Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

(Justin Wells) Just In Time Nightly Notes - 2/10/21

Spoiler

QB Jake Strong, Justin Northwest (2023): With all the quarterback talk for the C/O 2022, let's look at one from the following cycle. The 6-foot-1, 175-pounder caught my eye during the Pylon 7v7 tournament with a strong arm, quick release, and exuding leadership skills. Strong is a self-motivated kid with high expectations.

"I felt pretty good today," said Strong, on his Pylon performance. "We didn't click like we'd hoped, but it is our first tournament, and hopefully we'll build off this. I want to get better with my deep ball. Deep ball accuracy, and my mental side. I just want to keep learning and keep studying."

After collecting 2,391 yards and 29 touchdowns through the air, he added 505 yards and seven scores on the ground. Despite only holding one offer - Illinois State - Strong is beginning to hit player personnel and recruiting directors inbox.

"I've been hearing from USC, Texas, Baylor, OU, and Texas A&M," said Strong. "I'd love to visit to UT. I'm open to what the new coaches are doing."

He's got a great feel for the position, and we've yet to see who will be the top passing prospect in Texas for 2023. I could see his offers coming this spring or summer time.

CB/ATH Javien Toviano, Arlington Martin (2023): One of the brightest stars on a star-studded defense, the junior-to-be is just now been recognized for his dynamic playmaking ability on both sides of the ball for Arlington Martin.

With six early offers, the 6-foot-0,185-pounder was named District 8-6A Defensive Newcomer of the Year after his breakout season. Texas quickly re-offered.

“The message from Texas was they are just really excited about what type of player I am,” said Toviano. “And how good my film is and it’s just hard to not re-offer someone of my caliber.”

Despite Ernest Cooper's flirtation with Stanford, Martin prospects like the Longhorns. From 2021 signee Morice Blackwell, to leading for 2022 LB Trevell Johnson, Toviano sees a bright future in the ATX.

“This new coaching staff, you can tell something’s different on the Forty Acres right now.”

Toviano has the speed, frame, and quickness to play cornerback on the next level. He combines body control with effortless change in direction. Arlington Martin is one hell of a pipeline if you can swing it. Others are catching on.

"Arkansas, Washington State, and Georgia Tech have been the most recent and persistent,” said Toviano.

His teammate, Trevell Johnson, told IT he's announcing his decision on Saturday evening. Texas and Arlington Martin have a nice little thing going. Johnson told IT as much.

"(UT's) message was they'd love me in Austin," said Johnson. "This isn't the type of staff to just hand out offers. They want guys that fit their academic, character, and style of play. I feel like Morice (Blackwell) is going to make a big impact next year."

DE David "DJ" Hicks, Katy Morton Ranch (2023): The 6-foot-4, 245-pounder is already at a dominating size, especially for his age. He already holds 15 offers and that list is only growing.

After a fantastic sophomore season in which he notched 52 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, three forced fumbles, and five sacks, the young athletic defender has many things he’d like to improve on during the off-season.

“I want to work on everything, to be honest,” said Hicks. “The main two are speed and getting better hands. I am a hard-working player and a leader.”

With offers from Texas, OU, Texas A&M, Washington, and TCU, among others, two teams are recruiting him the hardest.

“Probably Texas A&M and Arizona State,” Hicks said.

The Texas offer caught his attention.

“It meant a lot,” Hicks said. “I grew up watching (Texas) and they said they like my film and the way I use my hands.”

When you're building programs around the line of scrimmage, Hicks is a no-brainer for Bo Davis and staff.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Justin Wells) Just In Time Nightly Notes - 2/10/21

Hide contents

QB Jake Strong, Justin Northwest (2023): With all the quarterback talk for the C/O 2022, let's look at one from the following cycle. The 6-foot-1, 175-pounder caught my eye during the Pylon 7v7 tournament with a strong arm, quick release, and exuding leadership skills. Strong is a self-motivated kid with high expectations.

"I felt pretty good today," said Strong, on his Pylon performance. "We didn't click like we'd hoped, but it is our first tournament, and hopefully we'll build off this. I want to get better with my deep ball. Deep ball accuracy, and my mental side. I just want to keep learning and keep studying."

After collecting 2,391 yards and 29 touchdowns through the air, he added 505 yards and seven scores on the ground. Despite only holding one offer - Illinois State - Strong is beginning to hit player personnel and recruiting directors inbox.

"I've been hearing from USC, Texas, Baylor, OU, and Texas A&M," said Strong. "I'd love to visit to UT. I'm open to what the new coaches are doing."

He's got a great feel for the position, and we've yet to see who will be the top passing prospect in Texas for 2023. I could see his offers coming this spring or summer time.

CB/ATH Javien Toviano, Arlington Martin (2023): One of the brightest stars on a star-studded defense, the junior-to-be is just now been recognized for his dynamic playmaking ability on both sides of the ball for Arlington Martin.

With six early offers, the 6-foot-0,185-pounder was named District 8-6A Defensive Newcomer of the Year after his breakout season. Texas quickly re-offered.

“The message from Texas was they are just really excited about what type of player I am,” said Toviano. “And how good my film is and it’s just hard to not re-offer someone of my caliber.”

Despite Ernest Cooper's flirtation with Stanford, Martin prospects like the Longhorns. From 2021 signee Morice Blackwell, to leading for 2022 LB Trevell Johnson, Toviano sees a bright future in the ATX.

“This new coaching staff, you can tell something’s different on the Forty Acres right now.”

Toviano has the speed, frame, and quickness to play cornerback on the next level. He combines body control with effortless change in direction. Arlington Martin is one hell of a pipeline if you can swing it. Others are catching on.

"Arkansas, Washington State, and Georgia Tech have been the most recent and persistent,” said Toviano.

His teammate, Trevell Johnson, told IT he's announcing his decision on Saturday evening. Texas and Arlington Martin have a nice little thing going. Johnson told IT as much.

"(UT's) message was they'd love me in Austin," said Johnson. "This isn't the type of staff to just hand out offers. They want guys that fit their academic, character, and style of play. I feel like Morice (Blackwell) is going to make a big impact next year."

DE David "DJ" Hicks, Katy Morton Ranch (2023): The 6-foot-4, 245-pounder is already at a dominating size, especially for his age. He already holds 15 offers and that list is only growing.

After a fantastic sophomore season in which he notched 52 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, three forced fumbles, and five sacks, the young athletic defender has many things he’d like to improve on during the off-season.

“I want to work on everything, to be honest,” said Hicks. “The main two are speed and getting better hands. I am a hard-working player and a leader.”

With offers from Texas, OU, Texas A&M, Washington, and TCU, among others, two teams are recruiting him the hardest.

“Probably Texas A&M and Arizona State,” Hicks said.

The Texas offer caught his attention.

“It meant a lot,” Hicks said. “I grew up watching (Texas) and they said they like my film and the way I use my hands.”

When you're building programs around the line of scrimmage, Hicks is a no-brainer for Bo Davis and staff.

"After collecting 2,391 yards and 29 touchdowns through the air, he added 505 yards and seven scores on the ground."

So he only passed for the first 7 games and only ran the ball during the remaining games?

These guys are terrible writers.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Justin Wells notes

Spoiler

DE Derrick Leblanc, Osceola (Kissimmee, FL) (2023): The 6-foot-5, 240-pound defensive end from the Sunshine State was quite familiar with a few of the new Texas coaches when they called to re-offer the four-star with 40 offers.

After getting to know a few staffers at Alabama, and now in Austin, Leblanc is eager to see what they do at Texas.

“It’s the same love," said Leblanc, from UT's new coaches. "I get it from the staff showing me all the attention. I'm looking for a lot of things in a program. Education, the environment, graduation rate, depth chart, and the little things.”

Alabama, Georgia, and LSU are setting the pace here, but it's another example of the staff going after difference-makers.

LB Anthony Hill Jr, Denton Ryan (2023):

After putting in work covering backs and receivers at Pylon 7v7 last weekend, it was just another day of work for the natural inside backer.

Already very familiar with the Longhorns, Texas recently extended the four-star with a re-offer from the new staff.

“(UT’s) message was keeping working hard, be yourself, and everything will go as planned,” said Hill junior.

Hill mentioned UT’s tradition, fans, and accomplishments in things he likes about the Horns.

After garnering a 5A-DI state championship last month, Hill's phone continues to blow up. Alabama, Michigan, Texas A&M, LSU, and Oklahoma continue to pursue the 6-foot-2, 220-pounder with a 4.76 40 and 4.34 shuttle. He was named first-team MaxPreps Sophomore All-American and the District 5-5A-I Defensive Newcomer of the Year as a sophomore.

Texas has a shot here, but the SEC leads this race.