Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

I guess our strategy might be: let it burn itself out- over the next 3 years while vetting the next candidate.

( the prescribed forest fire theory)

Long, long game.

Or.....Maybe there is some FBI activity waiting to be revealed. One can only hope....

Edited by El Squared

25 minutes ago, El Squared said:

I guess our strategy might be: let it burn itself out- over the next 3 years while vetting the next candidate.

( the prescribed forest fire theory)

Long, long game.

Or.....Maybe there is some FBI activity waiting to be revealed. One can only hope....

It does feel like we are just going to throw silly money at another Shaka after this, hoping the next guy with minor mid-major cred is the next great one. 

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Chris Beard looks like a non-psycho version of Bobby Knight.  If he wins a national championship (can't believe I'm even contemplating that as a legit possibility), he probably won't leave for a while.  If not, then we need to make it happen with him, whether it's this year or next.

The team play/ team discipline is incredible .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Chris Beard looks like a non-psycho version of Bobby Knight.  If he wins a national championship (can't believe I'm even contemplating that as a legit possibility), he probably won't leave for a while unless it's the NBA.  If not, then we need to make it happen with him, whether it's this year or next.

He'll probably be Coach K's or Bill Self's replacement. 

12 minutes ago, El Squared said:

The team play/ team discipline is incredible .

yeah but he doesn't draw a + sign on his hand, that everyone can see and talk about, to make sure to stay positive.  my first indication that the guy was a fraud.

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I would think Coach K's replacement will be somebody from his coaching tree.  But who knows.

Could definitely see Beard at Kansas.

His coaching tree kinda sucks. The only guy with any connection to the program who can be argued as an elite coach is Quinn Snyder, but he never served on coach K's staff. Mike Brey is decent, but his connection to coaching K is the only reason he'd be under any consideration. His record certainly doesn't merit it. 

50 minutes ago, Red Five said:

So we have another 16-16 type season, in front of 14 fans next year, and then pony up the $10 million to fire him? 

How much is it worth to not run the brand into the ground for another 12 months? 

Apparently $3 million dollars. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Watching Tech is really impressive.  The help defense is the best in college basketball.  On offense, they actually don't have a lot of shooting or, other than Culver, even guys who can get their own shot.  But they run the Knight motion offense, are really active screening and cutting off the ball, and create opportunities that way.  Plus, their guys know their role and play to their strengths.  They don't waste a lot of possessions doing stupid stuff like bigs taking 3s, or guards forcing a quick shot without making the defense move.  

Beard is legit.  This isn't flash in the pan stuff.  And when you look at his results, he's been impressive everywhere he's been.  

Self isn't that old.  I would think it's going to be some time before Kansas opens up.  Coach K and Roy are old, but North Carolina and Duke seem more like places that would try to hire from "in the family".   Calipari theoretically should be at Kentucky a while, but I guess it's always possible he tries the NBA again and/or gets caught cheating.  UCLA would be the immediate blue blood availability, but if not them, I don't know if holding out for a blue blood job looks that realistic.

IU?  

Why would anyone want to replace Coach K?

I think Tech has a real chance of keeping Beard for a while. He could turn them into a Michigan State type team. There is plenty of talent within a 6-7 hour drive of Lubbock to be elite and he has a winning formula with the graduate transfers.

He isn't going to the NBA and the only possible Blue Blood is UCLA. We aren't going to money whip him and honestly Tech has better facilities, stadium and fan support than us anyway. Our only real advantage is that he graduated from here. But his real education was under Bobby Knight at Tech.

Good for them. Sucks for us.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Surly basketball fans are pussies. Hopefully CDC is not.

Waiting for Skipper to come around and ask your for your bank account number so he can be sure you are the one ponying up the money...According to him only big money donors willing to pay for the buyout can express their opinion that Shaka needs to go.

• Like 1

You know, it is possible for all of the following to be true:

1. Want Shaka to be gone
  2. Want to hire Beard
  3. Believe that there is no way Beard comes here

We really need Shaka to go ahead and win the NIT. First, it makes him a more attractive hire for other schools, which I think is our only real option of getting rid of him this year.

More likely though, he will be back here next year and it could give the program a little much needed lift. 

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Watching Tech is really impressive.  The help defense is the best in college basketball.  On offense, they actually don't have a lot of shooting or, other than Culver, even guys who can get their own shot.  But they run the Knight motion offense, are really active screening and cutting off the ball, and create opportunities that way.  Plus, their guys know their role and play to their strengths.  They don't waste a lot of possessions doing stupid stuff like bigs taking 3s, or guards forcing a quick shot without making the defense move.  

Beard is legit.  This isn't flash in the pan stuff.  And when you look at his results, he's been impressive everywhere he's been.  

Yeah, Tech does it right. They have a real identity and maximize it. Makes me sick watching them and thinking about Texas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rickyspub said:

Waiting for Skipper to come around and ask your for your bank account number so he can be sure you are the one ponying up the money...According to him only big money donors willing to pay for the buyout can express their opinion that Shaka needs to go.

I just laugh about our fans that have such an inferiority complex about our program on a night when Nebraska just spent 35M on Hoiberg. We're building a new arena with the intent to be fucking good. Soooo let's do that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

I just laugh about our fans that have such an inferiority complex about our program on a night when Nebraska just spent 35M on Hoiberg. We're building a new arena with the intent to be fucking good. Soooo let's do that.

It doesn't matter what we should be. We are what we are.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It doesn't matter what we should be. We are what we are.

If I told you 2 weeks ago Nebraska was going to ink Hoiberg for 35M over 7 you'd say something like that to. All we need is some balls and common sense. Hope CDC has them. Surly doesn't.

And if he does, I'll eat crow and laud him for it.

If Shaka returns, I have already resolved not to attend games or watch the team via legitimate means. If Fenves, the BOR, CDC, BMDs, and Surly 1%ers can't summon the means to do what needs to be done, then I'm done supporting this program until a true commitment is made.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maninblack said:

This article says only $25mill for 7yrs for Hoiberg .... not 35. 

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211797823

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I was at a charity event last night. During the auction, their was a football signed by Herman and the team and a basketball signed by Shaka and the team. They were auctioned together for a couple grand. The winner went up and got the football. He looked at the basketball and said “keep it.”

That guy sounds like an asshole.

• Like 4

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

Nah. Sounds like a Texas fan. That stuff needs to happen and it needs to be publicized. 

Yeah, cause fuck the kids who signed up to play for our team and play hard for the Horns! Andrew Jones sign the ball? Fuck that kid!!! Send a message!!!

It's a dumb and low class move, dude.

• Like 2

No idea who all had signed it. They said “Shaka and the team.” He certainly did not disrespect any particular kid. And low class? Is everybody who abstained from bidding also low class? I was bidding for a while because I wanted the football, but the b-ball did not factor into my descision at all. Guess that makes me low class. Either way, the end result was that they got to auction it again which lead to more money for cancer families.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic