cabowabo

The Night Vision Fanatics Thread

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Wild pigs feed a lot on acorns, which are very bitter.  The meat is inedible except cooked some special ways.

It does seem like a waste, but the pigs are really, really destructive and breed really, really fast.  Kind of unusual to have a pest animal that's so large, but there it is.

I've seen the destruction they've wrought and won't argue their merits.  Just was hoping they'd have some kind of way of being prepared.  They don't really have many predators here so their large litters pretty much grow up quick to reproduce more.   This is a pretty good blog for finding birds and animals in the DFW area: https://dfwurbanwildlife.com/2014/12/03/chris-jacksons-dfw-urban-wildlife/what-is-the-great-trinity-forest/  But I've seen quite a few feral hogs in some of these areas.  

6 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

I've seen the destruction they've wrought and won't argue their merits.  Just was hoping they'd have some kind of way of being prepared.  They don't really have many predators here so their large litters pretty much grow up quick to reproduce more.   This is a pretty good blog for finding birds and animals in the DFW area: https://dfwurbanwildlife.com/2014/12/03/chris-jacksons-dfw-urban-wildlife/what-is-the-great-trinity-forest/  But I've seen quite a few feral hogs in some of these areas.  

I mountain bike at Goat Island Preserve, down there, fairly often.  It's not a super-challenging trail, but is more "in the woods" than any other in Dallas and therefore kind of cool.  It runs by Trinity Lock & Dam No. 2.  One of the loops is called "wild hogs," but I've never seen any. 

Plenty of people eat wild hogs. I’ve had quite a few and they’re fine.

20 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Wild pigs feed a lot on acorns, which are very bitter.  The meat is inedible except cooked some special ways.

Did I really just read this?

He’s right. The specials ways to cook them are just like a store bought hog.

Might need some Italian dressing or liquid smoke though.

29 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

In north Texas it tends to be true.  Between that and a lack of fat, cooking them can be a pain in the ass.

Winter hogs carry plenty of fat. And anything under 125# or so is delicious without much work.  Bigger ones tend to be a bit more meh, but are plenty fine to eat, acorns or otherwise.  Whitetails hoover acorns too, and are also delicious. 

I use the tenderloins for sausage for gosh sakes. Some hogs have little fat caps, some don’t. I’ll add fat when I need to. I would never use beef tenderloin to make jerky, but when you have a shit load of hogs to shoot, why not?

Red oak acorns are bitter because they have a lot of tannins. White oak acorns don't have so much tannin in them and aren't really bitter. The tannins act like a preservative and keep the red oak acorns good longer. But they also make them bitter, so they get eaten last.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:34 AM, HOOKEM4 said:

Shooting deer at night is illegal. You said "I want to hunt white tail, other deer or pigs at night." I just want to make sure you know this fact. Wouldn't want you getting hung up by the game warden out of ignorance.

And keeping aquatic rodents, you know, within city limits, uh, well, that ain’t legal either...

I am hoping it will be minimal since going on my AR15. Had a special where they threw in their one piece mount amd no freight ($15 savings there!!!!!1!!1!!)

Got it in today.

I could easily pick up trees in the backyard and I have one of those green electrical metal boxes 125ish yards away and it was glowing, I could also see the sticker on the box for some reason. You would think the temperature would be the same. Comparing to YT videos with guys running FLIR 5k scopes, yea, big difference. No animals or people to see yet, i scanned for squirrels and coons but none to be found. (Would have seen them, i could see leaves)

Give me a few weeks to do a better review, probably going to the lease in the next 2 weeks. But so far, impressed for the absolute king of entry level thermal scopes.

Got it in today.

I could easily pick up trees in the backyard and I have one of those green electrical metal boxes 125ish yards away and it was glowing, I could also see the sticker on the box for some reason. You would think the temperature would be the same. Comparing to YT videos with guys running FLIR 5k scopes, yea, big difference. No animals or people to see yet, i scanned for squirrels and coons but none to be found. (Would have seen them, i could see leaves)

Give me a few weeks to do a better review, probably going to the lease in the next 2 weeks. But so far, impressed for the absolute king of entry level thermal scopes.
@markstanco Full report Sargeant!

[mention=1619]markstanco[/mention] Full report Sargeant!
I haven't got to hunt yet and may not for a long time. MRI on my shooting shoulder yesterday and back to the doc Tuesday. May need surgery.

I haven't got to hunt yet and may not for a long time. MRI on my shooting shoulder yesterday and back to the doc Tuesday. May need surgery.

Let me use it then.

Had a conversation with a guy who assembles NVG.  Looks like I'm honing in on White Phosphorus PSV-14, Gen 3.

Thoughts?

That’s supposed to be top of the line badass stuff for civilians. I’d love to get some, but I wanna say when I looked earlier this year there was like $5000 difference between white and green.

I’m also kind of finding out that a brand is really only as good as a warranty and the person constructing the unit. It sounds like for civilian use, everyone is buying the same internal components and assembling into either their housing or common housings. Chatting with this guy in Tulsa it sounds like I can get into a green PSV14 for 3k. 

Yep. That mono which is what I want. Going to try and meet with him this week. Will let you know my feel. 

Isn't the PVS14 like 20 year old tech now? How is it so expensive? I get supply and demand and all that, but the marginal cost to produce a few for civilians after government contracts can't be that high.

We have a helmet mounted PVS14.  It's really cool and works great for short distances.  If you're wanting to scan a field for hogs or coyotes, you won't see anything much past 100 yards. 

I looked into a helmet/goggle set up. I pissed away my throw away money on other stuff (I’m looking at you Mark 23). Maybe in the next couple of years.

12 hours ago, Lat22 said:

We have a helmet mounted PVS14.  It's really cool and works great for short distances.  If you're wanting to scan a field for hogs or coyotes, you won't see anything much past 100 yards. 

I’m pairing with an Illuminator which I was told gets you about 150.