Jump to content
Kermit

San Antonio Spurs 2019-2020 season thread: Just here for the HEB commercials

Recommended Posts

So, DeRozan CAN shoot threes. Interesting. 

Fuck the offseason, let’s get this shit started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope someone hard fouls Morris in the opener with the Knicks. That asshole deserves some retribution for the shit he pulled with the spurs after they shook up their roster to accommodate him only to back out of the deal and sign with the shitty Knicks. Morris would've played a lot of minutes with the Spurs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Horn of Gabriel said:

Rep for picking a good thread title and one that DIDN’T use he-who-shall-not-be-named.

Rep Mitch. It’s his. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chad said:

I hope someone hard fouls Morris in the opener with the Knicks. That asshole deserves some retribution for the shit he pulled with the spurs after they shook up their roster to accommodate him only to back out of the deal and sign with the shitty Knicks. Morris would've played a lot of minutes with the Spurs.

Isn't playing for the Knicks punishment enough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chad said:

I hope someone hard fouls Morris in the opener with the Knicks. That asshole deserves some retribution for the shit he pulled with the spurs after they shook up their roster to accommodate him only to back out of the deal and sign with the shitty Knicks. Morris would've played a lot of minutes with the Spurs.

I hope he and Kawhi go up together when the Knicks play the Clippers and they come down on each other's feet each simultaneously  blowing out their ACLs, MCLs, and every other cl in the leg ending their careers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hate said:

I hope he and Kawhi go up together when the Knicks play the Clippers and they come down on each other's feet each simultaneously  blowing out their ACLs, MCLs, and every other cl in the leg ending their careers. 

Or just get Lyman Bostock'd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I’m ready for The Return Of DeJounte.

This. He will be a big boost to the defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can’t muster much enthusiasm. At least, not yet. I have the Astros and Texas football to fret over for now. I’m sure there will be plenty of time to lament the Spurs after that. 

That said, and with no knowledge even of what the final roster looks like, I’ll predict our record: 45-37. Times are hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we're headed for a 3rd straight one and done, bottom 4 seed.  As LMA and Derozan continue declination, White, Murray and Lonnie should all be getting better.  It's a bit frustrating because we don't seem to have a coherent L-T plan and play year to year.  Rumor and from watching their summer league, neither rookie is ready for the big show, so they'll spend a ton of time in Austin.  I think the biggest frustration will be seeing a guy like Marco stealing minutes from Lonnie, who needs them for his development and Patty taking minutes away from Derrick.  I've been critical of the team's strategic maneuvers the last couple of years as this was my biggest fear.  Being good enough to barely make the playoffs and sink further and further in mediocrity.  We almost need something to shake up the organization and get them out of their comfort zone so we can move on and basically trade away all of our older pieces.  LMA demanding a trade may be the best thing for both parties and I wouldn't be angry if he did.  He has a non-guaranteed year after this season while DD has a player option.  With China possibly affecting the salary cap projections of future years, they both would be grossly overpaid.  Rather trade them to contenders, let the young guys play, take our lumps and get into the lottery along with acquiring some cheaper assets.  The Mediocrity Malaise has set in....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I think we're headed for a 3rd straight one and done, bottom 4 seed.  As LMA and Derozan continue declination, White, Murray and Lonnie should all be getting better.  It's a bit frustrating because we don't seem to have a coherent L-T plan and play year to year.  Rumor and from watching their summer league, neither rookie is ready for the big show, so they'll spend a ton of time in Austin.  I think the biggest frustration will be seeing a guy like Marco stealing minutes from Lonnie, who needs them for his development and Patty taking minutes away from Derrick.  I've been critical of the team's strategic maneuvers the last couple of years as this was my biggest fear.  Being good enough to barely make the playoffs and sink further and further in mediocrity.  We almost need something to shake up the organization and get them out of their comfort zone so we can move on and basically trade away all of our older pieces.  LMA demanding a trade may be the best thing for both parties and I wouldn't be angry if he did.  He has a non-guaranteed year after this season while DD has a player option.  With China possibly affecting the salary cap projections of future years, they both would be grossly overpaid.  Rather trade them to contenders, let the young guys play, take our lumps and get into the lottery along with acquiring some cheaper assets.  The Mediocrity Malaise has set in....

 

I feel like a one and done bottom 4 seed would be an accomplishment in this conference. Making the playoffs should be the goal.

As for the rest.... we know that they aren't going to tank, no matter what. They are more likely to extend Derozen than trade him, sadly. Aldridge, who the fuck knows what he wants. He seems happier getting his numbers on a marginal playoff team than truly competing for a ring. Still, those two guys are big enough difference makers in the regular season at least to maintain competitiveness. I lived through 21-61 and as much as I enjoyed the artistic stylings of Cadillac Anderson and Dallas Comegys, I would prefer not to revisit those days.

I'm excited about watching Murray, White and Walker play. I'm not as concerned about Marco or Patty stealing their minutes as you are. Pop essentially ran Parker out of town for Murray. If he is not beholden to Tony, then he's not going to short circuit White's development especially, and also Walker's if he is the more productive player.

The two rookies are going to see a lot of Austin. They have, if my count is correct, 9 guys 26 years old or younger on the roster and that doesn't include two-way projects like Weatherspoon. Murray, Walker, Samanic and Johnson are all 22 years old or younger. They may not have blown it up, but make no mistake, this is a full on youth movement. You can't argue with their record in player development. We will see if they can luck out again like they did with Kawhi and find another superstar... odds are certainly against it but it seems like they are firing as many bullets as they can and hope they hit something. 

I honestly don't mind the path of "build with youth while trying to maintain the culture of winning," but it is going to require quite a bit of patience. We will see if it pays off, but it certainly isn't going to be this season. So I'm just going to enjoy the ride and look for growth in the young guys. If they make the playoffs and catch a team with an injured star or whatever, you never know what could happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I feel like a one and done bottom 4 seed would be an accomplishment in this conference. Making the playoffs should be the goal.

As for the rest.... we know that they aren't going to tank, no matter what. They are more likely to extend Derozen than trade him, sadly. Aldridge, who the fuck knows what he wants. He seems happier getting his numbers on a marginal playoff team than truly competing for a ring. Still, those two guys are big enough difference makers in the regular season at least to maintain competitiveness. I lived through 21-61 and as much as I enjoyed the artistic stylings of Cadillac Anderson and Dallas Comegys, I would prefer not to revisit those days.

I'm excited about watching Murray, White and Walker play. I'm not as concerned about Marco or Patty stealing their minutes as you are. Pop essentially ran Parker out of town for Murray. If he is not beholden to Tony, then he's not going to short circuit White's development especially, and also Walker's if he is the more productive player.

The two rookies are going to see a lot of Austin. They have, if my count is correct, 9 guys 26 years old or younger on the roster and that doesn't include two-way projects like Weatherspoon. Murray, Walker, Samanic and Johnson are all 22 years old or younger. They may not have blown it up, but make no mistake, this is a full on youth movement. You can't argue with their record in player development. We will see if they can luck out again like they did with Kawhi and find another superstar... odds are certainly against it but it seems like they are firing as many bullets as they can and hope they hit something. 

I honestly don't mind the path of "build with youth while trying to maintain the culture of winning," but it is going to require quite a bit of patience. We will see if it pays off, but it certainly isn't going to be this season. So I'm just going to enjoy the ride and look for growth in the young guys. If they make the playoffs and catch a team with an injured star or whatever, you never know what could happen.

This is the issue when you want to rebuild, folks rush to inaccurately call it tanking.  You can try to cash in on your older assets while they still have value and not be full out tanking.  You can play and strive to win without tanking.  You can build a culture of winning and competition without tanking.  No one's saying they should hide players on the IL, reduce minutes of good young players and play scrubs.  But of all those guys under 26, how many have All-Star ceiling?  What's the percentage of them getting there?  Taking out the rookies, although I think we can probably assume Weatherspoon (a little older rookie) will have a tough time getting there.  I'm willing to bet that without injury, 6 of the top 10 in minutes for this team will be guys over 30 with 4 out of the top 6/7 will be those 30+ guys while we remain in the playoff hunt.  I think trying to win with younger, cost controlled assets is laudable as culture is something inherent in the Spurs' DNA, but we're going to try to win with a definite mix of old and young with older guys getting the benefit of the doubt with Pop.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

 

 

 

 

 

 

So in 2024, he will be 26 years old and making $16 million-ish depending on how it's structured? As long as he doesn't have chronic injuries, this seems like a great deal for the team. Not that Murray is in the same category, but for comparison / salary cap hell purposes, Damian Lillard is set to make $203 million over the same time period plus another $54 million the year after when he's 34 years old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see eye to eye with y'all playoff expectation wise. Last season the Spurs took the Nuggets to game 7 before shitting the bed towards the end of that game when it was a tight game. Had the Spurs advanced to the semis they could've gotten past Portland to reach the WCF, but yeah that would've been where they ultimately reached a screeching halt. I'm figuring somewhere along the lines of a 4-6 seed with a trip to the semis, possibly further depending on the matchup. My only concern is a lack of front court depth, losing out on Morris and having to sign Lyles hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

 

 

 

 

 

 

I think it's a good risk to extend DJM.  They understand how his rehab is going and if he gets his athleticism back then he's a jump shot away from being near AS level.

Somethings gotta give soon.... Marco's most likely gone after this year (maybe before) but I think the decision on DD will be interesting.

DJM also signed a shoe deal..... joining Kawhi... with shoes.

 

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2019 at 11:57 PM, Hate said:

I hope he and Kawhi go up together when the Knicks play the Clippers and they come down on each other's feet each simultaneously  blowing out their ACLs, MCLs, and every other cl in the leg ending their careers. 

Go ahead and somehow get Derek Fisher involved in that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chad said:

I don't see eye to eye with y'all playoff expectation wise. Last season the Spurs took the Nuggets to game 7 before shitting the bed towards the end of that game when it was a tight game. Had the Spurs advanced to the semis they could've gotten past Portland to reach the WCF, but yeah that would've been where they ultimately reached a screeching halt. I'm figuring somewhere along the lines of a 4-6 seed with a trip to the semis, possibly further depending on the matchup. My only concern is a lack of front court depth, losing out on Morris and having to sign Lyles hurt.

The west is so much better and deeper this season. The spurs should be better but may still wind up with a worse record and seed.  And it's not just the top of the conference with the Lakers and Clippers that got better, it's the bottom too with Dallas and Phoenix and Sacramento. You aren't going to be able to take very many nights off and get away with a W. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm ready, let's get this season started. I'm bullish, we're going to have defense again and I'm betting on that. This is the year of Dejounte and Derrick White. Luka and Sheldon will have their time a year or two from now, like every project we've ever drafted. Here's to hoping that Lonnie cracks the 10-man sooner rather than later. I think we'll still wind up seeing him start off at 10 mins a night or so, the earlier he can show out and pass up Belli the better. Just start on the defensive end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The west is so much better and deeper this season. The spurs should be better but may still wind up with a worse record and seed.  And it's not just the top of the conference with the Lakers and Clippers that got better, it's the bottom too with Dallas and Phoenix and Sacramento. You aren't going to be able to take very many nights off and get away with a W. 

You're right. The West is going to be a meat grinder this season, but it usually tends to be year in and year out. Murray is back and appears to be 100% with an improved offensive game, White and Forbes gained a ton of valuable experience and minutes last season and I'm holding out hope that if the Spurs can remain healthy they can make some noise in the post season. Pop should be able to assemble several intriguing small ball lineups, he certainly has the personnel to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other subtle flavor I tasted in the Kool-Aid is the improvement of Bryn Forbes alongside a more optimized lineup (with DJ at PG). There's been rumblings this offseason about his shot looking even better. Him running the floor with DJ and Derrick should be fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that they’ve shut down NBAstreams on reddit where is the go-to for us out of towns to watch that doesn’t involve league pass?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LFS said:

gotta get out and run.  

feed wiley peck on the breaks. 

 

spacer.png

The season has already exceeded expectations with this post alone. I mean, there are obscure Spurs references... and then there are obscure Spurs references. And Wiley Peck is about as obscure as they get. Alfrederick Hughes? I mean, everyone has heard of Alfrederick Hughes. But you're going way deep to pull Wiley Peck out of your ass. Well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I gotta agree with Mitch on that one.  I've been a fan since day one they moved to SA and I don't think that Wiley Peck has ever crossed my mind before.  And to post a pic of them playing against the Kansas City Kings??!!  I can't rep that post enough.  I'm trying to come up with another obscure reference that even comes close to that, but I dumbfounded.  I'm sure most Spurs fans are aware of the legend of the smoking Montenegroan (sp? since it is now what was the former Yugoslavia), Žarko Paspalj .  I know everyone knows about Alfredrick Hughes as Mitch mentioned.  Wiley Peck is so random that I can't even find what team he was on.  Basketball reference doesn't show him on the roster of the 1978-1979 team he was allegedly on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think WP was the guy who knocked hisselfs out in college. Slammed a ball, ball gets revenge by bouncing up - w/ alacrity - striking the aforementioned Peck in the noggin', rendering said Peck unconscious.

Spurs like what they see - draft Peck in the 1st round. He appears in - never starts - 52 games in his lone NBA tour.

Drafting was mostly a SWAG back in the days. 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah... I was trying to come up with a better one, but I may have to concede on Wiley Peck.

Maybe Simmie Hill, but he was ABA. That kinda feels like cheating. Moe Layton had an actual semblance of a career. Geoff "The Cookie Monster" Crompton? He was memorable at least for being fat. How about Ozell Jones? 

Image result for ozell jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whenever I think of a "Cookie" for the Spurs, I always think of Jeff "Cookie" Cook.

61en4ergsGL._SX425_.jpg

I seem to remember him beating the Nuggets with a tip in at the buzzer back when the opening rounds of the playoffs were best of three series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Now that they’ve shut down NBAstreams on reddit where is the go-to for us out of towns to watch that doesn’t involve league pass?


r/basketbolt
r/nbathunder sometimes I think too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

Now that they’ve shut down NBAstreams on reddit where is the go-to for us out of towns to watch that doesn’t involve league pass?

Only sharing cuz you can eat up your weight in groceries.

For all sports, start here:

https://sportsurge.net/#/groups/0

For NBA hoops, start here:

https://sportsurge.net/#/events/19

And for tonight's eSpurs game, start here:

https://sportsurge.net/#/streamlist/1221

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I have no idea how actually good this team is but they are young and athletic and bouncy and more active than any Spurs team I can remember in recent memory. Then of course there's also LaMarcus Aldridge. Might not be a contender but they should be entertaining to watch this year.

Edited by BradInATX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following the box score. Looks like Patty is off to a great shooting start on the year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

04922f8bfd26e4a1c7a60458573fceb8.jpg

Well Poeltl will get his ass busted at least once tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...