Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

15 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

In an interview with Horns247, Del Conte confirmed that Smart will return to Texas for a fifth season following the 21-16 finish. However, Del Conte also made it clear that the team is not where it needs to be and emphasized that the goal is to win the NCAA Tournament, not the NIT.

“We’re not where we want to be,” Del Conte told Horns247. “But we’re making progress. Our goal is to win the NCAA championship. But we won the NIT championship, and that locker room is cohesive…”

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2019-nit-championship-bracket-scores-texas-claims-title-after-taking-down-lipscomb-in-new-york/

Fool me once, shame on you...fool me 5 times, I think the horse is dead, Jim.

31 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Fool me once, shame on you...fool me 5 times, I think the horse is dead, Jim.

I give Del credit for stepping up and clearly addressing the issue immediately and publicly

there was no "give them a few days to celebrate", there was no lack of clarity of expectations, and no bullshit a bout this being any type of accomplishment that changes views on anything 

everything so far points to Shaka sucks, but Texas had to fire a football coach after 3 seasons, fired a legend of a baseball coach and struggled in that search for a replacement that looks like is working so far and is building a team, there were womens coaches to fire and this is a terrible year to replace a mens BB coach in terms of availability of names and number of other programs looking for a coach....similar to when baseball was looking for a coach

if Texas was knocked out early or played like shit in a final game and got knocked out late who knows....but at some point even for Texas you can't just churn through coaches and expect shit to go good and at least with mens BB it is not like he can run shit much further into the ground for the next guy so one year sucks to wait, but it is probably best in terms of getting the best available future coach

I joked in the game thread last night, but this is Duke in 1984ish, am I right? Juggernaut coming!

I think next year is more likely like UT football 2016, but prove me wrong, Shaka.  The roster could be pretty solid next year if the requisite folks make some incremental improvement and the freshmen can contribute.  

So, if Shaka had assistant coaches who were responsible for his VCU teams success (limited) and his buyout is what keeps him here, then we should go after better asst. coaches and just let Shaka recruit? Didn't that work for Mack in football? Short term anyway.

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

this is a terrible year to replace a mens BB coach in terms of availability of names and number of other programs looking for a coach....similar to when baseball was looking for a coach

This was probably one of the best years to be a rich program looking for a coach. The two best young coaches with real skins on the wall were both underpaid and supposedly looking. Next year is even worse as there will be no proven young commodities that aren't getting well-paid and we will either be force to pay a ton to get a guy that might be on the downside of his career or we are reaching on a complete unknown and, knowing the way Texas works, we will aggressively overpay to cross our fingers and hope we have found a real coach with very limited data.

9 minutes ago, gecko said:

we should hire the UCONN women's coach Geno Areola 

Well...he has been to twelve consecutive Final Fours and not lost a conference game in six years. I mean I guess he must know something about basketball.

Edited by Valmy77

22 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

On the other hand, there is no greater feeling as a sports fan than losing to Kansas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas State, Iowa State ... well everyone in the Big 12 basically ... and then waking up the next morning, checking the KenPom stats, and finding that you’ve actually moved up in the rankings because of strength of schedule.  God bless you, KenPom. 

wrong, asshole, what about the feeling you get when you beat Lipscomb and win the NIT National Championship 

I had a long drive last night, and would typically listen to any Longhorn game on such a drive, but I truly forgot that the Horns were playing for The Banner last night.  When I got home I remembered and looked at the ESPN app for the score.  I laughed when I saw that our "star player" (that would rather smoke pot than play basketball) was doing 360 dunks on mighty Lipscomb.  What a joke.  

But at least it is all rounding into form for next year

And we kick ass in KenPom

the best he had was that the locker room is cohesive, well yeah because the coach is BFF's with the players.  too funny.  another 5th/6th/7th place finish in the big 12 comin' up.  not unexpected but it is too bad we apparently don't give a shit about basketball.  whatever...

40 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm sure there's still an Andrew Jones thread somewhere, but fuck it:  is he expected to play next year?  His name never seems to come up in the "well, we still have Coleman, Sims, Febres, Ramey, etc." discussions.

Andrew Jones is the X factor. If he's fully healthy he pretty much brings all of Roach's good qualities and more without any of the bad.  

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Andrew Jones is the X factor. If he's fully healthy he pretty much brings all of Roach's good qualities and more without any of the bad.  

I don’t know man. I hear medical marijuana can be used for his condition 

So much of this is reminiscent of the Strong days in football.

Beat a top ranked team, then trip repeatedly over your own dick and lose to a third rate nobody. Get smoked in conference play, but play the rivals hard. Splotchy play from the stars, but the locker room is like family! So much love! A real connection to the coach! Mediocre seasons and a promised land that's always jussst out of reach.

Too soon. Screw this clown. We dominate in conference next year and I'll think again.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Part of next season may depend  on when his treatments end. IMO which means nothing, he should focus on coming off the bench if he can give  us a good 10-15 minutes a game and then again assuming that his treatments are over, become a workout warrior during the next off season and focus on starting his senior year and kicking serious tuckus. He needs to look at this as a 2 year journey and not just next year. 

• Like 1

I'd rather be at TCU if I were Dixon. It's his alma mater, they really like him and want him there, he's going to get a raise, and he already is the head of a program that's just as likely to win anything as UCLA is right now, only with nike of the pressure or expectation. Also, doesn't money go farther in Texas and than California? Point being, I wouldn't take that job if I were him, If take my raise. 

22 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

This team makes the tourney next year. Anyone who predicts otherwise doesn’t know a damn thing. 

dope. that's what we were all hoping for when we hired Shaka. we all envisioned that, going into year 5 of the shaka smart era, that our fans would be throwing down the gauntlet, drawing a line in the sand, and saying proudly, "I bet you anything we make the tournament next year." Whooo, come on and party tonight! 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

dope. that's what we were all hoping for when we hired Shaka. we all envisioned that, going into year 5 of the shaka smart era, that our fans would be throwing down the gauntlet, drawing a line in the sand, and saying proudly, "I bet you anything we make the tournament next year." Whooo, come on and party tonight! 

I'm sorry that my enthusiasm regarding my alma mater offends you, Derka.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

This team makes the tourney next year. Anyone who predicts otherwise doesn’t know a damn thing. 

Everyone said that about this team as well. So it's a 50/50 proposition at best. The problem is that Texas didn't hire Smart to "make" the tournament. Hopefully Del Conte told Smart anything less than a conference title or Sweet 16 run and he's fired.

Edited by HtownHorn

I don’t know. 

I read somewhere that Mike Khrushchev-ski sucked shit through a straw for his first 4 years at Duke. 

The rest is history. 

Seeing as he has sucked shit through a straw for 4 years, Shaka is obviously about to go on a 40-year run of excellence. Right? Right?

tenor.gif?itemid=9083533

Putting Fozzz on ignore doesn’t have much effect when you fuckers keep quoting him. Idk why you waste your time. That dude made himself look like such a moron midseason defending Shaka that he’s now just trying to be a troll in an effort to make people think he was never serious in the first place. Just ignore him, or at least stop quoting him for the sake of those of us who’ve put him on ignore. 

• Like 2

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic