Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

12 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

dope. that's what we were all hoping for when we hired Shaka. we all envisioned that, going into year 5 of the shaka smart era, that our fans would be throwing down the gauntlet, drawing a line in the sand, and saying proudly, "I bet you anything we make the tournament next year." Whooo, come on and party tonight! 

He’s trying so hard to troll. Just put him on ignore like everyone else 

22 hours ago, Fozzz said:

This team makes the tourney next year. Anyone who predicts otherwise doesn’t know a damn thing. 

Should have made it this year.

At this point in Shaka's career as the Texas coach, simply making the tourney next year is the minimum expectation, not some great accomplishment that validates him.

12 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

We have shaka.

Hahahhaha

Yes. Yes, we do.

And it really does feel like the third year of Charlie Strong.

At least as Texans we can take a little pride in Tech playing basketball like it's supposed to be played. Maybe Shaka should watch them. 

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Image result for Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler Phi Slama Jama

Three consecutive Final Fours is pretty damn impressive. It's a shame they couldn't win one national title.

Kind of indirectly related because  UH lost to Georgetown in 85.  I was watching a repeat on the ESPN 30/30 on the rise of the Big East back in the late 70's and 80's.   Watching it brought back a ton of memories about how fricken great college basketball was back during that era.  The 80's was generally a bad ass decade across the sports world at the college and pro levels.   When your own teenagers  make the observation without input from me, then it must be so.

20 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Kind of indirectly related because  UH lost to Georgetown in 85.  I was watching a repeat on the ESPN 30/30 on the rise of the Big East back in the late 70's and 80's.   Watching it brought back a ton of memories about how fricken great college basketball was back during that era.  The 80's was generally a bad ass decade across the sports world at the college and pro levels.   When your own teenagers  make the observation without input from me, then it must be so.

Kids were still staying in school for 4 years for the most part. Teams were able to really gell in a four year period.

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Kids were still staying in school for 4 years for the most part. Teams were able to really gell in a four year period.

Very true.  Without a doubt that is probably the main reason.  I think work ethic was another reason as many of the players back then didn't have basketball high school factories to attract and promote like the kids have today.   

In today's environment,  Patrick Ewing,  Pearl Washington,  Chris Mullin would have been one or two year players and gone to the NBA.   

Watching that 30/30 the other night made me appreciate the coaching in that era and in particular the Big East.   

11 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Very true.  Without a doubt that is probably the main reason.  I think work ethic was another reason as many of the players back then didn't have basketball high school factories to attract and promote like the kids have today.   

In today's environment,  Patrick Ewing,  Pearl Washington,  Chris Mullin would have been one or two year players and gone to the NBA.   

Watching that 30/30 the other night made me appreciate the coaching in that era and in particular the Big East.   

The Big East in that early to mid 80's era was maybe the best ever, for a brief time, and I'm and old school ACC fan (which was no slouch during that period either).  Throw in UH, UNLV, Arkansas and there was just some friggin great college hoops going on.

All three would’ve been one-and-done today.

The thing was you had 3-4 years to really learn the players and let rivalries develop. In the 80’s, college basketball was without a doubt, my favorite sport. I cried myself to sleep the night NC State shocked Phi Slamma Jamma. I became a hard-core Duke fan with the Johnny Dawkins team in 1986. I loved watching the Syracuse-St Johns-Georgetown battles. I remember wondering with everyone else if Ralph Sampson could finally get UVA to fulfill its destiny and do something. I remember DePaul going undefeated into the tourney (I think) one year and then getting bounced early a couple of times. I remember Keith Smart’s shot to beat Syracuse in 87. I was a senior in H.S. when Duke finally clipped UNLV. Watched Laettner’s ridiculous shots to beat Kentucky and UConn, the Kentucky one from my dorm at Jester freshman year in the greatest college basketball game I’ve ever seen. The one-and-dones have all but killed my interest, though.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

The thing was you had 3-4 years to really learn the players and let rivalries develop. In the 80’s, college basketball was without a doubt, my favorite sport. I cried myself to sleep the night NC State shocked Phi Slamma Jamma. I became a hard-core Duke fan with the Johnny Dawkins team in 1986. I loved watching the Syracuse-St Johns-Georgetown battles. I remember wondering with everyone else if Ralph Sampson could finally get UVA to fulfill its destiny and do something. I remember DePaul going undefeated into the tourney (I think) one year and then getting bounced early a couple of times. I remember Keith Smart’s shot to beat Syracuse in 87. I was a senior in H.S. when Duke finally clipped UNLV. Watched Laettner’s ridiculous shots to beat Kentucky and UConn, the Kentucky one from my dorm at Jester freshman year in the greatest college basketball game I’ve ever seen. The one-and-dones have all but killed my interest, though.

Gettin' all dusty up in here.......

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

35 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

22 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The Big East in that early to mid 80's era was maybe the best ever, for a brief time, and I'm and old school ACC fan (which was no slouch during that period either).  Throw in UH, UNLV, Arkansas and there was just some friggin great college hoops going on.

15 minutes ago, C-Man said:

All of this. And young whipper-snappers give us olds hell. They don't know what they missed out on.

Of course we missed out on peach baskets goals though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

All of this. I grew up in Virginia and North Carolina, so was a huge ACC fan. I rooted for Duke because at the time they were the Buffalo Bills of college basketball, routinely making it to the Final Four or the title game only to lose, and everyone else around me seemed to be a UNC fan. I was probably the only one I knew who actually liked Christian Laettner.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

All of this. I grew up in Virginia and North Carolina, so was a huge ACC fan. I rooted for Duke because at the time they were the Buffalo Bills of college basketball, routinely making it to the Final Four or the title game only to lose, and everyone else around me seemed to be a UNC fan. I was probably the only one I knew who actually liked Christian Laettner.

Negged. 

Big East basketball was fun to watch back in the day, a lot of characters on the court/bench.  Damn, just how close was Gtown to winning 3 of 4 titles?  A fucking fluke pass and Nova shooting out of their asses. 

I was a huge Syracuse fan back in that era and was the only one to pick the 87 final in our bracket contest my high school basketball team put together. Almost had the winner but fricken Smart screwed it up. I hated fricken Indiana back then and still do.

And who could forget UNLV. They were the “U” of the basketball world with the chip on their shoulders just like the Canes along with the outlaw image.

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

In the 80s why didn’t the good college players jump to the NBA after a year? Is it because NBA rules didn’t allow it?

Like anything else things like this are cultural.  It takes a few guys to leap first before the damn breaks.  When Chris Weber left after his sophomore year in 93 it was still a rarity for a guy to leave prior to his junior year. Shit even Shaquille O'Neal  stayed 3 years in school. I believe both Jalen Rose and Juwan Howard stayed another year after Weber.  However, when Kevin Garnett of the 95 class made the decision to forgo college and enter the draft the levy broke.  The very next year I believe Stephon Marbury, Shareef Abdur Raheem, and I think Chauncey  Billups all left following their freshmen years, and Iverson left after his sophomore year.  2 more high school guys joined them in the 96 draft as well (Kobe & Jermaine O'Neal) and College basketball hasn't been the same since.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Also the money is ridiculous now compared to then. Kareem was the highest paid player in the league in 89 at around 3m a year.  

yeah, but most of that was royalties from "Airplane!"  

17 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I was a huge Syracuse fan back in that era and was the only one to pick the 87 final in our bracket contest my high school basketball team put together. Almost had the winner but fricken Smart screwed it up. I hated fricken Indiana back then and still do.

And who could forget UNLV. They were the “U” of the basketball world with the chip on their shoulders just like the Canes along with the outlaw image.

I loved Syracuse then too. That was Sherman Douglas's team, right? I was a huge fan of Pearl Washington before that. I had Jeff Sagarin's computer game, "Hoops" which really helped further my enjoyment of college basketball. Anybody else play that game? Think I saw it advertised in The Sporting News and had to have it. Billy Packer did all of the defensive ratings, I believe.

https://www.si.com/vault/1987/03/30/106777569/warning-hoops-may-be-addictive

The starting lineups are set at the Astrodome. The Houston Cougars send out Don Chaney, George Reynolds, Ken Spain, Theodis Lee and the Big E, Elvin Hayes. The UCLA Bruins will defend their No. 1 ranking with Lucius Allen and Mike Warren in the backcourt, Lynn Shackelford and Edgar Lacey as the forwards and, of course, Lew Alcindor in the middle. The Game of the Century is about to begin.

But it isn't Jan. 20, 1968, it's 1987. The arena isn't the Astrodome, it's an IBM Personal Computer. And the players are on hand thanks to Hoops, an ingenious basketball simulation game produced by two MIT-trained mathematicians and an Indiana University computer scientist. The statistics and characteristics of 220 of the top college teams from the past, ranging from the 1950 CCNY squad (the only team to win both the NCAA and NIT titles in the same season) to 43 of the best teams from 1986, have been encoded on a floppy disc. The creators plan to add new teams to the program every year.

Hoops is extremely sophisticated yet marvelously easy to play. As coach you decide which team to play, which players to start, when to substitute and what strategy to use. Each player is rated according to his ability to score, play defense, rebound, stay out of foul trouble, handle the ball and draw fouls. A team can play a man-to-man or zone defense with varying intensities: safe (to stay out of foul trouble), tight, or press (to force more turnovers at the risk of fouling more). In a man-to-man you decide who guards whom. On offense you can choose between normal, semistall, stall or hurry-up. To satisfy Rollie Massimino wannabees yearning to rant on the sidelines, strategies may be changed while the game is in progress, the computer equivalent of yelling instructions from the bench. You can replay past NCAA championships and second-guess at will. In the 1977 final would you, like Dean Smith, put your North Carolina Tar Heels into a semistall (Four Corners) in the stretch against Marquette? Would you give Houston forward Larry Micheaux more second-half playing time against N.C. State in the '83 final? Hoops is an armchair coach's paradise.

The game is the brainchild of Jeff Sagarin, 38, and Wayne Winston, 37, two basketball fanatics who also happen to be graduates of MIT. Although Winston had played sports simulation games—involving printed player cards, dice and charts—he never found a basketball game that satisfied him. So, while he was working on a Ph.D. in operations research at Yale, he invented a tabletop dice game. "It was statistically accurate but incredibly boring," Winston remembers. "It took about two and a half hours to play." He shelved the idea until his friend Sagarin, who rates college football and basketball teams by computer for several newspapers, including USA Today, bought a PC in 1985. "Wayne, remember your boring basketball game?" Sagarin asked Winston. "I bet it would be great on a computer." They decided to give it a try.

X
image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fvault-cdn.si.com
  •  
  •  

Winston, now a business school professor at Indiana, supplied the mathematical model, while Sagarin figured out how to adjust raw statistics and strength of schedule so that a team with gaudy stats accumulated against weak opposition—like the '77 UNLV team that averaged 107 points per game—wouldn't be inordinately strong. They enlisted Jim Klopfenstein, then a grad student at Indiana, to translate the formulas into software. Television analyst Billy Packer agreed to supply defensive ratings, augmenting his own expertise with opinions from coaches, players and other experts past and present. The computer did the rest.

What makes an accurate card-and-dice basketball game so dull is the number of times one must roll the dice to make something happen. The Hoops program has the PC generate random numbers—the silicon equivalent of rolling the dice—five times for every :01 of game action. "How would you like to play a board game if you had to roll the dice five times a second?" asks Sagarin. "You'd be in the nuthouse."

You may get there yet, but your affliction will be a Hoops addiction. Klopfenstein's inviting screen display makes the game easy to follow and play. Lines of text describe a running play-by-play, while statistics register on a scoreboard and a self-updating box score. Electronic crib notes remind you what keys to hit to make strategy changes or to call up a box score. Genuine basketball fans will be quickly smitten. Basketball fans used to playing sports strategy games may never be seen again. Hoops is that good.

In that '68 Game of the Century, Elvin Hayes scored 39 points and grabbed 15 rebounds, and Houston had 20 turnovers and UCLA had 16 as the Cougars broke the Bruins' 47-game winning streak with a 71-69 upset. In a recent Hoops replay, Elvin Hayes scored 39 points and grabbed 15 rebounds, and Houston had 20 turnovers and UCLA had 16. Honest to goodness. There are witnesses. Only this time the '68 Bruins, the highest-rated of the 220 teams in the game, won 118-100.

There are only two real flaws in the game, one strategic and the other aesthetic. Players don't get tired, so their effectiveness never diminishes. The creators assure us that this problem is already being rectified, and the revised game will be available soon. (Those who already own Hoops will be offered an upgraded version at a discount.) The other problem is that the play-by-play is not entirely tailored to individuals. When a good rebounder shoots, the program assumes he plays inside and is therefore more likely to have taken an inside shot. The type of an inside shot is randomly chosen. Thus, in a game featuring the '65 Princeton team, for which Bill Bradley averaged 11.8 rebounds per game, you're likely to see BRADLEY DRIVES AND STUFFS. Don't worry, your computer isn't going haywire. Just smile and pretend the shot is a layup.

Yet, considering how ingenious and generally realistic the game is, even the purist roundball maven can forgive the idea of Bradley jamming. True college basketball fans will find Hoops as hard to resist as an open 15-foot jumper.

Hoops sells for $49.95 and may be obtained by writing to Hoops, P.O. Box 310, Bloomington, Ind. 47402, or by calling (812) 336-4886 or (812) 332-0699. It works only on the IBM PC or a compatible machine.

58 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I loved Syracuse then too. That was Sherman Douglas's team, right? I was a huge fan of Pearl Washington before that. I had Jeff Sagarin's computer game, "Hoops" which really helped further my enjoyment of college basketball. Anybody else play that game? Think I saw it advertised in The Sporting News and had to have it. Billy Packer did all of the defensive ratings, I believe.

Yes.   Derrick Coleman and Roni Seikly were on that team too.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986–87_Syracuse_Orangemen_basketball_team

15 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Also the money is ridiculous now compared to then. Kareem was the highest paid player in the league in 89 at around 3m a year.  

Didn't Magic sign a 25 year, $25 million contract at one point? 

18 hours ago, XYZ said:

In the 80s why didn’t the good college players jump to the NBA after a year? Is it because NBA rules didn’t allow it?

I don't think the NBA had a rule against younger players joining the league back then, but I might be wrong?   Like someone posted on a response, it was just one of those things where most players did four years and then went pro and with some exception some did only three.

I kind of wish the NBA would just go back to letting the 18 year olds go straight to the NBA or their D-leagues and be done with it.   I'm sick and tired of Einsteins like Shaka Smart trying to build a program on these one or two year players.  It works for the most part in the MLB and NHL and college programs in those particular sports are better off for it,  so why not let the NBA go back?

9 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I don't think the NBA had a rule against younger players joining the league back then, but I might be wrong?   Like someone posted on a response, it was just one of those things where most players did four years and then went pro and with some exception some did only three.

I kind of wish the NBA would just go back to letting the 18 year olds go straight to the NBA or their D-leagues and be done with it.   I'm sick and tired of Einsteins like Shaka Smart trying to build a program on these one or two year players.  It works for the most part in the MLB and NHL and college programs in those particular sports are better off for it,  so why not let the NBA go back?

How exactly is recruiting 2 one and dones out of 4 classes "building your program on 1 and dones"? Jaxon Hayes was a 100+ rated recruit who just happened to play his way into being a potential one & done.  I have a lot of issues with Shaka's inability to manage his roster, but recruiting Jarrett Allen and Mo Bamba isn't one of them. 

Bump. I remember thinking how utterly absurd this take was before the Tournament considering how many times Bennett had his team ranked #1 overall in the past two years and how many times UT had ever been ranked #1 overall, but man, this take just got so much better. 

On 3/15/2019 at 9:52 PM, HtownHorn said:

fuck, aggy fired their coach and he went to the Sweet 16 last year, and no to Bennett. His teams are great in the regular season, but consistently fail in the lose and your out format, because they can't score as today showed. He's average 28.7 wins in the last 6 years, but has 0 FF's and 1 EE. In his entire career, he's never once won in the tournament as the lower seed, but has been upset 5 times, the last 2 times as #1 seeds to double digit opponents.

Edited by Burt Macklin

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Bump. I remember thinking how utterly absurd this take was before the Tournament considering how many times Bennett had his team ranked #1 overall in the past two years and how many times UT had ever been ranked #1 overall, but man, this take just got so much better. 

Lulz, you had to bump this in two separate threads. I live in your fucking head.

Bennett is the perfect example of why tournament results, without context, shouldn't drive coaching decisions. Virginia has finished in the Kenpom top 10 five out of the last six years and the other year they finished 12th. 

If you consistently produce really good teams you will eventually breakthrough in the tournament. 

Edited by texasstrong12

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic