches. Honestly, you can trace a big chunk of the last two years to the variance of Andrew Jones, first the year he missed 20+ games because of cancer and this year because of the redshirt option, both of those swung a handful of games from Ws to Ls. But yea, I've been wrong a lot; the blindspot I usually have is projecting freshmen, I'll try to watch some film but it's at best an educated guess. If I'm wrong about where the team lands, it's usually because I've overrated/underrated how the freshmen will perform.

Edited by Bitterwhiteguy

5 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Yep, didn't happen once Shaka decided to stick around. To paraphrase the mighty IT insiders when they whiffed on Saban coming here: it's what I was hearing at the time, didn't pan out though.

I try to put in caveats where appropriate, like this year when I noted my projection was based upon Jones playing more often than he actually did. If I had known they were going to hold him out to preserve a redshirt option I would have dialed things down a couple notches. Honestly, you can trace a big chunk of the last two years to the variance of Andrew Jones, first the year he missed 20+ games because of cancer and this year because of the redshirt option, both of those swung a handful of games from Ws to Ls. But yea, I've been wrong a lot; the blindspot I usually have is projecting freshmen, I'll try to watch some film but it's at best an educated guess. If I'm wrong about where the team lands, it's usually because I've overrated/underrated how the freshmen will perform.

I'll give you '17-'18, but Texas should have been a comfortable tournament team this season even without Andrew Jones.

Just now, Machinator said:

I'll give you '17-'18, but Texas should have been a comfortable tournament team this season even without Andrew Jones.

Sure, I was only speaking relative to my preseason pick. Other than the NIT performance, the team as a whole underperformed. This was Shaka's worst season as a Texas coach in terms of the roster reaching its potential.

okie dokie. you say this now, yet your "end of season grades" for Shaka and Co. were extremely forgiving, especially when considering that before the season you had Texas second in the Big XII, which over the last decade or so translates into a top 10-15 team nationally with 23, 24+ regular season wins and an expected deep tourney run. as I recall you didn't give out a grade worse than a "C" to anyone, including for your "overall season grade". so if this was Shaka's worst job at Texas and you give him a "C", that must mean that his performance up to this point was a B or an A? watching you try to squirm your way out of your own dumbass predictions every year is beyond tiring. just stop already. 

because for real man- you're full of shit with every single thing you say. you never admit when you're wrong, instead opting for endless lame excuses (oh excuse me, "caveats" 🙄) as to why you weren't actually all that wrong, and yet you have a well recorded history of openly stating that you are more intelligent and well informed than the majority of Texas basketball fans. give me a break dude. hell, give all of us a break, and just stop posting here. for real. you add nothing to the board. you have all of the hubris and self awareness of Rocko with none of the entertainment value. every post you make is a self righteous/self appreciating drain on the board.

Edited by Goo Punch

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. These comments are eerily similar to the Sterlin Gilbert-Charlie Strong nonsense on this board a few years ago. You can make good assistant hires, but if you’re HC sucks, the program will always be in trouble.  

Except Yaklich appears to be an actual good hire, with an established track record.  As opposed to Gilbert, who was simply an incorrect bet on scheme and upside.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

okie dokie. you say this now, yet your "end of season grades" for Shaka and Co. were extremely forgiving, especially when considering that before the season you had Texas second in the Big XII, which over the last decade or so translates into a top 10-15 team nationally with 23, 24+ regular season wins and an expected deep tourney run. as I recall you didn't give out a grade worse than a "C" to anyone, including for your "overall season grade". so if this was Shaka's worst job at Texas and you give him a "C", that must mean that his performance up to this point was a B or an A? watching you try to squirm your way out of your own dumbass predictions every year is beyond tiring. just stop already. 

because for real man- you're full of shit with every single thing you say. you never admit when you're wrong, instead opting for endless lame excuses (oh excuse me, "caveats" 🙄) as to why you weren't actually all that wrong, and yet you have a well recorded history of openly stating that you are more intelligent and well informed than the majority of Texas basketball fans. give me a break dude. hell, give all of us a break, and just stop posting here. for real. you add nothing to the board. you have all of the hubris and self awareness of Rocko with none of the entertainment value. every post you make is a self righteous/self appreciating drain on the board.

This is ironic

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

no one should have made any prediction considering Jones playing. pretty much a cop out there, IMO.  BTW, your last comment is exactly why we will suck again next year.  Shaka's problem is we are always banking on Freshmen because no one gets better under him.  the guy caught lightning in a bottle and we(meaning dumbass patterson) decided to actually bet on catching lightning in a bottle twice.  The guy is so fucking out of his depth in this league its not even funny.  Bruce Weber and scott Drew are bitch slapping him for god sakes.  we deserve better and I have to believe CDC sees it plain as day.

NIT is basically a bit better OOC schedule. not impressed at all.  CDC wants us to be top 10 in all sports.  we are in 12 of 20 and got there last year in baseball(not happy with Pierce and he is on the hot seat after finishing last).

bottom line - Shaka is not even close to a top 10 coach in a MAJOR conference.

Bottom line - it is obvious Smart is not even close to a top 10 coach.

I think Yaklich is a great hire and it’s better to have him than not, but let’s tap the breaks on talking like this ship might get turned around. We still have one of the least talented rosters we’ve had in awhile (probably the second least talented Shaka’s ever coached) and Shaka’s still the HC.

Now see there’s a reason it sounds eerily similar to the Sterlin Gilbert-Charlie Strong hire. I said the same thing about that too. Nailed it!

2 hours ago, txhorns said:

This is ironic

no, it really isn't. not even a little bit. for starters, nobody here has a better track record when it comes to assessing our players and team over the last four years than i do. preemptively and post mortem, from player evals to assistant hires to predicting our W/L records, I've been consistently right a helluva lot more than i've been wrong. that's a fact. i mean there's only like four of us who even consistently give any of our own opinions or thoughts on the program and its coaches and players, and every single one of us has been much more fair and accurate with predictions and assessments than BWG.By a mile.

and, unlike BWG, not a single one of us has a history of touting our own superior knowledge of Texas basketball when compared to the rest of the board, or claiming that the rest of you are just uneducated plebs who simply don't understand the game enough to realize that shaka's been doing a great job. so let's get those facts straight right now. and finally, i don't recall any of us having a problem admitting we were wrong about something, because that happens and it's no big deal. well, unless you're a pompous, self-deluded blowhard like BWG. Different story then.

Edited by Goo Punch

49 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Same post.

i posted that now, for the first time, as a factual refutation to the assertion that my post was "ironic". BWG otoh does it on a semi-regular basis, unprompted, in a condescending manner towards other Texas fans. he goes out of his way to tell them/us that we simply don't understand the game the way he does. example: this past season when BWG assured us that shaka at Texas "was doing as well as could be expected of any coach in his situation", and had the nerve to outright say that anyone who didn't understand this assertion simply doesn't understand the game/sport the way he does. he's a dick.

listen, i understand that it's very hard/impossible for many of you to ever come around on me; i know that. but at some point you can't ignore the truth, the truth is that BWG is an elitist prick with a terrible track record when it comes to assessing Texas hoops. me? I'm a hypersensitive, reactive hothead who responds poorly when provoked, but who also has a pretty damn stellar record when it comes to assessing Texas hoops. both can be/are true, and there's nothing ironic about me pointing that out.

Edited by Goo Punch

38 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i posted that now, for the first time, as a factual refutation to the assertion that my post was "ironic". BWG otoh does it on a semi-regular basis, unprompted, in a condescending manner towards other Texas fans. he goes out of his way to tell them/us that we simply don't understand the game the way he does. example: this past season when BWG assured us that shaka at Texas "was doing as well as could be expected of any coach in his situation", and had the nerve to outright say that anyone who didn't understand this assertion simply doesn't understand the game/sport the way he does. he's a dick.

listen, i understand that it's very hard/impossible for many of you to ever come around on me; i know that. but at some point you can't ignore the truth, the truth is that BWG is an elitist prick with a terrible track record when it comes to assessing Texas hoops. me? I'm a hypersensitive, reactive hothead who responds poorly when provoked, but who also has a pretty damn stellar record when it comes to assessing Texas hoops. both can be/are true, and there's nothing ironic about me pointing that out.

I post here everyday and I've never seen it. And who the hell are you to tell other posters not to post here? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I post here everyday and I've never seen it. And who the hell are you to tell other posters not to post here? 

well that's weird, because this is only about the 15th time i've brought this up, including posting links to his quotes before. i remember maybe the first time i brought it up some poster who out and out dislikes me (can't remember who) quoted me to affirm what i'd said about BWG, saying, "You know it's bad when I agree with Derka." sounds like you're pretty out of the loop on this one, but don't let that stop you from responding with incredulity. 

so funny how people like you and matt have no problem railing on me, yet you take major umbrage with me calling out another poster who is a total dick. but i guess having it both way so like that is shaggy/surly 101, so what's new.

Edited by Goo Punch

also, are you seriously saying that you've never heard or seen the myriad of posts on this board comparing BWG and Wescott Eberts, often involving people asking if they are one in the same? you've never seen that posted here? because it's happened more than a handful of times, including/especially this past season. and I don't know a single person who likes or respects WE. if you want to hold me accountable for the things i do, or for things i did a long time ago, that's fine; but the same needs to go for everyone else. 

edit: and just for posterity/to set the record straight- when BWG announced at the beginning of last season that he was above speaking to me, totally unprovoked, i saw that as a pretty huge dick move, but i never said anything about it. in fact, i earnestly replied to him all season, despite him 100% following through in the whole "i'm above conversing with derka" thing (even though he would often reply to people who had quoted me and reiterated my point). i didn't say anything about it. i let it go. it wasn't until he came here and dropped the line about, "shaka has done as well at Texas as anyone else could possibly have done, and most of our fans just don't understand the sport well enough to know that", that i said, "OKAY; Fuck this guy with a capital F." and i've called him on his shit every single time since then. 

he is a self righteous prick who has gone out of his way to insult and belittle others. your  ignorance to this is not an excuse for you to attack me when you and many others have jumped all over my case for this exact same behavior. i don't just call out any old poster and take them to task, ive done this with BWG because he's gone out of his way to deserve it. 

Edited by Goo Punch

I enjoy reading multiple posters and sources even if some of their predictions are wrong.  Yes BWG makes mistakes.  Yes Wes Eberts often says dumb stuff.  Lots of regular posters write some crazy shit.  I make mistakes too.

But I also enjoy getting longhorn nuggets from all these different sources and it helps me enjoy Texas sports even more.  Part of being a fan is learning as much as you care to learn about your teams, having opinions good and bad, and cheering and yelling like hell at the Longhorns. 😀 

Thanks to everyone who participates on Surly.  Even the ones who piss me off sometimes!!

Hook 'em Bevo !!

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

CDC seems to be a pretty astute guy.  Any chance this hire is a quiet stepping stone to head coach once Shaka's termination $ are deemed acceptable?

After all the whining this decade about hiring unproven coaches, people will surely be satisfied hiring someone with zero head coaching experience in D1 college basketball!

yeah i don't want Yaklich as our next HC no matter what he does under Shaka. he's already set the bar extremely high with the job he did at Michigan. two straight top 5 teams in adjD, including last season when Michigan had one of the best AdjD ratings in the history of kenpom. now that being said we will be relatively young, we will lack depth, we will lack post presence/talent/acumen, and we could very well fall off/fail to exceed last year's D (26th in AdjD). That said I still expect us to have one hell of a defense with Yaklich here, particularly if he outlasts Shaka. Still, he's not ready for this job. Not even close. I just hope that a year from now Shaka is gone and Yaklich is still here in his current role.

16 hours ago, dcar00 said:

no one should have made any prediction considering Jones playing. pretty much a cop out there, IMO.  BTW, your last comment is exactly why we will suck again next year.  Shaka's problem is we are always banking on Freshmen because no one gets better under him.  the guy caught lightning in a bottle and we(meaning dumbass patterson) decided to actually bet on catching lightning in a bottle twice.  The guy is so fucking out of his depth in this league its not even funny.  Bruce Weber and scott Drew are bitch slapping him for god sakes.  we deserve better and I have to believe CDC sees it plain as day.

NIT is basically a bit better OOC schedule. not impressed at all.  CDC wants us to be top 10 in all sports.  we are in 12 of 20 and got there last year in baseball(not happy with Pierce and he is on the hot seat after finishing last).

bottom line - Shaka is not even close to a top 10 coach in a MAJOR conference.

Bottom line - it is obvious Smart is not even close to a top 10 coach.

For context and to shed a bit of light on why I made the prediction: prior to the season, I heard from some close to the Jones family that they were expecting him to play significant minutes. There was an offhand mention of the coaches broaching the topic of him redshirting, but I only heard it mentioned once so I dismissed it as unlikely. That's where I made my error; if I had taken the redshirting talk more seriously then I would have adjusted my expectations.

As for banking on freshman, this year will be the first since his first season where Texas won't be reliant on any freshmen for baseline competence. There's a decent chance there are zero freshmen in the starting lineup for portions of this season depending on how Baker/Jones integrate into things; a starting lineup of Coleman - Ramey - Jones/Febres - Hepa - Sims is pretty likely unless Liddell or Baker show out in the offseason.

@Goo Punch Given the way you behave towards others your sensitivity towards "attacks" is a bit shocking.  And your interpretation of what does and doesn't constitute an attack varies wildly depending on whether you're delivering it or it's being done to you. For classification, asking you who you are to tell other posters not to post here isn't an attack.  

• Like 2

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic