Jump to content
Noogman

2019/2020 Hunting Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Silver Lab

How old?  What's your experience been?  I had a chocolate right out of college that lived to 14.  Took a few years off from having a dog and thought about getting a silver.  The breeder where I got my chocolate lab talked me out of it.  I ended up going with a yellow lab, and he's been great.  But, damn, those silver labs are good looking dogs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

How old?  What's your experience been?  I had a chocolate right out of college that lived to 14.  Took a few years off from having a dog and thought about getting a silver.  The breeder where I got my chocolate lab talked me out of it.  I ended up going with a yellow lab, and he's been great.  But, damn, those silver labs are good looking dogs.

Silver is just a diluted Chocolate ( Dilute Black is the charcoal. Dilute yellow is the champagne.).  Like any lab, it's all about the parents.  Buddy has a great silver.  Little fat, but otherwise a fantastic dog.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

How old?  What's your experience been?  I had a chocolate right out of college that lived to 14.  Took a few years off from having a dog and thought about getting a silver.  The breeder where I got my chocolate lab talked me out of it.  I ended up going with a yellow lab, and he's been great.  But, damn, those silver labs are good looking dogs.

Well, I’m not certain the color has anything to do with it, but she’s been the best dog I’ve ever owned. Shes also the only one that’s ever had formal training, and the only dog I’ve ever had inside the house (which provides so much more interaction).  She’s heading off for some more training next month, for several months, geared towards field trails and hunting refresher. But aside from that, she is the best one I’ve owned as just a house dog. Wife picked her out of the litter, she was the laziest one and I didn’t like that, but she has been absolutely perfect with the children. We had a 1 yo, 3yo, and 5 yo when we got her.  The 1yo did everything she could to annoy her and has never gotten anything more than kisses for it. She took to training like one with the best lines you could buy, and she has some lineage but she’s not a 5k pup by any means. A bit too lovey dovey for me, but she gets going when it’s time to work. She’ll put her paw next to your boot at all times, just has to touch you.  I do wish she was more aggressive as a guard type, I’ve only heard her get irritated with someone at the door a few times. She is seriously a teddy bear, and that’s all the wife wanted so she gets spoiled there.  Perfect sized for what we wanted in the house (54#). One of those deals where everything just lined up.   Curious why your breeder talked you out of it. I know there is some back and forth over it in the lab community. My vet owns silver and a charcoal so I figured good enough for him, good enough for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know there’s a thread for it, but she’s hunting related.

Pretty pup.
62cbff4f57a72541a0717ab74bf3d4e8.jpg

Probably why she isn’t gun-shy. Ready to watch some football with daddy and I *think* a Todd Orlando special.

dc95cce49c9e0d2092cdfc953e3171a4.jpg

Watching the babies while we sleep.

95ee1e065c7fa947ee2a663e2b27b3ac.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I know there’s a thread for it, but she’s hunting related.

Pretty pup.
62cbff4f57a72541a0717ab74bf3d4e8.jpg

Probably why she isn’t gun-shy. Ready to watch some football with daddy and I *think* a Todd Orlando special.

dc95cce49c9e0d2092cdfc953e3171a4.jpg

Watching the babies while we sleep.

95ee1e065c7fa947ee2a663e2b27b3ac.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Curious why your breeder talked you out of it. I know there is some back and forth over it in the lab community.

Our breeder (Classic Labs near Brenham) felt that, in order to get silver, they had (to that point) been too closely bred and that her experience with them was that they were too much of a crap-shoot due to borderline in-breeding.  She's a very old-school breeder and was very, very careful with lineages.  That was just one breeder, and my wife really wanted a yellow, so it sealed the deal with Murphy.  Sounds like you got a great dog!  Here's Murphy this last dove season.  Dogs make hunting so much more fun.

IMG-1883.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Our breeder (Classic Labs near Brenham) felt that, in order to get silver, they had (to that point) been too closely bred and that her experience with them was that they were too much of a crap-shoot due to borderline in-breeding.  She's a very old-school breeder and was very, very careful with lineages.  That was just one breeder, and my wife really wanted a yellow, so it sealed the deal with Murphy.  Sounds like you got a great dog!  Here's Murphy this last dove season.  Dogs make hunting so much more fun.

Gotcha.  Yeah there could very well be something to that.  Have to be careful with the hips and elbow/shoulder dysplasia and whatnot.  I took a cursory look into it when we got her, but she definitely didn't come out of a high end kennel.  Good parents onsite, and the paperwork was sorted, so we felt good about it.  Funny thing, I wanted a larger, block headed male, but wife wanted to pick.  Ended up with the exact opposite, lol.  I've had friends go all in on their dogs (3-5k+) with mixed results, so I figured it was still a pretty large crap shoot. 

The guy who did the obedience training, and hunting training did a bang up job on her.  Going back to do some trial works (we are not going to compete) but figured it would pay dividends in her retrieval training, especially when she's hunting several birds (can struggle a bit when more than 2 birds are down).   My buddy just got a little black female.  Shes gorgeous.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Gotcha.  Yeah there could very well be something to that.  Have to be careful with the hips and elbow/shoulder dysplasia and whatnot.  I took a cursory look into it when we got her, but she definitely didn't come out of a high end kennel.  Good parents onsite, and the paperwork was sorted, so we felt good about it.  Funny thing, I wanted a larger, block headed male, but wife wanted to pick.  Ended up with the exact opposite, lol.  I've had friends go all in on their dogs (3-5k+) with mixed results, so I figured it was still a pretty large crap shoot. 

The guy who did the obedience training, and hunting training did a bang up job on her.  Going back to do some trial works (we are not going to compete) but figured it would pay dividends in her retrieval training, especially when she's hunting several birds (can struggle a bit when more than 2 birds are down).   My buddy just got a little black female.  Shes gorgeous.  

That took a dark turn...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess this kind of goes under hunting. Got 1st place at my kids' school sporting clay fundraiser. Thought it was a pretty cool trophy. Belt buckle on insulated cup.382f21319a1d2a8b85df04fa5e7bccf5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some advice on feeding schedules over the spring and summer for the lease? Want to get some protein out and help these guys with some nutrition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Some advice on feeding schedules over the spring and summer for the lease? Want to get some protein out and help these guys with some nutrition. 
Free feed as much as you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:
2 hours ago, Anastasis said:
Some advice on feeding schedules over the spring and summer for the lease? Want to get some protein out and help these guys with some nutrition. 

Free feed as much as you can.

Spoken just like a rich feed store owner!  That protein is expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoken just like a rich feed store owner!  That protein is expensive.
If you are going to feed protein, that's the only way to go to be effective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Some advice on feeding schedules over the spring and summer for the lease? Want to get some protein out and help these guys with some nutrition. 

Start feeding protein at the end of the rut (already come and gone) and continue through fall.  You can slack if there is good spring and summer rain and their normal food sources are available. Protein is a supplement and not a main source of food. 

If they keep eating protein then keep stocking it. 

Edited by deadshank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the deer at my place wont touch protein until April. I have run the all you can eat style and the the timed feed throws. I cant keep the free feeders stocked enough from June thru August they will clean them out in a week. And clean out my wallet.

These days I still see great results running the timers thru the summer. I throw 3 times a day, generally about 12 seconds total daily. I throw an hour after sundown, midnight, and and hour before sunrise. The big bucks have no issue dominating the protein, and each feeder generally holds 2 to 3 good mature bucks all season long. The JV class deer still get some but dont get to hoover it up.

Makes sure you have a good water source close by as well. the deer will love you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect place to spend self isolation: at the lease hog hunting in this kind of weather.  Going with dad tomorrow night. We tried about a month ago with no luck, but we've been running the feeder late from that point until now, and we have a game camera set up to see what's been coming to it. They should be out and about in broad daylight with the wet and the cold, or so we hope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking the same thing @Noogman.  Assuming we don't have a bullshit shelter in place by the end of next week, I'm going to head to the ranch for a few days.  Spring turkey season is upon us.  Wouldn't mind busting a gobbler and maybe a hog or two.  Given the circumstances, I may whack an axis doe if one walks out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This hog showed up and pushed around the pig pipe around for 6.5 straight hours. I posted the first and last pics. There are 20 In between that I didn’t post. It never left. 

1fae8cfb85ad191a2bf095ddeb91c810.jpg
f4c7067b3adebd7a358f7a6f9ed2168d.jpg

Edited by Lat22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



This hog showed up and pushed around the pig pipe around for 6.5 straight hours. I posted the first and last pics. There are 20 In between that I didn’t post. It never left. 


There was still a little corn left in it too. That's a hell of a lot of work for food. I respect that. It may get a pass from me if I see it and there are other targets around it. If I see it alone...I'll have to dispatch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last photo was just before 2am. Another 6.5 hrs of pushing the pipe.
ba0b8776b1e7c68f8617600a08249ac7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they issue a shelter in place, am I going to go to jail if I drive out to my ranch? I wanted to go this weekend but skipped because of the rain. Dammit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our hunting lease landowner gave us detailed instructions for tasks that we need to perform related to water wells, pumps and water troughs at the ranch.  All of which are critical for the survival of livestock -- and which give us cover if we catch any guff from the law about being out and about in violation of any lockdown.  I'm gonna wait out all of this BS at the ranch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

If they issue a shelter in place, am I going to go to jail if I drive out to my ranch? I wanted to go this weekend but skipped because of the rain. Dammit.

I’m not going to pay any attention to that bullshit. If I want to go out and do something, I’m doing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your answer (if questioned) is that what are in route to where you are staying in order to follow the shelter in place orders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And since almost all PDs aren’t dealing with anything non-violent I don’t think they are gonna pull you over on suspicion of non-essential travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2020 at 10:22 AM, Kennythetiger said:

Better name him Steel Shank.  breakfast.

fixed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going this weekend to fill protein feeders.  I think I'll be fine with local PD's between here and there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The boy and I are rolling out Saturday morning as well.  Need to fill protein feeders.  We'll see if we can call in a gobbler.  May sit in the blind a few evenings to see if an axis doe or pig walks out.  I'm so damn ready to get out there and turn off for at least a few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

 

There was still a little corn left in it too. That's a hell of a lot of work for food. I respect that. It may get a pass from me if I see it and there are other targets around it. If I see it alone...I'll have to dispatch it.

For God and Country-Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo.

1c80589d8922b1629d553561857ceb53.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cabowabo said:

 

Love these vids.  So last night, don't ask me why, I went down the rabbit hole HARD on videos of guys hunting rats with thermal sights and these tricked out air rifles.  I rarely get sucked into these anymore, but it was like a time machine.  2 hours later, wha'...where am I.  

Nasty little monster, peeking around corners.....and....wham!  They don't scatter like pigs, so these guys will sit in some old barn all night merking dozens of rats.  Which then led me to videos of guys using terriers on farms and they kill hundreds of rats.  One dude used captured and trained minks...which make this crazy squeaking noise when they murder rats.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those minks are some bad son's.

Packing now to leave for gods country. No stops, straight to the ranch for some rest, hopefully pig killin and some whiskey by a fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah son and I are headed out to our land, gonna check on equipment and load up a feeder.

See if we can bag a hog at dawn or dusk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:


Cabo, care to show specs on your optic? . Great video clarity.
How far out where you?

It's the ATN Thor 4 384 2-8x.  Distance is probably 70 yards or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...