Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

14 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I think if Shaka makes the tourney next season (not that much of a stretch), then he's going to be sticking around for a while.  Especially if he hangs a banner. 

Pretty much this. Our best hope at this point is that, however unlikely it may seem (given the last four years), the light comes on for Shaka in the next two or three. Somebody keep an eye on Derka, because Shaka ain't goin' anywhere for quite a while. 

18 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

How many OADs has he even had the opportunity to turn away?

He will have the opportunity to turn a few away after this season probably. 

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Listening to Zion talk about how much confidence Coach K gives his players late in games is a big part of Duke's success.....

Didn't seem to work with RJ against MSU. 

Obv coach K is great - but you can only coach OADs so much. 

So it is okay to summarize the last 94 pages as "we are definitely NOT interested in being a basketball school"?  I'm pretty bummed, because I always thought Texas attempted to be the best in all sports.  I get that we are hamstrung by the contract for this loser, but man, hanging on to him is going to be a real death knell to any enthusiasm for basketball for the next few years.

Just now, jinx said:

So it is okay to summarize the last 94 pages as "we are definitely NOT interested in being a basketball school"?  I'm pretty bummed, because I always thought Texas attempted to be the best in all sports.  I get that we are hamstrung by the contract for this loser, but man, hanging on to him is going to be a real death knell to any enthusiasm for basketball for the next few years.

You're probably gonna get some flack for your first sentence.

But, yeah, pretty much.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

What are people's thoughts on Luke Walton? I think he could be a very successful college coach.

I thought we wanted someone who had an offense we could bare watching. That is definitely not Luke Walton. 

No surprises here, but it still hurts to read.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2019/04/03/worried-texas-tech-could-potentially-lose-mens-basketball-head-coach-chris-beard-kirby-hocutt-isnt-heres-why

Spoiler

MINNEAPOLIS -- Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt fully realized he had a hot coaching property long before the NCAA tournament began. 

Chris Beard's stock has risen higher and higher with each win en route to Tech's first Final Four appearance. 

As Hocutt was checking into the Tech team hotel Wednesday, he outlined exactly how he had been "proactive" regarding Beard. He said that included a $30 million basketball practice facility currently under construction, the overall university investment in the program -- and Beard's current contract situation. Never mind that Beard signed a six-year, $19 million deal after taking Tech to the Elite Eight in 2018. 

"It would be my intention to be able to have that conversation Tuesday or Wednesday," Hocutt said, "and Chris and I have talked about this." 

Hocutt realizes things have changed. A $2.8 million salary this year -- tied for 27th among college basketball coaches, according to the USA Today database -- might have looked very competitive 12 months ago. Now, not so much. 

If that means tearing up or majorly restructuring the old deal, Hocutt said that's a possibility.
In fact, he reached out to Beard nearly six weeks ago. 

"These conversations started at the end of February," Hocutt said. "I would say out of our focus and Coach Beard's focus and commitment to this team and this season, we decided to hit the pause button until the season is over." 

Beard could have other options. The Arkansas job remains open, and LSU and Arizona are in scandal-induced states of flux right now. 

While Shaka Smart's job isn't in jeopardy at Texas, what if he were to take another job? 

For now, Beard seems like a great fit for Tech, a coach who recruits plenty of grinders and gets them to play amazingly effective defense. 

Attendance at United Supermarkets Arena has skyrocketed. Only Kansas and Iowa State averaged more in home attendance among Big 12 schools than Tech's 12,098 this season. Little things, like Beard's video "Fireside Chats," are big hits with the fans. His two youngest daughters still go to school in Abilene, about a 2 1/2 hour drive away. 

Without knowing what could happen in the coaching market, Hocutt says he's optimistic about keeping Beard. 

"I guess I would say I'm extremely confident in our ability to be proactive and to continue to invest into our program and into our coach," Hocutt said. "I'm extremely confident that Texas Tech is a great basketball job. 

"I'm extremely confident that we have the right coach, one of the best coaches in the country leading our program right now."

8 hours ago, Fozzz said:

I think if Shaka makes the tourney next season (not that much of a stretch), then he's going to be sticking around for a while.  Especially if he hangs a banner. 

Do they actually award a banner? I pictured a sheet of notebook paper torn from a binder with “NIT champs” scrawled on it in semi legible sharpie 

6 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Do they actually award a banner? I pictured a sheet of notebook paper torn from a binder with “NIT champs” scrawled on it in semi legible sharpie 

If they hang a banner, hopefully they leave it behind for the demolition of the Erwin Center.

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

If they hang a banner, hopefully they leave it behind for the demolition of the Erwin Center.

I hope we hang it in the real Gregory Gym, just to show that goddamned fraudster of a gymnasium that posts on this site.

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, HookEm said:

What are people's thoughts on Luke Walton? I think he could be a very successful college coach.

Based on what?  His only success came as a stand-in for Kerr when he was out, but even Derka could win 70 with that roster.  And he's done jack shit in LA. 

So nobody but me likes Luke Walton.  Fair enough.

He hasn't been a rock star in the NBA, but I think he is better than his Lakers record.  He took a 17-65 Lakers team to 35-47 with a very young squad and had them actually competing last year.  I don't blame him for the garbage Lakers team this year.  That is a terrible roster and they have traded their best assets for nothing.  It has been managed horrifically.  

Regardless, I'm not saying I want Walton at Texas. I would like to see him at UCLA though (unless they take Shaka).

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Looch is reporting that Jai Lucas is taking a job on Williams's aggy satff. Thank goodness.

About time. Finally getting rid of that coattail-riding nepot fraud.

Maybe Shaka will replace him with an actual coach? Has he run out of yes-men buddies, yet?

3 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Maybe Shaka will replace him with an actual coach? Has he run out of yes-men buddies, yet?

Jai may have been useless but he's been here since the Rick Barnes days.

The bigger issue is what quality assistant is going to want to come here when Shaka is living on borrowed time?

3 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Won't be easy for Shaka to hire an assistant now since Shaka might be gone after next season....

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Looch is reporting that Jai Lucas is taking a job on Williams's aggy satff. Thank goodness.

The pretend we're football podcast summarized this move well. Bigger get for aggie than loss for us. At aggie he can recruit the Lucas way, without our governor.

IMO Buzz is not as good as a motivated Billy Clyde but he is a good coach and kids love him, they also play hard for him. He'll win a lot of games.

Prohm began his coaching career in 1998–99 as a volunteer assistant to Billy Kennedy at Centenary College, where he initially lived in the basement of a dorm and lived off cafeteria meals.[1][3]He followed Kennedy to Southeastern Louisiana University, where he spent five seasons as an assistant before leaving for Tulane University.[2]In 2006, he rejoined Kennedy's coaching staff, this time at Murray State University.[2]Prohm played a key role in Murray State's resurgence under Kennedy, which culminated with a school-record 31 wins in 2009–10 and an upset of Vanderbilt in the 2010 NCAA Tournament—only the second NCAA Tournament win in school history.

Murray State

Prohm was named Murray State's 15th head coach on May 23, 2011, after Kennedy left for Texas A&M. In his first season, he led the Racers to their third straight Ohio Valley Conference regular-season title, a school record-tying 31 wins (including a school-best 23–0 start), a top-10 national ranking and an appearance in the NCAA Tournament.

Iowa State

On June 8, 2015, Iowa State University announced that Prohm would take over as head basketball coach replacing Fred Hoiberg, who left ISU to take the head coaching position with the Chicago Bulls.[4]Prohm brought his lead recruiting assistant, William Small with him to the Cyclones.[5]

In his first season with the Cyclones, he managed to secure a #4 seed in the Midwest region, where they defeated Iona and Little Rock to advance to the Sweet Sixteen, where they fell to top-seeded Virginia, 84–71.

During the first half of the 2016–17 season, the Cyclones struggled to meet preseason expectations, starting off with a record of 13–8. However, on February 4, 2017, they stunned third-ranked Kansas, 92–89, in overtime, snapping the Jayhawks' 54-game home winning streak. This proved to be a catalyst for turning their season around, as the Cyclones won six of their final eight games of the regular season, and went on to win the 2017 Big 12 Men's Basketball Tournament with an 80–74 victory over West Virginia. They received a #5 seed in the Midwest region of the 2017 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament and defeat #12 seed Nevada, 84–73, before falling to #4 seed Purdue in the second round, 80–76.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic