My LSU @ Texas Analysis: The Overview

sushihorn

17 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Even agi will laugh at you.

This leads to an outcome as good, if not better: EdO and his boys will be so pissed at losing their last two games in Texas, that they will absolutely stomp the fuck out of agi, back in the happy confines of Tigah Stadium.

On 7/22/2019 at 9:01 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

i can absolutely assure you we’ll be ready and not be taking this game lightly. we’ll show up and play like our ass is on fire.

you’ll get our best, rest assured.

Please tell this to aggy before and after we win this game.

2 hours ago, sushihorn said:

What causes Orlando trouble are spread passing teams with really good QBs.

True, but you can literally say this about every DC alive. Even those in the NFL.

How else do you explain Kingsbury being hired as Arizona's new HC? 

5 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Way too much confidence and orange koolaid In this game.  The game comes down to defense and LSUs is better than ours. Point blank. Our guys are studs but they are all green and new and we always look like straight dogshit the first few games of the year until we figure out how to unfuck ourselves.  As the season wore on last year we were tops in the country but we started off struggling with Tulsa.  If the lsU game is 6-7 games in I’d feel better. But second game of the year with a bunch of brand new defenders and our inability to close out anything leaves me less confident than you guys. Unless we put 100 on la tech 

Our defense is not playing their defense and their defense may be better but our offense is a lot better than theirs. LSU has never field a dangerous offense and they won't running a new scheme in the second game of the season. If we don't make mistakes and turn the ball over, I like our chances. Fuck it, I'm drinking the orange koolaid and I'm confident.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kelevra said:

Texas dominated UGA and only beat them by 7 pts, while LSU dominated UGA and beat them by 20 pts. Why is that?

Wanna know how I know you’re fucking regarded? Watch the game before you speak next time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2019 at 9:36 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

we’re not Georgia, and of all the schools in our conference we’re the least of the “SEC” homers. we don’t give a single half-fuck about anyone in the SEC but us. let them all lose...we’ll laugh our asses off.

and we take all out of conference P5 opponents we can, and our history proves that.

tee it up...it’s time to party.

I have to give LSU fans this. Of the ones I know, I rarely hear that SECSECSEC bullshit from them. It's also true that LSU has been playing OOC games against P5 teams away from home for a while, and for a long time they were the only SEC team doing so. Money has lured some of them into scheduling marquee home and homes, but LSU has never been scared to play anyone. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, sushihorn said:

I understand where you are coming from.  Let me offer a counterpoint.  Texas had a ton of question marks on defense going into the 2018 season.  Yet in the 3rd game of that season the Horns held one of the most talented teams in the country - USC to NEGATIVE rushing yardage.  The Trojans were a better team on paper than LSU.  They also run a similarly obsolescent offensive scheme. Todd Orlando feasts on those kinds of offenses, see also Iowa State, TCU, Georgia, Mizzou.  What causes Orlando trouble are spread passing teams with really good QBs.

Yes, LSU has a better defensive system than USC.  That's really the one thing that impresses me and is a genuine cause for concern.  Are they so good they can hold the Texas offense under 20 points?  It seems unlikely as only KSU managed that last year and the Longhorns' average was over 31 PPG. 

I'm sorry but this USC example is awful. Specifically the part about saying they were a better team on paper than LSU. USC sucked last year. It's like comparing our 2016 team to a NY6 bowl winner that year. Talent "on paper" doesn't matter. As Texas fans we should know that better than anybody. Discussion of the upcoming season should be based around the skill levels of the players in 2019, not how they were rated as freshmen. And it's pretty obvious that LSU in 2019 will be significantly better than USC in 2018. Comparing them in that way is pretty disingenuous and I think you know that. 

I think using USC as a data point of how our defense performs against pro-style offenses is fine, and the rushing yardage is an interesting point. My opinion is that our defense can play the run well, but they don't always do so. USC, UGA, OU2 were elite run defense performances, but the defense didn't perform like that consistently. Maybe they will against LSU, but I don't think that's a given. Coburn could really raise the ceiling of our defense, but replacing Omenihu is going to be tough and Mac is a total question mark. Wheeler was bad but at least we knew he could be ok against USC, UGA, LSU, etc. We can't say that about Adeoye or whoever else wins the spot yet.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'm sorry but this USC example is awful. Specifically the part about saying they were a better team on paper than LSU. USC sucked last year. It's like comparing our 2016 team to a NY6 bowl winner that year. Talent "on paper" doesn't matter. As Texas fans we should know that better than anybody. Discussion of the upcoming season should be based around the skill levels of the players in 2019, not how they were rated as freshmen. And it's pretty obvious that LSU in 2019 will be significantly better than USC in 2018. Comparing them in that way is pretty disingenuous and I think you know that. 

I think using USC as a data point of how our defense performs against pro-style offenses is fine, and the rushing yardage is an interesting point. My opinion is that our defense can play the run well, but they don't always do so. USC, UGA, OU2 were elite run defense performances, but the defense didn't perform like that consistently. Maybe they will against LSU, but I don't think that's a given. Coburn could really raise the ceiling of our defense, but replacing Omenihu is going to be tough and Mac is a total question mark. Wheeler was bad but at least we knew he could be ok against USC, UGA, LSU, etc. We can't say that about Adeoye or whoever else wins the spot yet.

Since I mentioned LSU's defense as a specific concern, I don't think that take was disingenuous at all.  I intended to focus on their offenses since the context was how the Texas defense would fare.  Both USC and LSU fielded tremendous talent on paper.  They both run pretty outdated offenses.  LSU has a more mobile QB who is a below average passer.  USC has a non-mobile QB who is a damn good passer but makes mistakes due to youth.

But the most important similarity is that neither one can really spread a defense out.  They can't stop Orlando from presenting 5/6 in the box then scheming an extra defender in there.  I'll cover it more in the LSU offense write up but they were not a good rushing team.  USC ran the ball better, quite a bit better if they hadn't had to face Texas (4.3 YPC vs 4.0 YPC for LSU).

In terms of run stopping, Texas is better off in 2019 than in 2018.  Last season they had to replace Nashon Hughes, Malik Jefferson and most importantly Poona Ford up front.  The Horns lost the anchor of their run defense and still showed the ability to shut down old style running games.  That tells me that scheme is critical and many of the new starters on the DL showed up big time in the Sugar Bowl.  I'd call Mac a concern because there's no proven player there.  I'm pretty comfortable otherwise against obsolescent run-heavy offenses.

Edited by sushihorn

4 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Since I mentioned LSU's defense as a specific concern, I don't think that take was disingenuous at all.  I intended to focus on their offenses since the context was how the Texas defense would fare.  Both USC and LSU fielded tremendous talent on paper.  They both run pretty outdated offenses.  LSU has a more mobile QB who is a below average passer.  USC has a non-mobile QB who is a damn good passer but makes mistakes due to youth.

But the most important similarity is that neither one can really spread a defense out.  They can't stop Orlando from presenting 5/6 in the box then scheming an extra defender in there.  I'll cover it more in the LSU offense write up but they were not a good rushing team.  USC ran the ball better, quite a bit better if they hadn't had to face Texas (4.3 YPC vs 4.0 YPC for LSU).

In terms of run stopping, Texas is better off in 2019 than in 2018.  Last season they had to replace Nashon Hughes, Malik Jefferson and most importantly Poona Ford up front.  The Horns lost the anchor of their run defense and still showed the ability to shut down old style running games.  That tells me that scheme is critical and many of the new starters on the DL showed up big time in the Sugar Bowl.  I'd call Mac a concern because there's no proven player there.  I'm pretty comfortable otherwise against obsolescent run-heavy offenses.

“The Trojans were a better team in paper than LSU” is the part that I disagree with pretty staunchly. As for rushing offenses, they’re pretty similar so an argument could be made there. I looked up their rankings and LSU was a lot worse than I thought. LSU ranked 81st last year in rushing S&P+. USC was 78. We were 98 though so that’s depressing. I know LSU signed two really good backs last year that are supposed to be instant upgrades at the position. 

Just now, Bodacious Bevo said:

“The Trojans were a better team in paper than LSU” is the part that I disagree with pretty staunchly. As for rushing offenses, they’re pretty similar so an argument could be made there. I looked up their rankings and LSU was a lot worse than I thought. LSU ranked 81st last year in rushing S&P+. USC was 78. We were 98 though so that’s depressing. I know LSU signed two really good backs last year that are supposed to be instant upgrades at the position. 

Earlier in the thread, I alluded to the recruiting rankings of the 2 teams and USC was clearly bringing in more talent.  That is where the "better team on paper" comes from.  It's a reasonable definition though you may choose to use a different measurement.

Your surprise at LSU's poor running game is a very normal reaction.  This is where the SECx3 propaganda really skews perceptions of even serious CFB fans unless they dig into the data.  They might improve this year but I wouldn't want to count on a true freshman to eclipse Brossette's production by game 2.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kelevra said:

spacer.png

Clearly you didn't bother to check before you posted that.  No one is making that argument.  I guess it's a lot easier to beat up a straw man than deal with reality.

Texas was up 19-0 at the half and chose to play ball control.  That is why KSU got a whole 4 possessions in the 2nd half.  It's the way Tom Herman plays ball with a big lead.  He did the same thing against ISU, KU and Baylor.  As fans we don't like it; we want to see blowouts.  But if the priority is to just win the game it makes sense to minimize the chance of a turnover that would let them back into it.

Herman did the same thing against USC up 37-14 in the 3rd Q, against OU up 45-24 in the 3rd and pretty much the entire 2nd half against UGa in the Sugar Bowl.  It's not just a tendency; it's his philosophy.  In every case there were a lot more points available to the Texas offense.  Herman chose to forego them to kill clock.

I get that snarky but completely wrong takes are to be expected from fans of other programs that don't follow Texas.  Just don't expect for that crap to fly if you post it here.

• Like 5

If when Texas was up 45-24 against OU they had kept attacking OU’s secondary, they would have won by more than three TDs. OU was completely demoralized by that point. Only Texas shitting the bed over and over with the run-run-pass-punt offense gave them hope.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, XYZ said:

If when Texas was up 45-24 against OU they had kept attacking OU’s secondary, they would have won by more than three TDs. OU was completely demoralized by that point. Only Texas shitting the bed over and over with the run-run-pass-punt offense gave them hope.

which brings a valid point fo growth that Herman himself requires, killer instinct when he has an edge

He needs to trust his players and coaches more, not turtle, and step on the other team's throats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Earlier in the thread, I alluded to the recruiting rankings of the 2 teams and USC was clearly bringing in more talent.  That is where the "better team on paper" comes from.  It's a reasonable definition though you may choose to use a different measurement.

Your surprise at LSU's poor running game is a very normal reaction.  This is where the SECx3 propaganda really skews perceptions of even serious CFB fans unless they dig into the data.  They might improve this year but I wouldn't want to count on a true freshman to eclipse Brossette's production by game 2.

I knew their run game was bad, I just didn’t realize it was that bad. Also it’s kinda sad that ours improved so much last year and still ranked behind theirs. Part of that was the use of the QB run in short downs and our general ball control style, but still. 

As for rankings, in my mind JT Daniels wasn’t a good QB on paper. Even though he was highly ranked, a reclassified true freshman screams team weakness. That’s where I’m coming from. 

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Clearly you didn't bother to check before you posted that.  No one is making that argument.  I guess it's a lot easier to beat up a straw man than deal with reality.

Texas was up 19-0 at the half and chose to play ball control.  That is why KSU got a whole 4 possessions in the 2nd half.  It's the way Tom Herman plays ball with a big lead.  He did the same thing against ISU, KU and Baylor.  As fans we don't like it; we want to see blowouts.  But if the priority is to just win the game it makes sense to minimize the chance of a turnover that would let them back into it.

Herman did the same thing against USC up 37-14 in the 3rd Q, against OU up 45-24 in the 3rd and pretty much the entire 2nd half against UGa in the Sugar Bowl.  It's not just a tendency; it's his philosophy.  In every case there were a lot more points available to the Texas offense.  Herman chose to forego them to kill clock.

I get that snarky but completely wrong takes are to be expected from fans of other programs that don't follow Texas.  Just don't expect for that crap to fly if you post it here.

The REALITY is that KSU shut down Texas' running game making them a one dimensional team. Resulting in a dink and dunk 2nd half offense for ball and clock control. It was a 1 possession game with 10 min. left in the 4th. This wasn't by design; Texas just had a bad game.  The fact is, Texas usually forgets to bring their  lunch pal against lesser competition (Maryland, Tulsa, Baylor, KSU). This shouldn't be a problem against LSU.

I'm interested in seeing how your RBs (specifically Ingram) have progressed this offseason. Texas struggled mightily in the run game last year. 

• Fuck You 3

33 minutes ago, Kelevra said:

The REALITY is that KSU shut down Texas' running game making them a one dimensional team. Resulting in a dink and dunk 2nd half offense for ball and clock control. It was a 1 possession game with 10 min. left in the 4th. This wasn't by design; Texas just had a bad game.  The fact is, Texas usually forgets to bring their  lunch pal against lesser competition (Maryland, Tulsa, Baylor, KSU). This shouldn't be a problem against LSU.

I'm interested in seeing how your RBs (specifically Ingram) have progressed this offseason. Texas struggled mightily in the run game last year. 

We sort of figured it out by UGA. Tre Watson started getting some really nice consistent 4-6 yard gains, even if he never really broke out a long one except for the 30 yarder.

1 hour ago, pacman said:

which brings a valid point fo growth that Herman himself requires, killer instinct when he has an edge

He needs to trust his players and coaches more, not turtle, and step on the other team's throats.

I don’t think it was a lack of trust leading to turtling. I don’t think Tom fully understood, or maybe still doesn’t understand, that the traditional rules of playing with a lead in this conference were skewed by the fact that the league was chock full of hyper offenses that didn’t give a shit about TOP, and who were looking to score at every opportunity. He made some mention of it in the press conference so perhaps it’s starting to take hold. 

He’s going to be aided this year by the fact that KK is out at Tech, Holgerson is gone at WVU, Klieman still runs a Jurassic offense and ISU and TCU don’t run the hyper spread. That leaves OSU and OU who doesn’t have a very hyper spread friendly QB in Hurts. So his original philosophy ought to age better this season. 

Herman isn’t alone in having to adjust to Big XII offensive football by a long shot. But he does need to continue to grow his philosophies in light of the unique challenges this conference has at times presented nearly every Saturday. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

2 hours ago, pacman said:

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I don’t think it was a lack of trust leading to turtling. I don’t think Tom fully understood, or maybe still doesn’t understand, that the traditional rules of playing with a lead in this conference were skewed by the fact that the league was chock full of hyper offenses that didn’t give a shit about TOP, and who were looking to score at every opportunity. He made some mention of it in the press conference so perhaps it’s starting to take hold. 

He’s going to be aided this year by the fact that KK is out at Tech, Holgerson is gone at WVU, Klieman still runs a Jurassic offense and ISU and TCU don’t run the hyper spread. That leaves OSU and OU who doesn’t have a very hyper spread friendly QB in Hurts. So his original philosophy ought to age better this season. 

Herman isn’t alone in having to adjust to Big XII offensive football by a long shot. But he does need to continue to grow his philosophies in light of the unique challenges this conference has at times presented nearly every Saturday. 

I don't think it's a congenital issue.  IMHO Herman's philosophy in 2018 was strongly shaped by the 2017 season.  Keep in mind that Sam's late turnovers cost Texas the USC, OSU and TT games in 2017.  THAT is the context in which Herman kept his QBs on a tight leash when he got a big lead in 2018.

Looking at his pre-UT history, Tom Herman wasn't afraid to let it rip either as tOSU's OC or the HC at UH.  I suspect he was just so traumatized by the mess that Charlie left that he overreacted in 2018.  To me it looks like another example of perception lagging behind reality since Sam had one of the best streaks of ball security I've ever seen last season.  Hopefully we will see pre-2017 Tom Herman again next year with the data from this year and the waves of talent coming into the program.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kelevra said:

All passes being thrown within 10 yds of the LOS puts a defense in a much better position to stop the run.  And it loses a major advantage in that Sam Ehlinger is one of the most accurate intermediate passers in CFB.

3 hours ago, XYZ said:

The OL shit the bed in the 4Q, multiple holding calls on the first 2 drives took Texas out of positive down and distance calls. Then there was a stupid ass 3rd down call that ended in Ehlinger grounding the ball at Ingram's feet. Texas was moving the ball until they shit all over themselves. Had Texas picked up 1-2 more 1st downs on those drives, it's likely OU never has enough time to tie the score, as well as, Texas likely scoring points themselves.

33 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

I don't think it's a congenital issue.  IMHO Herman's philosophy in 2018 was strongly shaped by the 2017 season.  Keep in mind that Sam's late turnovers cost Texas the USC, OSU and TT games in 2017.  THAT is the context in which Herman kept his QBs on a tight leash when he got a big lead in 2018.

Looking at his pre-UT history, Tom Herman wasn't afraid to let it rip either as tOSU's OC or the HC at UH.  I suspect he was just so traumatized by the mess that Charlie left that he overreacted in 2018.  To me it looks like another example of perception lagging behind reality since Sam had one of the best streaks of ball security I've ever seen last season.  Hopefully we will see pre-2017 Tom Herman again next year with the data from this year and the waves of talent coming into the program.

It also spoke to his offensive personnel. Watson, Humphrey, and Johnson were not score from anywhere on the field type players. They were efficient move the chain type players. Ingram was hurt most of the season, as it appeared some of his explosiveness was missing. I think this year will be different as you are replacing Humphrey with Smith and Moore. You are also replacing Watson with a healthy Ingram and an injured Ingram with Whittington. I don't think the offense posts a donut for 50 yard plays this season.

10 hours ago, sushihorn said:

I’m about tired of coaches with extended cases of PTSD. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

It also spoke to his offensive personnel. Watson, Humphrey, and Johnson were not score from anywhere on the field type players. They were efficient move the chain type players. Ingram was hurt most of the season, as it appeared some of his explosiveness was missing. I think this year will be different as you are replacing Humphrey with Smith and Moore. You are also replacing Watson with a healthy Ingram and an injured Ingram with Whittington. I don't think the offense posts a donut for 50 yard plays this season.

I’m hoping this offense ends that streak in game one. 

11 hours ago, sushihorn said:

All passes being thrown within 10 yds of the LOS puts a defense in a much better position to stop the run.  And it loses a major advantage in that Sam Ehlinger is one of the most accurate intermediate passers in CFB.

Do you have stats here, or is this just you eyeballing? I’d never really considered this metric before, but my knee jerk reaction would have been that ehlinger wasn’t special in this category. I would love to know more. 

14 hours ago, Kelevra said:

The REALITY is that KSU shut down Texas' running game making them a one dimensional team. 

You’re wrong. We chose to play Garbageball with Kansas State and the final score was the outcome. Herman doesn’t care about the numbers, he cares about the W. Sushihorn is right. 

Move along now, Junior. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Do you have stats here, or is this just you eyeballing? I’d never really considered this metric before, but my knee jerk reaction would have been that ehlinger wasn’t special in this category. I would love to know more. 

I can't give you cumulative stats but in the Sugar Bowl, Texas converted a bunch of 3rd and 6+ situations.  That was true in many games.  If you think about it, that almost has to be true.  The conventional rushing attack was only marginal for most of the season.  That lead to a lot of 3rd and longs.  Yet the Horns managed a very nice 46.4% 3rd down conversion rate.  So inference + eyeball.

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

You’re wrong. We chose to play Garbageball with Kansas State and the final score was the outcome. Herman doesn’t care about the numbers, he cares about the W. Sushihorn is right. 

Move along now, Junior. 

Nobody chooses to play "Garbageball", Texas just played like 'Garbage' in the 2nd half.

Give KSU credit they held Texas to zero points in the 2nd half, while allowing a total of 60 rushing yards with Ehlinger accounting for 24 of those yards. 

Edited by Kelevra
Edit
  • Fuck You 8

23 minutes ago, Kelevra said:

Nobody chooses to play "Garbageball", Texas just played like 'Garbage' in the 2nd half.

Give KSU credit they held you to zero points in the 2nd half, while allowing a total of 60 rushing yards with Ehlinger accounting for 24 of those yards. 

What exactly do you call it when only ONE pass is thrown more than 12 yds past the LOS the entire 2nd half.  That was a 15 yarder to LJH that he turned upfield for a little extra.  There were 2 incompletions on 3rd and long that went 8-10 yds downfield.  Everything else was within FIVE yds of the LOS. 

2nd half passes were for 1, 5, 5, 5, 12 (screen), 9, 20 (LJH), 6, 7, 5, 5, and 12 yards.  Passing became predictable w/in 5 yds of the LOS other than on 3rd and long.  That allowed the entire defense to creep forward - making it easier to shut down the run. It was way too conservative and looked like something LSU would run - not Texas.  The result was equally predictable but Herman avoided the turnover and preserved the win.  Don't worry.  You won't see anything that looks like that unless Texas gets a 3 TD lead.

Edited by sushihorn

On 7/25/2019 at 12:45 PM, Tex Long said:
On 7/25/2019 at 12:45 PM, Tex Long said:

As much as anything mentioned about this game, talent and scheme and all, the most salient fact for me is LSU's pathetic 2018 record on the road, The fuckers played eight games at home and only four on the road. Of those four, they had two wins - squeaking by Arkysaw and Aubrun and losing o Florida and aTm(!). It's pretty clear Corch O had a problem last season leaving home, and I'm pretty fucking certain that problem will continue.

No offense to y'all Tigah fans, but y'all either dreaming or high af if you're seriously expecting to leave Austin with a W.

Even agi will laugh at you.

You forgot Miami but I like the confidence. 

• Fuck You 3

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

A 2-2 road record with a bullshit loss and to the #7 team is evidence of a poor road team?

I think we win this game and perhaps rather handily but let’s not make dumbass comments. 

LSU is not the same team on the road that they are at home.  That much is certainly true.  But "pathetic" is WAAAYYY overstating the case.

40 minutes ago, Kelevra said:

Nobody chooses to play "Garbageball", Texas just played like 'Garbage' 

You’re wrong, dumbfuck. It’s ok if you don’t actually watch the games, just don’t speak out of your asshole. We’ll call you on it. 

Edited by Tex Pete

5 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

What exactly do you call it when only ONE pass is thrown more than 12 yds past the LOS the entire 2nd half.  That was a 15 yarder to LJH that he turned upfield for a little extra.  There were 2 incompletions on 3rd and long that went 8-10 yds downfield.  Everything else was within FIVE yds of the LOS. 

2nd half passes were for 1, 5, 5, 5, 12 (screen), 9, 20 (LJH), 6, 7, 5, 5, and 12 yards.  Passing became predictable w/in 5 yds of the LOS other than on 3rd and long.  That allowed the entire defense to creep forward - making it easier to shut down the run. It was way too conservative and looked like something LSU would run - not Texas.  The result was equally predictable but Herman avoided the turnover and preserved the win.  Don't worry.  You won't see anything that looks like that unless Texas gets a 3 TD lead.

Like I said before is was a dink and dunk 2nd half offense because Texas couldn't run the ball effectively. If Texas isn't able to run the ball effectively against LSU, they will play right into the strength of the defense. LSU will be in man-to-man defense. 

Another thing is Texas' 2 best receivers (CJ & LJH) are big-bodied possession receivers harder for them to create down field separation. 

• Fuck You 5

If you actually watched our games, you’d have seen that Herman likes to take the air out of the ball when he feels comfortable that we are going to win, as sushi alluded to. I don’t like it, and I hope it changes, but he did it. Move along now. 

Edited by Tex Pete

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

You’re wrong, dumbfuck. It’s ok if you don’t actually watch the games, just don’t speak out of your asshole. We’ll call you on it. 

Yes, I'm wrong. You're the "Garbageball" authority. What was I thinking? 

• Fuck You 4

9 minutes ago, Kelevra said:

Like I said before is was a dink and dunk 2nd half offense because Texas couldn't run the ball effectively. If Texas isn't able to run the ball effectively against LSU, they will play right into the strength of the defense. LSU will be in man-to-man defense. 

Another thing is Texas' 2 best receivers (CJ & LJH) are big-bodied possession receivers harder for them to create down field separation. 

You've got that completely bass ackwards.  LIMITING the offense to dink and dunk ALLOWED KSU to play frequently play 9-10 defenders w/in 8 yds of the line.  Sam threw more intermediate passes during the last drive of the 1st Q than during the entire 2nd half.  There was a clear change to much more conservative passing and that allowed KSU to get the extra bodies forward to stop the running game.

Compare the KSU defensive alignments in the 2nd half v the 1st.  If you watch and analyze it honestly the difference will be clear.

Edited by sushihorn
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

You've got that completely bass ackwards.  LIMITING the offense to dink and dunk ALLOWED KSU to play frequently play 9-10 defenders w/in 8 yds of the line.  Sam threw more intermediate passes during the last drive of the 1st Q than during the entire 2nd half.  There was a clear change to much more conservative passing and that allowed KSU to get the extra bodies forward to stop the running game.

TEXAS SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN LIMITED BY KSU.

Look, all I'm saying is most good teams try to protect a second half lead by RUNNING the ball. It kills the clock while keeping the defense fresh. 

All I'm saying is that Texas was unable to do that against KSU. Again, it was a 19 - 14 game with 10 min. in the 4th quarter.  

Edited by Kelevra
edit
  • Fuck You 5

4 minutes ago, Kelevra said:

TEXAS SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN LIMITED BY KSU.

Look, all I'm saying is most good teams try to protect a second half lead by RUNNING the ball. It kills the clock while keeping the defense fresh. 

All I'm saying is that Texas was unable to do that against KSU. Again, it was a 19 - 14 game with 10 min. in the 4th quarter.  

You aren’t paying attention. Or you’re too dense to understand what we’re telling you. 

• Like 1