Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

These championship NIT moments are what strong teams and men are made from, when we are back in the same position next year in the CBI, we will have the confidence to stare down any undermanned mid major on our way to the crown. I say we keep him, imagine hanging banners in back to back years in 2 out of the 3 college basketball tournaments. Sign me up!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Juke_Em said:

Too much talent returning next year...Sweet 16 or bust for Shaka. Anything less and he'll be outta here and not even CDC can deny that

That was this year as well. This team isn't going to the Sweet 16 with Shaka coaching them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TxTower said:

Well it looks like we’re going to find out.

Whatever it is I’ll laminate it for them. I bought a lamination kit off amazon and I’ve almost laminated everything in the house and become a master laminator, which I made up and printed out a certificate for.

Then, get this, I laminated that certificate 

Edited by mr. sunshine
laminating fumes
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, markstanco said:

Play in game losers aren't in the tourney bracket.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

First Four (play-in) games are considered tournament games for the purposes of record-keeping.

Edited by Machinator

4 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

We are now arguably the team left out of the tournament with the best argument that we should have been in. 

That’s a pretty impressive ceiling. 

Texas is objectively better than at least half the teams in the tournament. 

At this point our good options have dried up. Beard doesn't need to come to Texas to compete for titles and he is going to get paid whether he is here or in Lubbock, but he doesn't have to rebuild at Tech. Buzz never seemed like a priority and if that is the case then Muss and Wojo shouldn't have made the cut. Not sure who CDC has on his list, but there really aren't many realistic options left right now. The big name guys will still be around next year, but with salaries escalating fast I am not sure how we entice a known guy to come for a top-to-bottom rebuild without again running into the supposed money issues we faced this year. I don't see any mid-major options that would be worth taking a risk on in the near term.

I think you misread his post. He's saying that the connection is there, but the actual teaching/learning of the game isn't.

Which brings up the most irritating thing about the way the team played the last few games. Skill and execution is obviously critical, but at the college level you can achieve quite a lot through sheer effort and hustle. We saw what this Texas team can do on those fronts in the last three games or so, why couldn't we see that all year? I agree that the players seem to love Smart, so why couldn't he get them to play like that the entire season?

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think you misread his post. He's saying that the connection is there, but the actual teaching/learning of the game isn't.

Which brings up the most irritating thing about the way the team played the last few games. Skill and execution is obviously critical, but at the college level you can achieve quite a lot through sheer effort and hustle. We saw what this Texas team can do on those fronts in the last three games or so, why couldn't we see that all year? I agree that the players seem to love Smart, so why couldn't he get them to play like that the entire season?

No I got it he's not a great X's and O's coach right now.  A big part of his success at VCU was because of Will Wade and Mike Rhoades. Really good skills coaches, but not the personality of Shaka.

Just now, markstanco said:

Losing wouldnt have helped his case however.  

I guess. Hey look our program had a grand total of two NCAA tournament games in the past decade. So yeah I took a little joy in the consolation bracket. Is that wrong? IS THAT SO WRONG?

20 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

At this point our good options have dried up. Beard doesn't need to come to Texas to compete for titles and he is going to get paid whether he is here or in Lubbock, but he doesn't have to rebuild at Tech. Buzz never seemed like a priority and if that is the case then Muss and Wojo shouldn't have made the cut. Not sure who CDC has on his list, but there really aren't many realistic options left right now. The big name guys will still be around next year, but with salaries escalating fast I am not sure how we entice a known guy to come for a top-to-bottom rebuild without again running into the supposed money issues we faced this year. I don't see any mid-major options that would be worth taking a risk on in the near term.

CDC will have his work cut out for him hiring the next Men's Basketball HC at Texas if Beard isn't interested.  Hopefully CDC will be able to find the right fit..... agree the current candidate field is underwhelming.  Maybe there's a diamond in the rough that would love to be at Texas..... just don't want Texas to be somebody's stepping stone job.

With the huge overhang of both Texas Football and Austin, It takes a special person to generate both great fan support and succeed as the Head Coach of Texas Basketball.

In an interview with Horns247, Del Conte confirmed that Smart will return to Texas for a fifth season following the 21-16 finish. However, Del Conte also made it clear that the team is not where it needs to be and emphasized that the goal is to win the NCAA Tournament, not the NIT.

“We’re not where we want to be,” Del Conte told Horns247. “But we’re making progress. Our goal is to win the NCAA championship. But we won the NIT championship, and that locker room is cohesive…”

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2019-nit-championship-bracket-scores-texas-claims-title-after-taking-down-lipscomb-in-new-york/

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic