2019 Houston Texans

The Earl of Texas

11 hours ago, !!!HOTDOGS!!! said:

Intersting to watch all the comments after the fact. The Texans took the NFC runner up (and probable champion if not for the worst missed call ever) and gave them all they could handle. Unless you think making a 58 yard field goal as time runs out is a regular and predictable way to win. Guess they really just kicked our ass huh? Just disband the team

The Texans lost. 

The team isn't bad. The coaching staff is bad. 

Fuck BoB. BoB won't get fired until the team loses more and more games. Take the pain. Get BoB out of there.

• Like 3

The sign of a mediocre team is the inability to close out a close game. A bunch of one run losses are still losses. The OL is still trash and DW will be near dead at the end of the year if they don't improve. The secondary is bottom third in the league and the DL is trash outside of JJ. All in all, it adds up to another 9-7 year and a first round exit in the playoffs.

• Like 1

I, too, am inclined to pressure Brees and press the receivers.

However, it’s worth assigning a probability of Brees doing Brees shit and going over top for a layup TD. What’s that probability? I don’t know, but it’s not insignificant. I think he’d already done it in game at least once.

It’s also worth assessing the probability of them missing the best-case 58 yard field goal. What’s that probability? Again, don’t know but again he’d already missed from 56 in the game.

Point being, I’m not buying the line that the formation decision was a missed slam dunk.

Then drop 3 and play man underneath. Don’t drop everybody. And end up looking like a jackass.
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Clowney isn’t worth Kalil Mack money so the conversation is a nonstarter. 

That's not really the problem here.

The problem is the front office effing things up with Clowney, screwing up a trade, and getting little in return for him. 

The incompetence of this organization exceeds all bounds.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Asithappens said:

That's not really the problem here.

The problem is the front office effing things up with Clowney, screwing up a trade, and getting little in return for him. 

The incompetence of this organization exceeds all bounds.

That wasn’t what the previous post was about. It implied the Texans should have extended Clowney and had him on the field vs New Orleans. I agree that they bungled trading him and getting good value. 

2 hours ago, Updawg said:

I wouldn't have extended him. I would have franchise tagged him for the year once they got past that deadline where a trade wouldn't get shit

The Texans couldn't franchise him b/c Clowney got wind that he was to be traded to Miami so he refused to sign the contract, iirc. Maybe the Texans wanted to franchise tag him (which I think is true) but they fucked it up. Clowney called their bluff and basically threatened to sit out a year. The Texans panicked and sent him packing to Seattle for a pittance. PLUS, the Texans are paying about 7 million of his salary this year. Yeah Texans!

so... here's what i still don't understand...

nfl defense mantra: stop the run.

Clowney proves to be a run stopper. create negative plays. sure, he doesn't have jj watt sack numbers, but jj doesn't have clowney tackle for loss numbers and jj is getting old (mostly via injury). clowney is probably the 2nd best defender, if not the best.

"clowney doesn't deserve to get paid, because he didn't have elite sack numbers."

wtf? clowney had elite negative play numbers,and he was likely to be the best defensive player on the team. (I'm really concerned about jj watt. he looked realy S L O W against NO.)

nah, we'll replace him with two scrubs and what is likely to be someone we'll cut in the future. don't wanna pay our soon-to-be best player like he's a that.

the texans thought they were doing the patriot thing and not paying for elite level potential...

i would say, "ok, i see where you're going.." had they not extended Zach Martin, but they did, so I don't what they're thinking.

who is the best defender on the Texans now?

ramble ramble, this is crazy...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Watt could be done for.

He's what, 30? He wasn't as good last year as he was in prior years, and in the opener he did nothing. 

He also looked this bad in the 1st game last year, before turning it on. With 0 snaps played during the preseason, Watt is going to take a few games to get into real game shape.

Edited by HtownHorn

It was also against the saints, their OL is a strong group and Brees doesn’t hold the ball. Watt will be fine and a top 5 DL in the league over the course of the season.

I think the issue with Clowney was his injury history, microfracture etc... I think we wanted protection form that and obviously he didn’t.

I think the Texans botched how they handled it, because there is no way the dude sits out and passes on ~16M. He would have played, if he dogs it he doesn’t get paid. If he kills it, then you can actually get real assets for him.

Exactly. He's playing this year to get a huge contract after whether it's with the Texans or not. I don't think he would sit out the whole year so franchise him instead of trading for nothing. After the year you could still negotiate with him on a long term deal for a a trade to somewhere he wants to get traded to.
But he just wasn't Bob's kind of guy and had to go no matter what

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Asithappens said:

The Texans couldn't franchise him b/c Clowney got wind that he was to be traded to Miami so he refused to sign the contract, iirc. Maybe the Texans wanted to franchise tag him (which I think is true) but they fucked it up. Clowney called their bluff and basically threatened to sit out a year. The Texans panicked and sent him packing to Seattle for a pittance. PLUS, the Texans are paying about 7 million of his salary this year. Yeah Texans!

The Texans DID place franchise tag on Clowney.

The Texans and Clowney could not agree on a long-term deal, in part because Texans tagged him/negotiated as if he was an OLB, and Clowney considered himself a DE -- the franchise amount is about $1.5 million/season higher for DE and DE salary's are higher.

At that point, Clowney's options were a) sign the franchise tender and be under contract to Houston, or b) hold out/not play/not be paid.

Clowney learned that the Texans were considering trading him after he signed tender, so he didn't sign. That left Clowney will all of the leverage, as the Texans had a $15+ million asset they couldn't not play or trade.

With Clowney (and his "approved" teams) holding the cards, Texans got taken in the subsequent trade.

Additionally, there are reports that Clowney approached Texans about signing tender if Texans agreed not to trade him in 2019, but Texans said no. If true, that shows the level of strive between Clowney and BoB ....

37 minutes ago, Jacob McCandles said:

The Texans DID place franchise tag on Clowney.

The Texans and Clowney could not agree on a long-term deal, in part because Texans tagged him/negotiated as if he was an OLB, and Clowney considered himself a DE -- the franchise amount is about $1.5 million/season higher for DE and DE salary's are higher.

At that point, Clowney's options were a) sign the franchise tender and be under contract to Houston, or b) hold out/not play/not be paid.

Clowney learned that the Texans were considering trading him after he signed tender, so he didn't sign. That left Clowney will all of the leverage, as the Texans had a $15+ million asset they couldn't not play or trade.

With Clowney (and his "approved" teams) holding the cards, Texans got taken in the subsequent trade.

Additionally, there are reports that Clowney approached Texans about signing tender if Texans agreed not to trade him in 2019, but Texans said no. If true, that shows the level of strive between Clowney and BoB ....

thanks for the clarification. I'll strife to do better next time.  :)

But I think we both agree that this scenario just underscores the incompetence of the Texans organization. 

This team deserves better. 

1 minute ago, Asithappens said:

thanks for the clarification. I'll strife to do better next time.  :)

But I think we both agree that this scenario just underscores the incompetence of the Texans organization. 

This team deserves better. 

Agreed that the Texans are inept ... from the top down Bob/Cal, Smith/Gaines, BoB. It is the city that deserves better. Cal should buy Crane and Luhnow lunch and get some good advice. P.S. Fuck Bud for moving the Oilers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asithappens said:

I thought we were talking about this year?

Are you trying to challenge Greenspoint for biggest Texans hater award? JJ didn’t play in the preseason and he was frequently double teamed on Monday night. You are ready to declare him washed up?

I don’t disagree that the Texans are a mismanaged franchise. Every GM they’ve had sucked. They’ve sine waved between fringe playoff team to worst record over their history, based usually on blind luck of hitting unexpected superstars (Dre, JJ, Hopkins) while their #1 overalls (Carr, Mario, Clowney) were never the best player on their side of the ball, let alone the entire team. Giving up first rounders for Babin, Travis Johnson, Okoye, Kevin Johnson, and #35 to dump Osweiler...oomph.

They fucked the Clowney thing up plain. If he wouldn’t budge off demanding top end pay and they knew they didn’t think he was worth it, they should have traded him last year when the Raiders traded Mack. If they didn’t determine those things until after the season, they should have negotiated with him and if he wanted too much, trade him before the July extension deadline. By the time they fucked around and missed that deadline, they should have just kept his rights and waited for him to show up after Week 8 to get half his season’s worth of franchise money and year of credit to ensure that next year he’d qualify for Franchise Year 2 money (still disputed if refusing to sign counts as one year credit towards bumping up to the next year’s franchise multiplier). Getting half a season of pissed off Clowney auditioning for other teams might have been better production than giving him a mega extension and risking him being fat and happy (lazy). Who knows how far the Texans go with that addition, probably more value than a 3rd round pick. 

Nonetheless, what started this chain of posts was the comment that Clowney should be out there and Texans would’ve won, meaning they should have paid him. He is not worth Mack Von Miller, and Aaron Donald money, no disrespect to Snacks. Find what “great run stopper” or “second best DL on your team” salaries are, get Clowney to agree to it, and sure he’d be worth it. Over the next couple years, they will have a lot of money tied up in Watson, Tunsil (hopefully), Hopkins, and the end of JJ’s contract. Giving Clowney a mega contract for good run defense that couldn’t help beat the Colts is not good value. 

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Like 1

Broadcast crew is just awful.
Dude actually said that the Jaguars have figured out the Texans' tendencies and they know that when Houston goes empty backfied, they like to throw it or call a QB run.  As opposed to punting, I guess?
so, they figured out the ghost RB play isn't really real?

36 minutes ago, Snacks said:
39 minutes ago, TexasMan said:
I wish I could sync up the game Vander Meer and Ware on the radio call. 

can't stand them, either

You don’t like his stupid “ROCK AND ROLL” yell?  Sports radio told me this game was going to be a blowout.  

• Like 1