Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

35 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Obligatory in before classics,  and I loved page 99, popcorn, subscribed, etc.   The truth of the matter is some of us olds actually saw the best basketball coach in Texas history, Abe.  Even though Abe’s personality dominated the program, he actually excelled in two other facets, recruiting and development.  His teams could play fast high scoring, or slow low scoring.  Look it up, the 14-0 horns before Wacker injury beat 2 top 10 teams by an average of about 14 points.  The team was on its way to the final four.  national players of the year?nope.....one legit. All American, lasalle and one legit. 1st team all conference, Wacker.  Desire, heart, chemistry, and coaching.  And talk about playing loose.   Your team reflects your coaches personality.  It is very possible that team would have played The loosest of the final 4 teams had Waco not happened, and we would have been in the championship game. 

Just found a great write-up on the link below by  srr50  (a few posts down)  regarding that 1981-82 team where Mike Wacker got hurt.  Great memories of that Jan 1982 stretch right before the injury.  Horns first went on the road and defeated the #10 ranked UH squad with Clyde Drexler and a freshman Center by the name of Akeem Olajuwon.   Then the Horns beat the #9 ranked Arkansas team in Austin. Texas next defeated TCU and followed that with a big win over South Carolina that was nationally televised and boosted Texas to a 14-0 record and a #5 national ranking.  

What a great team that 1981-82 Texas squad was until that devastating injury that Mike Walker suffered on that stupid rubber court in Waco.

https://www.hornfans.com/threads/mike-wacker.26368/

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just found a great write-up on the link below by  srr50  (a few posts down)  regarding that 1981-82 team where Mike Wacker got hurt.  Great memories of that Jan 1982 stretch right before the injury.  Horns first went on the road and defeated the #10 ranked UH squad with Clyde Drexler and a freshman Center by the name of Akeem Olajuwon.   Then the Horns beat the #9 ranked Arkansas team in Austin. Texas next defeated TCU and followed that with a big win over South Carolina that was nationally televised and boosted Texas to a 14-0 record and a #5 national ranking.  

What a great team that 1981-82 Texas squad was until that devastating injury that Mike Walker suffered on that stupid rubber court in Waco.

https://www.hornfans.com/threads/mike-wacker.26368/

I was at that UH game. If I remember correctly, Wacker was unstoppable and the best player on the court. He was knocking down 3s and when UH would go out an guard him, he would go right around them and score near the hoop. That was one of the most amazing player performances that I ever saw.

Also, I think that I read that until Wacker got hurt, the horns were never behind once in any game. If thats true, that was just incredible.

I was at that UH game. If I remember correctly, Wacker was unstoppable and the best player on the court. He was knocking down 3s and when UH would go out an guard him, he would go right around them and score near the hoop.

So Wacker was making shots then getting fouled? The 3-point line was not implemented until 1986 in college.

That was some bullshit Sutton pulled for the SWCTF back in 78/79 season with that stall-ball, beating Texas 39-38.  One of the reasons why I wasn't excited about his hire at UK. 

Wife(gf @ time) and me got to the HOT Coliseum late for that Baylor game and the Wacker injury had already happened, Horns fans there were pretty deflated.  

On 4/20/2019 at 10:52 PM, Goo Punch said:

that's all i've been saying anyway. mack won a national title. end of story. 

No it's not the end of the story. He went on to play for another title in '09 that most would agree we would have won if not for the unfortunate injury to Colt. So even without the NC, Mack exceeded any accomplishment of Rick Barnes.

1) Curious what Darrin Horn's salary was as an Asst Coach at Texas?

2) Who will Shaka be able to hire as a replacement with his tenure at Texas on such thin ice?

Maybe some recently fired Head Coach or someone from their former staff??

2019 COACHING CHANGES

Edited by LTtxfan

24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

1) Curious what Darrin Horn's salary was as an Asst Coach at Texas?

This was his salary as an assistant coach:https://salaries.texastribune.org/university-of-texas-at-austin/darrin-mckinley-horn/1500714/

Keep in mind he was promoted to associate coach in 2018, so his final salary was likely higher.

The Big Ten had an experimental three-point line in '83, I think, and Ted Kitchel for Indiana shot something like 70%. On threes. 70%. Line might have been too close. 

I would like to see the three-point line moved to thirty feet, or eliminated. And I'd like to see the court lengthened and widened, with more room behind the basket on the baseline.

On 4/20/2019 at 11:04 PM, Goo Punch said:

You know there's a helluva lot of people here on this very board (and the baseball board) who have zero problems giving a differing take...without all of the dramatics.

Shame for the board you're incapable of being one of those people.

• Like 4

On 4/21/2019 at 11:18 PM, realgreggym said:

I was at that UH game. If I remember correctly, Wacker was unstoppable and the best player on the court. He was knocking down 3s and when UH would go out an guard him, he would go right around them and score near the hoop. That was one of the most amazing player performances that I ever saw.

Also, I think that I read that until Wacker got hurt, the horns were never behind once in any game. If thats true, that was just incredible.

Fucking Baylor POS basketball court.  I remember listening to that game on the radio while at UT.   The Missouri football field of basketball courts. 

14 minutes ago, JustBecause said:

Fucking Baylor POS basketball court.  I remember listening to that game on the radio while at UT.   The Missouri football field of basketball courts. 

Help me out. Was that game at HOT because if it was, you are correct. That was a temporary floor that they put in and removed after every game. To make matters worse and I kid you not, every time we were there, we had to walk from the locker room through a bunch of farm yard animals to get to the court. Think of walking through San Francisco keeping your head down for surprise droppings. The good 'ol SWC. Best conference ever.

2 hours ago, dogbreath said:

So, football has hired former HC's (Fedora, Beaty) to be advisers to the football program.   Does Del Conte hire advisers for the basketball program in addition to an assistant coach to replace Horn?  And if not, why not?  

Different rules governing the 2 sports. I'm not sure if the NCAA allows analyst positions for bball.  However, there are shitload of guys who sit behind the team and coaching staff during games who have roles analogous to analyst type positions. 

Chris Beard’s new contract includes a poison pill buyout targeting Texas

Hiring Beard next offseason would cost the Longhorns $16.5 million.

"Buying out the guaranteed contract for Smart would be expensive for Texas, too, as Smart will have $10.5 million left on the remaining four years of his contract following the 2019-20 season. As a result, unless the Horns negotiate a settlement with Smart after next season, it would cost $16.5 million just to hire Beard, on top of whatever raise would be necessary to convince him to leave Lubbock, likely at least $5 million per season to start since Beard is scheduled to make an average of $4.6 million under his new extension."

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/4/29/18523450/chris-beard-contract-buyout-texas-tech-texas-longhorns-shaka-smart

2 hours ago, maninblack said:

The attendance numbers are going to be stellar in 19/20

Wait until you see how shittastic our non-conf. schedule is, too.  At least the home portion.  We do play Duke and Georgetown...but in new York . 

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Wait until you see how shittastic our non-conf. schedule is, too.  At least the home portion.  We do play Duke and Georgetown...but in new York . 

Honest question - based on what?  Do you just anticipate more neutral site contests? 

All they've announced is Duke/Georgetown in NY and we play @ Providence for the Big 12/Big East challenge.  Nothing else.  We were on the road for the SEC/Big 12 challenge so  we host our SEC opponent in 2020.  

It wasn't great last year because we played so many neutral site games against marquee opponents (Arky, UNC, MSU) but we at least had Purdue and VCU come to Austin (and had to go to Georgia). 

Shaka's non-con schedules have been weak as shit. No longer do we host the likes of UNC, Sparty, UCLA, Villanova, Wake Forest with CP3 and Howard, etc, not do we go visit these teams on their home floor. We get all of our really good teams in neutral site tourneys and then play a bunch of random small schools from outside the state. Shit has suuuuucked.

12 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Shaka's non-con schedules have been weak as shit. No longer do we host the likes of UNC, Sparty, UCLA, Villanova, Wake Forest with CP3 and Howard, etc, not do we go visit these teams on their home floor. We get all of our really good teams in neutral site tourneys and then play a bunch of random small schools from outside the state. Shit has suuuuucked.

Is that on Shaka or is that a new trend overall? Tech's home schedule non-conf last year was GARBAGE because they played their good games neutral as well.

KU had one, maybe two good home games (Tree and Villanova) but played their marquee games neutral site.  About the equivalent of us playing VCU/Purdue at home. 

Duke played all their marquee non-conf games except the Big 10/ACC challenge at neutral sites: Kentucky, Auburn, Gonzaga, Tech all neutral site

Edited by Js1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Is that on Shaka or is that a new trend overall? Tech's home schedule non-conf last year was GARBAGE because they played their good games neutral as well.

KU had one, maybe two good home games (Tree and Villanova) but played their marquee games neutral site.  About the equivalent of us playing VCU/Purdue at home. 

Duke played all their marquee non-conf games except the Big 10/ACC challenge at neutral sites: Kentucky, Auburn, Gonzaga, Tech all neutral site

It's more that Barnes is notorious for scheduling as tough of a non-con schedule as he can, including home and home series with the likes of UNC, Sparty, and UCLA, whereas Shaka has been setting us up with much easier schedules, which would be easier to stomach if he actually used those easier schedules to experiment with his lineups and tactics, giving guys like Royce Hamm and James Banks some actual PT. Instead, he's stuck to his oddly short bench and inexplicable substitution strategies, and we've failed to properly take advantage of these easier/less important early season matchups. It's been a real drag.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

It's more that Barnes is notorious for scheduling as tough of a non-con schedule as he can, including home and home series with the likes of UNC, Sparty, and UCLA, whereas Shaka has been setting us up with much easier schedules, which would be easier to stomach if he actually used those easier schedules to experiment with his lineups and tactics, giving guys like Royce Hamm and James Banks some actual PT. Instead, he's stuck to his oddly short bench and inexplicable substitution strategies, and we've failed to properly take advantage of these easier/less important early season matchups. It's been a real drag.

What was Barnes' notorious non-con home schedule he did for this year? Georgia Tech? West Virginia (out of his control because the league office determines the matchup and home/away for SEC/Big 12)

L'ville, Kansas, Gonzaga - all neutral

I don't give a shit how much you hate Shaka, but EVERY TEAM is now playing marquee opponents at neutral sites.  Either the powers that be (ESPN/CBS/FOX) are at fault because they're only broadcasting if they can get a bunch of them in one location or.... I guess it's all Shaka's fault when these tournaments come calling and offer up marquee opponents. We should just refuse. 

Edited by Js1

37 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I agree with the criticism of Shaka's management in noncon games, but the data don't support the idea that we play generally easier schedules, at least compared to the final years under Barnes. In fact, it shows the exact opposite.

If you want to use RPI instead:

Last four Barnes years: 99, 207, 198, 88

Shaka years (used NET for 2018-19):  33, 59, 95, 18

Here's the KenPom numbers, though they are slightly skewed because they included postseason nonconference games (not that there were too many except for this past season's NIT run)

Last four years of Barnes: 198, 204, 213, 234

Shaka years: 31, 103, 99, 41

Edited by Machinator

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

What was Barnes' notorious non-con home schedule he did for this year? Georgia Tech? West Virginia (out of his control because the league office determines the matchup and home/away for SEC/Big 12)

L'ville, Kansas, Gonzaga - all neutral

I don't give a shit how much you hate Shaka, but EVERY TEAM is now playing marquee opponents at neutral sites.  Either the powers that be (ESPN/CBS/FOX) are at fault because they're only broadcasting if they can get a bunch of them in one location or.... I guess it's all Shaka's fault when these tournaments come calling and offer up marquee opponents. We should just refuse. 

What does this year's Tennessee schedule have to do with anything? What does me "hating 'Shaka" have to do with anything? We aren't talking about any of that. You came in here ostensibly to talk about scheduling, only to immediately go full Derka and completely spaz out out of nowhere, ranting about me hating Shaka and how everything is Shaka's fault when we accept bids to tournaments and other nonsense. I don't even know what to say to that or what you're even angry about. 

Edited by Goo Punch

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I agree with the criticism of Shaka's management in noncon games, but the data don't support the idea that we play generally easier schedules, at least compared to the final years under Barnes. In fact, it shows the exact opposite.

If you want to use RPI instead:

Last four Barnes years: 99, 207, 198, 88

Shaka years (used NET for 2018-19):  33, 59, 95, 18

Here's the KenPom numbers, though they are slightly skewed because they included postseason nonconference games (not that there were too many except for this past season's NIT run)

Last four years of Barnes: 198, 204, 213, 234

Shaka years: 31, 103, 99, 41

???? Huh? 

2015 we played at Kentucky and at UCONN

2014 we played at UNC and then hosted Sparty three days later

2013 we hosted UNC then played at Sparty three days later 

2012 we played at UCLA and at UNC

Whay has Shaka done in the non-con that's remotely resembles that? Our biggest home game this year was against a Purdue squad that wasn't playing and well, isn't a blue blood, and wasn't even a marquee game. I don't understand how anyone can argue with that i said above when it's facts- Barnes used to use his non con to play true home and road games vs blue bloods, Shaka doesn't. Facts. 

Just now, Goo Punch said:

???? Huh? 

2015 we played at Kentucky and at UCONN

2014 we played at UNC and then hosted Sparty three days later

2013 we hosted UNC then played at Sparty three days later 

2012 we played at UCLA and at UNC

Whay has Shaka done in the non-con that's remotely resembles that? Our biggest home game this year was against a Purdue squad that wasn't playing and well, isn't a blue blood, and wasn't even a marquee game. I don't understand how anyone can argue with that i said above when it's facts- Barnes used to use his non con to play true home and road games vs blue bloods, Shaka doesn't. Facts. 

"It's more that Barnes is notorious for scheduling as tough of a non-con schedule as he can,"

I was arguing against that. I don't care about the home-and-home stuff - it's less exciting, yes, but what ultimately matters is that the team is playing legit competition in the nonconference, which in theory tests them (not that it has mattered) and helped with our NCAA tournament selection cause.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

"It's more that Barnes is notorious for scheduling as tough of a non-con schedule as he can,"

I was arguing against that. I don't care about the home-and-home stuff - it's less exciting, yes, but what ultimately matters is that the team is playing legit competition in the nonconference, which in theory tests them (not that it has mattered) and helped with our NCAA tournament selection cause.

gotcha.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic